main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Could Luke die in Episode VII?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Drewdude91, Sep 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    But not Artoo. Don't say it. Not him.
    If BB8 turns to the Dark Side and slays R2, there'll be Hell to pay.

JediKnightWax likes this.
  2. darthtimetraveller

darthtimetraveller Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2015
    Didn't GL say at one point that Luke dies naturally (similar to Yoda) at a very old age? I know he's not calling the shots anymore, but imo Disney would be absolutely stupid to kill off Luke too early. I think he'll play a huge part in 8 & 9, and either die in 9 or live on into legend (with even possible cameos in 10 - 12).

nightangel likes this.
  3. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

Please no 10-12 I think the saga should end after 9 and they just do spin offs.

4. darthYENIK

darthYENIK Jedi Master star 2

Oct 3, 2003
    I really feel like Luke will fill Obi Wan's role as mentor, as well as dying to become a force ghost to Finn.

5. CarboniteSolo

CarboniteSolo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 11, 2013
    If Luke does die, it won't be until Episode 8 or 9, the heroine must go it alone to finish the quest, just as Luke did. He'll tell her what to do and will reveal himself when needed.

I personally think he'll vanish, just as Obi-wan did.

6. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    I hope not.

7. darthtimetraveller

darthtimetraveller Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2015

I can see what you're saying, and i might agree with you here, but i think Disney will want to milk it for all it's worth.

8. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

I know thats probably whats going to happen but we got 10 or so years until then.

darthtimetraveller likes this.
  9. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I haven't listened, so this is in a vacuum. As I have no context, I will not speak to the podcast, specifically.

But I will say this much: Other than an instance such as a "That Kylo! He killed Han and I can't wait for him to get his comeuppance" kind of thing (which I can totally understand), I think anyone actively wanting a character to die -- actually hoping for it to occur -- is, in and of itself, very, very lame, yes.

**And no, it's not just because it's Luke we're talking about, here. If someone was saying, "You know, I want Leia to die in Episode 8," I'd feel the same way. Or Finn. Or whoever.**
    ----------

As to the "why" someone might hope for a character to bite the dust? Again, I've no idea if this is true in this particular case, so I will not try to speculate. But most who I have seen sharing such sentiments have cited fears of Luke (or any of the Big3) "overshadowing" the new heroes.

Right, so Luke (Leia, Han, etc.) is too good of a character. The fans love the Big3 too much; their legend looms too large. So we... we have to get rid of them?

Or something?

Let's eliminate that prime franchise asset, because otherwise, the new characters aren't going to be successful enough to shine on their own right, what with the shadow of (in this case) Old Luke looming over them. It's not fair to them. Rey won't be able to be a true hero in her own right with Luke still around.

Or... something? 8-}

Hopefully, the filmmakers agree that the only way forward doesn't have to include killing off Luke in order to make Rey work. Or Leia for Finn. Han for Poe. Artoo for BB-8, etc.

You know, Hasbro tried this very thing thirty years ago when they figured you had to kill Optimus Prime (and the rest of his generation) in order to make room for Rodimus, Magnus, Kup and Arcee. People cried "foul" at killing Optimus and were turned off in droves by the transparent move to push the new at the expense of the old. It didn't work then and frankly, as popular as he was (and remains today), Optimus Prime is no Luke Skywalker.

I don't see that much has changed.

Here's a hint: Use your valuable company resources (and that's exactly what iconic and beloved characters like Luke Skywalker are to entities like Disney and Lucasfilm) creatively in order to help welcome in the new. Don't just callously toss aside the OT heroes because you've got a line of shiny new toys you want everyone to play with.

"Could Luke die in Episode VII"? By the look of things, no. Thank the Maker. Hopefully, I'll be able to say the same come Episodes 8 & 9, and we won't have to be checking off entries in the great Star Wars Death Pool as we watch each chapter of the ST unfold.

10. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    He give Finn a nod. "May the Force be with you.". Turns and walks off into the desert. A swirl of sand obscures the view for a moment. And he is gone.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  11. Julian Skywalker-Solo

Julian Skywalker-Solo Jedi Padawan star 1

May 21, 2014
    Luke could die in Episode 7. They could be filming Luke Force Ghost scenes right now.

12. Julian Skywalker-Solo

May 21, 2014

And even then they could just have that character not show up

13. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    yeah right.

14. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Love the unresolved nature of this! That's how you finish Luke's story at the end of Episode IX: You keep us guessing/allow us to decide for ourselves.

I mean, just think of all the fun we could have debating the fate of 'the Skywalker' here at the forum.

nightangel likes this.
  15. Julian Skywalker-Solo

May 21, 2014
    As long as there will be money to be made, there will be Star Wars movies.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  16. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    I think he deserves a good, positive exit. Let him walk off the stage.

17. Knightstalker137

Knightstalker137 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 17, 2003
    Beautifully said. It's ridiculous to assume that the new heroes can't be successful while the OT3 are still breathing. From all accounts, we're losing Han, do we need Disney to kill off the rest of these icons just to make us love their new creations?

ChildOfWinds and nightangel like this.
  18. deneuves

deneuves Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    I can see the dilemma they have going forward with this character. If we take Lucas' statement for truth, Luke is essentially as powerful as any Jedi ever like if Anakin had never been half-melted. If we firmly establish him on the "good" side, then we need to be given reasons why he isn't just saving the day constantly. I guess in some ways it's like the age old question of why there's a Justice League when Superman exists and is like 10x more powerful than everyone else.

Otherwise, you depower him so he can actually walk among normal people or make his loyalties a bit more neutral so we don't necessarily know how he'll act in any particular situation or conflict.

19. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    I agree with everything you say here and I really hope Luke just walks into the sunset in the end and does not die. So everything is open to our imagination. [face_praying]

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  20. arjank

arjank Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2015

It would make no sense to have a force ghost living on planet X (Skellig), As a force ghost he can summon himself anywhere.

21. DR01D

DR01D Jedi Knight

Sep 12, 2015
  22. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  23. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Actually, I believe it's a totally fabricated story. Mark Hamill himself pretty much said so. He said that usually, there's a seed of truth to a story, but in this case, it was totally false, because he says he didn't so much as stub his toe on skellig last year.

Edit: Trebor, I loved your post! I completely agree that iconic characters shouldn't be killed off or tossed aside to make room for new characters. That doesn't cause me to embrace new characters. Instead, i could see it making me resent the new characters. How much better to have the new ones introduced through their interactions with the characters we already know and love. And, in a galaxy that has so many villains, from the new imperials to plasma to kylo to Snoke, plus a new one rumored for Viii, here should be enough chaos to allow both old and new characters to be heroes. I would really enjoy seeing the older generation working with the younger generation in this one... That would be different too.

24. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    Even if Luke dies, he surely has been taught by now by the spirits of Yoda and Obi-Wan how to become one with the Force. He can easily help his successor to continue on the Jedi order from the grave as I'm sure Yoda, Anakin, and Ben have been for him for decades now. They all might even help with this purpose and reveal themselves to someone like Rey.

25. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Holds envelope to temple (Karnak style)

Could Luke Die in Episode VII?

Yes he could.

Will Luke die in VII?

Probably not.

In all seriousness,

as long as Luke's arc works with the new cast and the film(s), I am 100% fine with Luke becoming one with the Force. Will I be sad? Probably, but not for long though. If John, Oscar and Daisy(?) do their jobs wonderfully, some of the love I have for Luke will be spread around. Besides, it would not surprise me Disney keep Luke alive in other media.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.