main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Could the Resistance and First Order Unite aganst a Greater threat ?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by PadawanGussin, Mar 12, 2018.

1. PadawanGussin

PadawanGussin Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 6, 2017
    Ok so the may be nutty but -

It has been confirmed that Snoke does in fact have a back story as yet unrevealed

There are some hints in the TLJ novel that Snoke is the apprentice and not the Master. He describes himself more as a tool being used to achieve a smaller portion of a larger plan. {a fulcrum } He musses about learning he was Force sensitive as a young child and learning the Dark side of the Force, implying a Teacher. He is very focused on building the New Order as well as Luke and Rey but speaks of nothing else. He seemed to be aware of everything around him and was very powerful in the Force so it begs the question, did he allow Kylo to kill him as a willing pawn of a greater scheme ?

there is a video about this on youtube by Star Wars Theory the helped this to gel in my head but I am going to take it a bit further.

If an extremely ancient and powerful Dark Side entity lives in the unknown regions, one described by Palpitine as an origin of the Force itself in the Aftermath novels , could its intent be so hideous as to give the N O and the Rebels no choice but to work together ? Perhaps a Being who would literally pull the Force energy out of every being in the galaxy and leave the entire galaxy dead?

Just a thought

2. CowMoo

CowMoo Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2001
    That would be an interesting twist, but I don't see any indication of this in the movies so far. I haven't read the novels, but if there is some other threat out there, there would be only the third movie to reveal that other "phantom menace" and a way to deal with it.

More than likely, I think the final film would deal more with Kylo Ren and his further journey to the dark side. I was somewhat surprised too that Kylo was able defeat Snoke so quickly, but it is possible that Kylo is more in tune with the Force than Snoke was. Of course, Snoke may have found a way to become a Force Ghost of sorts, similar to Obi Wan and Yoda, so it is possible that Snoke is not totally dead anyway.

3. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    That'd certainly be interesting and unique, but it's hard to see it happening. Unless that threat is an evil Hux/Not dead Snoke, there's not enough there to build towards. So nah. Probably not.

4. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Moved the thread from ST to Episode IX - Spoilers Allowed.

5. Mandalorian Riddler

Mandalorian Riddler Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2018
    I only think Hux would dip away to help at the moment. Other than that I don't think they'll join forces.

6. Gorelab

Gorelab Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 4, 2016
    I honestly feel like siding with the First Order would be pretty terrible. Like the Empire before them they are very slightly veiled space nazis.

Cantina Regular, Paparazzo and Rhyoth like this.
  7. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I really can't see that at all, and it doesn't really fit to what we have seen so far either.

You don't spend two movies building up a fight between the resistance and the First Order, including the deaths of Han Solo and Luke Skywalker, only to go "oh by the way, none of that was all that important, here's the true villain that we never lost a word about before". This is 2/3s through the story, the last movie is already needed to finish what was started, there is no room for something else that wasn't even hinted at before. Not to mention the shift of moving the First Order from mass-murdering psychopaths to sorta being the good guys would be a radical break that couldn't be properly explained.

Snoke sacrificing himself doesn't really fit at all. There really wouldn't be anything he would have accomplished with that, and it doesn't fit to what can be seen in the movie.

The absolute most I could see, is that IX would hint at there being a further threat somewhere out there, and Ben Solo, after having realized his own flaws, gives up on the First Order, exiles himself, and tries to find out what this new threat is all about. But that would be more of a toss-in to establish a possible future story-line, not something that IX itself deals with. And even all that is more of a very remote chance of ever being considered, and not something I would ever consider to be particularly likely.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  8. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    The leadership is slightly veiled space nazis. The troopers are kidnapped children. If Finn could help break through the brainwashing, an uprising of troopers against the first order command would be awesome.

PadawanGussin likes this.
  9. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I don't know, those who are indoctrinated from a young age are usually the most fanatic about the ideals.

One shouldn't exactly pretend that all the troopers are just brainwashed people who where forced into the FO either. That would assume that there weren't tons of troops that were extremely loyal to the Empire. "Taking young kids" also doesn't necessarily imply that you kidnap them all. It could just as well mean that you raise the people in your territory along the lines of your order, indoctrinating everyone into believing your cause, and making them willingly fighting for it.

If you look at that deleted scene, it's not like the soldiers actually turn on Phasma. At best they are unsure about what is happening there. And what makes them unsure is not being misled into fighting for something they don't believe in, but one of their superiors potentially giving up the defenses of Starkiller Base under threat. If they had acted against Phasma, they would have done so because Phasma let down the First Order, not because the troopers suddenly thought the First Order was wrong. Going from there to an uprising against the First Order is quite a large step. Doable, but not something you could achieve quickly.

Seeher likes this.
  10. Bullhead CIty

Bullhead CIty Jedi Master star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    The Force apparently needs balancing. The galaxy needs unity. Uniting against an incredibly large threat would do the trick in a 2 hour movie. Real world example might be Russia signing a non-aggression pact with Germany. Then later joining the Allies against the Axis powers.

11. sls062286

sls062286 Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2016
    Well there's an alternate history novel about that exact thing happening because of an alien invasion. However, that doesn't change how terrible the Nazis were and the First Order is still a bunch of murders who need to be brought down after whatever threat is stopped. Itd be a temporary thing. Unless you think the first order is going to suddenly stop killing people, stealing babies and taking over by force.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  12. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    Snoke's master, Lord Ren, is still lurking in the Unknown Regions.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    Bullhead CIty likes this.
  13. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    The Chiss turn on their catspaw assuming control of the Galaxy as the people who stopped the First Order.
    All a ruse supported by extensive networks of Anti-Human Activists the true reason why noone supported Leia or answered her call for aid.
    The First Order is being annihilated only the surviving Resistance suspects the truth!

14. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    Wouldn't it be confusing to average moviegoers if Snoke's master is called Lord Ren?

15. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Is that a fitting comparison though?
    The Soviet Union never attacked the Allies. It merely stayed neutral in the big war, supplied Germany with some resources, and illegally swallowed up some eastern European nations while everyone was focusing elsewhere. It "joined" the allies because it was attacked by the Nazis, and because the Allies didn't care about who they were dealing with, as long as he was against the Axis.
    A far more fitting comparison would be if the Soviet Union had attacked the Allies and the Nazis when those two were at war already, with the Allies and Nazis joining up to defeat the Soviet Union. That's not really something that is all that logical.

And seeing how this enemy would come completely out of the blue, it would make no sense at all. The very least it would have needed - apart from not having such a clear good vs. evil approach as the ST has - are hints of such an enemy being out there. As it stands right now, adding an outside threat would be a jaring change of direction that doesn't fit to anything of what has happened so far.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  16. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Why, instead of having another rebels vs. baddies, an independence day esque invasion could be quite fresh

17. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    That is not the point. What you are saying has nothing to do with what I was writing.

You don't spend two out of three movies on one story-line and then randomly jump to something entirely different that wasn't even hinted at before. It's like suggesting that ROTJ should have been about an alien invasion that the Empire & Rebels had to unite against to overcome, it wouldn't have fit to the story at all. You might as well have Return of the King being about something different than destroying the ring and ending Sauron, or the last Harry Potter not being about Harry vs. Voldemort.

18. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Ok. You meant Ep IX and not the topic as such. True.
    I guess if that would have happened this forum would not exist [face_laugh]

19. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    Probably.

20. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    So with the confirmation of Sith troopers and possibly the Emperor in some capacity, there very well could be a uniting to fight a larger enemy. Take Kylos take from TLJ about it being time for the Sith to die.
    I would be okay if at the beginning the FO or Resistance is defeated and then the new enemy is revealed. I just don't want the Emperor in the flesh. I want ROTJ and Vaders redemption to stand tall. I do believe Snoke was just a vehicle for the Emperor to use to communicate to Kylo.