main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Could Shadows of The Empire Actually Made It As A Movie?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by YodasGroove, Jan 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Vengence

Darth-Vengence Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    Anyone care to comment on my opinion?

2. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I don't think Han would be in it at all, seeing as the block of carbonite he was in between ESB and RotJ limits his mobility. :p

I'm not sure how well the CGI of characters we already know would come across, anyway. The clonetroopers in AotC looked pretty realistic, but that's because we weren't looking at their faces and noticing how off various things were. ILM also seems to have a problem getting dynamic movements to look correct for CGI characters, so the confrontation between Xizor and Luke wouldn't look very good.

3. Darth-Vengence

Aug 16, 2002
    Your right. I forgot about Han.

Anyway, I think that by the time episode 3 is finished, the technology would be good enough to make CG characters. I guess it all depends on how well the Hulk looks now, and maybe the technology will progress even more to make Shadows of the Empire a reality.

I sure hope so. It would be an awesome movie.

4. Blast

Blast Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 8, 2002
    I would have no problem with a CGI-SOTE movie as long as it doesnt have a episode number(it could simply just be called "Shadows Of The Empire"),they add a somekind of duel in it and the have JW score it.Even though it already has a score,I feel JW could do a better job.

5. Darth-Vengence

Aug 16, 2002
    Exactly Blast.

That's what I think too. It wouldn't have an episode, it would just be STAR WARS, then SHADOWS OF THE EMPIRE then give the synopsis in the book.

And have just Luke, Leia, and Lando CG.

John Williams would definetley do the score.

I don't know how there'd be a lightsaber duel since there's no duel in the book, and no way Vader and Luke could duel between the movies.

I guess they'll just have to do without an episode number and a duel. They could get Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, and Billy Williams to voice their CG characters.

The rest of the characters, they could actually shoot.

6. ParanoidAni-droid

ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001

The fact is anyone with a very good computer in I'd say about 10 years will be able to make any movie they want.

I completely agree, compare the T-1000 in 1991's Terminator 2: Judgement Day with the cgi Yoda or Gollum and I say that the technology has jumped light years in a single decade. By 2013, I'd say the cgi capabilities would be dammened near photo realistic if not completely so.

~PAd

7. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    I really hope they don't make SOTE as a movie. Actually, I'm certain they won't for a variety of reasons, but the reason I don't want to see SOTE as a SW movie is that it greatly cheapens ROJ. It underscores the entire movie. I mean, Xizor planning the DS2 trap and bossing Jabba around? It turns Xizor into the real villian of the saga, when he's just some EU villian who only appeared in this one book.

8. ParanoidAni-droid

ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001

EU villian who only appeared in this one book

Au contre mon frere. He's appeared in something like four or five books to date.

~PAd

9. RODIMUS-PRIME

RODIMUS-PRIME Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 27, 2003
    Wouldn't "Shadows of the Empire" be a fitting title for Episode III?

Roddy

10. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Considering there may not even be an Empire in it till the very end, I'd say no :p

11. Vanthorne_OX

Vanthorne_OX Jedi Master star 3

Nov 11, 2002
    It's a good SW book, but that's about it. There's no need for it to be turned into a movie. Some of my favorite parts of SOTE are not spoken, only thought. It's hard to convey that onscreen. The book format better highlights this strength.

12. Darth-Vengence

Aug 16, 2002
    Depends on where the technology is after episode 3 comes out, If they can pull off making digital characters look real, like final fantasy, if they can do better than that, then i say go for it.

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It'd make a good TV mini series- whether it be all CGI animation or live action with recasted main characters.

I have a thread over in lit that discusses how the various EU books could be turned into a TV series (think 24 combined with Babylon 5 combined with the Twilight zone to get an idea about how it could structured in an effective manner as a show), though it probably requires at least some familarity with some of the EU titles, for those interested the thread is here:

Quest's EU TV Show Layout!

The most recent version of the layout can be found on the final page of the thread.

14. RogueSith

RogueSith Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2001
    "There's nothing wrong with two characters in the same galaxy resembling each other. You don't think that out of the trillions and trillions of beings in the galaxy, two people can't have similar characteristics?

Of course when you take into account that we only get to meet a couple of dozen people out of trillions, getting doubles is a heck of a long shot. Add on the fact that the first of theses two characters "resembling each other"(putting it lightly to say the least) just happens to be out of action when his double conveniently shows up... well I guess it's a small universe after all.
    Or maybe just an unimaginitive expanded one.

[face_plain]

15. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    I'm confused, who are you talking about, Roguesith?

16. RogueSith

Oct 24, 2001
    One of the reasons against SotE being made into a film is it's characters. Characters like Dash Rendar, a cheap Han Solo knock-off(IMO of course).
    Bib said it was likely that in a galaxy of trillions, there would be characters "resembling each other".
    I was just saying it seemed very unimaginative, a common trait of the EU in my experience.

17. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
  18. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think Perry has said that Dash was basicly a Solo stand-in for SOTE.

Though, they were a little different from each other- Dash was more like what Han would have been like had Han not joined the rebels and had stayed independent, I've always felt.

I liked Xizor too...it was good to have someone who challenged Vader, but not in a pyshical way, since he'd obviously lose one-on-one with Vader. And since it was really Palpatine playing Xizor against Vader, it ties in well to his manipulative ways.

19. PauluZ

PauluZ Jedi Youngling

Jul 2, 2002
    @ Darth-Vengence:

Williams already did the score for SOTE..and IMHO its one of the best SW soundtracks. Williams even 'borrowed' some small parts of the SOTE score for Episode II.

20. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    RogueSith, Dash wasn't a cheap Han knock of, he was a cheap Cable rip off. I half expected the action figure to have one glowing eye.

PauluZ, the SOTE soundtrack was done by Joel McNeely and the Royal Scottish Orchastry. They got Williams to do track one. Track one is basicaly the SW opener mixed with a re-do of the Carbonite scene, which Willians had already done for Empire, so it's not really new stuff. The soundtrack is really good, though.

21. Darth Jamus

Darth Jamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 1, 2000
    Let Shadows Of The Empire rest in peace. No need to dredge up that filler crud now. Xizor sucked and was a silly idea, Chewbacca's mowhawk was stupid, and the whole story ruined the neat "lets imagine what happened" era between the two films. But then, that is all the EU is goo for, now isn't it! I have tried to forget it ever since! I hate that the Boushh disguise came from Xizor's silly organization! And if you read the comic books, Boba Fett talked to himself constantly, rolls eyes!

22. danjedi

danjedi Jedi Youngling

Jan 17, 2003
    Well like i said a while ago,in 10 to 15 years anyone with a very good PC will be able to make any movie they want depending on if they know how to use the technology.Digital cameras will prbly be better than the one George used for AOTC.These type of technologies are going to make homemade movies possible for online viewing.This on the other hand will hurt the movie industry,for there are people like you and me who have a very good imagination who will make these movie's.Alot of us are more imaginative than any HollyWood guru,we just dont have the money to make these films.This will happen.
    For example Nvidia the PC industries foremost video card designer is coming out with the GeforceFX card,this card promises to make (cinematic) gaming possible.Producing graphics better than those used in Terminator 2's T-1000.Will have the technology to make Toy Story type graphics also.Have you seen any of the DOOM 3 pictures or movies.
    All im saying is that in 10 years CPU technology will be 100 times more powerful than it is now and any of us can and will be making Star Wars movies forever.

23. RogueSith

Oct 24, 2001
    Right.

I can see how that relates to whether or not SotE would make a good movie. Wait... no I can't.

:confused:

24. Tayschrenn

Tayschrenn Jedi Padawan star 4

May 24, 2002
    Hehehehe.

Looks like a crossed wire.

Tayshcrenn

25. StarDude

StarDude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 28, 2001

I can see how that relates to whether or not SotE would make a good movie. Wait... no I can't.

And how does your comment relate? [face_plain]

Anyway, I really do think SotE could translate well onscreen. Of course certain parts of the book could be changed for a movie. Maybe give Dash more originality for example.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.