main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Could Sidious Have Survivied the fall?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Anakin_Skyrunner, Jan 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anakin_Skyrunner

Anakin_Skyrunner Jedi Master

Oct 8, 2002
    Im not starting a whole, "He's ALIVE" discussion, but do you think he could've lived?

2. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
  3. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Well in the EU, Palpatine's body was destroyed at Endor. However, his spirit travelled to Byss, where he entered into another body and once again became the Emperor. A clone of his actually, for this was part of Palaptine's plan to rule forever. When one body died, he would just take up a new and younger body to rule from.

However, from the movies alone, Palpy did infact die. His body anyways died.

4. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    I guess it would depend on what he fell on/in. Since he fell into that energy stuff chances are no. Without getting into EU where he lived via a clone.

5. Master_Enkei

Master_Enkei Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 19, 2003
    He died. [face_plain]
    and even if he didn't die from the fall, I'm sure the huge explosion of the Death Star would have killed him.

The EU saying his "spirit lived on and went into another body" or whatever.. make's Anakin's sacrifice seem in vain.

6. alpha_red

alpha_red Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 24, 2003
    Well, Luke's alive. So it wasn't in vain.

7. The_Nameless_One

The_Nameless_One Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    I thought Lucas was quoted as saying that the prophecy of bringing balance to the Force meant removing the Sith from the Galaxy. If Palpatine is said by outside sources to have survived, then that would mean that we'd watch the six-part saga, and never see the prophecy being fulfilled - both Luke and Anakin would have failed if Palpatine survived.

8. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Of course he could survive. A TIE fighter could even fly by and catch him. :p

His survival in the form of a clone took nothing away from Anakin's sacrifice. The strength of the dark side was gone from the galaxy: it was no longer dominating the turn of events. The "good side" was now strong again.

The Dark Empire series was a taste of what the sequel trilogy would have been had Lucas made it. Lucas even liked it so well that he bought copies of the series for all his employees at LFL as a Christmas gift one year.

9. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    The EU saying his "spirit lived on and went into another body" or whatever.. make's Anakin's sacrifice seem in vain.

No it doesn't.

10. General_Windu

General_Windu Jedi Master star 1

Dec 20, 2003
    Didn't Luke and Leia join the Dark Side to kill Palpys clone but stayed on the Dark Side?

11. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Not exactly. I suggest you actually read Dark Empire rather than going by word-of-mouth.

12. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
  13. DarthLazious

DarthLazious Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    I say he died casue if he did not Blance would have never been brought to the Force.

14. The_Nameless_One

Apr 21, 2002
    Lucas said that the fulfillment of the prophecy was the removal of the Sith from the Galaxy. If Palpatine's "spirit" survived the Battle of Endor, then Anakin failed to fulfill the prophecy.

15. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    The Sith were gone. Then they came back for a short bit but because of Anakin's sacrifice they couldn't gain any power.

16. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    The fufillment of the prophecy was the destruction of the Sith. And that's what Anakin did. For 5-6 years after ROTJ the Sith didn't threaten peaceful life in the galaxy. Then, as ousley said, they tried to come back, but the children of the Chosen one were able to beat him back. :)

17. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    If Palpatine's "spirit" survived the Battle of Endor, then Anakin failed to fulfill the prophecy.

Incorrect. Anakin destroyed evil's supremacy in the galaxy. Palpatine's return didn't change anything.

18. LordSilvertouch

LordSilvertouch Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2003
    Okay... in theory, in body, and in all effect on anything, yes, Palpatine died in that reactor. There was a tale to tell of his return in spirit but that was a miserable failure and he was an echo of his former self, and unable to gain any true power because he had already been killed.

We've all seen force ghosts, we all know that it can happen, but, as we've also seen, they "can't get involved"

They are unable to directly influence anything in the living world.

19. The_Nameless_One

Apr 21, 2002
    The main problem with all these "extras" added from other sources to the saga is that they display a complete and utter ignorance of myth and mythic structure, and the symbols that Lucas uses.
    He has crafted a tale with a beginning, a middle and an end that is firmly gounded in a basic story-pattern used by mankind for thousands of years.
    Nothing else is required before the saga, during the saga, or after the saga - every single important mythic detail is covered.
    They are presented, developed, and concluded - a cycle of beginning, middle and end.
    All non-film related sources are there simply to help generate the money required for Lucas to complete his vision - finishing his story, and creating the technology to do it, is what matters most to him, and he's shown himself quite willing to pursue every possible means of realising it, even if that means exploiting the fans to some extent.

20. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    You know what would be awesome? If when Lando and Nien Numb are flying into the reactor, they see Palps falling from above and he splatters on the windshield, and then they use the wipers to scrape him off. :p

21. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    ...they see Palps falling from above and he splatters on the windshield, and then they use the wipers to scrape him off.

[face_laugh]

22. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    He could have survived the fall- since he likely fell onto some kind of catwalk or something at the bottom of the throne room tower.

However, he did explode into fiery energy, which would imply he didn't actually survive whatever it was he crashed into, even if it was theoretically possible to survive such a fall as a remote possibility.

And even if he did survive "popping open into fire", i doubt he was in any condition to evacuate the DS2 prior to it's destruction.

So that incarnation of Palpatine definaitely didn't survive ::)

23. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    I remember that there was always one false but amusing rumour that you could see Palpatine falling from a shaft, just as Wedge and Lando make the run at the DS2's reactor core... :D

24. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    He could have survived the fall, I think. After all, Anakin survived that fall in AOTC onto Zam's speeder, and he's not quite as powerful as Palpatine.

I can see it now.

PALPATINE: Eeeyaeaeaeaeaeaeaeaaaaa
    LUKE (O.S.): That scream sounds familiar!
    PALPATINE: yaeyayeayeayeaaaa
    (lands)
    What? Oh! I'm alive! Oh, happy day! I'm saved! I--
    (Death Star blows up)
    Oh, damn!
    (dies)

Rick McCallum loves you!

25. DarthLazious

DarthLazious Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    :)) that is too funny.

Thread Status: