main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Could this trilogy end with a "dark side victory"?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by MrElculver2424, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    I don't see any actual happy ending possible. Han has been killed by his evil son who seems to have essentially always been evil from the start it just took him time to realize it. Everything that Leia stood for has been a part of has been destroyed. At best there is some nominal recovery but there is no reason to believe that any of it will endure.

Luke became a terrible Jedi Master who it seems didn't even want to start a new Jedi Order and when he did it was disastrous as not only his own nephew but half of his students turned to the Dark side and killed the other half. He became a coward, quitter and failure. He never passed on what he learned and worse than that he forgot what he learned anyway.

So really at this point I don't see what they can do. The important thing that happened was that through Luke it was Anakin who brought balance to the Force but since that was achieved in VI then nothing of exceptional note is going to happen in regards to the Skywalkers other than Ren being defeated and dispatched.

Now if they work it that somehow Ren can actually become a good guy, bring justice to the galaxy and restart the Jedi Order then through him that does something in terms of Leia and Han as the parents and Luke as his teacher but whatever slim chance of that making any sense from TFA has been basically completely undone by his actions and intent in TLJ.

I don't see how you get there in one movie in a truly credible way. Maybe JJ will completely repudiate the story of TLJ and go with a story that he had in his own mind for VIII and IX and combine it all into one movie.

PendragonM likes this.
  2. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    Rey will kill Kylo, defeat the New Order and become the head of a new Force Order. Maybe Jedi. Maybe... Reyi!

As she is so awesome, they name themselves after her. She'll probably be President as well.

The darkest timeline.

UKS

3. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Darkest I could see Disney allowing is that the First Order is defeated, but it still exists and no New New Republic happens.

4. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    Logically speaking, if Disney wants another trilogy, it makes sense for this one to end on a down note.

5. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    Well, since the new Galaxy's Edge park at Disney revolves around First Order vs. Resistance, you may be on to something.

6. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Not necessarily. A new trilogy doesn’t have to be a sequel to the ST.

7. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    I meant if they want to make a sequel trilogy to the ST. Otherwise, then no they can do whatever they want.

8. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I can't see how. All of these characters in the ST keep hammering about "balance"--which, after Anakin brought balance to the Force, is appropriate. But since "balance" is such a big theme in the ST, which in these movies is represented as Rey vs Kylo, I can't see a satisfying ending where either Rey kills Kylo, or where Kylo gets redeemed.

I can see two options:
    1. Rey's and Kylo's powers become stronger and stronger, until they both because gods (Mortis or otherwise);
    2. Kylo's power is linked to Rey's. At some last-moment-type thing, Rey sacrifices herself, robbing Kylo of his power. (Which would, IMO, be pretty lame, depending on how it's executed.)

So, I'm either going for the first one, or that some writer has better ideas than I do.

Cave of Erised likes this.
  9. RandySolo

RandySolo Jedi Knight

Jun 12, 2018
    Personally, I hope Rey, Finn, Poe and Kylo all die in episode 9 and Disney ends the Saga and focuses instead on the Anthology films.

What I'd also like to see (but know better than to expect) are Special Editions of episodes seven and eight where the stupid, moronic, pointless deaths of Han and Luke are reversed. The heroes shouldn't die. This is Star Wars. A fantasy world. Realism doesn't apply.

10. powerfulforce

powerfulforce Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 16, 2005
    Well the new Halloween film is a direct sequel to the very first one and it will retcon/erase all the other films that came after the first one. I know it is a long shot, but maybe the ST can be excised and they start over again. We can’t do anything about the original trio being back together, but maybe they can have legacies that live on as opposed to being the failures these new films have presented.

11. RandySolo

RandySolo Jedi Knight

Jun 12, 2018
    You know what I think would have been more interesting? Have the story with the new characters (and a white guy who isn't one of the villans) as is, except don't include any of the older characters at all. Just have Rey begin to discover that she has the force, or suspect she does, and have her go off in search of Luke Skywalker (who is as much a myth and legend as the Jedi are, as she and Finn believed in the Force Awakens), and while she's searching for Luke, have her and Finn and Poe have the adventures they're having, and at the end of the trilogy, the final scene of The Force Awakens can play out. Rey finds Luke and offers him his Lightsaber, the trilogy ends, and we are left wondering what happens next.

Another good way to go would have been have Rey been Luke's Padawan in his new Jedi Order when Kylo turns evil and attempts to destroy the Order, fails, but goes of to the First Order and Snoke and all that, and have Luke, Rey, and other Jedi in Luke's Order trying to stop Kylo and the First Order. This way, having Luke re-establish the Jedi order which was the point of the OT would not gut that story completely by having Luke give up because ONE Padawan turned on him. NOBODY gives up after one setback. Why they though that would be a good idea is beyond me.

christophero30 likes this.
  12. powerfulforce

powerfulforce Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 16, 2005
    Luke quit not because of just one student, but because HALF of them turned dark and slaughtered the other half. Why they were so gung-ho about making Luke fail so horribly is beyond me. There is making a character “human” and dragging them through the mud, they chose the latter while thinking they were doing the former. Showing him as jaded and a bit cynical is fine, but to make him an abject failure to prop up the new protagonist was a terrible idea and never should have been greenlit.

13. Christus Regnet

Christus Regnet Jedi Master star 3

Mar 10, 2016
    Lucas has recently revealed some of his plans for the sequels and how he wanted to take things in a more mystical, metaphysical direction, which is very line with what Lucasfilm was doing back in 2010-2012 with Yoda's quest for immortality in TCW, and the monomyth, the "ones," the Maw, "beyond shadows," et al. With that in mind, I think a good setup might have been to have Luke be on this sort of quest, but have Rey(or "Kira") seek him out and bring him back into the adventure, with maybe an overall message of "the good fight continues" and the "star wars" don't end. Luke can still ultimately attain whatever knowledge he seeks, but not before being brought back to reality, to remember why he left tatooine all those years ago in the first place.

Maybe Rey could be the one to go on that quest with him, and we could experience those amazing discoveries through her. I would'nt have repeated Anakin's Storyline with a "ben solo" or anything like that, but I like the idea of a new dark jedi out there hunting. That's always a good idea.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  14. Organafan

Organafan Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2017
    At this point I wouldn't be surprised if J.J. Abrams pulled some kind of LOST/Star Trek kind of alternate reality that mixes and makes everyone question what is "canon" and what is "Legends." Rey could wake up and be back at Maz Kanada's castle with everything seen since being part of the vision from touching the lightsaber, or back on Ach-To after going "straight through."

PendragonM likes this.