main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Could Obi Wan really help anakin?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by DarthNiaedra, Nov 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthNiaedra

DarthNiaedra Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2006
    Remember when Padme was saying they should go to Obi Wan to see if he could help. And i might be mistaken but didn't Obi Wan say he could've helped anakin somehow?

My Question is how? what would Obi Wan have done for them and the baby? I have also read a Star Wars Book where Obi Wan had fallen in love with a fellow jedi so he might've known what Anakin was goin through but yeah any thoughts?

2. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    Obi-Wan's loyalties are to the Jedi, and it would have been his duty to inform the Jedi Council and Anakin could have been expelled from the Order though I actually think the Council would have made an exception because Anakin was the Chosen One and they needed him in the war.

However, Anakin was like a brother to Obi-Wan and I think he would have kept it secret and not told the Council. As for what Obi-Wan could have done...I don't really know. I mean if Obi-Wan knew and was helping to take care of Padme and find a way to keep her alive, I'm pretty sure Palpatine would have twisted it in Anakin's mind and we would have ended up in the same situation anyway with the two Jedi fighting each other.

3. DarthNiaedra

Jun 19, 2006
    See I think their relationship as friends would have been more important to Obi Wan instead of the Jedi Council. He loved Anakin like a brother and a son. Earlier in life he loved Siri Tachi and had to let go of her because of the Jedi and it killed him and what was worse is when he watched her die in his arms. I think he would have helped anakin and kept the secret sort of as a secret uncle or something ya know? The only problem would be when the kid got older and you can't just keep a kid locked up all their life. Unless the Jedi Council made an exception like you said and let Anakin stay with them.

4. iLoveAnakin7

iLoveAnakin7 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 17, 2005
    I wouldn't base what Obi-Wan would do for Anakin on a made up EU character. Just saying. I mean if Siri was so important to Obi-Wan's life and growth, she would have been in the movies. To me she's nothing more than a JW Mary-Sue.

But anyway back to the question. I think by the time RotS rolled around Obi-Wan would have kept Anakin's secret. Anakin did not trust him enough though, thus being the one major flaw in their relationship.

5. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Siri was important to Obi-wan, but he wouldn't let himself cross the line like Anakin did. He understood what it is like to love and lose someone, but he knows how to let go. The only thing Obi-wan could do was help support him and try to be an anchor for him. He could've tried to help Anakin to understand the meaning behind his visions.

6. Han-my-boogie

Han-my-boogie Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2005
    To get help you have to ask for it. Anakin never sought real advice, he skirted around it to protect his 'possessions.'Anakin was his own worst enemy. He was too stubborn to ask for Obi-wan's help. Obi-wan would've told Anakin that you cannot stop people from dying and Palpatine would have been exposed. Together they would have brought down the sith.

Pride did Anakin in.

7. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    The RotS novel I believe implies that Obi-Wan was already keeping Anakin and Padme's relationship a secret as he knew what was going on, so I do think he'd have continued to keep it a secret.

I don't know what he could have done, but I think he would have done what was within his ability to help.

8. DarthNiaedra

Jun 19, 2006
    The movie makes you think for sure that they have a great relationship too. Anakin gets discouraged at the fact that he has to spy on a friend and blames it on obi wan and later before obi wan leaves for utapau anakin apologizes and they seem again like they are best friends. WHy didn't he ask him? to me it just doesn't seem like a hard thing to do but ask your best friend althought I'm sure the talk with yoda about letting go of everything discouraged talks with Obi

9. Rossa83

Rossa83 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    I agree. If you want help you have to ask for it. When Anakin asked Yoda for help he concealed the truth for Yoda whom I doubt would try to read Anakin's mind to discover the truth - that's more Palpatine's style;)
    If you don't give all the facts you can't expect anyone to be able to help you. Nobody is that intuitive!

Many claim that Yoda gave a way too general advice to Anakin, but it was all he could do when Anakin gave him nothing concrete to go on - and it was the right advice also.
    I also agree with your last two sentences!!
    Obi-wan would've told Anakin that you cannot stop people from dying and Palpatine would have been exposed. Together they would have brought down the sith.

10. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    My Question is how? what would Obi Wan have done for them and the baby?

Well, just a thought. Obi-Wan could have told Anakin the benefits of being expelled from the Jedi order. After all, he would still have his Force powers and knowledge. Whats so great anyway about belonging to a club where possessions arent allowed and you have to take orders from an old frog ?????? Anakin could have done very well in the galaxy on his own, very well indeed. No one (except Sids) could make him a slave again.

11. Obi-Chron

Obi-Chron Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2003
    I like Obi-Wan -- I think he is a true hero in the saga. But he is placed in an awkward position by Qui-Gon's dying plea to train Anakin. In the context protrayed in the PT, I now also feel that he is a huge victim of circumstances.

Let me explain -- Obi-Wan agreed with the council. He thought Anakin should not be trained. And when the council determined that Obi-Wan showed his Jedi mettle in the Battle of Naboo and against Darth Maul, granting him immediate Jedi status, Obi-Wan was hugely indebted to the council. As a freshly minted Jedi, Obi-Wan had to immediately turn his focus to training a boy with major attachments.

Anakin became more of a big brother figure for Anakin than a father figure -- that was a role for Palpatine. As the older 'brother' sticking up for the Jedi 'family name,' Obi-Wan has to deal with many previous unknowns regarding master/padawan relationships. He is treading on new ground not only for himself, but for the order in training an adolescent boy.

Perhaps the council, in agreeing to grant Qui-Gon's wish that Obi-Wan train Anakin, should have tried a King Solomon approach and agreed to train the oby but picking a more senior Jedi to do the training. That would surely be no slight to Obi-Wan, and might have had better results -- who knows?

But as Anakin slid faster and deeper into the abyss of the dark side, not even Padme could get through to him. It is unlikely that Obi-Wan could have brought his former rebellious Padawan to his senses at that point, even if Obi-Wan made certain concessions in trying to save him, which he never would have tried at that point due to his dedication to the order. Not that it mattered, as by then Anakin was on a one-way street to perdition,

12. DarthLegion012

DarthLegion012 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 30, 2006

Are you serious!Good on his own!?And how do you think that Obi-Wan could have told Anakin the benefits of being expelled from Order?From his own experience?I don't remeber that Obi-Wan was ever expelled from Order.What made you to post this?You must know that in life there are certain rules, one of nature or men and without them there would be an chaos and disorder.The same thing is about Force users.They all have rules, both Jedi and Sith.There were always good and evil, Jing and Jang and like in SW Light and Dark Side of the Force.What do you think that Anakin could attain on his own.He was young and still learning.Just because of his lust for power he would have never become a freelancer.He always needed a teacher, no matter if the teacher was a Jedi or Sith, but he needed someone to help him to use the power he allready had, it was great but untrained.He needed help to upgrade his abilities and to learn something more about the Force.Maybe later, when he became fully trained, he could go on his own.And even then he would have been Jedi or Sith, not something from middle.This post is without foundation.

13. DarthNiaedra

Jun 19, 2006
    i agree somewhat but will not rip you on it. Anakin would need a teacher. unless he somehow found that he could get along with Padme and just live as a normal person...not a jedi. I doubt he could give up his dream like that though. I was sad to know from the very beginning that a boy like that would be the darth vader everyone feared.

14. Yodas_Got_Bed_Head

Yodas_Got_Bed_Head Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 18, 2004
    Very true, but I do recall an instance (in the LOE novel) where Anakin sought Obi-Wan's help/advice and Obi gave him a stale, yearbook type response. Anakin said something to the effect of "...say we're not wearing the robes of the Jedi and tell me what to do..." Obi tells him the will of Force will provide him guidance...
    Realizing Anakin came to him as a brother & friend seeking genuine counsel, Obi-Wan seemed to regret giving him an old Jedi proverb to chew on. Again, that's not what's in the novel word for word but to me that was another instance (like Anakin going to Yoda) where he looked to the Jedi Masters for some type of guidance or insight and they gave him very little help.

15. voodoopuuduu

Mar 22, 2004
    If hes expelled from the Jedi order, what do you expect him to do ? Go back to being Watto's slave ? I dont think so. Anakin is after all a 23 year old, fully trained Jedi knight by the time of ROTS.

He was young and still learning.Just because of his lust for power he would have never become a freelancer.
    Youre assuming he would go into some kind of mercenary work. But what if he went into podracing and betting on podracing ? He could be richer than Dooku and the Hutts in no time. :D

16. DarthNiaedra

Jun 19, 2006
    Those ideas you throw out are legitimate but not so much in reality. Anakins most likely choice if expelled by the jedi order would be to live on naboo in that same lakehouse with Padme and his children. I know he would keep using the force for certain things but if expelled you lose your lightsaber so other than that its just him and the force but as a daddy.

17. Darth_Drachonus

Darth_Drachonus Jedi Master star 3

Oct 4, 2005
    He might have lost his lightsaber, but what's to stop him from building a new one? He's as mechanically and technically inclined as it gets. Aside from the crystal, which I'm sure could be had for a price, he could attain everything he needed to rebuild his weapon. The crystals are on Ilum, Anakin knows where that's at, how difficult would it be to sneak in there when no-one's looking, harvest a crystal, and take it home? Odds are: Not very. But that's WAY off topic. In my own guesstimation? Yes, Obi-Wan could have really helped Anakin.

18. voodoopuuduu

Mar 22, 2004
    I just threw that out as one of 1000's of possible scenarios. I agree, the "daddy on Naboo" scenario is one of the most likely ones. But he could accumulate wealth there as well. Heck, how about working as a fortune teller ? :p After all he could see the future. As for the lightsaber, even if he had to turn it in to the order, he could easily build another. After all, Luke did it with minimal training and money, so how hard can it be ?

And getting back to the original question, thats one thing Obi-Wan could have told Anakin.

Obi-Wan : You will be expelled from the Jedi order, Anakin.

Anakin : But what shall I do master ?

Obi-Wan : Anakin, you will have learn to act like Kevin Federline, become a daddy, and live in the big lakehouse on Naboo with Padme.

Anakin : I will do what I must, master.

19. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Anakin could've done anything he wanted if he left the Jedi Order. There was no one telling that he had to stay. He wanted to because he was being selfish in wanting it all.

20. jedi_jacks

jedi_jacks Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 17, 2005
    Aren't dark jedi hunted down the same as sith pretty much? Obi-Wan says that the vows of the order are "not easily broken." Anakin could've maybe opened up a garage and been a mechanic, he's good at fixing things, but I doubt he would be allowed to use any force powers. I do think Obi-Wan could've probably helped Anakin, Obi-Wan can get out of any jam it seems like.

21. Han-my-boogie

Han-my-boogie Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2005

True. Because nine times out of 10 he thinks (as well as feels) before rushing into things.

Anakin wanted to have his cake and eat it. He didn't want to leave the Jedi order, but he wanted to stay with Padme. If the council found out, I believe he would have been the first 'exception to the rule.' Anakin might have had the confidence to tell them 'everything' and his problems would have been halved. Anakin would have learned that immortality was a lie, he would have helped kill Palps, and his reward from the council would have been marriage.
    I'm of the mind that the council would never have expelled Anakin when his situation was laid bare. He was too special a jedi to be forsook to the wilds of the galaxy. (Too many dangerous elements and temptations). He had developed skills that needed to nurtured until he had reached Jedi master status. Only then would he have been mature enough to be an independent citizen. But if he killed the Sith Master the road to master status would have been accelerated!
    The council would've threatened Anakin with expulsion but in the end would have just slapped him on the wrist. The council was mixed on whether Anakin was the chosen one, but they curiously wanted to see this prophecy through. What do you do with a mixed-up, talented individual? Appeal to his 'need to be needed.' If Anakin could have seen his Jedi term through to master status, then IMHO he would have been free to leave. Anakin was too powerful to just let go? What if he succumbed to powerful forces? (He did anyway, he proved this).
    Previously many on this board have written on Anakin's desire for more information from the Jedi archives, which I agree with. You can only do that as an insider.
    What could the council have done with a talented, albeit married young jedi? Given him limited access to Padme until he was a jedi master when he had the choice of going on from one family to a new one.

The repression of the galaxy could have been prevented if Anakin was upfront with those whom he trusted. The jedi were peaceful beings. Their first reaction was not to persecute.

PRIDE...

22. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    [face_laugh] =D=

I believe Obi Wan could have helped Anakin, if Anakin would have been open with him about the situation he was in, and if he was able to hear what he didnt want to hear... seems by the time ROTS came on, Anakin only heard what he wanted to (a.k.a Palpatine's butt kissing).

What would the Council have done? who knows... they might have been forgiving and let him stay in the Order as a married man (and who knows, Anakin could have been the cause for a deeper change in the Order, wich wouldnt have been a bad thing on certain aspects), but they also might have kicked him out... i guess we'll never know the outcome of that one o_O

I do agree, Anakin could have done a lot of things other than been a jedi, but like sinister says, he wanted it all.

23. RamRed

RamRed Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002
    Could Obi-Wan have really helped Anakin? I honestly DO NOT KNOW. That is a question I cannot answer with any finality.

24. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Anakin could use the Force, so long as he didn't use it selfishly. All Jedi who left the Order without turning, were allowed to use the Force. That's something the Jedi could not forbid. If their Jedi training could be helpful, it is prudent if the ex-Jedi chooses to help.

25. RamRed

RamRed Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002
    All Jedi who left the Order without turning, were allowed to use the Force.

Why would the Jedi think they had the right to allow or disallow a former Jedi from using the Force?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.