main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Could or Should Revan return to Disney Canon?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Starwarsfan9000, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Turnabout is fair play.

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It's continually remarkable how up in arms people get about having Revan reëstablished as a female.

There were two options in the game. Folks got to see official male Revan in Legends. Let's do something different in canon.

That is, if we have to establish anything at all. As noted earlier, the Uprising approach is preferable, esp for a character in the mythical past.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

3. Palizinha

Palizinha Jedi Master star 1

Jul 12, 2015
    I played male Revan when doing KOTOR last year, but really, how is Revan being female ANY less valid than Revan being male besides "I played male Revan so Revan is a guy for me and every opinion besides mine is invalid"?

...though let's be real, Revan is non-binary.

4. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    I guess it would be fine......

5. H-BOMB

H-BOMB Jedi Master star 3

Feb 21, 2009
    I'd be down. But I would prefer if Revan's gender was kept ambiguous. I mean, he/she wears heavy robes and a mask pretty much most of the time. And if he/she speaks, just have it modulated in a way that you can't really tell.

He could even be connected to Malachor or the new conflict between the Jedi and the Mandalorians referenced on Rebels.

DaffyTheWizard likes this.
  6. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I am certain that Revan will be re-introduced to canon, it's only a matter of time. I'd even say that the character is technically canon already, we just need an official confirmation
    This is from the Obi-Wan&Anakin comics. We don't know much about the characters backstory, except that the hologram recording he or she appears in is very old and that initially it was colored - thanks to that, we know that the figure had a red bladed lightsaber. We never got additional information from Marvel or LFL on this character, but considering the overall similarity to Revan, and the intentional ambiguity in the artwork around the mask, I think the tease here is obvious.[​IMG]

Revan is just as popular as Thrawn, if not more so. There's no way they'd leave the character non-canon forever.

lookameatbag and Darkslayer like this.
  7. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    And to add to that the creator of Revan, Drew Karpyshyn returned to BioWare last year, and we could be getting a Revan story soon.

8. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    Yeah I believe Revan will return at some point.

lookameatbag and Darkslayer like this.
  9. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    I wouldn't be surprised if he's already in the canon, as Tar Vizsla.

lookameatbag likes this.
  10. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    Protip, a person can be equal rabid about, "NO REVAN IS A GIRL" as the opposite.

JediBatman and Talos of Atmora like this.
  11. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Ever consider how the players who played the legitimate and equal option of a female Argonian bard Dragonborn felt when the character they identified with in Skyrim was switched out for a male human Nord who was the actual "canon" Dragonborn?

Ever consider how the players who played the legitimate and equal option of a male Imperial illusionist Nerevarine felt when the character they identified with in Morrowind was switched out for a male Dark Elf?

More relevantly, ever consider how the players who played the legitimate and equal option of a male Exile felt when the character they identified with in KOTOR II was switched out for a female Jedi?

Exactly how does it detract from those people's experiences in a role-playing game if Revan was canonized into a male human? So much of the other Legends material (as RafSwi7 stated) showed that he was, in fact, a male. However, so little of Revan's character is actually defined by his gender to the point where it isn't even worth making a fuss over. I don't really care which gender Revan turns out to be in canon but this kind of statement is just melodramatic as hell. Like people were utterly torn asunder by the fact that their character wasn't the gender they wanted. :rolleyes:

That being said, I think they'll make Revan female for the sole purpose of doing something different. Which is understandable because what's the point, otherwise?

CaptainPeabody and wizards8507 like this.
  12. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I'd be perfectly fine with Revan being a female in canon. It's something slightly different that doesn't have to change the character at all, and would be a unique twist that distinguishes canon from Legends.

I could even tell myself the timeline divergence came down to which chromosome Revan had!

DaffyTheWizard likes this.
  13. DavrelKex

DavrelKex Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 18, 2016

Honestly, I always preferred Revan as female, and the Exile as male. Was never a huge fan of the "canonized" Revan. He was okay. Could've been better.

As for the OP's question, I think they absolutely could and probably will. It's just a matter of when and how will they translate the character and the surrounding events.

I think there's a chance Tar Viszla ends up being the canon "Revan" but I could be completely off-base.

14. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    This whole stupid gender debate brings up my big criticism of Revan and why Revan probably shouldn't be brought back...

Revan is popular because it's You, the player, in a video game.

That's where most of the attachment comes from.

The story has a cool twist when you learn this, and some people think the mask is cool. The character is attached to yet another fallen Jedi storyline.

That's it.

The rest depends on the player. Most of the appeal comes from Revan being you the player.

If Revan was introduced in a book trilogy, not a video game, I doubt Revan would be as popular.

And if I have to choose, make Revan a female, just mess with some immature people.

15. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    Personally I would imagine Revan would be female if they were to bring the character back if only because outside of Leia and now Rey there aren't many well known female protagonists save Ahsoka, whose story has pretty much been wrapped up for the time being - any stories about her in the near future are almost guaranteed to be set between the end of TCW and Rebels.

I honestly think the best approach would be to have Revan as canon but never actually appear in the flesh. He/she did something significant, the after effects of which drive the plot, but with no focus or mention of gender. Perhaps have different characters have different ideas about who Revan ''really'' was without ever actually confirming it either way.

Gamiel likes this.
  16. wizards8507

wizards8507 Jedi Youngling

Dec 28, 2016
    Yeah, I'd be FINE with it too. My objection was to a previous poster implying that female was the only appropriate / correct choice for them to make.

17. FlyingspiginaPurplejarr

FlyingspiginaPurplejarr Jedi Padawan

Oct 20, 2016
    If Revan returns he should be remain male,because of his relationship and dicotomy with Bastilla(Another important,yet overlooked character)and for same reason The Exile would be better as female because Atton.
    These two just had some very important companions who,were integral part of their stories and should not be overlooked.Honestly I would really like to see Jolee bindo or Atton reintroduced,they was such a cool characters.

18. ekrolo2

ekrolo2 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 17, 2014
    They might as well establish who's look Ren stole.

19. CaptainPeabody

CaptainPeabody Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 15, 2008
    Is Revan's popularity still mostly due to his being a player character, though? I'm really not sure. It's my impression that by this time, the thing most people in the general fandom are familiar with is just some variant of the later Legends "ancient Sith dude with cool mask." With that plus TOR's rather large and ongoing player base, it just seems vastly, vastly unlikely to me, as a pure matter of economics and fanservice and mass appeal, that TPTB would ever choose to make Revan female.

I mean, the subset of really engaged fandom who played KOTOR back in the day and played a female Revan and actually still care is probably not particularly large in the grand scheme of things. I can understand their feelings, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

I don't know, maybe it's just that I never particularly cared for or had any sort of emotional connection to Revan. He was just never that interesting to me, as a player character or as a normal character. The only times he was actually interesting is when he was safely offscreen and people were talking about how cool and mysterious he was; and even then he wasn't really interesting as a character so much as as a plot point.

The only player character I've ever had any kind of genuine emotional connection to was my conflicted male LS Jedi Exile, and obviously that ship sailed a long time ago. I doubt anyone's going to change the Jedi Exile to male at this point, and I don't think I would even want them to. A player experience doesn't have to be 100% canon to be valuable.

Darkslayer likes this.
  20. masterskywalker

Nov 2, 2001
    By that logic no video game characters should be brought back. I do admit, I'm getting tired of hearing the ONLY reason why X, Y game character is popular is because they were a "self insert". This isn't fan fiction. Being a reformed Sith Lord was actually a unique twist which had never been done in a SW story. Much like how people wondered what it would have been like had Vader survived Return of the Jedi. How do you live your life to make up for the harm you've done? And harm you don't even remember doing? So no, it was not JUST because Revan was a powerful Sith Lord who happened to be a PC.

21. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    This has literally happened in fandom when new iterations of characters have been re-explored with gender/race/orientation switched. It's very sad to watch the meltdowns, which have regularly turned into vitriolic attacks on creators and commentators.

Please otherwise explain the popularity of Kyle Katarn.

22. masterskywalker

Nov 2, 2001
    Believe it or not, we actually didn't have that many force using commandos at one point in the EU. Aside from the Chuck Norris jokes, Kyle was a secret agent/saboteur when he was first introduced, which again, was something we really didn't see. You were EITHER a Jedi or a Sith, we never really got what a military man would do if given those powers. Kyle never lost his edge as a ruthless bastard either, not only killing Maw in anger, but playing with fire in refusing to accept some force powers were inherently dark. He was very much a rogue "Jedi", and barely ever even refereed to himself as that for the course of the games' story. He was a commando who could use the force, which was interesting.

Also, the cutscenes of JKII were exceptionally well done FMV, probably the best in all of SW. Kyle didn't get his own book for no reason. It wasn't just "Dur, player character" which is how most here seem to remember him.

It's a bit like saying Jacen and Jaina aren't "real" characters since their first adventures were kids books, and thus don't have the magnificent depths as "real" characters such as the almighty Thrawn. That kind of elitism gets real old, real fast.

Continuing that example, do you find Kyp Durron a better written character than Kyle? After all, one is only a game character while the other debuted in a novel. You starting to see my point?

Kyp Durron was in many ways a decent idea of a character, who they never figured out what to do with. (Kind of hard to dance around wiping out a star system) Where as Kyle easily found a niche as the "weapon of last resort" of the Jedi.

Kylun and CaptainPeabody like this.
  23. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Also jaden korr was never that popular. Both jaden and revan starred in only 1 game. It takes more than being a player stand in to be popular.

Kyle and revan are well written characters and thus popular. Not knocking jaden though, but s/he didn't catch on.

Ironically Jedi Academy could probably fit in new canon as a standalone game.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

24. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    That was the creators' choice though - it's their character at the end of the day, not ours.

Daneira likes this.
  25. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    I'm in the camp that TOR giving Revan a definitive face was a mistake, Keeping the gender as ambiguous as possible in Revans case would probably be ideal.

However Female Reven would open up an interesting possibility about a certain Holocron found on malachor in rebels.

As far as the exile goes, I don't really care what her gender is as long as they undo the character butchery that happened in the Revan novel. Regardless of gender i don't think anyone played the exile as Revans dotering #1 fanbeing