main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Could Maul have taken out Dooku?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Sitara, Jan 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    Could he have? And don't even go into how tyrannus could have used lightning on him....we saw how obi wan easily blocked that.
    I personally think maul could have sliced up dooku but hey thats me.
    wat abt yew?

:D

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    Dooku would have been far too experienced for Maul to handle, both in his lightsaber form and knowledge of the Force.

whostheBossk likes this.
  3. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    I seriously doubt it.

4. Master_Byrd

Master_Byrd Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2002
    I persist that Maul is the greater fighter in that match in a combination of swordsmanship and martial arts. Maul is too quick and limber for the old man.

5. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    In my opinion, Dooku would have easily won. His knowledge of the Force seemed to be greater than Maul's. Dooku used all sorts of Force powers, while Maul only used his lightsaber. Also, Maul lost to Obi-Wan, and Obi-Wan lost to Dooku.

6. EwokSith

EwokSith Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 20, 2001
    Yeah but in his Dooku fight, Obi-Wan had just gone through not only surviving a huge battle, but also fighting the arena monsters. So you could say that Obi-Wan was too exhausted by the time he fought Dooku to fully utilise the Force, whereas Dooku was fresh. I still say that Obi-Wan and Maul could beat Dooku if they fought him straight.

7. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    It depends where they wanted to go, how much money Darth Maul had to spend, and whether or not Dooku fancied him or not, but I'm sure they wouldn't mind going out for a drink occasionally.

Sitara likes this.
  8. zephyrin_xirdal

zephyrin_xirdal Jedi Youngling

Jan 20, 2003
    I'm perfectly convinced that Lord Maul is the superior warrior. He resumes to saberfighting as he knows that using force-gadgets don't lead to success against a master like Qui-Gon. They will just be countered and made to nil (as Yoda did against Dooku).

Recently I found a great website on which the fencing in SW is analyzed; Maul's, too:
    http://www.synicon.com.au/sw/ls/sabres12.htm#Lord Darth
    While reading that article I recollected my knowledge of karate and kendo (stemming from my youth) and found that the guy who wrote the article is perfectly right as far as I can judge.
    This means that Lucas et al. have put in a lot of effort to show via his choreography that Lord Maul is one of the greatest masters. I guess if Maul would ever encounter Dooku, Dooku would just have to fight him with the saber(s) -- and this duel he would loose ...

9. slavegirl

slavegirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    "It depends where they wanted to go, how much money Darth Maul had to spend, and whether or not Dooku fancied him or not, but I'm sure they wouldn't mind going out for a drink occasionally."

[face_laugh]

Unfortunatly, Sideous thinks Maul is too young to be dating. :p

10. SaberGiiett7

SaberGiiett7 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    I've said it in the Films Mil version of this thread, overall overview of the battle: Plenty of RED SPARKS :D

11. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    "Also, Maul lost to Obi-Wan, and Obi-Wan lost to Dooku."

I am a firm believer that you cannot make judgements based on those type evaluations or scenarios.

12. FettLaw

FettLaw Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 12, 2003
    In the words of Windu, "I don't think so". Maul was quick and strong, but Dooku is solid and deliberate, much like the differences between Anakin and Obi-Wan in AOTC. Dooku has the "experience" factor in his favor, he is defensive in his fight, searching, waiting for the enemy to make a mistake, Maul swings and leaps all over trying to overwhelm the enemy.

13. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    Count Dooku would of took Darth Maul out very easily in my opinion. Dooku is a better skilled swordsman and seems to have a huge amount of knowledge of the force with his age and experience.

14. senseless_apprentice

senseless_apprentice Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 18, 2002
    I disagree. Maul is to fast and agile to be stricken by Dookuu's blade. Remember that maul was fending off a jedi master and his accomplished padawan, at the same time! Also, notice when Dookuu gets the best of Obi in the saber lock? Thats an impossibility with Maul because he has two blades. Maul would just spin and chop him in half. In short, the old bag wouldn't have a chance against the young punk.

15. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    To the doode who made a funny about the dating thing... :D ..... good one heh.

Anyway, like i said there is no need to count in force powers. Dooku ONLY used lightning and Yoda and especially obi wan had no trouble in countering that.

Also, dont be so fast in assuming Mauls force powers were weak...he force pushed obi into the pit.
    Obi wan easily countered the lightning, but could not counter the push. IMO since the push is also not very visible, AND the fact that maul can pull it off while fighting, makes it more useful that lightning in a duel against experianced jedi.

And so it all comes down to sabre duels. And from what we have seen, maul truly was a master. In the tatooine duel against Jinn, Maul had him completely on the defensive, he didnt even take off his robe. Quigon was not wearing any robe at the time, thus no hindrance, yet he still reeled back. Plus, maul was only using one sabre blade at the time.

Also, dooku has not fought against two extremely skilled jedi simultaneously like maul. Dooku fought them all separtely.

In the end i still think Maul could have taken out dooku, but tyrannus would have put up a great fight. Considering dookus force powers, well since he has been a force user for such a long time (he was probably an experianced jedi knight at the time maul was born) its no surprise his force powers are strong. but just because maul didnt use any flashy powers ( opting for flashy moves instead :p ) it doesnt mean he was a chump when it came to using the force. Notice how he used the piece of debris to open the door. Also, lightsabre combat requires power in the force, in order to anticipate moves.

Lastly, maul uses his entire body while fighting, so a single opponent facing him would have to expect attacks from any quarter, including kicks, punches, two sabre blades, and a force power or two sneaked in.

16. Onnie

Onnie Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 10, 2000
    I think Maul would of lost. He didn't have a double edge training. Dooku did. Dooku not only knew how the Jedi would fight, but their moves backwards and forwards. While Maul only knew one side.

Lastly, maul uses his entire body while fighting, so a single opponent facing him would have to expect attacks from any quarter, including kicks, punches, two sabre blades, and a force power or two sneaked in.

So did the other side, though Maul was clearly very Martial Arts using more of his body; and as we all know a darn good staff user can beat a swordmans any day. However, his side of the force defeated him in the end. He became arrogant.

Let this be a lesson to all bad guys, party and drink AFTER you've beaten everyone. Don't gloat making silly sparks with your lightsaber no matter how cool you look/fight.

;)

17. Master_Byrd

Master_Byrd Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2002
    I think that Maul would have one more obvious advantage: fear. Obi wan and Qui gon showed some signs of fear while fighting him (because he had such a presence). If you can intimidate your foe, you've already won. Maul's only flaw was his arrogance; which, BTW, Dooku also showed against Yoda. If Dooku hadn't have bailed out, he'd probably have ended up like Maul: cut in two, compliments of Yoda. ;)

18. Silac5

Silac5 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 12, 2001
    Dooku would defeat Maul.

19. AxisSal

AxisSal Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 22, 2003
    This is just how i see it, but Obi-Won sliced Maul in half in the phantom menace in no time hardly..Dooku beat Obi-Won so bad until he basically laughed in his face..So i think Dooku would win this one...

-Axis

20. winter_chili

winter_chili Jedi Master star 5

Nov 6, 2002
    i think it would be a close and furious battle, i wouldnt rule out maul so quickly he did take down quigon who was Old and wise and had alot of knowledge with the force. quigon was more powerful than Ob1 or Anakin in episode 2 and he was beaten by maul so dooku vr maul would be very close

21. NiktosRule

NiktosRule Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2001
    I'm not sure who would win but it would be a very good fight. I think the longer the duel lasted the less likely it is Dooku would win. He was tired by the time he beat Anakin and was very exhausted during his fight with Yoda. Maul showed no signs of exhaustion during his duel and he fought two jedi at the same time for a portion of his duel. Here is my judgement on the fight:

Dooku would win if he could end it quickly and Maul would win if the fight lasted a long time.

Ultimately I think Maul would be able to outlast Dooku and win the saber duel. I think Dooku is far better overall with the force but with a lightsaber I think he is just below Maul and his age would hinder him in the duel. Maul was young and would have better endurance and that is why he would win. Dooku would have to find a weakness in his defenses quickly and I don't think he could've done so.

22. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Maul definitely has the edge in terms of stamina and youth, but Dooku had the advantage when it comes to skill. Yes, Maul can certainly whip his double-lightsabre all over the place, but Dooku knows when to attack and when not to.

It's the difference between whirling a lightsabre twice around your back and once over your head before striking, and just stabbing someone.

Anakin in AOTC is a fairly decent match for Maul. He has a little less speed, but he has the same agility, stamina and power. He froze up at a key moment, which I wouldn't expect Maul to do, but I still think it stands up to comparison.

So, either Dooku by an early KO or Maul by points. Fair enough?

23. Wise-Master

Wise-Master Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 11, 2002
    There is a possibility. Dooku is clearly more powerful, but Maul looks to be more skilled with the lightsaber.

24. Killkenny-Kenobi

Killkenny-Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

May 9, 2002
    Maul will probably win over Dooku yes. Maul is better skilled, but then I think about it. Dooku maybe would flash Maul to death.

25. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    I think if they had a taunting contest, Dooku would kick Maul's butt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.