main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Could the "Other" Yoda spoke of still play a part in the ST?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Primetime_Jedi, Jul 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    Crikey sorry. Don't get upset. The point is, ROTJ does exist so speculating on whether something will be in Episode 7 on the basis that ROTJ does not exist doesn't really make sense.

Togruta and Ryus like this.
  2. Rickern

Rickern Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Actually, Ben couldn't even forget about Leia... he saw the hologram and even was in the Death Star trying to save her! It's not like he was "damn, this Leia girl, there was something about her but I can't remember what it was". He should've known all the way that she was the Jedi's plan B.

The rough part here is that if JJ wants to play this card in EpVII he will have to be very VERY persuasive to avoid the lengths of fans coming on and pointing their fangs to his neck [face_plain]

3. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    As it stands the "no... there is another" line is a bit misplaced anyway... because Obi-Wan should have known about Leia and Yoda should have said "no... there is Princess Leia too remember".

The bottom line is that Leia being 'the other' is contrived anyway... so if they wanted to spin it that Obi-Wan/Yoda were telling Luke half truths and, in fact, they were referring to someone else (and not Leia) could be easily written. I don't think for a second that will happen, but it could easily be worked in... if they so wished.

Death Wizard and cwustudent like this.
  4. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    This is a pointless debate. This "other" person was a plan B in case Luke failed. He didn't. The Emperor and Vader were destroyed, along with the Empire itself. End of story. This other is irrelevant at this point.

jaqen and Dak Oolron like this.
  5. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012

I agree. It would really mess up the plot if they were speaking of different people.

Togruta likes this.
  6. Primetime_Jedi

Primetime_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000
    Hey don't worry. I was being silly about the offended part. ;)

Exactly. And remember I'm not arguing probability, just possibility. There's a 90% probability that I'm wrong. But I'm arguing for the 10% possibility. I don't like saying there's 0% chance, especially with an epic saga like SW that is breaking new ground with a new trilogy and other movies.

7. Claire1976

Claire1976 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 20, 2013
    Once upon a time the "other" was another, then Leia became the "other" so now there isn't another.

Huh? [face_thinking]

8. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Regardless of what Lucas' intentions were at the time ESB was first released (which don't matter anymore, BTW), I strongly feel that the whole "there is another" subplot was completely resolved in ROTJ-and it works just fine, IMO. The whole point of saying that was in reference to the idea of who would be able to defeat Vader and destroy the emperor if Luke failed. A back-up plan, basically. But the emperor and Vader are now long gone, by the time of Ep. VII.

What I'm hoping to see in the ST is an entirely NEW plot and a threat to not just a few Jedi, or to the main characters, but to the entire galaxy. Not more of the same, but something iconic, on an epic scale. I'm not sure if that's what we'll see, but I'll just say that for this reason, I'm glad the whole "Jedi hunters" rumor has been debunked pretty much.

9. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    You can hardly blame Ben for calling Luke their last hope. Leia had zero Jedi training or experience; what are her chances of winning against two Sith Lords? It's no wonder that reveal was saved for when Luke had to leave for that final confrontation.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  10. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Perhaps Leia was supposed to be the last hope, but something happens to her and thus Daisy Ridley must take on her role. Luke, being hunted, must train Daisy who fulfills the destiny that Luke described: that there is another Skywalker...

11. Tatooine Twilight Twins

Tatooine Twilight Twins Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014

Bingo. And that is why I think he will avoid going that route. Besides that whole element may take up too much time. Why introduce such a character unless you intended to use him/her in an important manner?

12. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    [​IMG]
    "Tell me... who was the other"?
    "There is no other".

13. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Do you mean the other's brother from another mother?

Death Wizard likes this.
  14. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    I always found it depressing that Obi-Wan and Yoda never believed Vader could be redeemed. In the context of ESB, before ROTJ and loooong before ROTS, "there is another" could refer to Vader. And in the end, yes, there was another Skywalker - Anakin killed Palpatine, not Luke, and certainly not Leia. The Legends/EU Leia (IMHO) seemed adamant that she wasn't a Skywalker (well, until Tatooine Ghost). She acknowledged being a blood descendant of Anakin, but in her opinion Bail was her father. But ROTJ did happen, and Lucas established that "another" referred to Leia.

Darth PJ likes this.
  15. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Without having read any part of this thread, I'll say this: I always found it unfortunate that Lucas ended up making Luke & Leia siblings, thus, making that "other"-retroactively perhaps, 'cause I don't the history well enough (ie: when Lucas made that sibling decision)- to whom Yoda refers to in ESB Leia. Thus, obviously, duh, Leia will have an Episode VII role. There's no way that JJ does an alternate history/timeline deal with Episode VII as what was done with this Trek reboot.

16. Odolwa

Odolwa Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 12, 2013
    [​IMG]

17. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Force Ghost Obi-Wan: "That boy is our last hope"
    Master Yoda: "No, there is another..."
    Force Ghost Obi-Wan: "What'chu talkin' 'bout, Yoda?!"

18. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Well Luke didn't have that much training (nothing that couldn't be replicated), but I guess we are supposed to assume that Leia has/had the same untapped potential.

19. Kraven Head

Kraven Head Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    Am going to appologize to all the women on this board ahead of time but I sincerely doubt a woman could've defeated Vader.

20. Bullhead CIty

Bullhead CIty Jedi Master star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    To the OP-

Personally, I like the idea that Princess Leia Organa is not Leia "Skywalker". There are many reasons a case could be built for this theory. Obi allowed Luke to believe she was his sister (Luke gushed it, Obi Wan did not tell him) as to keep his true twin safely anonymous should Luke fail. Based upon both Ben and Yoda's dealings with Luke, this is not as far fetched as it might seem. I agree Lucas had the idea of Luke having a sister on the other side of the galaxy that he didn't catch up with her till the ST. But, Lucas did tie the knot on that plot line and regrettably, we have to accept that based on film canon. Yet another missed opportunity...

21. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Ben keeping the truth about Vader is one thing, but letting Luke believe Leia is his sister if she wasn't? What's the point? Why would he mess with Luke's head like like that? Sounds just weird and pointless, plot tie or not.

22. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    summon the "justice star".

23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    He looks fabulous.

24. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    For all we know, when Yoda says "no, there is another" to Ben, he could have been talking about someone completely different from when he said to Luke "there is another Skywalker". Therefore, Ben knew about the other Skywalker but not the "other" Yoda referred to in ESB.

That, or Ben never considered Leia to be of any significance to the Jedi order because she didn't show any indications of being Force sensitive. So, Yoda could have meant "remember, he has a twin-if he fails, there's always Leia to fall back on".

I'd say the latter of more likely of a way to include that aspect. But it can easily be transformed to the ST with Leia's daughter.

25. Kraven Head

Kraven Head Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    If anything, am expecting a good twist in the ST and "no, there is another" excluding the Skywalkers is in my top 3.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.