main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Could the "Other" Yoda spoke of still play a part in the ST?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Primetime_Jedi, Jul 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    Yoda's full line was actually:

"No. There is another. Named Maz Kanata."

2. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

It isn't like Obi-Wan forgot about Leia. He was simply stating that as far as he was concerned Luke was the only one who could face Vader and the Emperor, because they had put the effort into Luke and know there was no way to train her (Kenobi was dead and Yoda not far behind).

Yoda's response was simply that there was still hope in Leia - that as long as she was alive and free they'd find a way.

3. -LordSkywalker-

-LordSkywalker- Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    I argued this recently in the new canon thread. Ben says Luke is their only hope (in universe that is). Makes no sense since he knows about Leia already. But Luke only asks about it after Yoda had said there is another "Skywalker". They could still be two different people. I'm not saying they should but if TPTB want it they can justify somewhat.

starocean90 likes this.
  4. Luminous Beings Are We

Luminous Beings Are We Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2014
    Ben Kenobi shouldn't have known about Leia's true identity until Episode V. Yoda should've been there at the birth instead. He could've then taken baby Luke to Dagobah in secret to hand off to Ben after he defeated Darth Vader on Mustafar.

5. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    cough Ezra cough.:p

-LordSkywalker- likes this.
  6. deneuves

deneuves Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    The biggest problem is in ESB Luke asks Yoda if he should just let Han and Leia die and Yoda's like "yep". If that's your other last hope, he's being pretty nonchalant about it or doesn't seem to care about her much.

Yanksfan, Dewback, Dak Oolron and 3 others like this.
  7. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    that's exactly what I said yesterday, great minds think alike.;)
    if she's your substitute for Luke than why mention another if she's one of the people Luke wants to go rescue but Yoda/Kenobi don't want him to.To me that's the No #1 and actually only inconstancy of the 6 movies.:p

8. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005

His point is not so much that Luke should let them die, but that he will not necessarily affect the outcome by going to their rescue. Which is correct.

9. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    well he did affect the outcome by going to rescue them otherwise how would Leia and the others escape if R2 didn't go or how Luke distracted Vader while they escaped, their escape would have been extremely unlikely if neither Luke nor R2 showed up.:)

10. deneuves

deneuves Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    It basically says Yoda was more concerned about Luke finishing his training than the actual life of their backup.

starocean90 likes this.
  11. kip73

kip73 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2003
    Obi-Wan was there when they were born, and knew there were twins.

In Episode V Leia was not Luke's sister. Lucas changed that before VI. So what the OP said was true, from a certain point of view :D

12. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    Isn't there already a thread about what would make you so mad you would walk out of the theater?

Granek and Dak Oolron like this.
  13. Solo-Skywalker

Solo-Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2014

Completely agree in this context:

He does not say "yep" Obi-Wan mentions "even he cannot see there fate"; It is quite possible Yoda and Obi-Wan trying to convince Luke to stay was to try and protect Luke from a possible turn to the darkside & to save Leia's life as well (and the others as well) - Luke is thought of by this time as the "New Hope" the one to bring balance to the force, it's a major gamble by Luke leaving (which I hope he would always do if they were in grave danger!) but it was a major gamble that the fate of the galaxy was literally in the balance when he dueled with Vader on Bespin.

Yoda's exact conversation with Luke

[Yoda tries to convince Luke not to leave]
    Yoda: You must not go!
    Luke: But Han and Leia will die if I don't.
    [Obi-Wan's Force-spirit suddenly appears]
    Obi-Wan: You don't know that. Even Yoda cannot see their fate.
    Luke: But I can help them! I feel the Force!
    Obi-Wan: But you cannot control it. This is a dangerous time for you, when you will be tempted by the Dark Side of the Force.

[as Luke leaves before completing his training]
    Yoda: Told you I did. Reckless is he. Now, matters are worse.
    Obi-Wan: That boy is our last hope.
    Yoda: No. There is another.

14. LunarMoth

Nov 27, 2012
    Yoda is just telling Luke to trust them.

15. Luminous Beings Are We

Luminous Beings Are We Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2014
    I know Ben was there with Padme. I was trying to create a scenario that was more consistent with the OT's story.

kip73 likes this.
  16. Bullhead CIty

Bullhead CIty Jedi Master star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    A possible scenario is that Leia Organa is not Leia Skywalker we saw come out of Padme's tummy.

One might even believe Obi Wan alludes to this when he tells Luke, "The Emperor knew as well as I, if Anakin were to have any offspring they would be a threat to him.... that's why your sister remains safely anonymous." Luke guesses Leia Organa, Ben (who at this point has a solid reputation for weaving half truths) allows Luke to believe this assumed fact. Why? So that his REAL BIOLOGICAL SISTER'S IDENTITY WOULD REMAIN SAFELY ANONYMOUS in the event Luke was turned or opened his big mouth / heart.

If the stakes were truly as high as they seemed; it would be out of character for Obi Wan or Yoda to show their hand to Luke. If the Emperor turned Luke, it's really all over. Vader read Luke's emotions and saw he cared for Leia, which he did, but Vader was even surprised by the idea that Leia Organa was his kid.

What's the precedent for this theory?

Padme herself used body double hand maidens her whole career -until she had two in the oven. It's not out of character for their to be a switch.

Something like this is what would keep this series fresh moving forward. Because if a previously unknown Skywalker was introduced to the audience, we are now in uncharted waters and anything goes at that point.

17. LunarMoth

Nov 27, 2012
    No way. Vader knowing there was a sister at all would have given her away.

18. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    "That boy is our last hope."
    "No. There is another."

...and later, in ROTJ.
    "Then the Emperor has already won. You were our only hope."
    "Yoda spoke of another." (note: NOT "another Skywalker")
    "The other he spoke of is your twin sister."
    "But I have no sister."

So the only possibilities are that everyone's talking about Leia, or Yoda's been keeping secrets from Obi-Wan, even after Obi-Wan became a ghost, and the one he referred to with Ben in ESB is not Leia, whom he told Luke about in ROTJ.

Bullhead CIty likes this.
  19. -LordSkywalker-

-LordSkywalker- Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    Yes convoluted for sure but doable if TPTB want an "Other" different from Leia. As people pointed out a few posts ago is that Luke is going to save Leia yet Yoda says don't go but then says there is another. If Leia is the other her death would mean there is no "Other". This is the problem with retcon they are not totally clean and then you retcon the retcon in ROTS.

Again not saying there should be a different "Other" just that there could be.

Bullhead CIty and starocean90 like this.
  20. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    "You don't know that." -Obi-Wan.

Leia, Chewie, & Lando may have been captured by the Empire anyway, but maybe not. "Always in motion is the future." And if Luke hadn't gone, he may have completed his training as Yoda wished and been ready to face Vader & the Emperor in another way, and the need for an "other" would have vanished.

21. Bullhead CIty

Bullhead CIty Jedi Master star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    ?????

Vader croaked minutes after this discovery. The Emperor before him. Dead men tell no tales....

22. Granek

Granek Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2012
    you also have to consider GL simply FUBARD this part

jabberwalkie likes this.
  23. dlbates

dlbates Jedi Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    It was Leia. They were building up the Anticipation for the audience prior to revealing Luke and Leia being brother and sister.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  24. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005

So he's a courier and a distraction. Not a Jedi.

25. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    and Luke was exactly the same thing in VI a distraction to Vader/Palps and he was a Jedi.
    you make it seem like no Jedi ever was a distraction, a Jedi is supposed to be selfless which Luke was in all 3 OT movies.

LunarMoth and thejeditraitor like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.