main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Could Star Wars do a Planet of the Apes?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by OldTimeFan, Aug 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Exactly, what for? There is nothing to indicate that any of these guys could direct a SW film well... Spielberg included, even though I think he'd do a better job than Jackson or Abrams. I'm tired of the suggestion that either of those two would somehow automatically be a good SW director. And yet another thread about rebooting SW? [face_not_talking]

2. ThePriminister05

ThePriminister05 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 28, 2005
    This is still up for debate. The reason my money is on reboot is while there are random references to the original Heston film throughout...like I said...the story doesn't match what was said in Conquest of the Planet of the Apes or Escape from the Planet of the Apes(which contradicted eachother as well).

They may have made references but who's to say they're not merely setting up a sequel where similar events happen that happened in the original film.

3. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Just a few vague references - he was asked about the possibility of stories set in the KOTOR era at the SW Celebration III in 2005:

There's also another quote I can't find anywhere from around the same time, where he was discussing the future of the SW franchise, the animated & live action TV series - he said he wouldn't be doing any more features, but he might consider letting someone else do one, & that's when he mentioned the possibility of a story about "the Old, Old Republic".

4. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Because in my opinion, whilst Lucas is a good storyteller, creator and producer, he is not necessarily an exceptional director. He has been noted to have said on several occasions - as have the actors - that he isn't a very good director in terms of actually 'directing' the actors, and would have preferred more of an 'overseeing role'. I think he directed the Prequels more out of the fact that no-one else would do it and that he was 'advised' by his directing peers that the films should be completely his vision. His style isn't exactly the problem, I think that it was rather that he was writing and directing - and the fact he doesn't really like directing - that the Prequels themselves lacked somewhat. I like the Prequels however I think they could have been better.

An example of this can be seen in the Anakin-Padme love dynamic. We know that Kersh had a lot to do with the overall 'mood' and 'flow' of TESB, and generally we see the Han-Leia love dynamic to be a lot more successful. In contrast however the AOTC dynamic seemed to 'fall-short', in what I think, was a result of Lucas' directing.

I think if future features were tackled by other director - such as the ones I listed - further ideas would be brought into the production to develop and 'perfect' the film. In contrast it seemed that the Prequels were a film of one man; namingly George Lucas. They were enjoyable and acceptable films, however I think future features would benefit from the direction of other individuals.

5. OldTimeFan

OldTimeFan Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 28, 2011
    All Star Wars movies have been successful and in that sense I do not think we need a reboot.
    Having said that the story is complete.

We don't need a remake I agree but a reboot or retake could give us more Star Wars movies without affecting the six part saga.

I think it could work to let new writers at it and chop and change what they want to give us new Star Wars movies with a different tone.

How many Dracula movies have there been?
    They are all reboots.

Star Wars is not a dead franchise that requires a reboot however many fans would love new Star Wars movies.

Battlestar Galactica got a great reboot on TV.

How cool would a darker more adult tone Star Wars series of movies told from the Sith perspective?

6. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    I agree with you on this, and would love to see Episodes VII, VIII and IX, directed by other reputable directors. Personally, though, I would prefer Episodes VII-IX to focus on the next generation of Skywalkers. The PT was Anakin, the OT was Luke and Leia, and the ST would be the next generation of Skywalkers. However, I must say that I have no love whatsoever for the Skywalker/Solo children as they are presented in the EU and would hope for something different.

7. Bad_Feeling

Bad_Feeling Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    Reboots are one of most unoriginal concepts that Hollywood has had in a while. Sometimes they work out (Batman Begins / Star Trek '09) but they're quickly becoming tiresome retreads. For example Spider-Man getting a reboot already? Sure the third film sucked, but in the old days that would just mean that the people in creative control would pick themselves up, dust themselves off and come back full force. Often this results in some decent or at least interesting sequels.

Guess what will happen to the Batman series once Nolan completes his trilogy? It'll be rebooted... oh, YES, I can't wait to see how Bruce became Batman all over again... [/sarcasm]

It's becoming a tool used by Hollywood fat cats to repackage and resell the same product, the same STORY (because it's 'safer'), than to do something truly interesting and take some chances.

8. OldTimeFan

Jul 28, 2011

Agreed with your post however Hollywood is a business that is the reality.

I did not see the Spiderman trilogy nor will I be seen the reboot.

As reboots go I enjoyed Batman Star Trek and the new Apes movie.

Robocop is getting a reboot and if reboots are what we are getting Star Wars is the reboot I would love to pay in to see.

9. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    one of the main complaints about the Prequels was the lack of a focused main character.

After reading this, I cannot take any complaints about the PT from the bashers seriously again. Not after reading that comment.

Because in my opinion, whilst Lucas is a good storyteller, creator and producer, he is not necessarily an exceptional director. He has been noted to have said on several occasions - as have the actors - that he isn't a very good director in terms of actually 'directing' the actors, and would have preferred more of an 'overseeing role'. I think he directed the Prequels more out of the fact that no-one else would do it and that he was 'advised' by his directing peers that the films should be completely his vision. His style isn't exactly the problem, I think that it was rather that he was writing and directing - and the fact he doesn't really like directing - that the Prequels themselves lacked somewhat. I like the Prequels however I think they could have been better.

So, this whole argument is nothing but another excuse to bash the Prequels. How original. I guess you couldn't stand A NEW HOPE as well, considering that was directed by Lucas.

I get the odd feeling that there is something about the Prequels that really scare the SW fans. With those three movies, it sometimes seem to me that Lucas may have tapped into something about human nature that most people do not want to face.

As for a so-called "reboot", I would prefer for that to happen when I'm dead.

10. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Firstly I would like to establish that I am not a 'Prequel Basher'. TPM, AOTC and ROTS are just the first three chapters in the "STAR WARS SAGA". I think they are just as good, and in some cases even better, than the OT. But, alas, like all films and art (even the OT) they have flaws, which is what I am discussing.

Why is the PT seemingly exempt from criticism? I did not say that what I percieve to be a lack of a focused main character necessarily detracts considerably from the Prequels - rather that it was a flaw.

In regards to that flaw; I think it is evident that, unlike Luke in the OT, the main character (Anakin I assume) is less focused and seems to play an equal main character role as Obi-Wan (with Qui-Gon as well in Episode 1 and possibly also Padme). I personally think the main character should have been Obi-Wan with the 'tragedy of Anakin Skywalker' story running subliminally like it does in the OT. In this way one hero mentors the next. In no way does the established PT collapse under the weight of what I believe to be no main character - the story certainly works without - however I think it would have never-the-less benefited.

Different film. I believe the OT worked because it was both original and groundbreaking. Audiences didn't expect as much, and as such it works in my opinion. However for the PT I think a more skilled director was required to adequately balance fan expectation and the story. The acting and dialogue isn't all that exceptional in the ANH either - it was the world to which it was released which glossed over these flaws. The PT, because of expectation and the era in which it was released, required a more skilled director in terms of performance of the actors.

Once again I am fine with the Prequels, however I do not pretend there were not flaws.

Once again you are completely misjudging my criticism here. I get the feeling that - given you never miss an opportunity to dismiss any criticism of the Prequels - perhaps you feel a need to defend what you know to be a great yet flawed work. As if you don't want to listen to the flaws. I am merely criticizing the flaws in three films which I think are exceptionally insightful. Is there something wrong with discussing the flaws of a trilogy of films; why is this senselessly and meaninglessly dismissed as 'Prequel bashing'.

11. SithLord_1270

SithLord_1270 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 5, 2008
    No. If it ain't broke, why re-boot it.

12. OldTimeFan

Jul 28, 2011
    Because I would love to go and see some new Star Wars in the Cinema.

And if they make a mess of it no problem it will not be linked to the six part saga.

And it they do a good job of it more good Star Wars to enjoy.

13. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Could Star Wars do a Planet of the Apes?

Not until Star Wars has been dead for at least a decade.

14. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    =D= Excellent post, DarthPhilosopher.

15. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    Just no.

The main story is over and done with, Lucas has done the correct thing by moving Star Wars to television and getting away from the "Skywalker" story. Besides, there isn't much of a story left to do three more movies....now there is enough to perhaps do a post-ROTJ animated show in the style of TCW, but there isn't much left in the Skywalker story to do three more feature films.

16. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    There are a myriad of stories which would work well as feature films. What about the Origins of the Sith, Republic and Jedi? Establish a good set of characters and the fact it is essentially another 'Titanic-you-know-whats-going-to-happen' will be irrelavent. What about post-ROTJ? Luke venturing to the Whills to learn the secrets of the Force and his family - if I can develop an outline for a Fan-Story then a movie can surely be made. Heck what about another 'monomyth' with new characters in a new era? Then you have spin-off films.

17. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    That isn't deep enough to do three more feature films.

"Luke travels to learn the secrets of the Force and his family." Ok....and what, I mean there just isn't enough there to sustain a story IMO, a lot of the meat for a the sequel was wrapped up in ROTJ (Emperors death, and Leia becoming Luke's sister etc.). Don't get me wrong, your ideas are fine....but IMO they work better for television then they would for three blockbuster films.

18. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Well I'll elaborate on the story - it might only work as one film admittedly however.

Essentially Thrawn has just been defeated and the Empire is defending a national redoubt. In the still decimated capital (Coruscant) Luke is pacing the destroyed halls of the Jedi Temple were he receives a vision of his father, who instructs him to travel into Deep Space to the planet where the Ancient Order of the Whills resides. Luke and his band of friends depart Coruscant, however Mon Mothma orders that a Republic Operative accompany them on their mission. Stuff happens and they jump blindly into Deep Space following Luke's instincts. They arrive at the planet are pulled to the surface, Luke and Leia are told about the mysteries of the Force whilst the others pace the great gardens of the temple (this might sound boring however it is essentially an evaluation of the Saga). Evidently however the Imperial Operative is secretly a Imperial spy and he reveals the coordinates of the world to the Empire. While the story of Luke is happening the Empire is struggling to find adequate leadership and launch a final campaign to attain the power of the Whills and at least force the Republic into peace. The Imperials attack, the Whills destroy the fleet with the Force and the Republic launches an offensive realising that the Imperial forces defences have fallen. They strike against Mygeeto and are poised to launch an offensive against the Imperial capital, so the Empire signs an armistice and the war ends.

Obviously the story needs to be fleshed out but you get the point - the tension of the story is the Empire attaining the power of the Whills. Now no-one else use that template - I'm writing a Fan-Story version :p.

I think however, if there were to be more films, the original story synopsis should be adapted for a new trilogy set in the far past of the Star Wars universe (see specific thread).

19. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Agreed, as far as post-ROTJ films are concerned, anyway. One thing I bring up now & then is JRR Tolkien's aborted sequel to The Lord Of The Rings, 'The New Shadow'. He only got as far as the first chapter before abandoning it (this single chapter is included in Book XII of The History Of Middle Earth series). Here's what he had to say about it:

"I did begin a story placed about 100 years after the Downfall, but it proved both sinister and depressing. Since we are dealing with Men it is inevitable that we should be concerned with the most regrettable feature of their nature: their quick satiety with good. So that the people of Gondor in times of peace, justice and prosperity, would become discontented and restless ? while the dynasts descended from Aragorn would become just kings and governers ? like Denethor or worse. I found that even so early there was an outcrop of revolutionary plots, about a centre of secret Satanistic religion; while Gondorian boys were playing at being Orcs and going around doing damage. I could have written a 'thriller' about the plot and its discovery and overthrow ? but it would have been just that. Not worth doing."
    ? The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter 256

This, I believe, echoes GL's feelings towards his Sequel Trilogy, & quite possibly even whatever vague ideas he came up with for it. With Palpatine & Vader out of the way, further stories involving squabblings around the rebuilding of the Republic, while the remnants of the Empire create trouble, would just be a somewhat depressing anti-climax, & not in the same epic vein as the OT & PT.
    Such stories work quite well for the EU formats (books, comics etc), & might yet be OK for TV - but with the Saga the way it is (resolving Anakin & Luke's story arcs in ROTJ, as well as coming full circle in ROTS), there's just no room for more big films introduced with the Star Wars fanfare, an episode number in Roman numerals & the opening scroll against a seas of stars.

Back when GL & his collaborators believed the Saga would be a nine-film trilogy of trilogies, it's most likely that ROTJ & the PT were intended to have been very different, perhaps somewhat unresolved, with the overall story being resolved in Eps VII-IX, or being more contained, separate entities, but that's not the way it is now.

20. Bens_Dad

Bens_Dad Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 26, 2010
    The Planet Of The Apes series played to ever diminishing returns and, because all Hollywood does now is remake its biggest hits and failures, we've had to endure two remakes of the Apes films. Like as not, they haven't yet finished with this franchise. Which means more talking chimps and more work for Andrew Serkis.

Count me out of that particular trend. I'll stick with the Chuck Heston original, thanks, and try and pretend it all started and ended there.

I don't want Star Wars to be remade, I don't want an "adult tone" and I don't want Lucas to hand over the reigns lock-stock-and-barrel to some young Turk who thinks he understands Star Wars better than its maker.

21. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    I think the 6 main movies should be left alone(never hit the reset button on this!!!).

There's so much story to tell in between, before, and after the movies that CW and EU have been covering, that if they wanted to make live action(or CGI) movies they can knock themselves out.

But I don't want new 20-30 something actors to play Luke, Leia, and Han in a SW reboot(a la the new Star Trek...it worked fine for them IMO, but if I was a bigger Trek fan, I'd probably be ticked).

Just like I never want the James Bond treatment to ever happen to Indy. Young Indy(10-25) was fine. Great-Grandpa "eyepatch" Indy was fi.....ok, was never a fan of him. But the 35+ Indy is and always should be Harrison Ford.

22. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    How many times has Cinderella, Snow White, The Nutcracker, King Arthur stories been told?? Star Wars is fairy tale/story....should it really only be told once?? I dont want to see another live action saga at all or maybe when I am very old I would compare the new saga to the Original Saga....Original Saga....what a concept. I would love to see an animated version of the STORY...could they make the saga a 4 hr film? Where you start with TPM Anakin & end with ROTJ Anakin

23. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    Battlestar Galactica got a great reboot on TV.

Not as far as I'm concerned. That show turned out to be a major disappointment for me.

24. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    The original 1968 version with Charleton Heston was one of the best movies of all time. They quickly drove it into the ground with sequel after sequel in the early 1970s.

The 2001 movie with Marky Mark was a reimagining, establishing different origins and a completely different story.

This new one is yet another reimagining/reboot that seems to be more in line with the original films, in that it seems to be a prequel to what happens in the original films.

25. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    First, the original series was pure cheese and only lasted what, one season, not counting the horrible Galactica: 1980.

While I too was disappointment with the ending, it was a great ride and seasons 1 and 2 were some of the best TV I've ever seen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.