main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Could Porkins survive?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by midthomp, Aug 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. midthomp

midthomp Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 30, 2003
    Would Porkins have survived if he took that one guys advice and ejected over the death star?

Would he parachute onto the surface of the death star? Being that it is in outer space he would have a hard time breathing and his chute would have some trouble catching some air.

If he did survive the fall onto the death star, would he have gone inside and start attacking the storm troopers, or would he walk down the trench and jump into the exhaust port to try to knock out the reactor himself?

2. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Typically when a pilot ejects, he has a few minutes of breathable air. It is during that time that a shutle picks them up before they suffocate or freeze.

Of course, there were no shuttles around, so maybe Biggs just wasn't thinking straight.

3. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    or would he walk down the trench and jump into the exhaust port

Yyyyyeah, um, he wouldn't fit. :p

Rick McCallum loves you!

4. DarthBurns

DarthBurns Jedi Master star 4

Apr 28, 2001
    [face_laugh]

Please say you aren't serious with them suggestions.

5. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    The little square things on teh orange jumpsuit are life support things. So that would help them survive, when they eject, I think the whole cockpit ejects, not Porkins himself.

6. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Nope, just the pilot and his chair eject. When the life support unit detects a vacuum, it immediately projects a cocoon of air around the pilot so that he won't suffer from the decompression.

7. midthomp

Jul 30, 2003
    "Please say you aren't serious with them suggestions. "

no, I just thought it was funny that Biggs told him to eject into outer space.
    He probably would not fit into the exhaust port but you never know. ;)

8. Bid4Tuna

Bid4Tuna Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2003
    if he ejected he would have been launched to the nearest planet but if he landed in the water he would drow so thats not such a good idea i guess

9. Lanky

Lanky Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2002
    Porkins could've fit down the exhaust port. It was two meters wide, remember.

10. Master_Y-wing

Master_Y-wing Jedi Master star 4

Mar 1, 2003
    This thread is surprisingly hilarious. Porkins looks more a Y-wing pilot, what with his fatness and all.

11. Bid4Tuna

Bid4Tuna Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2003
    why make fun of porkins he's a hero and he died trying to destroy the empire and that's good

12. PalpatineAntikristos

PalpatineAntikristos Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2002
    Midthomp wrote, "No, I just thought it was funny that Biggs told him to eject into outer space. He probably would not fit into the exhaust port but you never know."

I think his crash landing on the Death Star I would have been similar to the Executor's crashing into Death Star II.

Secondly, if he had survived, one must remember that heart disease is the number one killer amongst GFFA males.

13. midthomp

Jul 30, 2003
    Ok, since the port is 2 meters wide I guess he could fit. The problem I see is that with Porkins walking down the trench, Luke might crash into him killing both of them.

I guess he could hide behind something in the trench and take pot shots at the tie fighters.

If Porkins was able to make it to the port, would he have to shoot the reactor or would his speed falling down the tube destroy it when he hits it?

14. Mysterious_Assassin

Mysterious_Assassin Jedi Master

Aug 4, 2003
    Perhaps though, Biggs and Porkins didn't get on well, and so Biggs spent the entire battle telling him to eject.

However, we only get shown Biggs telling him to eject when he has a problem.

If he did eject, and his air ran out, would Yavin start orbitting around this body?

15. KiAdiMonday

KiAdiMonday Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 18, 2003
    Nope, just the pilot and his chair eject.

Where did you get that from? It makes no sense to have a space vehicle that ejects just the pilot and his seat into a vacuum.

When the life support unit detects a vacuum, it immediately projects a cocoon of air around the pilot so that he won't suffer from the decompression.

But of course if there is a vacuum then that 'projected' air wont last long.

As a kid I wanted to fly in an x-wing. But not any longer it sounds like the worst design ever.

16. EternalRogue

EternalRogue Jedi Youngling

Jul 8, 2003
    kinda funny to see a fat man shooting across the screen after ejecting.....maybe splat into a tie fighter window or something.....and why did Lucas have a fat person and call him Porkins.....was he bored that day

17. midthomp

Jul 30, 2003
    "I think his crash landing on the Death Star I would have been similar to the Executor's crashing into Death Star II. "

I think he would bounce and survive the fall and then procede with his attack.

18. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Where did you get that from? It makes no sense to have a space vehicle that ejects just the pilot and his seat into a vacuum.

I got it from the EU. And it makes perfect sense, because when a ship is damaged enough that the pilot is forced to eject, then the cockpit wouldn't be able to stay sealed very long.

It will last longer than you'd think. It's the same principle as the "open" docking bays seen all throughout the films. A magnetic field keeps the air in and the vacuum out. The main danger to a pilot while he's ejected is freezing, since that bubble of air does not retain heat. And of course there is also flak from the battle that he has to deal with.

19. VCT

VCT Jedi Master star 3

Jun 28, 2001
    When the life support unit detects a vacuum, it immediately projects a cocoon of air around the pilot so that he won't suffer from the decompression.

Don't you know what the word 'cocoon' means? One of the definitions is "A protective covering or structure." Obviously the air would be held in by a membrane of some kind that immediately envelops the seat and the pilot. The air wouldn't just be shot out into space around the pilot where it would immediately dissipate and do absolutely no good -- hence the word 'cocoon.'

Edit: Or the cocoon could be a magnetic field as Bib said.

20. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    The pilots are usually wearing the pressure suits anyway, which are like the spacesuits we have on earth except smaller.

21. SSD_Lusyanka

SSD_Lusyanka Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2003
    If he did survive, and walked in the trench, the turrets could have killed him.

22. Lanky

Lanky Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2002
    If he did survive, and walked in the trench, the turrets could have killed him.

I dont think so... they couldnt even hit a fighter, how're they going to hit someone 1/100 their size?

23. SSD_Lusyanka

SSD_Lusyanka Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2003
    He'd be a lot closer. With in a few feet. and he wouldn't be as fast as the fighters either.

24. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    I dont think so... they couldnt even hit a fighter, how're they going to hit someone 1/100 their size?

Don't you mean 1/2 their size? :p

25. VCT

VCT Jedi Master star 3

Jun 28, 2001
    [face_laugh] Midthomp, it actually seems as though you are taking your suggestions seriously so just for fun I'll try to give you serious answers. As much as I enjoy the idea of good ol' Porky ejecting and landing on the Death Star, blasting his way inside, and attacking stormtroopers, I'd have to say that the probability of such a scenario occurring would be exceedingly remote.

Edit: Sorry, I missed your second post. Never mind. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.