main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Could We Haved Avoided the PT With a Flashback?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by redlightning, May 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014

Instead of having an entire trilogy of films to tell the origin of Darth Vader and the Empire, could not there have gotten by simply been future sequences filmed for flashbacks or made into holographic recordings given by R2-D2 given by Obi-Wan in Return of the Jedi showing things like how Obi-Wan and Anakin met, the Clone Wars, the rise of Darth Vader, etc?

2. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Meh. I'm much happier with most of what we got with the PT. ROTS adds a lot of depth to the other five films, and TPM is such a symbolic beginning. AOTC I would tweak, but it has it's moments.

jakobitis89 and sarlaccsaurs-rex like this.
  3. Darth Master Titus

Darth Master Titus Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 10, 2014
    No, I'm fine with how things played out.

Andy Wylde and Chris_Fives like this.
  4. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    Could we have avoided it with a flashback? Probably.

The questions is: why would we want to?

5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Would be interesting to see how this would have been done.

6. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Could we have avoided the OT with a simple plot summary written on the back of a cereal box? Yeah, sure. I....I guess so. Cool thought experiment.

7. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Lucas had only intended for three films to be made, after he split the first draft into three films. But because he was interested in the backstory, that is why he began adding so much detail that he eventually wanted to make multiple films.

Darth Master Titus likes this.
  8. Darth Master Titus

Dec 10, 2014
    Aren't we all happy he did so :)

chagrian_scavenger and KenW like this.
  9. Pain and Suffering

Pain and Suffering Jedi Master star 3

Mar 8, 2015
    I don't really see how you could fit over seven hours of film into a flashback. Anyway, why would I want to avoid the Prequel Trilogy?

10. Darth Master Titus

Dec 10, 2014
    Prequel trilogy hater? [face_dunno]

Just kidding of course, OP :p

11. Pain and Suffering

Pain and Suffering Jedi Master star 3

Mar 8, 2015
    That wasn't meant as a sarcastic remark. I do like the Prequels a lot, even if I like the OT better. I love all of the Star Wars films.

12. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
  13. Darth Master Titus

Dec 10, 2014
    I misread your comment. I thought you were referring to the OP when you said, "Anyway, why would I want to avoid the Prequel Trilogy?" I thought you were asking why would the OP want to avoid the PT.. The joke was in response to that assumption lol, mistake.

14. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Maybe, but even if there had been a flashback(s), I'm sure GL and fans would still want that era explored. Instead of the ST and spinoffs, Disney might be exploring that era right now if GL hadn't.

15. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    Maybe.

But why should it be avoided??

Andy Wylde and KenW like this.
  16. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    Could we have avoided the OT with a simple plot summary written on the back of a cereal box? Yeah, sure. I....I guess so. Cool thought experiment.
    -------

this, pretty much.

KenW likes this.
  17. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    It certainly could have been told through flashback. But it's a roundabout argument. They make movies, people ask why not just do it through flashback. Had they done it through flashback, people would ask why not make movies about it, we would right now today still be asking for the movies.

And aside from telling the story, the simple truth is there was money to be made by doing a whole set of prequel films.

18. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014

This is rather misleading. He took ideas out of Star Wars and then used them when it became successful enough to have further films. Things like the Wookiee (later Ewok) ground battle, the Alderaan Prison which became the inspiration for Cloud City, and Luke and Vader dueling with Luke beating Vader and becoming a Jedi. When the first film was locked down in its final form, these ideas were dropped and later modified and used in the other two films of the Trilogy.

The original backstory was very limited, only about 20% of the PT was thought out before he started writing Episode 1. That's why TPM and AOTC seem rather padded compared to ROTS.

19. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    No.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  20. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    Let me quess. Michael Kaminski?

21. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    They are about much more than that. You could have flashbacks, but they could never replace everything that's shown in the movies.

Also, ever since TESB was subtitled Episode V, a prequel trilogy was bound to happen.

Andy Wylde, Saga Explorer and L110 like this.
  22. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    It's May the 4th not April the 1st.

23. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    These aren't Peter Jackson movies.

oierem likes this.
  24. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    I gotta laugh at the fact that this thread exists. Most people complain that Anakin's fall and the PT movies in general felt too "rushed," and here is the thought that the PT should've been cut altogether for a 2 minute flash back sequence.

I'm sure big stars like Ewan McGregor, Natalie Portman, Hayden Christensen and the bad MF SLJ would've just jumped on to sign a contract for a flashback sequence.

uperduper, Andy Wylde and KenW like this.
  25. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

It's not exactly untrue, but it's an odd way to go about disparaging the films. Even less than 20% of the OT was thought out before Lucas started writing Episode IV, and yet no one seems to have an issue with the way they turned out. Hell, as much as I love it, I think ESB is padded out more than TPM or AOTC are. Half the movie consists of Han and Leia running away from Star Destroyers, trading snarky quips back and forth until the screenwriter determines that the time has come for them to succumb to their feelings for each other. There's no real character progression there. It's basically just passing time until the next act break--in a supremely entertaining fashion, mind you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.