main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Could the Jedi Cause an Imbalance in the Force?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth Maaliss, Jan 6, 2015.

1. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    At this point Qui-Gon was beyond the Jedi as illustrated in TCW.

Well the only reason they tested him was because Qui-Gon thought he was the Chosen One. Maybe he didn't force them but they had an exceptional situation. Either way they stuck to the code religiously instead of adapting to the situation and following what the Force was telling them.

Either way this debate is whether it was Qui-Gon or the Jedi who were more responsible for the fall of the Order. It is obvious, to me at least, that the Jedi in a broad sense led to their own demise. Whether Anakin's fall was a result of the Jedi or Qui-Gon is up for debate and I think it may have been beyond either of them really since it was obvious he had to be trained. I do think that had the Jedi not excised him because he represented something outside of their dogma and had they enabled him to more properly deal with his situation then perhaps he could have been saved. After all it is obvious that had they enabled him to resolve the situation with his mother (maybe let him visit his mother, etc.) he would not have had all the other problems.

2. only one kenobi

only one kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 2012
    How would allowing Anakin to visit his mother have resolved his problems? His mother wasn't the problem, his fear of loss and attachment were. And...would Qui-Gon have seen it that way? At the beginning of TPM what does Qui-Gon say to Obi-Wan when he senses something "elsewhere"? He says "Don't centre on your anxieties Obi-Wan. Keep your concentration here and now where it belongs"

Why would Qui-Gon teach Anakin something else? Why would he teach Obi-Wan that, but treat another Jedi apprentice differently?

3. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Point conceded about Anakin's mother.

Although I do think the point is Jedi dogma led to their downfall. The fall of Anakin? Maybe, but I concede that neither Qui-Gon or the Jedi may have been able to save him. Either way however he needed to be trained.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    It was better for him that he got off Tatooine, which happened because he got trained. If he had stayed, Cliegg Lars would have had to buy both him and Shmi, and who knows if that would have happened.

It was also, arguably, better for the galaxy, because he met Padme and they had Luke and Leia, who were largely responsible for the demise of the Empire.

But was it better in the short term/better for everyone in the PT era that he got trained? Would Palpatine have been able to form the Empire and execute Order 66 without Anakin's help? I don't know.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  5. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Yes. The clone plan was conceived before Palpatine even knew about Anakin. All Palpatine needed to get Order 66 to work was to have the Clone Wars in progress.

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I didn't have a solid answer in mind for that one and I can accept that argument.

7. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    "I think it is obvious that [Qui-Gon] was wrong in Episode I and made a dangerous decision, but ultimately this decision may be correct. The “phantom menace” refers to the force of the dark side of the universe. Anakin will be taken over by dark forces which in turn destroy the balance of the Galaxy, but the individual who kills the Emperor is Darth Vader—also Anakin. The tale meanders and both the prediction and Qui-Gon are correct—Anakin is the Chosen One, and he did bring peace at last with his own sacrifice. Luke couldn't kill the Emperor himself, but he could make Anakin reflect on his life and kill the Emperor."

--George Lucas, Cut Magazine interview, 1999

The thing with Qui-gon was that he knew that there was a possibility of rejection, which he outright says.

SHMI: "Can you help him?"

QUI-GON: "I'm afraid not. Had he been born in the Republic, we would have identified him early, and he would have become Jedi, no doubt...he has the way. But it's too late for him now, he's too old."

SHMI: "Will you take him with you? Is he to become a Jedi?"

QUI-GON: "Our meeting was not a coincidence. Nothing happens by accident. You are strong with the Force, but you may not be accepted by the Council."

And this was before he concluded that he was the Chosen One. So even then, Qui-gon was going to train him similar to how Yoda had trained him and Obi-wan and the other Jedi. And ultimately, Obi-wan uses the same measure that Qui-gon would have used. The key problem is not how he was going to be trained, since we know Luke turned out well, but because Palpatine was a major factor.

8. The Sith Camp

The Sith Camp Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 10, 2015
    Imbalance in the Force eh? Well not that I'm providing F.I.T.S. on a post in February BUT wasn't in the EU with the game with the Jedi Exile - Meetra Surik - didn't she become at one point a Wound in the Force like Darth Nihilus? Hence given a Wound in the Force is like a severe 'traumatic' disturbance and often by a major loss of life ...

9. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    True, though that was more of the games tying into existing EU and to the films, plus doing their own take on the PT storyline.