main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Could Rey fall to the darkside in Episode IX?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by StarWarsFan91, Apr 22, 2016.

1. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Do you think Disney would ever allow for that to happen?

How would you feel if she did?

I could accept her becoming a dark jedi if we don't get another "anakin" and it is done well.

In other words don't make her turn very predictable and super obvious. Don't have her commit horrific acts such as murdering a group of people or children. Don't give her a personality in Episode 8 which is unlikable and easily shown to fall to the darkside.

Have her be a good Jedi in Episode 8 (and parts of 9), and play a vital role with Luke in setting the stage for another Jedi Order (helping to find more candidates for example). It would also help if Luke doesn't be the Obiwan or Yoda, and doesn't die in the ST.

If she does fall, please no bowing to Snoke or joining with Kylo (if he is still alive) and the First Order. The less Anakin similarities the better. When it comes to force users we don't always need only 2 parties in the films.

No trying to restart the Sith.

Sure we have already seen the fall of someone before in films, but that was a path set in stone. We knew before even seeing Episode 1 it would happen. With Rey we have more uncertainty. We don't know if she will survive the ST, nor are we 100% sure she will still be considered a Jedi by the end of the ST. That can be a benefit to storytelling and give us something we never saw with Anakin.

What do you think?

MillenniumFalcon2015 likes this.
  2. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    I hope not, Rey is supposed to Luke's heir, after what happened to him between VI and VII. The Jedi need to return, he needs a success story. Nor should the first female lead in SW become evil, the character is supposed to be a role model for kids. Also when one turns that usually = to murder and other horrible deeds.

I don't mind if she goes closer to the dark than Luke ever did but to turn.......[face_not_talking]

DaddlerTheDalek and nightangel like this.
  3. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    Luke's had a few success stories already...

4. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    and what does that have to do with the Fall of the Jedi Order that happened between VI and VII and needing the Jedi to come back. After all that's the point of VII, it's said in the first few dialogues that the Jedi need to come back to make things right/bring balance because they are gone.

Plus I thought I told you to stop quoting me, it's as if you never read my posts.

nightangel likes this.
  5. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    I think at the end of the day, Disney will want to protect its investment, meaning that unless KK and the story group go way off track, they'll be as hands off as their egos will let them.

That being said, I think they'd need some serious convincing to let Rey go full blown Sith dark. She might skirt the edges as she comes to terms with who she is, or whoever she is depending on her heritage, but I doubt she'll go over the edge. The question is, whose actions will cause her to go dark? Kylo killing someone else, Leia or Luke. Finn dying or revealing that he's actually a spy. Snoke, because he's Snoke. Or someone else?

One Quarter Portion likes this.
  6. luketheforeigner

luketheforeigner Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 16, 2016
    Well this could be a interesting plot twist and would stand out from the other movies twists

jaqen likes this.
  7. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    not thank you, so Luke failed with Kylo and now Luke also fails with Rey???[face_worried][face_plain][face_not_talking]

8. AnneNeville

AnneNeville Jedi Master star 4

Feb 17, 2016
    I can see a story that traced the fall of Rey from light to dark and the return of Kylo from dark to light as highly compelling. I do think that Rey was portrayed as having a certain edge to her--she's a fighter, and she has had a rough experience so far that TFA only flirted with showing. With her history and a justifiable amount of rage when she fully accepts that her family will never return could push her over the edge.

I see a couple problems with this, however. First is the practical one: would Disney create this iconic heroine and then make her into the villain? If she were a male character, I'd have no doubt, but heroines are a bit thin on the ground right now and I don't think that Disney will turn their new iconic character too dark. Maybe in X-XII, with another new female lead?

Second, there could be unfortunate implications under certain conditions. If Rey is Rey Darkside, for example, and falls, while Kylo returns to the light, it would suggest that good and evil are somehow fated at birth, rather than composed of choices.

Third, it might make the villain/darkside team a bit overcrowded.

Maybe Rey will be tempted and choose to go to the light. Alternatively, maybe they will follow the promise of that poem in the front of the novel, and have her explore becoming gray and walking the middle path.

9. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Lol Luke straight up suckz..

10. silver springs

silver springs Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 14, 2016
    I think there's no way Rey will actually turn full dark if she's meant to remain the hero of the trilogy. Maybe a mild flirtation with it when pushed too far or given some piece of devastating information about her past, but I can't see Disney allowing Rey to commit unambiguously dark acts (murder, torture, etc) then having her come back to the light. There's already a question of whether Kylo Ren's past deeds should omit him from the opportunity to redeem himself - not trying to see that same scenario replicated with Rey. If she goes dark, she's staying that way (unlikely for so many reasons), otherwise I just don't see it happening.

11. iamtherebelspy

iamtherebelspy Jedi Youngling

Apr 23, 2016

I feel the only dark-light, light-dark transition we will see will most likely be Kylo's in eposide 9 when he and Rey take down Snoke (just theorizing). Everything about Rey is good, I think she is so pure in the light side of the force that she will remain so.

silver springs likes this.
  12. Fjall

Fjall Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2014
    i really hope not....

nightangel likes this.
  13. Robert Merrill

Robert Merrill Jedi Master star 2

Sep 23, 2014
    It would be a very interesting way to end the trilogy.

Allana_Rey likes this.
  14. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    It would be a terrible idea imo, and I cannot really see Disney or KK going for it right now. They're not going to take the first female main lead Jedi character in these films, who's already a role model for many women//girls (which LF/Disney seem very keen on encouraging) and the going "psych, we're actually going to turn her evil." And they're certainly not going to pull the old switcheroo with Darth Daddy Killer. You'd be ticking off a big chunk of your audience, for no good reason. We already have a "conflicted between light and dark" villain in Kylo Ren, no need for another.

These films have already been criticized, even by some who love them overall, for it's treatment of female characters (there aren't that many important ones to begin with, let alone heroes). So to raise the audience's hopes, only to pull this, no I don't see that happening right now.

Also, you'd tick more people off by, basically making Luke look like the most incompetent Jedi Master ever. Seriously, even after what happened with Ben and him presumably having had time to ponder where things might have gone wrong, and learn more about The Force, he STILL cannot keep Rey from falling. He cannot even keep one single student from either dying or going dark, really? Yoda will be face-palming so hard from the netherworld if that happens.

It feel like a "twist" just for the sake of doing one, not because it makes sense.

And finally, we just did the whole "main hero goes bad by the end" in the trilogy immediately preceding this one.

nightangel and starocean90 like this.
  15. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    Yes but Episode 8 does not have to be so depressing like episode 3's ending.

Rey could fall to the dark side but doesn't join the First Order. She would still be a threat to Snoke and Kylo (maybe she would want to kill him for revenge for killing Han). We wouldn't have Rey going around killing Jedi under Snoke's command.

If Episode 8 ended with Snoke and Kylos defeat (should be dead) and the First Order in ruins and Luke training force sensitive recruits....even if Rey fell to darkness, that would be a much happier ending the Episode 3.

16. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    it still makes Luke look as a complete failure, he cannot make anything working and no student from falling to the dark side. And this after he already failed his previous attempt to restart the Jedi order. I think this would be a very depressing way to deal with our first female heroine to end on the evil path. No thanks. [face_sick][face_not_talking]

17. l337toast

l337toast Jedi Padawan

Feb 29, 2016
    1. Rey's "turn" does not have to pit her directly against her friends or innocent people. Rather, she can go rogue, flirt with the darkside without falling like Anakin, and embark on a misguided quest for vengeance/power at the end of VIII. The stimulus will be the revelation of some dark truth or a clash of ideology with Luke. It will be Rey's soul, not necessarily her limbs, that will "appear" lost. For Luke, Finn, and co. this will seem a dark ending indeed. The best part from a dramatic standpoint is that most people cannot imagine that the new central heroine, an inspiration to little girls, and Disney's favorite new character, could possibly go dark. If that isn't a twist, I don't know what is.

2. You could address/diminish the outcry that Luke has failed another student yet again by setting up a Kylo redemption at the very end of VIII. Perhaps he soundly defeats Rey, but still cannot bring himself to kill her, and is somehow disillusioned with Snoke (finally convinced by Luke and/or Leia). He escapes for a good long think.

3. The potential for episode IX then becomes pretty high. We could get a dark-ish, ruthless, but not evil Rey. Would be fun to see Daisy Ridley deliver vigilante-type justice (at the end of a double-bladed lightsaber) to members of the first order. Of course, now she is vulnerable to Snoke's manipulations, just as Kylo was previously. This sets up the completion for Finn's character arc, who having come into his own in VIII, is on a quest (with Luke perhaps) to save Rey's soul. Kylo will be the wild card. All three parties will converge in a final confrontation with Snoke.

4. How it all comes together: Finn brings Rey back, not to the light per se, but into perfect balance between dark and light. Kylo, accepts Ben Solo, in turn accepting both the light and dark within himself, and saves the day. The film closes with Rey, Finn, Luke (if he lives) reigniting the jedi. Ben Solo, after a quiet bittersweet moment with his mother, flies off into exile, assuming the impossible task of redemption.

18. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    I have wanted to see a darksider vs darksider duel before in star wars films.

And if Rey did fall, well there is always a chance of hope in her future.

19. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    I would not root or attach to her anymore if she becomes evil. So what do we have then as new characters?

1. mass murderer Kylo = a big no go
    2. sympathetic Rey who becomes evil = a big let down and not relatabale anymore
    3. Finn? = hmm he started as a less interesting character at least in TFA (more comedy) and he could improve in VIII/IX

all in all this would be a little of a mess for the sake to mix black and white and I really need a character that I can relate to from the beginning to the end. And such a scenario would leave me with noone of the new characters in the end to be serious. [face_dunno]

starocean90 likes this.
  20. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    There is always a possibility of new characters that are introduced in Episode 8 and get some spotlight.

Just look at what happened with Lando.

21. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    I just don't like it and it is a big let down for our first real female heroine and also for Luke as a teacher who failed again. [face_worried]

Could it be that this 'Sunstone Palace' rumor is true, which hinted such an ending with Rey leaving Luke in the fight? And an ending with a demoralized Luke who gives up, but is not killed by Kylo? [face_dunno]

22. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    No, I'm also not a fan of the idea that falling to the DS is a switch that you can just turn on and off. It diminished the magnitude of Luke's accomplishments in the OT, and Anakin being able to pull himself back (and he had to DIE in order to do it). No, I'm not interested in another "hero goes dark" storyline at all, it's just not needed.

And given that I'm not really onboard the "Kylo redemption" train right now, his feeling sorry for bein an evil murderer would not do anything whatsoever to mollify my annoyance if they do this to Rey. What is this obsession from some that you need to "dirty your heroes up?" You don't, there's plenty of emotional drama with her mysterious past/interactions with the other characters already without needing to turn her dark.

Also I'm sure that Disney wants to tell the audience "hey you know that strong female hero that we finally gave you. Well now she needs a man (or men) to save her from her own inner psycho." Kind of shooting yourself in the foot there.

Also I don't see Snoke, Kylo, or the FO being defeated by the end of VIII. If anything, I suspect that they'll be stronger than ever.

missile, starocean90 and nightangel like this.
  23. l337toast

l337toast Jedi Padawan

Feb 29, 2016

2. See my post above (#17) for the more elaborate argument, but giving into your anger and emotions does not make you an evil person automatically. It makes you human and even more sympathetic. Rey will fail in big way at the end of episode VIII, and rejecting the traditional jedi teachings is one way to go about doing that. The central question in episode IX will be to see whether Rey will truly give into the selfishness and evil of the dark side like Anakin...or will she overcome the darkness within herself with the help of her friends?.

24. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    1. See that's the thing, I don't subscribe to the notion that "it's a twist, therefore that automatically makes it good or the best way to go." Doing a twist just for it's own sake, or because some in fandom seem to think that a "big twist" is the only way to tell a good/interesting story, is not automatically a good idea. In this case, the cons far outweigh the pros (from Disney's POV).

2. Actually this would do nothing to diminish those complaints, because Luke still WOULD have failed another student. It doesn't matter if Kylo feels bad or not, Luke would have still failed to prevent yet another pupil for going dark regardless. So apparently he's only good at pulling them back at the last minute, after they've already killed countless people and done vile/terrible things for years. But he's completely incompetent when it comes to actually preventing that from happening in the first place. Yeah still not looking too good there (especially since all of his other students were killed by his evil one as well).

missile, starocean90 and nightangel like this.
  25. l337toast

l337toast Jedi Padawan

Feb 29, 2016
    1. I would not call it a fall to the dark side if Rey were to reject Luke's jedi way at the end of VIII. Imagine that she is on a precipice at the end of VIII, with us all wondering if she will go the way of Anakin. She will be struggling with herself in IX, which we need our very human heroes to do.

2. Finn being instrumental to her eventual success is not a slight to women or her character, but rather a testament to the strength of their bond, a validation of friendship as a way to ground/anchor ourselves.

3. I agree that there needs to be something unique about Anakin's story, that he was the only force user to ever go completely dark and be redeemed. If you read the post carefully, this is NOT the path for Rey that I suggested at all.

4. It SHOULD be hard for you to sympathize at all with Kylo Ren, the mass murderer. The fact that he can still do good, in spite of those deeds, lies at the heart of Star Wars.