main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Could the "Other" Yoda spoke of still play a part in the ST?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Primetime_Jedi, Jul 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aiden Skywalker

Aiden Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 7, 2014
    What I don't understand(and yes I acknowledge that this occurs pre-ROTJ when it had not been decided that leia is a Skywalker) is the fact that Yoda tells luke he must sacrifice Han and Leia. It is when luke is taking off that Yoda tells obi-wan that there is another. BUT HE'S TELLING LUKE NOT TO GO SAVE HER. There won't be another if Luke stays, so essentially Yoda is risking losing his plan A and plan B by letting Luke go to cloud city.

2. Count Zero

Count Zero Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2014
    Yoda says that after Luke takes off.

3. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    Well, Lando would've still helped Leia and Chewie even if Luke didn't show up... But without R2 tagging along, they wouldn't have known the hyperdrive was deactivated until perhaps too late, and may not have been able to reactivate it until it was too late.

Then again, something else may have happened, and they might have escaped after all... Or been captured, but maybe Vader would've suddenly realized Leia was Padme's daughter and turned back to the good side early or something. Hard to say... Always in motion, is the future.

starocean90 and jabberwalkie like this.
  4. Count Zero

Count Zero Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2014
    "The other Yoda spoke of is your twin sister" Can it get more obvious than that?

5. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    It can indeed, when you consider that, according to the Making of Empire book, it's clear from Lucas' own lips that the Other was ALWAYS meant to be Luke's twin sister. That was decided as early as the early story meetings for Empire. The only thing that was not then decided was that the unnamed twin sister would be Leia.

6. Turinsd00m

Turinsd00m Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2014
    It does seem weird that Yoda would say "no, there is another" after Ben said "that boy is our last hope", since Ben obviously knew Anakin had two children, but Ben had 20 years invested in babysitting Luke- and he died to help save him- so I can see why he would think Luke the more probable savior. To me that conversation was more about Ben doubting Leia could be used as a back-up and Yoda disagreeing with him.
    To take that conversation and use it as a stepping stone to have another hidden Jedi after the conversations in RotJ would be way too far of a stretch for me, personally.

7. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    True. There were fan theories that Yoda spirited the twins away, and hid even Leia from Obi-Wan (until finally telling him off-screen either after the "there is another" line, or at some other point between ESB & ROTJ), considering Luke felt Dagobah was familiar... a lot of people thought Luke must have been there as a baby or toddler, when really it was more likely dreams or feeling some vague connection in the Force, perhaps from feeling--but not understanding--Yoda's "eyes" on him over the years.

ROTJ aside, Luke having a twin Obi-Wan didn't know about might be understandable depending on the circumstances of how and when Luke & Obi-Wan each arrive on Tatooine, but if Yoda had sent the sister across the galaxy to be trained by his own twin, Yota (totally different pronunciation you guys! And he wears a beige inner robe & brown outer robe! And lives on a world of plains instead of swamps!), then maybe Obi-Wan wouldn't have known about her until Yoda made that announcement.

That story could've been interesting... Luke eventually meets up with the sister and she's much more competent than he is, having trained for years as opposed to his week or two. But that's all in the past now; Leia's the other.

8. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    The "other" was obviously Leia. Yoda was just reminding Obi-Wan that they had a "back up" plan in Leia.

However, Leia's involvement only seemed to act as a vehicle for Luke's anger against his father in the final duel, bringing out the rage that the Emperor wanted to see to lure him into the dark side. It was more as bait than being a true other hope.

However, we can still see the "other" as important. Not only will Leia have a role, but if Rey is her daughter, that will complete Yoda's idea of being the other because she was responsible for bringing the new chosen one into the mix.

9. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    Let's face facts, Yoda was talking out of his ass. There is no Other and the GFFA dodged a bullet when Anakin redeemed himself and killed Palpatine.

10. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Watch there not be a lot on the force in this movie that would make me laugh.

11. Winston_Sith

Winston_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 8, 2004
    There could still be "an other."

Bail Organa Force Ghost/holocron/gram whatever: "Ummm... You guys remember tthat baby girl, Leia? Anakin and Padme's twin daughter...? How's Luke doing, by the way? The one you guys gave me to raise until the time was right? Well, we lost her at the market one day and had to get an other one so you guys wouldn't get all PO'd about it... Sorry. Really, we're terribly sorry. Maybe the real Leia will turn up some day?"

12. kip73

kip73 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2003
    Pretty much the end of the discussion right there. Obi-Wan was explicitly clear about that. The "other" or "another Skywalker" is, and always has been, Leia... at least by the time ROTJ was conceived and Lucas had made up his mind on how the story would pan out.

It always seemed to me, though, that Obi-Wan and Yoda were pretty confident that Luke would work out and do the right thing when push came to shove. I think contacting and training Leia was a last resort scenario to them.

13. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Since the "other" Yoda spoke of is Leia, and Leia is confirmed to be in TFA, she definitely plays a part in the ST.

14. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004

^This.

-C

15. DantooineOrBust

DantooineOrBust Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 2, 2014
    When I first read the subject line I thought they were referring to 'the other Yoda' --Yaddle!

CGI-BOBAFENT likes this.
  16. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014

Ha! That's before the sequel trilogy was announced. That opens it up again.

17. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    since the other Yoda spoke of was supposed to be the Main character in the ST (as well as Luke's sister) back in the day and Leia ended up being that character, maybe to make up for not having that the sister (Leia) as lead we get her daughter instead.[face_dunno];)

plaidphoenix and nightangel like this.
  18. CGI-BOBAFENT

CGI-BOBAFENT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002

You win sir! Can we get a thread rename

"The "Other" Yoda : Yaddle in the sequel trilogy"

DarthLightlyBruise and T-R- like this.
  19. darth-calvin

darth-calvin Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 10, 2002
    Remember that Luke is the one that thinks they are going to die - not Yoda. For all we know, Yoda thinks Leia is going to be just fine. She was literally in Vader's hands once before and survived.

20. Bullhead CIty

Bullhead CIty Jedi Master star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    There was once a rumor (toward the end of ROTS-era) that there were no more Force sensitive persons born after the Force shifted to the Darkside; and Luke Leia were literally the last hope(s). (It was just a rumor folks...)

Now we are seeing story lines of "Children of the Force" that are being hunted down, and the supposed plot of this new movie being that the Force wants to be used and is arousing itself in others. This all suggests that the Force has wanted to be balanced for a while - before Anakin's conception (if you believe he was created for this). So, if the Force is seeding the galaxy with strong individuals post-ROTS, it is very possible there was another potential candidate(s) out there somewhere.

Chosen One does not = Invincibility.

Plan B may have been just been a longer process. In fact, there needs to have been another out there to not make Yoda look like he punk'd out of a fight with Vader and the Emperor.

Yoda: "...only a fully trained JEDI... can conquer Vader and his Emperor..."

21. hartman89

hartman89 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 29, 2014
    Yes, I think Leia WILL play a part in the ST. Am I missing something?

Toonimator, T-R- and GMGalenMarek like this.
  22. GoJohnnyGo

GoJohnnyGo Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 19, 2012
    I always thought Leah being the other was an assumption.... was it ever confirmed

23. DarthSheev

DarthSheev Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 9, 2015
    I never really liked the idea of Leia being the "other". ROTJ had to tie up a lot of loose ends and so that was the easiest thing to do regarding Yoda's quote. If I believe, Luke was supposed to have a long lost sister on some other backward planet at the other end of the galaxy, and she was going to play an important role in the original vision of the ST, which obviously never panned out. I think it would've been better is Leia wasn't Luke's sister, but hey what can you do. It's not like ROTJ really could have developed the relationship between them that much. I feel that Leia really didn't do much in ROTJ, much like Padme in ROTS. Maybe we can see more of their relationship in the ST, however. I kind of like the mysteriousness of the way Yoda says "there is another", and having it simply be Leia sort of took away from that.

24. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I would love if it turned out Yoda was referring to someone other than Leia, and Obi-Wan simply assumed he was talking about her. It would explain the mysterious way Yoda speaks of the other (as opposed to cryptically referring to someone Obi-Wan literally delivered and is well aware of the existence of), and allows for some interesting opportunities moving forward.

25. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    problem with Leia being the other is simply the whole Yoda/Kenobi didn't want Luke to go rescue his friends and that there is another that can do what Luke can basically as substitute, so how does that work if the potential replacement is one of the people Luke wanted to rescue in the first place?:)

still say that after Yoda says there is another.....out of nowhere pops Ezra.[face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.