main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Could this trilogy end with a "dark side victory"?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by MrElculver2424, Jan 3, 2017.

1. IG Lancer

IG Lancer Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 8, 2015
    The guy who became the Populist leader after it was revealed that Vader was Leia's father and she had to leave politics told her openly that the only reason he wanted to be chancellor was to sabotage the central government of the New Republic and make it as weak and ineffective as possible. That guy wasn't a villain or an agent of the FO, he just didn't want a galactic government....

To quote Brave New World's character Mustapha Mond:

"...nobility or heroism. These things are symptoms of political inefficiency.... Conditions have got to be thoroughly unstable before the occasion can arise. Where there are wars, where there are divided allegiances, where there are temptations to be resisted, objects of love to be fought for or defended—there, obviously, nobility and heroism have some sense."

Of course, Mustapha Mond defended a totalitarian government that controlled every aspect of human life, but he wasn't completely wrong in that a happy, prosperous, peaceful society with an efficient, benevolent government wouldn't need heroes at all...

So yes, unless the next director and writer pursue a different plot, Star Wars kinda requires the government of the Republic to fail every time.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  2. IG Lancer

IG Lancer Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 8, 2015
    Well, since the mods seem to have removed the picture...

Tan-Wessel likes this.
  3. Keycube

Keycube Jedi Master star 2

Jan 19, 2009
    Since there's another splinter trilogy coming, a dark side victory would be a perfect segue into providing a smidge of linkage and a "reason" for a new story that wouldn't necessarily have to begin with totally foreign concepts.

I can see it now; IX mirroring ROTJ, with those little kids serving as "human ewoks"...only this time, they are slaughtered, the FO (or some version of it) prevails, and on we go into the next trilogy. To have Ben try to save the children (after he kills Rey when she snaps for whatever reason) would make for a cool attempt at redemption (which ultimately fails).

I NEED *that* dark movie. Not -"Ooooh, Rogue One/TESB was sooo dark"- dark, I mean DARK. YouTubers, get on it!

4. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    I never got to see the image. Yours or the one above.

ETA: Nevermind. I got it to work by manually using the URL as opposed to link-clicking. Yes, I've seen this comic. HAHAHA.

5. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    If it did, I'd demand my money back. Loudly.

6. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    I seriously doubt it.

7. Count Zero

Count Zero Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2014
    If this one ends in a DS victory, expect an Episode X chatter to start about a month after IX's release and an announcement not long after that. The only thing a DS victory in the ST means is Saga films until doomsday.

8. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    I think it will have to if Lucasfilm/DISNEY intend on making 10, 11 and 12. I know there is the thing that is said about the Skywalker Saga was always 9 parts long. But I thought not so long ago that DISNEY announced plans for 10, 11 and 12. I realise RJ has a new trilogy, but I think it will be confusing if they call that trilogy 10,11 and 12. So yes, this trilogy will have to end going into the dark again like ROTS.

9. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    But they would still contradict so much of the EU in the process

10. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    No. JJ and RJ talked about how the Saga ends with this movie. No way Kylo and the FO win. Sadly, it appears to me he won’t be redeemed and will die. For the last Skywalker to die evil isn’t how I had imagined the trilogy of trilogies ending.

11. Bacbacca

Bacbacca Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2011
    kylo is more interesting than Rey so it would be cool if it did.

12. Christopher Blair

Christopher Blair Jedi Master star 4

Dec 23, 2015
    disagree totally, I do think 10-12 are coming eventually but not bc of a darkside victory in 9, but to test the market on how well received the new characters were. after 9 we are still getting an obi wan movie most likely plus 3 new movies in a new RJ timeline. if you do the math that is what 9 or 10 yrs of new movies without an official episode. they could bring back rey and others in 15 yrs to try and get the event film type money again and see just how popular the characters have or have not become. my son is 12 and he loves the new movies in lets say 12 yrs he would be 24 and might be nolstogic about what happened to rey and the others. They could pick up the story anywhere, maybe rey started a jedi/new religion school maybe she became a bounty hunter, point being at that juncture they could take the story anywhere especially if ben solo dies bc they will not be beholden to the skywalker story in anyway.

Blobofat likes this.
  13. jimmycrank

jimmycrank Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    I don't think it will end with a "Dark Side Victory" but it could end with Kylo / Rey Destroying each other..... Snoke mentions in TLJ that the reason for Rey's power is essentially the force balancing things about between light and dark, so what I gather from that is...the force has to be balanced 1 cannot exist without the other...... So they either destroy each other or they both somehow survive.... I do however believe the republic will return and the FO will be defeated.

14. Strategize

Strategize Jedi Master star 3

Dec 18, 2017
    If this really is the end of the Skywalker saga, there's not a chance in hell it doesn't end happily.

15. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Really? I don’t remember hearing that in the audiobook. What was his name? Did he get elected? The only chancellors I know of are Mon Mothma and Lanever Villecham.

16. Aetius888

Aetius888 Jedi Master star 2

May 23, 2005
    There was an article on Slate in the past few days that was very detailed about the film's influences and references. And the writer thought that the cave/mirror scene, a reference to Citizen Kane, indicated that Rey's fate is to become a tyrant.

Just sayin'.

17. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    It’ll probably be a tie. Bitter sweet ending.

18. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Did anyone else find themselves wanting this in TLJ? I chuckled and thought it would have been better if Rey had actually joined Kylo in TLJ, like the player choosing the dark side ending of a video game. Muah ha ha ha ha haha haaaaaaa.

No, I'm not a Rey/Kylo shipper and never have been. I just thought it would have been quite the twist, and totally in line with the contrarian direction of the ST.

19. Herald of Mandos

Herald of Mandos Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 1, 2018
    Could this trilogy end with a dark side victory? It already has. World's first two part trilogy! Groundbreaking!

20. sls062286

sls062286 Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2016
    Only TLJ is contrarian, and JJ is back in for the next one. I think hes less likely to do subversion for the sake of subversion. So I don't think we can call the sequel trilogy as a whole contrarian.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  21. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I disagree completely, as I think TFA was rather contrarian and that JJ has a history of it.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  22. DarthWolvo23

DarthWolvo23 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    I think it will end with the light and dark sides in balance

Count Yubnub likes this.
  23. Bunai

Bunai Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 17, 2017
    If Daisy wants to leave the role, then it makes sense for the First Order to win. I would enjoy Boyega taking up the role instead.

24. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I don't think that Rey will go to the Dark Side (it's Disney) but perhaps she will die to save the universe. Kylo survives and turns to the good side but is disgraced and must make amends. I suppose the predictable course would be for Kylo to sacrifice himself a la Vader, perhaps him and Rey fight the Knights of Ren, who want to take over themselves.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  25. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    Luke, Han and Leia are dead, their work in ruins, at the hands of their own child, who became the Emperor. What's our happy ending? Rey and Finn live happily ever after until episode ten, when their child murders them? In that case, I'd rather Rey and Kylo get together so I get to see Kylo run through with a saber.