main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Could we see flash backs in the new films

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by markn74, Nov 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markn74

markn74 Jedi Padawan

Sep 5, 2013
    Being one of J.J's best works, Lost worked amazingly well with its 2 tier story telling. Do you think this approach could work in the star wars universe and if so, how much or little should be used in telling back stories and maybe bringing back past characters like Vader,Qui-Gon and Sidious?

2. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    Linear, forward moving storytelling is a big part of what Star Wars is. Lets not go into Christopher Nolan territory unless it's absolutely necessary.

3. DV75

DV75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    No flashbacks.

Please and thank you.

Let Star Wars be Star Wars.

4. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Holorecordings, force ghosts, throw away lines maybe... flashbacks, no, not a chance

5. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    It worked great in LOST because the whole show was designed that way. That said, SW has never used the technique, nor do I think it will. I think the "flashbacks" will be in the form of references to past events and/or characters.

Skywalker Thing and Ryus like this.
  6. ScorpionJedi

ScorpionJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2013
    Flashbacks would be appropriate when needed I guess. Plus it depends on several factors like story, the characters involved, setting especially etc etc.

If I'm not mistaken didn't the audition script that involved an apple or something involved characters who were orphans? Wouldn't it be nice if we had flashbacks which developed the character(s) by showing us how they ended up here?

7. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    Flashbacks can work on a television show because you have the time to show them that doesn't take away from whatever is happening in the present. Flashbacks in a movie are a different thing since you only have two to two and a half hours to tell your story. The only time flashbacks work in a movie is if you do it the way they did it in the Usual Suspects which is a different kind of movie then any of the SW films.

darthfettus2015, Ryus and Echo-07 like this.
  8. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    The whole Saga is R2's flashback so no we don't need flashbacks inside of flashbacks. ;)

darthfettus2015 likes this.
  9. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    My first instinct is to say no. However, I didn't think we'd see a dream sequence in SW either but that changed in ROTS.

10. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I know there are precedents for unprecedented storytelling techniques in Star Wars, but I still don't think flashbacks would fit within the style of the movies at all.

11. danmcken

danmcken Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 7, 2003
    They would be good in a Godfather 2 style if they make a Boba Fett standalone movie

12. SkywalkerSquadron

SkywalkerSquadron Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2013
    I might be up for a flashback if it was as a force vision kind of thing. I'm not sure if a flashback as a separate thing on the timeline of the movie would work as well. I'm totally hoping to see some force ghosts.

13. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    Not to knock how well JJA utilized the flashback concept in Lost because I think he did a fantastic job, but I don't see that concept having a place in the Star Wars films, and it was pretty confusing in Lost 80% of the time.

As the ol' saying goes, why fix it if it ain't broken, and Star Wars' linear storytelling has fit the franchise like a glove thus far. Plus, I've always been rather partial toward the idea of characters retelling the story from their own perspectives, and in their own words, without actually showing the events unfolding before our eyes. However, that's not to say it couldn't work, depending on the platform, as flashbacks were a tremendous asset in Knights of the Old Republic.

Imo it'd feel misplaced in the film franchise though, and as for the return of Qui-Gon, Palpatine, etc. that's what resurrection, holocrons and Force ghosts are for.

14. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The PT is flashbacks from Yoda, Obi-Wan and Anakin at the end of ROTJ!
    Or Obi-Wan on Dagobah in ROTJ.

15. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Not in an ST or proper "episode" movie but I would be very open to a spin-off flick using as many narrative tricks in the book as they want. That "Han Solo: Origins" rumoured spin-off could be helped greatly if they did a Lost-style narrative flashback/flashforward structure (and they could use Harrison Ford in it as well!)

Mystery_Roach and TKT like this.
  16. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    Yeah, that'd be great. I'd love for the Han Solo: Origins film(s) to feature Ford. Han, Chewie and Lando are just sitting around a cantina, sharing their ol' stories, that'd be a blast to watch, and would lighten the blow of another actor stepping into the shoes of a character Ford helped to endear to the world.

BigAl6ft6 and Loupgarou like this.
  17. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I think some flashbacks in the form of force visions could be really neat. It might be used to set-up the new villain.

It doesn't hurt to have a bit of fresh air in SW. Just because something hasn't been done before doesn't mean it can't work well.

TKT likes this.
  18. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    In spin-offs, not the main films. The only possibility is something force related because then itMs diagetic, part of the world of the story. Like Harry Potter's 'pull a memory out of your brain and literally walk into it' thing. But straight, not-known-to-the-characters flashbacks don't really work in the spend action adventure story Star Wars is.

Also that dream sequence is extremely minimal, that's the only way it worked.

19. Little Mike

Little Mike Jedi Youngling

Jun 23, 2013
    Flashbacks for the Sequel Trilogy will work fine if they execute them in the same style that they approached flashbacks in the previous films of the Star Wars Saga, i.e. not doing them at all.

In the spinoff films they could work - the first Ewok movie had a voiceover, so there's no reason why such a different style couldn't work. Just not in Eps 7-9, it hasn't been done before, wouldn't fit - and we'd notice.

20. markn74

markn74 Jedi Padawan

Sep 5, 2013
    This is the kind of flash backs i meant. Maybe Luke looks to the past for clues about the force, jedi and Sith. Instead of fixating himself on the future like Anakin and Sidious, he uses meditation to see past events.
    I brought this up as a way past characters could be in the S.T. mainly Vadar. I am still mortified that we only got a minute or two of the greatest Villain of all time and it was the mast appalling lines that he ever spoke . I don't think a force ghost of Vadar would cut the grain, anyway he redeemed himself so there would not be any force ghost of him.

And I think we would all be blown away seeing him being truly badass from events that happened between ROTS and ANH.
    James Earl Jones in not getting any younger and it is his voice that made Star Wars what it is.

21. Little Mike

Little Mike Jedi Youngling

Jun 23, 2013
    What's a Vadar?

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  22. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Nope, it's not something that fits into Star Wars. I found the vision scenes as somewhat stretching it, but a whole out flashback would just stick out like a CGI Hutt in a 1977 movie.

Skywalker Thing likes this.
  23. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    i still think people are too critical about Vader in the scene at end of ROTJ, the nooooo is not that bad really (same as Lukes in ESB really) if you notice it blends in with the music in background and afterwards too and i love Vader asking about Padme like he forgot he just killed her

Mystery_Roach likes this.
  24. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    So, what about holo-recordings?

25. Odolwa

Odolwa Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 12, 2013
    I wouldn't want flash backs, Maybe holo-recordings and stuff though, If luke is in the new movies id like the movie to reveal stuff anakin did or what happened during the clone wars and seeing his reaction to some of the stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.