main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Could Palpatine's death have been better??

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by The_Deal_Alterer, Apr 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Deal_Alterer

The_Deal_Alterer Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 20, 2003
    I, personally, have no problems as it is.

I was just wondering if anyone thought that the death of the story's main villan could have been just a little more...great?

Couldn't they think of anything better than him getting thrown over a banister? Could any of you?

2. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Yeah, I think it would have been nifty for Luke and Vader to be fighting, and then turn on the Emperor. When the Emperor realizes this, he shoots lightning at the Skywalkers which halts them, but they quickly recover and raise their sabers to cut the Emperor down...

3. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    I don't have a problem, but maybe him getting stabbed by Anakin would have been ok.

4. Esplin9466

Esplin9466 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 27, 2002
    I love it. Falling from a great height's always been one of my favorite ways of disposing of villains.

5. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    It works. That's enough for me.

6. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Yeah, I think it would have been nifty for Luke and Vader to be fighting, and then turn on the Emperor. When the Emperor realizes this, he shoots lightning at the Skywalkers which halts them, but they quickly recover and raise their sabers to cut the Emperor down...

AKA: Mara Jade's dream.

I don't like that as an alternative at all.
    It shows Palpatine is utterly pathetic.

'Tremble at my powers! Tremble...? Please tremble! Please?? :( GYACK! You... didn't... tremble...'

'Do not... underestimate... the powers... of the Emperor... Or he'll make you... feel... somewhat... irritated... Plus rash... you will get...'

If it was that simple to overthrow Palpatine, why didn't Vader do it all along? No, I like him knowing he's giving up his life to save his son way better.

It also shows how deep into the darkside, and how conflicted, Vader realy was. It took his son, someone he and Padme created, almost dying to bring him back. You can tell how tormented he is as Luke is being tortured.
    In the dream, it's more like:

LUKE: Ouch! Hey dad, being shocked kinda hurts.

VADER: Ouch. Y'know... you're right!

LUKE: Wanna kill 'im?

VADER: Okiedey!

It works fine for Mara's Dream because it serves as lite symbolism for what she feels happened.
    As an actual ending, its weak and problematic.
    But hey, don't let me rain on your parade if you like it better :)

7. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Sure, heck, we could've seen his lightsaber and him fight a little, but noooo, he just sat on his ass, laughed like a little girl and zapped the hell outta Luke.

8. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Yeah, Han shooting Palpatine could have been done better, but it works fine, IMO.

9. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    I only like it because it gives Mara a legitimate excuse to kill Skywalker, and not some infernal clone of Skywalker mind you.

I do think it would have been better though for Vader and Luke to put down their weapons, and come to a more peaceful solution. Then the Emperor comes and attacks, and Vader dies to save his son and then afterwards Skywalker kills the Emperor.

10. Jedi-Master_Kenobi

Jedi-Master_Kenobi Jedi Youngling

Jan 13, 2003
    i use to have a problem with it growing up and watching ROTJ. i use to think why did the Emperor placed fear in everyone and even Vader one of the greatest/powerful Jedi. was he really that powerful? and he died by the sneak attack by the hands of Anakin. now with the prequels made i dont have a problem with it anymore.

i view it as fitting death for the Emperor in that he has foreseen everything up to that particular time. he didn't think vader would turn and save his son. Luke said in the throne room in the north tower that the Emperor's weakness is his over confidence in himself. he was right and i guess it cares over into the PT ... the over confidence of the Jedi in the PT lead to their downfall. something Yoda stresses to Obi-Wan during their conversations in AOTC. the same over confidence with Palpatine over the course of Ep. III to ROTJ lead to his downfall.

also, it could be symbolic that the Emperor/Sidious was viewed as powerful and untouchable that it was fitting he got thrown down the reactor core. symbolic of his great fall from power, in a way he got knocked off his pedistal. what better way than to go straight down from power then a rector all the way to the bottom.

11. The___

The___ Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2002
    I think his death was fine. It ensured a definite death, because there is no way to resist falling.

If Vader had tried an alternate means of ridding Palpatine, he might've failed.

12. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    The important thing is Vader turning back to the light and taking him out. Palpatine falling into the shaft is almost a side-detail :p

13. DRK_HLMT

DRK_HLMT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    I think it was the fact that Palpatine was so caught up in trying to make Luke suffer before he died that made him slip and not realize what was going through Anakin's mind before he grabbed him and threw him down the shaft. You could see that Palpatine was really getting into it and was enjoying the fact that he was making Luke suffer.

Palpatine probably didn't think that Anakin would choose his family over him. Obviously Anakin had made that mistake before as we will probably see in EpIII. Anakin was probably rectifying a wrong that had been eating at him since the day he turned.

It would be great to see exactly what was going through Vader's mind during that moment...

But I digress. To get back to the topic, I think it was a fitting way for Palpatine to buy it. His rise to power had made him arrogant and clumsy and all it took was a good toss down the old reactor shaft to do him in.

14. Kizakh

Kizakh Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 27, 2002
    Many of the cast felt that ROTJ was a kiddie movie. How do 90-odd% of kiddie movies get rid of their villains?

By throwing them off a cliff or down a pit or something to that effect.

And that's the way (uh-huh, uh-huh) I like it (uh-huh, uh-huh)!

15. DarthSil

DarthSil Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 19, 2003
    A fitting death for an absolute creep.

16. jimkk29

jimkk29 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 24, 2002
    I always though that Anakin could have pulled his lightsaber and cut him down. That wouldn't serve the story, however, because he would have stayed alive. Vader needed to die.

17. That_Wascally_Droid

Jul 29, 2001
    I only like it because it gives Mara a legitimate excuse to kill Skywalker, and not some infernal clone of Skywalker mind you.

I spose I could see that. HOwever, you really have to play it where it's most powerful for Anakin, and not some character who isn't even in the movies.
    Well, I mean, I'm sure you knew that. You were only giving a 'what-if' afterall :p

18. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Han shot Palpatine with his blaster.

19. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    Yuppers. :)

In all seriousness, I do think that Vader could've died to save his son, which would still be a act of redemption. Then Skywalker either kills Palpatine in self-defense, and then runs. Or he manages to knock Palpatine out of the way, and escapes with his father's body. Then Palpatine is vaped along with the destruction of the DSII.

I do think the current ending is really good as well.

20. That_Wascally_Droid

Jul 29, 2001
    Han shot Palpatine with his blaster.

Yes, that would be Empire's End's answer to it.
    But for 75% of the movie going populace, Vader killed him.
    Besides, Mara said that was just a weird bizzare imposter anyway so NYA!

21. SaberGiiett7

SaberGiiett7 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    I for one would like to see Darth Vader rumble with Emperor Palpitine without catching him by surprise. [face_devil]

That would've been the Force battle to end them all. :cool:Although Vader could harmlessly deflect the Force lightning (maybe catching the effect of a bit of it) but the Emperor's telekinesis skill's must be unmatched.

While he's hurling Vader every which way smashing him into the console's etc. . . Luke would step up to challenge Palp's and they'd ultimately defeat him together. :D

Vader could still toss him into the reactor core just under different cirmcumstances. Just a idea. :)

<[-]> Saber

22. padawanskywalker

padawanskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2003
    I would like his head to be chopped off.

23. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I just think it happens a bit too easily; the Emp doesn't even put up a fight, Vader lifts him up and he squeals a bit, and that's it.
    I really think it could've been improved if Vader and the Emp had struggled a bit more, Palpy turns the Force lightning on DV who just takes it and takes it but continues choking Palpy, and the lightning just starts smoking both of them. I just think its important to see Palpy getting a bit mashed because otherwise he just goes " Wha...? Ahhhhhhhh!!!!" and you think - well that was quick.

But at the time I loved it just cos Anakin saves Luke. That was the main thing.

gez

24. yerykenobi

yerykenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    Palpatine died because of his overconfidence, when he believed all was under his control, by the person he believed his aprentice.

I really love the way he died.

25. eclipseSD

eclipseSD Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    Palpatine's death worked fine.

I love the shot of him falling down the shaft, yelling, and shooting his lightning.

BTW we are talking about the movie death, not the crazy EU death.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.