main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Could or Should Revan return to Disney Canon?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Starwarsfan9000, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Oh.

Ew.

darklordoftech likes this.
  2. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    They didn't make him a master, they just re-made him a knight.

3. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    They reinstated Quinlan's Jedi Master status--I read the entire novel and there was no talk of demoting him to knight.

4. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    He wasn't a master before though.

I mean, I still think that Vos' redemption was way too easy and consequence free, but he was basically just reverted to being what he was at the start in terms of rank.

5. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Dark Disciple Chapter 3, Paragraph 8, about Quinlan and Obi-Wan: "The two Jedi Masters had last been paired together to track down an escaped Hutt named Ziro. Unfortunately, someone had beaten them to the Hutt, with fatal results for the unpleasant Ziro."

And there is no talk about Quinlan being demoted to Knight status at the end of the novel Dark Disciple. He's still a Jedi Master.

Revanfan1 and spicer like this.
  6. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    But Vos isn't on the council, in either DD or ROTS, so he can't be a 'master' in the proper sense.

It's probably the same way that the Kaminoans refer to Obi-Wan as 'Master Jedi' in AOTC, even though he's just a knight, or when the younglings in ROTS says "Master Skywalker".

Also, according to the intro of Hunt for Ziro, Vos was a knight in that episode anyway.

7. Ewoklord

Ewoklord Jedi Master star 2

Feb 15, 2014
    I was under the impression it wasn't particularly rare to be a Master and not be on the Council. However, it was rare to be on the Council and not be a Master. Hence Anakin's tantrum.

8. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    You don't need to be on the Jedi Council to be a Jedi Master. Qui-Gon Jinn was a Jedi Master and never was on the Council. Pong Krell was a Jedi Master and was never on the Council. There are others. Quinlan Vos was stated in the canon novel Dark Disciple to be a Jedi Master. His Council membership is irrelevant.

Revanfan1 and spicer like this.
  9. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    But nowhere in the films or shows was it ever stated that Qui-Gon was a master, and for all intents and purposes he was a Knight.

So far, the only confirmed Jedi to be 'masters' are those on the council and retirees from the council like Jocasta Nu. The films never go into great detail about it, so it's only natural to assume that Masters=councillors.

10. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    The official Star Wars website, which is still canon and overseen by Story Group that determines canon, lists Qui-Gon as a Jedi Master: http://www.starwars.com/databank/qui-gon-jinn

spicer and Revanfan1 like this.
  11. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Um, being a Jedi Master and not on the Council is anything but uncommon. Typically one is made a Master after their apprentice becomes a Knight (at least it was that way in Legends). In addition to Quinlan and Qui-Gon both being referred to as Masters and yet not on the Council, there's also Tholme, Quinlan's Master, who is referenced as such in DD as well. It's never been a Council-only title.

12. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    Thought I'd post here rather than pollute the main remake thread further.

What major alterations to KotOR's story are necessary for it to fit with Canon? There's Malachor, but that's not a major part of the game's story itself, and changing it to being a trap for the Jedi and some of his followers (like Legends Bane's Thought Bomb?) wouldn't be too difficult.

From what I can remember, it would just require small things, like some changed dialogue and the Ajunta Pall quest being altered or removed.

13. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    Off the top of my head, the Mandalorian elements need to be tweaked a bit to fit in with the Filoni lore.

VexedAtVohai likes this.
  14. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

@VexedAtVohai
    That won't stop it? ;p

15. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Well Revan has been canon for 2 years by now almost.

16. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    I’d prefer him to appear first as a holocron projection. Much like Ulic Qel Droma did:

17. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I can see Acolyte be the first place to show Revan as a hologram from sith holocron.

18. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    That would be epic!

All the dialogue is already written:

“I am Darth Revan, Dark Lord of the Sith. Those who use the dark side are also bound to serve it. To understand this is to understand the underlying philosophy of the Sith. The dark side offers power for power's sake. You must crave it. Covet it. You must seek power above all else, with no reservation or hesitation. The Force will change you. It will transform you. Some fear this change. The teachings of the Jedi are focused on fighting and controlling this transformation. That is why those who serve the light are limited in what they accomplish.

True power can come only to those who embrace the transformation. There can be no compromise. Mercy, compassion, loyalty: all these things will prevent you from claiming what is rightfully yours. Those who follow the dark side must cast aside these conceits. Those who do not—those who try to walk the path of moderation—will fail, dragged down by their own weakness. Those who accept the power of the dark side must also accept the challenge of holding on to it. By its very nature the dark side invites rivalry and strife. This is the greatest strength of the Sith: it culls the weak from our order. Yet this rivalry can also be our greatest weakness. The strong must be careful lest they be overwhelmed by the ambitions of those working beneath them in concert. Any master who instructs more than one apprentice in the ways of the dark side is a fool. In time, the apprentices will unite their strengths and overthrow the master. It is inevitable; axiomatic. That is why each Master must have only one student.

This is also the reason there can only be one Dark Lord. The Sith must be ruled by a single leader: the very embodiment of the strength and power of the dark side. If the leader grows weak another must rise to seize the mantle. The strong rule; the weak are meant to serve. This is the way it must be. My time here is ended. Take what I have taught you and use it well.” (Jedi vs Sith, Windham, and Darth Revan Sith Holocron Wookieepedia)

19. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I could see that or add in new dialogue for Revan to say to the current sith before TPM.

20. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    Well the option's there at least.

---

Darth Tanis creating the Sith weapon on Malachor has been established as ~4,000 years before the films. That would need explanation. Though there's really no need for Revan and Malak to essentially be adhering to the Rule of Two.

---

Good opportunity to use some Mando'a as well.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
    SyndicThrass likes this.
  21. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I think by the time of canon kotor era there still rule of two in a way with many sith around. Maybe only a master and apprentice sort of thing.

22. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Yeah, Bane is post Revan. So no Rule of Two.

23. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I think the sith has always had some sort of rule of two.

24. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

This but Revan mask has a voice disguise and they are always referred to as they.

VexedAtVohai likes this.
  25. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Actually they had numbers equal to the Jedi, Then Rule of Three (Triumvirate, Kotor II), then Rule of Two, and finally Rule of One with Darth Krayt that took it back to many Sith with one Dark Lord ruling them.