main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Could Star Wars do a Planet of the Apes?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by OldTimeFan, Aug 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldTimeFan

OldTimeFan Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 28, 2011
    Planet of the Apes was a five part story and like Star Wars it sits in my collection.

Rather then remaking it they rebooted it and it failed.

I just got back from the New reboot and I have to say WOW it blew me away.

Should Lucas let somebody else try their hand at a Star Wars saga reboot?

What would a Star Wars with a more serious and adult tone be like?

2. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Ok here is my take...Im not familiar with POTA, when you say reboot? Did they start over from what Mark Walberg did? That movie was good, I never seen the old ones.

Yes Lucas should allow the story to be retold, but not in Live Action. The live action saga is 12.5 hrs long...a 9hr japan animated version would be really cool. There already is the Lego video game which actually tells the same story but in a different way. An RPG game would be really interesting, where your party starts with Qui Gon & Obi Wan and ends with Luke & Anakin. Something that plays like Final Fantasy not an action RPG. You would have Jar Jar, Padme, Anakin, Mace, Yoda, Bail, the Droids, Clone Troopers, Leia, Chewy, Han, Lando, Lobot, Rebel troops/pilots, Ewoks, Gungans, everyone who fought from the protagonist point of view.

3. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Firstly I don't think there will ever be a Star Wars reboot. Simple fact of the matter is that these films age very well - Special Effects inevitably reach a point where it is just the details improving (like now), and as such these films will not be 'redundant' in that regard. The reason films need to be rebooted is because the original looses relevance or context, or the series has fallen off the rails (Star Trek for instance). These films don't loose relevance (removed from our own world, exploring eternal themes, mythological) nor do the structured elements of these films cause the series to fall of the rails (at least in regards to the films). Planet of the Apes needed a reboot because any non-reboot would have been repetitive and because it was slightly disconnected with the audience.

I also think Star Wars has appropriately 'adult/dark-tone'. Any darker and you would lose what is fun about the films.

What I would like to see is episodes VII-VIII-IX, exploring the rebuilding of the galaxy after the Force has been brought back into balance. Episode VII could open with the Liberation of Coruscant and explore the establishment of the Second Republic (obviously a plot to drive the story); Episode VIII could explore Luke being dispatched to explore the mysteries of the Force; and Episode IX could explore the final conclusion of the Republics war against the Empire, the re-establishment of the Jedi Order, the Republic and the final fate of the Empire. These films could be the most epic in the series, with a large-scale galactic war going on throughout.

4. OldTimeFan

OldTimeFan Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 28, 2011
    I agree I would like more Star Wars the nice thing about reboots is that they do not affect the originals.

If the reboots were good that would be fine if they sucked we could just forget them.

5. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    Not bad of an idea, but Id hate anymore Live Action SW films...the 6 we have now is already a source of conflict among the fans. Another 3 is just overkill...now an animated film based on the after math would be cool. It would be apart of the EU world, but Id never want to see another set of live action movies, especially with the fans that refuse to let the six gel together.

6. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Why reboot when the you have an established story eternally relevant? Don't separate them from the established Saga - if people don't like the story they can disregard them just as many do with the Prequels.

I'm sure it would be a completely different situation from the Prequels.

Firstly fan expectations in regards to the story would be significantly reduced. Instead of an origin story which fans had been formulating since 1977, the sequels are full of unknown possibilities. You have the potential to have tension (disregarding the EU of course) and a monomyth would be followed more closely than a 'Tragedy' - one of the main complaints about the Prequels was the lack of a focused main character. Imagine the GCW Liberation of Courscant (a galactic Battle of Berlin). Or Luke being dispatched into a mysterious region of space where he would discover the mysteries of the Force (maybe even from the Whills). The potential to more closely follow the OT template is extraordinary.

Furthermore I am sure Lucas would be wise enough to give the project to three individual directors (Spielberg, Jackson and Abrams). I think the Prequels were a fantastic concept - people just didn't particularly like the execution. If you made the series a collaboration of the paramount directors of Hollywood I can instantly see them being more successful than the Prequels.

A full-scale war throughout the Trilogy? The most successful Directors in the business? I think that would be an instant hit (apart from the EU fans of course).

IV-V-VI-VII-VIII-IX: The Journey of Luke Skywalker

7. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    I already hate the idea lol....so Id naturally dislike 3 more movies no matter how good or bad they are. They would RUIN MY CHILDHOOD........see what I did there?? I am not knocking what you wish for, hey it might turn out good, but for me, 12.5 hours is enough StarWars to analyze and over analyze lol...I mean read some of the comments on this very forum ha ha ha...We have so many critics, do we really need more division? Hey its not like its in the works or anything. So I really can get angry at your idea.

8. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    Is Mark Hamill going to play Luke? Elite fans DO TRY to disregard the first half of the saga, but its not a battle they are actually winning. GL is not giving the whiny fans what they cry for, instead he has polished the saga for the next generation, Now if your idea of 3 more movies brings in more fans, I cant be mad at that. How old in GL anyway?

9. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    Rise isn't a reboot of the series. It's a reboot of two films in the series, namely Escape and Conquest. It still ties into the original film. So if Star Wars was to follow suit it would essentially mean remaking the prequels with the remakes tying into the original trilogy.

There's also something else to consider. When Rise was made, the series wasn't going anywhere. In contrast, Star Wars is thriving with a successful animated series, an upcoming home release that is set to break records and the return of the films to cinemas in 3D. There is no need to reboot Star Wars.

Now if Lucas wanted to make a prequel, a kind of origin story for the Jedi, Sith and Republic that would tie into the saga, that could be interesting (Star Wars: Prologue?).

10. StarWarrior92

StarWarrior92 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 7, 2011
    Agreed. A reboot is usually used when the franchise is dying (or already dead). I think Star Wars is alive and well. ;)

11. TH_421

TH_421 Jedi Youngling

Aug 12, 2011
    I think they did. It's called Kashyyyk. ;)

12. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    If Lucasfilm ever makes any more Star Wars movies, I believe they will be set during the original Jedi/Sith battle a millenia before TPM.

13. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Possibly - or a long time before that. A story about "the old, old Republic" has been the only thing he's recently admitted any interest in doing as another feature.

14. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    He did?

15. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Yeah, he did. I can?t remember where and when, so I can?t link it, but I think it was round about the time when ROTS came out. I think he said something to the effect of how he would never do sequels, but if he ever did do more Star Wars films they would probably be set before TPM. I don't think I'm imagining it. :p

16. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    Then new Planet of the Apes is also a remake. Oh they can say all they want that it's not but how dose one explane Conquest of the Planet of the Apes which came out in 1972. Think about it.

As for a reboot our what ever no I don't think so. Maybe if the rights of the movies and ideas are passed on to someone he trusts a new set of movies. But a reboot it does not need one.

17. ThePriminister05

ThePriminister05 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 28, 2005
    Can we just settle this once and for all?

Rise ISN'T a remake nor does it tie into the original series(except the first film...which they might decide to do thier own version of that somewhere down the line).

If anyone remembers the original series, they should recall that the origin story regarding the apes was inconsistent from film to film. The filmmakers really had no choice BUT to reboot it cause the original series' continuity was already shot.

BTW...it's a fantastic film. Probably one of the best films of the year so far. Check it out if you haven't.

18. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Why is Rise not a remake of the Caesar movies of the original series?

19. DarthBandersnatch

DarthBandersnatch Jedi Master star 1

Jul 28, 2011
    Revenge of the Sith.

20. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    I might support that idea. Isnt there some video game based on the original fight between the Sith & Jedi?

21. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    No. And going by the EU, the 'original' fight between the followers of the light side (not yet Jedi) and followers of the dark side (the Sith as a culture came much later) happens something like twenty-five thousand years before the movies.

The Jedi and Sith do meet in the Tales of the Jedi comics... I don't remember if this is supposed to be their first meeting though.

22. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    I second the motion for a pre-TPM film or trilogy - and I would add an adventure or two after the main 'story'. They could make the following (VII, VIII and IX as well because it looks cool - didn't put The Thrawn Trilogy so it can remain independent of the films as books):

Pre-Saga: Dawn of the Light and Dark
    P1: Coalitions of the Core
    P2: Ascent of the Sith
    P3: The Great War
    P4: Birth of the Republic
    P5: War of the Force
    P6: Exile of the Shadows

The Star Wars Saga: The Skywalker Epic
    I: The Phantom Menace
    II: Attack of the Clones
    III: Revenge of the Sith
    IV: A New Hope
    V: The Empire Strikes Back
    VI: Return of the Jedi
    VII: Fall of the Empire
    VIII: Shadows of the Force
    IX: The Last Command

Post-Saga: War of the Resurgent Empire
    E1: Trials of the Republic
    E2: Empire Reborn
    E3: Dawn of a New Age

TV Series'
    Clone Wars
    The Clone Wars
    Dark Times
    Civil War
    Detours
    Force Wars

P= Prologue
    E= Epilouge

23. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    I believe he was referring to Knights Of The Old Republic, which wasn't an origin story of course, just one of the many wars between the Jedi and Sith but was set in the pre-TPM EU.

Personally, I'd be in favour of throwing out pre-TPM EU and just making a single movie set a thousand years or so before Menace, detailing the Sith's rule of the galaxy, the rise of the Jedi to defeat them and the formation of the Republic that came from it. No trilogy. Just a single film - Star Wars: Prologue.

No sequel trilogy either. Maybe a "Star Wars:Epilogue" set a thousand years after Jedi as a bookend with Prologue but that's it.

24. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    Honestly the only game I actually played was the Force Unleash which is based during the saga time frame. I have not play Knights of Old Republic, I know there are many wars in the Star War world jedi vs sith, Republics vs Empires...Even the current saga has 2 wars going on. Still another Live Action movie should be either way before or way after the SWS...it should not be connected at all to the Saga Six. I still think an animated version of the saga would be cool.

25. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    The recent PLANET OF THE APES movie is a prequel, not a reboot. The Mark Wahlberg movie is probably a reboot. This new movie is either a prequel to the Charlton Heston film or the Wahlberg film.

So . . . why would STAR WARS have to "do a PLANET OF THE APES", when it has already done so between 1999 and 2005?

Furthermore I am sure Lucas would be wise enough to give the project to three individual directors (Spielberg, Jackson and Abrams).

What the hell for?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.