main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Could Shadows of The Empire Actually Made It As A Movie?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by YodasGroove, Jan 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YodasGroove

YodasGroove Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 7, 2003
    Do you think Shadows of The Empire had enough "juice" to have actually made it as a big screen movie in the fashion of The Star Wars Classic?

I guess in another reality it would've had to be released between Empire and Jedi, between '80 and '82? Probably not enough time to pull it off successfully and still fit into the flow?

Would do you think? I think the Tales Of The Jedi Saga still has potential as a movie in the future to be made. Great Comic Series.

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    If it were to be made now, it would have to be animated, or entirely CG, a la Final Fantasy, since the actors are too old to play those roles now. They could still provide the voices, though.

3. Obi-Wan McCartney

Obi-Wan McCartney Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 1999
    no...only because like most EU authors, they have made a totally implausible "bad-ass" villain.

4. metaforcesaber

metaforcesaber Jedi Master star 2

Oct 13, 2002
    Wait, are we referring to the N64 video game or the EU book? Or both? I assume this thread is focused on the book (which I haven't read), however I think the N64 SotE game would've made a good movie.

Heck, I think the PS1 Phantom Menace game had an overwhelmingly better script than Ep...
    wait, that's for a different thread. [face_mischief]

5. YodasGroove

YodasGroove Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 7, 2003
    This would be in refernce to the total Shadows multimedia project; the book, the comic, the game, the cd rom, basically the story in general, do you think it could of made it as a silver screen picture like the rest?

Bib, that CG idea and animated idea with the original actors provided voices sounds interesting.

6. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I don't think it would have made as good a movie as it did a book. SotE had a lot more intrigue and a lot less action than a typical SW movie, and there was also the lack of a lightsaber duel.

7. Lanky

Lanky Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2002
    lack of a lightsaber duel.

There was one in the comic between Vader and some training droids.

8. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    That's not a sabre duel, that's practice. :)

Possibly. It had an interesting enough storyline from my perspective. I'd make the fight between Luke and Guri near the end of the book longer and more detailed-maybe even bring it up to the level of Obi-Wan vs. Jango. That'd be a good replacement for a sabre duel.

9. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    They'd also have to rev up the space battle as they flee from Coruscant in order to make a satisfying conclusion.

10. newjack

newjack Jedi Youngling

Jan 13, 2003
    The fact is anyone with a very good computer in I'd say about 10 years will be able to make any movie they want,if they now how to use the technology.So yes there will be many other star wars movies made.

whostheBossk likes this.
  11. Lanky

Lanky Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2002
    no...only because like most EU authors, they have made a totally implausible "bad-ass" villain.

Hmm. I thought Xizor was one of the better EU villains, he isn't some all-powerful left over darksider. But that's another topic entirely.

Could Shadows of The Empire Actually Made It As A Movie?

I think it could. It kind of departs from the OT style though, with the crime syndicate thing. The only problem would be what to cut. I would cut ALOT of Xizors palace scenes.

12. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I was not impressed with Xixor. I thought it funny that Perry ripped off his own ideas from the Madator Series, but I guess if your going to plagarise anyone, it should be yourself ;) 8-}

On a side note, if you can find it, Perry's Matador series is a GREAT read of sci fi combined with martial arts.

13. StarDude

StarDude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 28, 2001
    I think it would have been great on the big screen.

Didn't Rick McCallum say that he hopes SotE will one day become a movie?

14. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    SOTE would make a really bad movie, imo.

I agree that Xizor was a bad villian ... he was really just a 'Gary Stu' imo. The worst part was the whole 'my pheromones make me irrestible to all women!!' plot device. And I won't even get on to 'Han Solo Clone' Dash.

I guess some of the action sequences would be good in a movie, the swoop chase comes to mind.

15. batvader

batvader Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    I am happy that it made for a really entertaining ''soundtrack'' album. The story wasn't that good for a film.

16. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    I Hated Shadows of the Empire.... The N64 game rocked but besides all that I think Everybody and their Grandmother allready had a better story in their head about what took place between Empire and Jedi. This was a great Era and could have been a great book... but they really dropped the ball on this one.

17. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I forgot about Rendar. Why not just make your own original character rather than make a bad copy of Han Solo...and then at every chance you can grind it into the reader's face that he is so much like Solo?

The basic idea could be used for a film, but LOTS of tweaking would be needed to make it watchable.

EDIT: I do think the Outrider is a cool ship and I'm glad it was put in the ANH SE.

18. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    There's nothing wrong with two characters in the same galaxy resembling each other. You don't think that out of the trillions and trillions of beings in the galaxy, two people can't have similar characteristics?

19. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I rather liked Xixor, although I do find his pheromones to be a stupid idea. On the whole, this book reminds me more of the prequels than the originals-less action, more thought.

20. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Maybe not much wrong with it on the surface but he may have just went with the actions of the character instead of constantly telling the reader how much he is like Solo. He still could have just made an original character instead. I know he can, I have read his other work and he is a hell of a good writer.

21. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
    As much as I like the novel, I don't see this story becoming a movie.

22. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    I don't think it should be made simply for the fact of where it falls in the timeline for the movies.

23. Tayschrenn

Tayschrenn Jedi Padawan star 4

May 24, 2002
    I am pretty sure GL would never approve for another movie to be made. Also, he wouldn't like the idea of breaking up the saga (despite the fact that most fans probably wouldn't mind it.)

Tayschrenn

24. NiktosRule

NiktosRule Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2001
    No because Xizor totally sucks as a villian. He is a complete loser.

25. Darth-Vengence

Darth-Vengence Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    It wouldn't have to be totally CG, just the characters like Han Solo, Luke, Leia and Lando, but everything else could actually be shot. Like Darth Vader, the droids, Dash Rendar, Xizor, the Emperor, and Guri, and the environments.

All characters exept Luke, Han, Leia, and Lando could be shot, and all environments could too.

Think about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.