main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Could the NJO be the SW equivalent of WWII's war in the Pacific? (spoilers and potential spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Knight1192, Dec 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _Tenel_Ka_

_Tenel_Ka_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2001
    lol, I like that comparison!
    and it makes perfect sense.
    thanks for explaining that Knight, I read the post to quickly!

2. Jedi_Anakin_Solo

Jedi_Anakin_Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 27, 2001
    This is a great idea! There's only one problem: WWII did not start at Pearl Harbor, that's just when the Japanese Empire was stupid enough to wake a sleeping giant. And the sleeping giant was pissed.

3. _Tenel_Ka_

Sep 11, 2001
    didn't it start when Germany invaded Holland, Austria, and Belgium and such.
    sorry if I'm being ignorant, the most reading I've ever done on WWII is reading the diary of Anne Frank... I haven't taken History 10 yet.

4. Jedi_Anakin_Solo

Nov 27, 2001
    Basically. I'm pretty sure Polland was the first country they invaded though.

5. _Tenel_Ka_

Sep 11, 2001
    ah yes, that was it.

6. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

Good post, Knight. However analagous the Yuuzhan Vong conflict may appear to the Pacific War, I think this may be because in any large conflict where each side concists of major players (USA vs. Japan) or (New Republic vs. Yuuzhan Vong) you will have high and low points, victories and losses on both sides, the ebb and flow of a conflict. Similarities are implicit, but not necessarily based on, i.e. the same way Battletech history was molded around early 20th century Russian history.

7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Jedi_Anakin_Solo, do not demean yourself by responding to bobabooie's insult with one of your own. Canada was a Commonwealth country and was involved in the fighting; along with the Australians, New Zealanders and UK and US troops engaged in securing the Normandy beachead following the D-Day landings in 1944.

B's comment towards Americans was out of line, but you do yourself a disservice to respond in a likewise manner.

OK, as for WW2:

Germany declares war on Poland, a Brtish ally in 1939 at which point Britain declares war on Germany. Germany later forms an alliance with Japan, thus forming the Axis powers of Germany, Italy and Japan. In 1939 Italy was already allied to Germany and Germany had signed a non-aggression pact with the USSR. That pact was broken when Germany attacked the USSR in 1941, following successful takeovers of Holland, Belgium and France; Spain was an ally under Franco and the attempt to take Britain failed. Meanwhile Japan sneak attacked Pearl Harbour and by the end of 1941 the line up was complete:

The British Commonwealth, US, USSR versus Germany, Italy and Japan. Italy fell in 1944, Germany in 1945 and, at the last, Japan following 2 atomic bombings.

That's a very brutaly concise history of WW2. Although it should be said at no point was it victories all the way, far from it.

Jedi Ben

8. Jedi_Anakin_Solo

Nov 27, 2001
    I stand corrected. In that case, they need to train history teachers better, because I believe my history teachers exact words were "Canada sat on ther #$@es and didn't do #$%#." Not the kind of language a teacher should be using I might add.
    I am glad to hear that he was wrong, I like Canada. It's a cool country. I apologize for spreading what I was eroneously informed. Thank you for correcting me.

9. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000

Canadians didn't do anything in WWII

Your ignorance is astounding.

Aside from liberating Holland, landing at Dieppe in 1942 as prelude to Normandy, landing at Normandy, helping liberate France, fighting in Italy, developing artillery methods now used by nearly every nation on the planet, fighting in the Battle of Britain, and participating in the bombings of Germany, no, they didn't do much.

10. Jedi_Anakin_Solo

Nov 27, 2001
    "Your ignorance is astounding."
    So is your complete lack of tact and inability to read what i just posted two seconds before your own post. My IQ is comfortably above idiocy thank you very much. I am guilty of being misinformed, no more no less.

11. bobabooie

bobabooie Jedi Youngling star 2

May 3, 2001
    "responding to bobabooie's insult" - and what insult would that be? Does this mean any history that doesn't make the US seem like knights in shining armor is an insult?

12. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000
    So is your complete lack of tact and inability to read what i just posted two seconds before your own post. My IQ is comfortably above idiocy thank you very much. I am guilty of being misinformed, no more no less.

How about your inability to check post times. If you look at mine and yours, you will see they are the same (10:30). So how could I have known that you were posting a retraction? You made a bold, baseless statement and I called you on it. As for being tactless, no more so than you. And I never called you an idiot. I appoligize for the initial insult.

13. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Bbabooie's line:

"After 1942, when the Americans got off the butts and stoped going to Nazi party ralies it was."

And you're surprised an American decides to post something slagging off Canadiens?

I can quite understand J_A_S' motivation, after all you only said Americans were pro-Nazi; supporters of the evillest group of people in the entire 20th century. How was any American on this board not to feel insulted by that?

Jedi Ben

14. Jedi_Anakin_Solo

Nov 27, 2001
    Jedi Ben: Thank you!
    Kier_Nimmion: When someone calls me ignorent i fell i have every right to be offended. I apologize for not looking at the post times, but that really doesn't change whether or not you flamed me, does it?

15. bobabooie

May 3, 2001
    Dude, look at history from an objective position. For 2 and half years while England, Canada and most of the world was at war the US did sit on their butts and watchs, and you can not like it all you want, but the Nazi party was in America and they did hold fairly large ralys, and the American flag flew beside the Nazi flag - its a FACT.

Now if you want I'll go the other way to tell you something Canada did that was wrong during the war - I'm assuming you know both Canada the States put Japanese Canadians/Americans into concentration camps (I don't care if you like that name or not, but thats what they were). Now the American government was a lot better then the Canadian - the people had their belongs put into holding and were allowed to return home after the war. The Canadain government on the other hand took and sold just about all the peoples belongs (cars, houses, furnatur, cloths - I read one case history were a pricesless, 34ft hand crafted and hand carved fishing boat (the carvings took 3 and half years to finish) was sold for 32 dollars and the family got 5) plus after the war the Canadain government didn't let the Japanese canadains go back home but sent each family (and split them up in many cases) to small downs so they couldn't form large cummities.

Also learn you history, yes Canada is part of the commone wealth (the Queen of England is also the Queen of Canada) we entered WW2 on our own and made a declaration of war on our own. England no longer had that power over us.

16. Jedi_Anakin_Solo

Nov 27, 2001
    So we're being insulted for what our ancestors did?! LMAO! That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard!
    My Grandfather almost died fighting in that war, and I wouldn't be alive today if he had, so if I'd shut your mouth.
    I will not be insulted or responsibility for actions that people that were alive took before my dad was even born!
    Should Germans take responsiblity for the actions of Hitler? Should all African Americans get praise for something Micheal Jordan does? NO!

17. bobabooie

May 3, 2001
    "So we're being insulted for what our ancestors did?!" - I did not say that.

18. Jedi_Anakin_Solo

Nov 27, 2001
    Excuse me, but you most certainly did. You are insulting America because of it's actions in WWII, I am an American. Surely I don't have to draw a diagram for you.

19. bobabooie

May 3, 2001
    Why is it people have to take everything so personally. So the US government in the 1930's didn't want to get into the war when they could have - and yes (Canada did this too) turned away the St. Louis Ship and put Japanese Americans into Concentration camps. And yes you history was alittle wrong - Canada didn't enter the war becasue of England, the Canadain government entered on its own. I never said the individuals were bad (and be honest, very few of them wanted to go and fight) and to be honest, the effectiveness of the US army in WW2 was kind of a laugh that asn't the average solders fault. I have nothing but respect for those who fought, but I also study history and look at it from an objective point of view. And to be honest - a lot of the time you don;'t like how things look (you think I love how badly Canada treated Japanese Canadians?, I hate it, but I don't try to pretend it didn't happen)

20. Jedi_Anakin_Solo

Nov 27, 2001
    I'm not pretending something didn't happen, but I really fail to see how your US bashing has *any* relevence to this thread.

21. bobabooie

May 3, 2001
    I dunno, someone said one thing, I corrected them and it turned into this. Also related facts is not bashing - do you mean I have to pretend that things happened differently?

22. Jedi_Anakin_Solo

Nov 27, 2001
    "do you mean I have to pretend that things happened differently?"

*rereads all of my posts*
    When did I say that?
    Now you're just putting words in my mouth. This is getting sad.

23. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    So you want to get particular on when the war started? Ok, how about we begin before the invasion of Poland (Sept. 1, 1939), as that is generally viewed as the beginning of the war in Europe. Yet with the war in the Pacific, we can go back to at least Sept. 19, 1931, when Japan invaded Manchuria in North China. July 7, 1937 China was then invaded. But in general, it seems that the war in the Pacific is viewed as beginning the 7th of Dec., 1941.

Oh, I can trace the beginnings of the Pacific Theater back even further than 1931. How about the first step in secureing Manchuria, the murder of Chinese warlord Marshal Chang, on June 4, 1928 by a staff officer in the Japanese Kwantung Army.

This thread concerns just one theater of the second World War, the Pacific. The European theater should not come into it.

24. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000
    Manchurian Incident or Mukden Incident,1931, confrontation that gave Japan the impetus to set up a puppet government in Manchuria. After the Russo-Japanese War (1904?5), Japan replaced Russia as the dominant foreign power in S Manchuria. By the late 1920s the Japanese feared that unification of China under the Kuomintang party would imperil Japanese interests in Manchuria. This view was confirmed when the Manchurian general Chang Hsüeh-liang, a recent convert to the Kuomintang, refused to halt construction of railway and harbor facilities in competition with the South Manchurian Railway, referring Japan to the Nationalist central government. When a bomb of unknown origin ripped the Japanese railway near Shenyang (then known as Mukden), the Japanese Kwantung army guarding the railway used the incident as a pretext to occupy S Manchuria (Sept., 1931). Despite Japanese cabinet opposition and a pledge before the League of Nations to withdraw to the railway zone, the army completed the occupation of Manchuria and proclaimed the puppet state of Manchukuo (Feb., 1932).

25. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Thank you for the info Kier. It's more comprehensive than the books I was working with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.