main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Could the "Other" Yoda spoke of still play a part in the ST?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Primetime_Jedi, Jul 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Primetime_Jedi

Primetime_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000
    Here's the theory:

Obviously, in ROTJ, Yoda was referring to Leia when he said "There is another Skywalker." And Obi-Wan confirmed this to Luke.

However, could the line in ESB have been referring to somebody else?

"That boy is our last hope."
    "No, there is another."

Lucas has stated (I don't have the quote handy) that his original idea was that this "other" referred to someone on the other side of the galaxy, perhaps a lost sibling of Luke, who would appear in Episodes VII-IX. Now, there won't be another sibling of Luke, but it could refer to someone else who is powerful and important.

Why would Yoda have said to Obi-Wan something that Obi-Wan already knew perfectly well--that Leia was out there? I think we forget that Luke himself didn't hear the line in ESB because he was flying away in his X-Wing. Luke only heard the line in ROTJ, which was different, "There is another Skywalker." The immediate answer is, of course, that George didn't have the Luke/Leia thing figured out yet while ESB was in production.

This leaves the door open for the "Other" from Yoda's line in ESB to be someone else. George always wanted this person to be in the next trilogy. He thought he closed the door with ROTJ, but it's not airtight. Disney/JJ/Kasdan, etc. could exploit this to bring in this other character. This would explain the ESB line and still be accurate, you know, "from a certain point of view." :cool:

whostheBossk and cwustudent like this.
  2. SgtTimBob

SgtTimBob Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 5, 2014
    "The other he spoke of is your twin sister."

I always just saw Yoda's line "No there is another" as reminding old Ben about the possibility of training Leia if Luke should fail. Trying to retcon the 'other' would seem forced to me.

3. Primetime_Jedi

Apr 21, 2000
    May the "forced" be with you. [face_laugh]

4. Summers1913

Summers1913 Jedi Knight star 3

May 12, 2014
    Retcon the retcon that made no sense after episode III?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TX-20 likes this.
  5. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    I don't recall hearing this a anywhere, it sounds terrible.

6. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    The "other" in 1979 (When Then Empire Stikes Back was released) in Lucas' drafts was to be his seperated long lost twin sister, rumor has it Luke would train her son as the next Jedi in VII decades later after he finally found her. By the time of 1983 (release of Revenge Return of the Jedi) Leia had become that long lost sister, to steamline the story to a conclusion point... we'll see who the kid(s) have been revised to after 30 years in another 2ish years when VII finally gets released (excluding the possibility of spoilers telling us sooner that is.)

7. Ditolus

Ditolus Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 22, 2005
    no no and oh yea, no.

8. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    It's made abundantly clear here that Leia is the other that Yoda and Obi-Wan were speaking of.

9. loki41872

loki41872 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    Hell yeah, she will. I hear she's being played by Carrie Fisher.

Mind-scrambler!!

10. Primetime_Jedi

Apr 21, 2000
    Those of you quoting ROTJ are missing the point. Yes, the immediate context of what Yoda said to Luke was referring to Leia. No question about that.

What I'm saying is that the ESB conversation between Yoda and Ben was a different conversation, referring to a different person.

I realize this is a bit of a stretch, but with the lack of any real info right now (see my other thread, lol), I am speculating as to something that could possibility be construed into a story/mythical/something cool. The door could be open for this "other" from ESB to be someone else. The ROTJ conversation is different, and came after Lucas decided to "finish" his SW story "forever." Did you get that? No more story after Episode VI, right?

Wrong.

With the Sequel Trilogy, it's a whole new ball game.

11. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    initially it could have been but by the time the rotj script was done leia was the sister and "the other".

Dak Oolron, BigAl6ft6 and Ryus like this.
  12. City Councilman Binks

City Councilman Binks Jedi Master star 4

May 7, 2014
    Empire-There is another
    ROTJ-There is another skywalker

2 different people. I think that is the point Primetime Jedi is trying to make

13. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    Yeah, I understand the point, I just don't agree with it. Lucas may have had another idea when he wrote the line for TESB, but Leia being introduced as Luke's twin sister in ROTJ pretty much closed any doors that the line in TESB might have opened.

14. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    We all get that, we all just respectfully disagree.

15. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Sounds way too contrived. I don't think there's any good reason to think it means two different people.

It's likely that line just meant that Ben didn't see Leia as much of a "hope" simply because she hadn't been trained in the Force like Luke, and stood much less of a chance against Vader and Palpatine than he did.

Dak Oolron and Ryus like this.
  16. Primetime_Jedi

Apr 21, 2000
    You would think, but we all also thought that ROTJ pretty much closed the doors on the whole saga. But it didn't.

17. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Here's a very interesting scenario that is probably far-fetched.

What if Domhnall Gleeson poses as Luke's son in order to distract the baddies from the real "other". In other words, there is a galaxy-wide hunt for Luke's son because word is out that he actually has one. Domhnall Gleeson is that person. The Sith want him and want him BAD. They need him to create what they have been wanting-a resurrection of the Sith and a dark side army (yeah that again).

However, Domhnall is not Luke's son. Instead, the real "other" is Daisy, Leia's daughter. However, for at least most of Episode 7, we are made to believe Dom is Luke's son.

I know, I know-that will piss people off who really want Luke to have a son (and he might-I'm just throwing a scenario out there).

Just an idea, not a rumor or prediction.

18. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    "There is another" was in the case that Luke dies on Bespin. At that time, Leia has no Jedi training or even knows that she has the force. There's no way she could've been "the last hope" in this circumstance.

ForgottennJedi1986 likes this.
  19. Primetime_Jedi

Apr 21, 2000
    See, speculation like this is fun. Though I had a bad thought - I really hope they don't recycle the "there is another" line in the ST as referring to new "other."

Rickern likes this.
  20. Rickern

Rickern Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    "That boy is our last hope."
    "No, there is another."
    "Who?"
    "C'mon Obi. That woman in the Mos Eisley Cantina, remember her, do you?"
    "Yes"
    "Well, something to tell you, I have".
    "Oh!"

Interesting twist :D

Anyway, this hypothetical "another" should be as old as Luke by now. Maybe we could be talking about Obi-Wan's grandchild for EpVII.

Darth Zannah and Sarge like this.
  21. Darth Uma-Queca

Darth Uma-Queca Jedi Knight

Jun 17, 2014
    Ben: That boy is our last hope.
    Yoda: No... There is another.

I always tought that "another" wasn't referring to a diferent unknown person, but to a diferent way the Emperor would be defeated. The way I see it Obi-Wan tought Luke was their last hope in defeating the dark side. But Yoda may already foreseen that there was still a slight chance that Anakin could be redeemed and kill the Emperor.

Jedi Daniel, danmcken and cwustudent like this.
  22. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    By grandchild you mean his padawan's padawan Ahsoka, right? Obiwans too good of a jedi to that no attachments rule ever to have fathered an actual child. You see the voices in my head heard the latest rewrite was by Dave Filion, this way VII can tie onto TCW and Rebels, Ahsoka forever! 8-}

Seriously though, HELL NO TO BOTH IDEAS!!! [face_talk_hand]

Rickern likes this.
  23. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    So in other words, if ROTJ never existed then the other that Yoda spoke of might be somebody else. Right. So how far do we want to take this? Maybe if TESB never existed then Darth Vader isn't really Luke's father. I don't mean to offend anybody but I find this thread's premise a bit pointless.

24. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    he actually said " there is an udder".

just off screen was a cow

25. Primetime_Jedi

Apr 21, 2000
    Darn it I'm offended!!!! :mad:

What's pointless is why would Yoda say to Ben "Hey remember Luke has a sister who could also save us." Did he really think Ben forgot about Leia? Ben was there for the birth. I know death causes some memory loss but still......... Lucas ret-conned this line into ROTJ to tidy things up because he decided not to have a sequel trilogy. OOPS! [face_whistling]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.