main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Could this be the event where we get THE announcement?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by DarthBreezy, Mar 21, 2013.

1. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Entertainment Weekly’s CapeTown Film Festival

From the article:

On May the Fourth, now celebrated far and wide as
    Star Wars Day

Entertainment Weekly’s CapeTown Film Festival

will bring the greatest deep-space saga of them all back to the big screen for a special one-day event: a 30
    th
    anniversary revival of
    Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi
    that takes the classic back to the site of its May 1983 world premiere, the historic Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood.
    BUT what caught my litte eye was this....

We’ve scheduled four Jedi screenings (10 a.m., 2 p.m., 6 p.m., 10p.m.) on May the Fourth as well as special appearances by some famous faces and beloved characters from the Jedi universe. The anniversary and location add a special sparkle to the day, but the event is also energized with the intrigue of the future with a new planned Star Wars, which will, for the first time on screen, take the tale chronologically beyond the fiery funeral of Darth Vader, one of the most iconic villains in the history of Hollywood popcorn.
    [face_thinking]
    I know it's EW's 'Event', and for all we know the 'beloved characters' will be a few guys in the full body suits thay don't have to actually SAY anything (Ie Vader and Storm Troopers) but EW has some 'Hollywood Cred' and just might be the venue that Disney drops the bomb o us....

2. Padme501st

Padme501st Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2006
    I wish my town would do something cool for May the Fourth

JainaSoloYJK likes this.
  3. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    ^ This. :(

On topic, I don't know if that would be the event for the big 'whoop-de-do'. They could easily just call out members of the 501st and Rebel Legion for characters and have Bob Iger/Kathleen Kennedy/JJ Abrams continue to dodge questions about the sequels, only give some very vague hints about the plotline.

Honestly I'm expecting the hoopla to be at Star Wars Weekends or a major convention.

Padme501st likes this.
  4. J_Girl

J_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2001
    Well, it does sound like pretty good possibility. The only thing I am wondering is where is Disney's mouse prints on this? Knowing them, they have been known to like it supercalifragilisticexpialidocious. Still I could see it happening there. Definitely the right day for it.

5. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    I guess part of it hinges on who owns the rights to the OT- Fox or Disney? In any case, its an interesting 'event' and I wouldn't be surprised if the 'beloved characters' were members of the 501st - All they say as far as 'guest' are concerned is that they will be 'special' - no names mentioned at all so as far as we know, t could be 'Darth Vader' et all - but still, it's better than the millionth garbage news/lack there of discussions we've had for a bit - It's a legitimate "Star Wars" event put on by a big company...

J_Girl and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  6. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    At this point, I would take any news....

7. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    It would definitely be awesome if it was. 30th anniversary of ROTJ event and the return of Mark, Carrie and Harrison announcement! That would be pretty special to me. I like it, I like alot. =D=

Padme501st and Krueger like this.
  8. J_Girl

Feb 18, 2001
    That is an interesting point: who does own the OT? I know GL was always about retaining creative control over his work, but now....? Does Disney own the rights to just the new stuff from here on out or everything that has come before as well?

9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    They'll make an announcement when we least expect it...

Like right now.

10. Han Yolo

Han Yolo Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 7, 2013
    I bet it will be on a late night talk show or awards show or something similar. Example: Anchorman

This would have a huge audience and a big wow factor. Im sorry to say but they would not announce it at an event attended and known primarily only to hardcore SW fans.

Comicon is also a big possiblity.

11. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Yea, I'm betting this is the "big three" announcement + Lando, I imagine.

12. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Disney owns the rights to the creative property like GL did but 20th Century Fox has the distribution rights to Episodes I-III and V-VI until 2020 and ANH forever unless a deal is made between them and Disney.

DarthBreezy and J_Girl like this.
  13. J_Girl

Feb 18, 2001
    Thanks! That clears it up. :)

DarthBreezy and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  14. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    I believe they will always also partially own ESB as well, again, unless a deal was made with Disney.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  15. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Well it makes sense to announce the big 3's return then what better time that the 30th anniversary of ROTJ......

16. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Hmm...I'm not really sure what to think. I automatically thought of the 501st and Rebel Legions making an appearance when it said 'famous faces.' You can bet they'll be there for sure. As for anyone else, when they did something similar for ESB a couple years ago, they announced Harrison's appearance several weeks in advance. So, not really sure what's going to happen. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  17. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003
    This is certainly a plausible venue for the announcement. However, I cannot say that I am on the edge of my seat. Like many on this board, I have already assumed that the Big 3 would make an appearance in the ST.

18. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    "Deep space saga" [face_plain]

19. bluemilkcheesypuffs77

bluemilkcheesypuffs77 Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    Isn't "celebration" happening soon? Pretty sure Ian mcdiarmid is headlining it. They might make the announcement then? Maybe even announce that Ian is returning as a clone emperor!!! Dark empire trilogy!!!

20. KudosDas

KudosDas Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2005
    I'd have to agree that we're more likely to see larger type announcements come out at CEII. We might get teased at this event, but given tight lipped Abrams was with Trek, and Bob Iger's statements about not wanting to flood the world with Star Wars right off the bat, I'm thinking it's going to be a lot of dead air on the news front for a while yet. Also, most of the world assumes the Big 3 are already so I think the surprise will be if they're NOT in Ep VII, and I doubt that the kind of big announcement that Disney wants to make, especially given that we already know that talks have been underway for some time now.

Still, since the last few announcements haven't been so stellar, it would be nice if they could throw us a nice bone to chew on for a while sooner rather than later.

21. J_Girl

Feb 18, 2001
    I don't know, CEII is July 26th-28th. That is pretty far off. I think we are looking at a May 4th or ROTJ 30th release date.

22. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    Time to plug in Peter Mayhew's motor chair and thaw out David Prowse.

23. SnakeWesker

SnakeWesker Jedi Master star 1

Apr 21, 2006
    Prowse will be at a convention near me (Monroeville, PA) in a couple weeks. I'll kidnap him!

24. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    _ _ _ _

This is an excerpt from an article about the acquistion of Lucasfilm by Disney:

"But Fox owns distribution rights to the original Star Wars, No. 4 in the series, in perpetuity in all media worldwide. And as for the five subsequent movies, Fox has theatrical, nontheatrical and home video rights worldwide through May 2020."

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

So, unless egotiates to acquire the rights from Fox, will never own ANH. I'm assuming that for ESB and RoTJ, the theatrical, non-theatrical and home video rights will revert to Lucasfilm and, thus, Disney, after 2020.

25. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Celebration Europe 2 could also be a big announcement time, depending on what has or has not be announced by July.