main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Could Porkins survive?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by midthomp, Aug 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KiAdiMonday

KiAdiMonday Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 18, 2003
    Then explain the "We are opening the magnetic fields" line.

The falcon is made of metal if it contains iron or other magnetic metals it would be repelled by a magnetic field. Simple really.

2. Lightsabre

Lightsabre Fan Force Founder star 4 VIP

Nov 12, 1999
    The real question is, would Porkins ejection give him enough velocity to orbit the death star.

No, it was a premature ejection.

3. midthomp

midthomp Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 30, 2003
    For maximum destruction Porkins could do a cannonball onto the surface of the Death Star.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>The falcon is made of metal if it contains iron or other magnetic metals it would be repelled by a magnetic field. Simple really.<<

Then why would the Imperials have to clear the bay due to that field being lowered?

5. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    The falcon is made of metal if it contains iron or other magnetic metals it would be repelled by a magnetic field. Simple really.

Then how does that hold in atmosphere? As you can plainly see there is a nice shot of troopers standing in the bay with nothing stopping them from being expelled out into space. Just what is keeping them in then?

Perhaps they were named magentic fields for something unrelated to holding in air. Perhaps, they operate on the same principle as something else and no one bothered to change the name?

6. KiAdiMonday

Jul 18, 2003
    Then why would the Imperials have to clear the bay due to that field being lowered?

Because the bay's air is evacuated this, however, has nothing to do with the magnetic field. There is not necessarily a causal link.

Then how does that hold in atmosphere? As you can plainly see there is a nice shot of troopers standing in the bay with nothing stopping them from being expelled out into space. Just what is keeping them in then?

I'm not sure if you are arguing against me or supporting my argument. Becuase my whole point has been that magnets can't hold in an atmosphere so there must be some other way to keep the air in.

Perhaps they were named magentic fields for something unrelated to holding in air.

Exactly my point. Remember the rebel pilots "Passing through the magnetic field" when they are no where near the docking bays.

7. Lightsabre

Nov 12, 1999
    Stormtroopers have heavily magnetized boots to keep them from getting sucked out, this also explains their slowness. However, this same excuse cannot be used for their aim.

8. Darth_Bog

Darth_Bog Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2002
    I think the bigger question everybody is missing is how the heck Porkins ship even got off the ground in the first place! He probably burned up all his fuel during takeoff, leaving himself a sitting duck out there during battle...which is why he had "problems" up there. :D

I always thought it'd be funny to see Porkins crash into the Death Star but see him survive thanks to all of the Twinkie filling inside the ship which acted as some sort of "airbag" for him...it always pays to bring some snacks with you. ;)

Oh, and this thread gets my vote for "Great Potential Thread ruined by morons having personal flame war having nothing to do with the topic." That's why they made the PM, so you guys could hate each other to your heart's content in private.

9. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    KiAdiMonday: Star Wars is fictional universe: Not everything has to make perfect sense via our laws of physics. In the galaxy far. far away, there could very well be magnets that can hold in air. I think we can also assume that the technology has advanced enough in this era for such "magnetic fields" to be developed ;)

And who said they were using magnets? They might be using a different effect to generate a magnetic field. ;)

Saying that magnets can't hold in air in the GFFA is kind of like saying that lightsabers don't exist: they do ;)

10. Old_Brown_Shoe

Old_Brown_Shoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 23, 2001
    Secret: the real reason Darth's wingman says "look out!" and swerves into DV's ship is because he couldn't fly around Porkins, who was laying there off-screen. Porkins is the real hero!

11. midthomp

Jul 30, 2003
    Ouch, a tie fighter flying into Porkins would decimate the tie fighter. Porkins then could continue on his mission to jump down the exhaust port.

12. Pod-racer_Girl

Pod-racer_Girl Jedi Youngling

Aug 26, 2003
    Poor, poor Porkins. I hope that he did not fall down into the shaft. It would be great if Porkins would get his own Trilogy: The Porkins Saga.

13. midthomp

Jul 30, 2003
    Him falling down the shaft is important as he was really the one to destroy the death star. Luke accidentaly shot down the wrong shaft so Porkins slid down the correct one and punched the core thus destroying the death star.

14. Lightsabre

Nov 12, 1999
    I think Porkins camped out on the South Tower to watch the action while destroying a box of Ding Dongs.

15. Darth_Bog

Darth_Bog Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2002
    Maybe Porkins got hungry and ATE the main reactor...Luke's shot just happened to be "lucky timing" on his part. Porkins probably burped or farted and caused the first gigantic explosion.

Poor guy...why did Lucas ever make him a pilot?

And doesn't the guy sort of look the the father of the Star Wars kid? :D

16. Old_Brown_Shoe

Sep 23, 2001
    Of course, he would have survived very comfortably if he had enough mass to collect his own atmosphere.

17. KiAdiMonday

Jul 18, 2003
    And who said they were using magnets? They might be using a different effect to generate a magnetic field.

So that would be a magnetic field different from the kind of magnetic field magnets use. 'Cos of course, bizarrely enough, magnets themselves work by using magnetic fields. Go figure.

Saying that magnets can't hold in air in the GFFA is kind of like saying that lightsabers don't exist: they do

Nope 'cos people have come up with semi-plausible ways for lightsabres to work.

On a side note "Star Wars is fictional universe" no it isn't. It's a fictional galaxy NOT universe. And since, as far as we can tell, our physical laws are uniform throughout the universe the laws apply to every GFFA.

18. Iron_Fist

Jan 30, 2003
    So that would be a magnetic field different from the kind of magnetic field magnets use. 'Cos of course, bizarrely enough, magnets themselves work by using magnetic fields. Go figure.

Magnets create a magnetic field, they don't use them ;)

Nope 'cos people have come up with semi-plausible ways for lightsabres to work.

On a side note "Star Wars is fictional universe" no it isn't. It's a fictional galaxy NOT universe. And since, as far as we can tell, our physical laws are uniform throughout the universe the laws apply to every GFFA.

So, ships flying through hyperspace and subspace they way they do in SW can be replicated here, can they? :confused: I'm pretty sure that they can't. And the "semi-plausible" explanation for lightsabers is not backed up by much scientific fact in our world. Same thing with all SW technology.

Star Wars is made up. That's what gives it its' appeal. Our laws do not have to apply to the GFFA, and they don't. ;)

19. KiAdiMonday

Jul 18, 2003
    Magnets create a magnetic field, they don't use them

Actually they do both. A magnet uses the field to do work. If you're going to argue semantics be as accurate as possible ;)

On your other points. Go read the Tech Commentaries they should answer anything your having difficulty understanding.

20. Iron_Fist

Jan 30, 2003
    And you do know that the Tech Commentaries aren't officially canon, of course. ;)

21. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    That's something that a lot of people can't understand, for some reason.

22. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Who cares? They're often more logical then some things with only the LFL logo on them.

Sometimes annoyingly so, but intelligence isn't a sin.

23. Lanky

Lanky Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2002
    I am SO ready for my SW: EE on DVD with the original restored and enhanced scenes "As George always envisioned them" of Porkins flipping his X-Wing, ejecting, and blasting straight into the Death Star. From there, he goes in, Rambo style, taking out Stormies left and right, until finally in a death defying stunt he throws an entire anti-starfighter gun down a empty shaft, where it explodes, destroying the reactor. Then we have a slow shot of him running from the explosion and jumping out of a docking bay (ala the Falcon entering: pointing stormies and everything). As the Death Star explodes and the X-Wings and Falcon fly away, Porkins floats with them back to Yavin, to receive a medal.

*cries tears of joy*

24. Old_Brown_Shoe

Sep 23, 2001
    Porkins=The Chosen One

25. midthomp

Jul 30, 2003
    Yes I believe that was Lucas' vision all along, Porkins has to be the saviour I just wish we got to see his lightsaber, maybe when the dvd comes out.

btw doesn't Porkins have a midichlorian count of about 100,000?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.