main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Could this trilogy end with a "dark side victory"?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by MrElculver2424, Jan 3, 2017.

1. MrElculver2424

MrElculver2424 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2014
    This is something I think a lot about because, to keep it short, I'm just not a huge fan of the Jedi/Republic/Rebel Alliance/Resistance. Of course I love Luke and Obi-Wan, but beyond that, the Jedi in the prequels were arrogant and closed-minded and failed big time, the Republic was corrupted and did nothing to advance society, and the Rebel Alliance had arrogant leadership itself.

The prequel trilogy ended with the dark side being victorious, but that's because it had to tie into the original trilogy. If there aren't going to be any more Star Wars films planned after Episode IX, is it even possible then for it to end with a dark side victory? I really wish it was, but I don't think that's something they'd ever do since most people do view the dark side/Sith/Empire/First Order as the "villains."

What do you think?

2. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    I hope not. [face_sigh]

3. Tommytom

Tommytom Jedi Master star 1

Apr 25, 2015
    No way. The Sith, the Empire, and the First Order are the villains. You may have a few good cookies or brainwashed servants in there, but as organizations as a whole, they are pretty terrible. On the point of the original question posed, however, no, I do not believe that the sequel trilogy will end on a dark note. There will be a resolution. It may not be very satisfying otherwise.

4. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    I think the very dark ending happened indeed already between ROTJ and TFA with the destruction of Luke's academy and the FO taking over as the climax. From now on it should go into a more positive direction. ;)

5. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Bingo. Luke is already at a low ebb. We witness the birth of the Jedi Academy and Luke's increased optimism on screen now. I think it's going to be really spiritually uplifting.

6. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    no way the dark side wins, we had that over all in the last trilogy. This one will end in victory

7. Ewan Tibbetts

Ewan Tibbetts Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 13, 2016
    We don't know the new canon's definition of balance in the force but we do know it's important. Perhaps grey jedi will be the favored ideology by the end of the trilogy.

Kara Starbuck likes this.
  8. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    No, I don't see it happening. We got a "dark ending" at the end of the last trilogy, and we also had Luke and co start TFA at a low ebb. So I don't seem them having the villains win again in the end, it makes no sense.

9. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    I personally wouldn't mind it. As long as we get an Ep X then!

MillenniumFalcon2015 likes this.
  10. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    In one word....NO!!!

11. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
  12. BlurryUFOs

BlurryUFOs Jedi Master star 3

Sep 24, 2016
    no.

a grey jedi isn't going to be the 'nobler/better than men (as per aristotle)' hero that the galaxy needs.

and im really not appreciating this popular pushing of sw towards some angsty mess

evil winning does not inherintly make the story more interesting. if you think about it logically, the FO should win. good triumphing over evil despite impossible odds is always appealing.
    also, i like our heroes finn and rey and i want them to live&be successful

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

13. Ewan Tibbetts

Nov 13, 2016
    Star Wars is about a galaxy doomed to experience eternal war between good and evil. Wouldn't it be cool if before the saga films end our heroes rise above that? I'm not suggesting wars stop happening in Star Wars but I do think the end of the saga should be a bit more meaningful than "the good guys won this time".

14. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2016
    Nah not again........

Master of None likes this.
  15. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Could it? Yes. Will it? No way in hell

Master of None and B99 like this.
  16. Lord Nikon

Lord Nikon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 2, 2012

This is a super broad, and untrue statement. Elements of the Jedi Order and elements of the Republic were misguided, arrogant, and corrupt...but they as a whole just needed a few course corrections...they weren't irredeemable.

And no, Disney would never ever ever ever end the new trilogy with the villains winning. In fact, I can't list a closed story trilogy narrative in pop-culutre in which this actually happened.

Shaak Ti and BlurryUFOs like this.
  17. Storm_Cloud

Storm_Cloud Jedi Master star 3

Jan 13, 2016
    Could it end in IX with a dark side victory? Yes, it could. Opinion seems to be that it shouldn't looking at a few posts on here.

What leans me towards thinking that it could work is that we won't be waiting long for the next trilogy. What will the gap be? Three years? Then it's more of a continuing saga rather than sets of trilogies. Five years? Seven? If it ends darkly then there isn't going to be a massive gap until the next trilogy. The good side winning every three films could get a little tiring by XV.

18. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    PT = End of last age: Corrupt Republic and corrupted Jedi Order fall and give rise to the Empire - Bad Guys win.
    OT = The Dark Times: Corrupt Empire is nearly unstoppable. Good guys score victory and show they can be redeemed.
    ST = Beginning of new age: Good guys finally truly win, civil war ends, and a true non-corrupt Republic and New Jedi order are finally built.

Twain, DBPirate, 11-4D and 2 others like this.
  19. Ewan Tibbetts

Nov 13, 2016
    Post ST: It all falls down again. And rises again. And falls etc etc...

km31 likes this.
  20. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I think the amazing success of Rogue One will take the future films away from the Saga. They might make duologies or trilogies or other Saga's in different time frames, but I think they will close the Skywalker Saga with IX. They have so much freedom I don't think that they will tie themselves to George's Saga moving forward.

21. MrElculver2424

May 11, 2014

It has already been stated by the actors that Episode VIII will be "darker" than The Force Awakens...so looks like you won't get what you want, and I will. ;)

22. MrElculver2424

May 11, 2014

I'm not looking at this the same way you are.

1-6 was a complete story, all tied together, and it ended with a light side/Jedi/Republic victory in ROTJ.
    A complete Star Wars story hasn't yet been told where the villains win...and I don't expect this will ever occur, because as we've said, they can't make the bad guys win in the end.

23. MrElculver2424

May 11, 2014

Again? It hasn't yet happened. Episodes 1-6 were a complete story, and that story ended with the light side winning.

7-9 appears to be another story, and it will likely again end with a light side victory. BORING!

I like the "grey jedi" suggestions...something "above" the recycled good vs. bad.

24. MrElculver2424

May 11, 2014

I agree this is very likely the way it will go.

25. Master of None

Master of None Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    I vote no

In Star Wars good will ALWAYS prevail. Always

VIII is rumored to " be dark", that could have several meanings. IF the saga is to end, then IX will have a happy ending.