main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Could or Should Revan return to Disney Canon?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Starwarsfan9000, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I feel like I'm the only one who loved the Revan novel :(

2. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    I’d rather wish-fulfillment, self-insert videogame characters like Revan be left out of canon.

vncredleader likes this.
  3. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Considering the awful stuff Revan has to go through (I'm in the middle of reading the Revan novel), I actually don't find him much of a wish fulfillment at all (can't speak for anyone else). :( Meetra Surik also gets her nice life crashing down in this novel.

I'm not sure if any of the player characters from the Star Wars EU games really count as wish fullfilment. Most of them went through some extremely bad stuff.

Massive spoilers for the Old Republic game
    The reward for the player character in the Old Republic is to be frozen in carbonite for 5 years, for example, then mentally invaded by a millennia old Sith Lord, with all his friends and family long since gone. I'm playing through Knights of the Fallen Empire, and even my companions and padawan are not around. :(

If you read the spoiler, does that really seem like anyone's idea of wish fulfillment? There seems to be this idea that just because a character is a videogame character, s/he is wish fulfillment...

Darkslayer likes this.
  4. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001

Again, it is your opinion Revan is a "self insert, wish fulfillment" character. And here's something else, pretty much every main SW character is designed on some level to be a "self insert" character, (psst, this is why people relate to them so well).

Darkslayer likes this.
  5. IG Lancer

IG Lancer Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 8, 2015
    Since everything save the movies will eventually be retconned, my position is:

-As far as I am concerned, everything not directly contradicted by the movies is canon, regardless of what anybody says.
    -If two pieces of information not coming from the movies contradict each other, just pick the one you like better.

Do you like Revan? Then Revan is canon.

6. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    That's the philosophy behind my thread I started some time ago. I still need to update the list with post ANH Legends works that can still fit in canon: http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...can-still-reasonably-fit-into-canon.50043107/

7. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

...whoa. I love this idea.

8. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    It would be nice if she were, even just a name drop is good enough.

9. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    yes i think they will bring revan back a lot of $ in that character and they wont leave that money on the scrap heap

10. Sith Iratus

Sith Iratus Jedi Master

Nov 24, 2012
    He's already Canon for me,I just fit in what I like and leave novels that haven't been contradicted yet. Mainly pre phantom menace era.
    That being said if he was to be made official,male/female? Be fine by me,always want fresh new Star Wars material.
    And new books etc mean a growing timeline,which is what I want.

11. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013

That's not how *Canon works.... :D

Gamiel, wizards8507 and Sith Iratus like this.
  12. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    Canon = Future storytellers need to take this information into consideration when planning/telling new stories.

That's it. They can't be forced to take into consideration every fan's personal hopes, dreams, demands, and affirmations as binding. Ideas of 'Personal canon' makes sense only if you are personally writing fanfic/running an RPG. But that's it.

Erkan12 likes this.
  13. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Yeah, not sure why some of our friends over here are insisting on creating new ''canon'' definitions... Canon depends on storytellers, writers, and most likely depends on producers, if they say x is canon y is not, then that's that. You can't create something like ''head canon'' because it doesn't make any sense. Fans can't create any canon continuity in different people's stories, we all like SW, but we are just fans, we are not storytellers or writers...

14. wizards8507

wizards8507 Jedi Youngling

Dec 28, 2016
    EDIT: I guess we can't embed Tweets here. Read the full chain from the link below.

Interesting Tweet from Pablo Hidalgo yesterday referencing Galaxy of Heroes. I read this as if SWTOR / KOTOR exists in some kind of canon limbo that's not quite as de-canonized as the rest of the EU.

https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/824468710056341505

I've never played SWTOR... is its canon consistent with KOTOR and KOTOR II?

15. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    Pablo has also pointed out that SWTOR continues the Legends storytelling. It's not semi-canon, it's not schrodinger's canon, it's part of the Legends Continuity. So it's part of the separate and distinct 'Legends canon'. And since it's the only one producing content in that canon, and probably WILL be the last ones to produce content in that canon, it's basically a 'go ahead, knock yourself out', nobody will have to deal with the new rules you make kind of deal.

EA has a games deal that is ongoing to create new content. And since Galaxy of Heroes is a fantasy fighter match-em-up that has no story/canonical value at all, it makes sense to use current characters and situations that are currently actively being produced and putting out content. This isn't a canon thing. It's a 'what is currently being produced' thing. This really shouldn't be hard to understand.

16. wizards8507

wizards8507 Jedi Youngling

Dec 28, 2016
    Did you even read the tweets? I fully understand that SWTOR is Legends. HOWEVER, it's also true that EA has been forbidden from using other EU characters in Galaxy of Heroes. I'm not saying HK-47 appearing in Galaxy of Heroes makes Revan canon, but it means something that the story group allowed HK-47 to be used in the game but not the likes of Mara Jade and Jacen Solo.

Darkslayer likes this.
  17. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    You *can* have a personal canon though.

For instance, I don't care what Disney says, the Force Unleashed games will always be canon to me. :)

18. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998

As I said, "This isn't a canon thing. It's a 'what is currently being produced' thing. This really shouldn't be hard to understand." EA gets to use characters from current EA games.

19. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    I hope not. Not a huge Revan fan.

Sent from A TRANSMISSION BEAMED ABOARD THIS SHIP--

Erkan12 likes this.
  20. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    And for me, TFU is the only EU thing I don't consider canon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  21. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    You know, since -- presumably -- an NU Revan wouldn't be a videogame protagonist (unless they were reintroduced in a "KOTOR REMASTERED" or something that reimagined the story in an NU context) here's what I'd do:

[​IMG]

I'd take "Darth Revan" and "Bastila Shan" and merge them into one amazing battle meditation / strategist character called "Vima Sunrider Shanrider Sunrevan". :p

Everyone bangs on about Anakin Solo being wasted, but poor Vima was the real tragedy. She was meant to grow up to be the next great hero! Everyone went on about her swirling Force, and stuff.

And then it turned out that sometimes swirling force is just swirling force. :(

(They could have at least made her the Exile, jeez)

instantdeath, Ghost and Revanfan1 like this.
  22. IG Lancer

IG Lancer Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 8, 2015
    Maybe. But the official canon is so changing and fleeting that it's barely worth worrying for... Aftermath, Bloodlines, the new Marvel comics, Rebels... etc., they will become outdated in a few years, the same way the Clone War novels, the Jedi Apprentice novels, The Clone Wars cartoon and the previous batch of comics were...

When they make new TV series, novels and comics, they will want to say they are within canon, because that helps sales. On the other hand, no director will accept to be bound by any pre-existing canon, they will demand creative freedom, so they will change the canon with every movie.

Star Wars canon is periodicaly replaced. There was 1998 canon, and there was 2005 canon, and now there is 2017 canon. Current canon isn't definitive, it will be replaced too.

So, the only real, solid, hard de facto canon are the movies themselves, regardless of what they say.

Revan belongs to the 2003-2014 canon which is different from 2017 canon. There will probably be another canon ten years in the future. Think of them as different versions of the same story. I, as a fan, can't decide which is the current official canon, but I'm free to like best whatever version of canon I please...

Daneira likes this.
  23. Valryk

Valryk Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2016
    Yup I agree. A pity the Exile can't come back because of her link to Revan. I liked her far more than him.

24. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Oh. Dang. Me likey.

25. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    No I wouldn't want him/her "Disneyfied". Revan is an iconic EU character and would be painful to see him ruined by Rebels.