main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Could the Dark Side of the Force have a physical source? (person, object, planet, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ghost, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Jorus C'Baoth 2882

Jorus C'Baoth 2882 Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 18, 2015
    No, I hope it never comes out that the dark side comes from a planet or any source. The way I always saw it, the Force was a neutral energy that could be manipulated for good or evil purposes and that determined what "side" someone would belong to.

Not to say I dispute the concept of Force wellsprings, but an origin of light/dark? That's just too out there in my opinion.

2. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    FWIW, the planet Yoda visits is never referred to as a wellspring of the Force.

The Cosmic Force is referred to as the wellspring.

It's very consistently stated that the Force is generated by life.

Not sure why some Force ignorant Imperial guessing at Palpatine's motives is leading people to wildly speculate otherwise. Sheev doesn't strike me as the sort to share his hidden Sith agenda with Admiral Piett, if you catch my meaning.

3. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    Based on what we've seen in the CW, it would seem that many locations are strong in the Force - whether it be the light side or the dark. The planet Yoda traveled to, Mortis, Dathomir, Moraband, Bardotta, etc. Perhaps these places are so strong based on their inhabitants though - whether current or past. A planet full of Sith may imprint the location for an untold period of time. Its also possible that some planets are wellsprings for the light and the dark and they influence the population. I tend to believe that both the light and the dark are choices that an individual makes - they are all drawing on the same source in my opinion - they are no angels powering the light and no demons powering the dark.

4. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    I honestly don't know but I could see Palpatine blowing smoke to distract everyone and anyone from his real goals.

And we must remember that Qui-Gon and the Priestess(es) mentioned the Living and Cosmic Force as well as the Light and Dark Sides but I don't remember any of them mentioning the Unifying Force at this time. Anakin could be a unifier and bridge the gap between the two sides but I only came up with that recently.

As for the Dark Side being a person/place/thing it has, IMHO, been stated that the Force is an intelligent whatever It is. If it has a will and saw to Anakin's creation it has to be more intelligent than your average creature and must be as Sentient as your average person in the Star Wars Galaxy.

However I do believe that there are some places stronger in the Force than your average place and some of these places might be 'wellsprings' and/or reflect a nature of the Force. You cannot have creation without destruction or destruction without creation..

5. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    The Unifying Force is the Cosmic Force.

Dawud786 likes this.
  6. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    I bet it's Malachor 5.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  7. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Turns out SW was just another permutation of Transformers continuity all along. Corsucant aka Cybertron aka Primus is the source of the light side. Unicron's floating around somewhere in the rim as the source of the dark side.

[​IMG]

Mortis Than Meets The Eye

DelRiego, Revanfan1, Dawud786 and 2 others like this.
  8. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I'm excited for this new direction for the franchise

9. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    Directed by Michael Bay.

10. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Qui-gon says midichlorians make Life itself possible. Without midichlorians, nothing can live, everyone dies.

Similar to real-life mitochondria.

The planet Yoda went to probably wasn't the literal origin of midichlorians. That would be like saying there's an island on Earth where all red-blood-cells come from.

Death can't have a homeworld.

And the dark side isn't death. ROTS especially underlines how the Sith want to cheat death, while the Jedi accept death. Etc.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  11. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    While I agree it may not have been the only origin point, a more accurate description would be that there is a specific place where life originated - a distinct possibility. It is likely that midichlorians where created with life.

12. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    why do we take an Imperial seriously when talking on a subject out of ignorance but we don't take the priestess seriously when she says the planet is the birthplace of the midi-chlorians

I never understand the cherrypicking

smh

13. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I suspect it's an anti-TCW bias. I often see people insist that Darth Bane in Sacrifice was a real ghost in spite of Yoda saying "you are an illusion."

DelRiego and Darth_Pevra like this.
  14. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006

I don't think that planet was what people think it was. I mean, let's look at Mortis. Anakin, Ahsoka and Obi-Wan definitely see a physical monolith... but then they do this visionary transition that is common in any kind of dimensional or plane of existence shift. White light, everyone wakes up all "how did we get here?" Even as Yoda is flying to a planet in space, he ends up with this same visionary transition, white light, "whoa, in some strange other realm am I." A non-physical mystical realm where emotions take form in little dark Yoda Gollums.

There's no planet that is the "source" of midichlorians to blow up, because all of that ish was beyond the physical plane.

Ghost likes this.
  15. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    but this is Star Wars we have to take everything literally

Lazy K and Dawud786 like this.
  16. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Generally, we take things literally unless we have a reason not to. For example, the computer that I'm typing this on literally exists.

17. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    Where is that quote from?

18. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Star Wars Insider 145 and 146

19. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I believe that Aftermath with that dark side power in the unknown regions is akin to Dark Empire. In some ways components from that series made it into Aftermath, of course with out the story but the analogy piece. Still, I suspect that we are going to view the force in a whole new way when the movie comes out in 2015. This new star wars will be different.

20. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Which page is that on, because I can't find it in either issue in the part 1 or part 2 of the article.

Contextually, this is a session between Lucas and ADF from 1976 before Star Wars was released and had just finished production and Lucas expected the film to be a box office failure due to the poor progress of the SFX in post production and the terrible time he had actually shooting the film (which is why he never directed again until TPM, if I'm not mistaken), and was discussing continuing the story in novel format with ADF to conclude it. The story ideas are mostly Lucas going over stuff he had in earlier drafts that he got rid of. Some of them made their way into Splinter of the Mind's Eye. I didn't see the quote above but I may have missed it. But they also discuss stuff like the kyber crystal that amplifies the Force and Lucas later reused the name for lightsaber crystals so that interview isn't exactly accurate as he developed the story in the sequels to the original film. Plus ADF used the kaiburr crystal which sort of amplified the Force a little I guess?

FWIW, they also talk about Leia as a love interest for Luke who then gets killed. "I wouldn't mind killing her off."

Edit: I found the quote. In the context of the discussion, the scene Lucas is describing is what developed into the hologram scene with the Emperor in TESB.

Although, in describing the Force as the devil, it reinforces my theory that the Force is evil, which is why Barriss and Jacen both turned to the dark side after achieving perfect unity with the Cosmic Force.

Also, amusingly, Lucas says that Vader killed Motti in Star Wars.

21. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I'm not.
    I hope it's not true.

But I have a hunch that the ST will confirm it's true and I want to discuss the idea now to prepare myself for it.

Hope so.

EDIT:

Huh, never heard of that Lucas quote before, saying the Force is the ultimate evil. Very interesting.

22. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Yeah I wouldn't put anymore credence in that than into Lucas talking about Luke and Leia's romance in the same discussion.

Ghost likes this.
  23. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    My thinking is that before Lucas decided to make Sheev Force-sensitive, he intended the dark side itself to be Vader's master.

Dawud786, DelRiego and Darth_Pevra like this.
  24. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006

More likely than not.

darklordoftech likes this.
  25. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    "Seduced by the dark side" would have additional meaning in that case.