main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Could you kill another human?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Rouge Null, May 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    Even if my religion were being physically attacked, I wouldn't kill someone cause it's against one of the commandments.

I'm not saying that I would just kill someone for my religion either. What I'm saying is that those things (God, family, freedom, country, religion) are the things worth fighting for in this life. If I am going defend someone/something, I will do so with every means at my disposal. However, I would only kill as a last resort.

Killing is not wrong, if done in defense of yourself or others. It is murder (the wrongful taking of innocent life) that is wrong.

Kimball Kinnison

2. The_Last_Gunslinger

The_Last_Gunslinger Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 17, 2002
    Like most others, in self-defense of loved ones, or times of war (BUT I can't be drafted for another year and a half! :D)

But then again, most of of have to think, that if it was in self defense, make sure you kill the person because it seems plenty of criminals that are harmed in their acts sue the people that shot/hurt them. [face_plain]

3. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    How many of you would die for another human?

4. ArtificialStupidity

ArtificialStupidity Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 20, 2002
    IAmTheDarkSide, the question you represent is a difficult one to answer. A person can swear to die for a loved one, yet when a dangerous situation occurs, he or she could act against his or hers promise. As I have not experienced a situation where I would have had to choose either to save myself, or die while saving another person, I can not answer. Perhaps?

I could not murder another person. I am capable of killing if being in a situation where my life is attacked; or the life of my mother / father / little-sister. Yet I would still feel quiltiness for the rest of my life.

5. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    I would die for almost anyone I know.

6. cavalier_one

cavalier_one Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2001
    I would lay down my life for my family, my friends, and my girlfriend if it ensured their survival.

I have a friend who is like a brother to me, even after everything we've been through. I would die for him, and I know he would do the same for me.

7. Mrs_MayimNaar

Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    I wouldn't kill someone cause it's against one of the commandments.

The commandments don't say "Thou shall not kill." They say "Thou shall not murder"

There is a big difference between the two.

8. Cailina

Cailina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 1999
    The commandments don't say "Thou shall not kill." They say "Thou shall not murder"

There is a big difference between the two.

Yes there is a big difference between the two however, there are also different translations of the commandments in the different versions of the Bible. The Catholic version says "Thou shalt not Kill" hence their anti-death penalty stance.

9. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    Go back to the original Hebrew or Greek, or whichever early translation you prefer to call the original(that is an entirely different debate!) and look at the words. You will see that the appropriate translation is "Murder," not kill.

As far as the "Catholic translation" goes, I wouldn't look to that for anything. It has been altered to benefit those who "translated" it. They even left an entire commandment out!

10. Ga4

Ga4 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2002
    The 11 commandments?Which commandment was left out? It also depends on your definition of murder. There is no need to bash catholics, they have a thread for clearing up misconceptions people may have.

11. Ga4

Ga4 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2002
    I suggest you post proof or retract.

12. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    Murder: to unlawfully take a life. (note: this is my own personal definaition, off the top of my head. I reserve the right to add to or clarify this at a later date...)

As far as the left out commandment, there are 10, and the Catholics leave out one. This is very off topic, so I will post my proof and then drop the subject.

here is what the Caltholic religion considers to be the 10 commandments(scroll about 2/3 of the way down). In this list, they completely left out Exodus 20:4-5 "You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. You shall not bow down to them or worship them..." which is a very important part of the ten commandments. Instead, they divide coveting into two separate commandments, when they are clearly listed in the Bible as one.

But, to bring this back on topic, you will notice that in the link I provided to the Catholic beliefs, even they list "You shall not kill" rather than you shall not murder.

EDIT: My intent was not to bash Catholics in any way shape or form, if that is how I came across, I apologize. I was simply trying to prove a point that the original text of the Bible is superior to any subsequent translation, regardless of language it is in or religion(Catholic or otherwise).

13. Ga4

Ga4 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2002
    I was actually hoping for a hebrew version and the word they used actually translating into murder.

EDITActually they are all there, they are just either combined or separated.

The numbering of the ten commandments is different in the Catholic tradition and the Protestant tradition.  (The Bible does not actually number the ten commandments, so they have been numbered by tradition.)  The commandments are all there, it's just that one tradition combines two into one and presents another commandment as two different commandments.  The other tradition is vice versa. 
    Here

14. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    The Hebrew word used in the original text of the Ten Commandments(Ex. 20:13) is ra'tsach. It is a root which is invariably translated as murder throughout the rest of the Old Testament.

The Hebrew words translated as kill are na'chah, ha'rag(which also implies deadly intent), among others.

Incidently, if you check a modern Hebrew-to-English dictionary (i.e. Oxford), the word ra'tsach is still translated as murder. This still implies intent or a malicious attitude.

(reference: Jewish Publication Society Hebrew-to-English Translation, based off Masoretic text cross-checked against the Septuigent.)

15. Ga4

Ga4 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2002
    OK thats good to know.

16. Malazaf

Malazaf Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 7, 2002
    Under certain circumstances: Not in cold blood, not unless they actually did something wrong, and not unless I couldnt think of a way to make their life a horrible living hell on earth (Im quite good at that by now), would I kill someone for a purpose of revenge, or something.

I would NOT kill for my country (at least not my current country) I might kill for my loved ones, though that isnt really too large a number.

Things can be accomplished much more malevolently without death.

17. 1sicmaggot

1sicmaggot Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 6, 2001
    Kill for someone...yes. Die for someone?...I don't think so. Yeah, so I'm selfish, so what?

I could kill another human...I would do anything in the fight against natural selection. I fight for my beliefs...and I'll probably die for 'em too.

18. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    This ones a personal; paradox. I would probably die for just about anyone. Just because of the guilt I'd live with if I didn't.

But then I have thought about killing someone. Well, planned what I;d do if I had the overwhelming desire. It would probably involve taking a plane to another city or country, and killing a nobody...someone homeless or something. Basically someone who's death wouldn;t be investigated too rigourosly.

But, over all, I think I fall into the first point alot heavier than the second.

19. Quickstrike34

Quickstrike34 Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 27, 2001
    In self defense of me or My Family and frieds, and In War Time, I would Kill.
    I would Die for some people also, bassically the same ones, ezecpt in war Time I'm more likley not to die for someone during war.

20. Mister_Bunny

Mister_Bunny Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 5, 2001
    Could I kill another human being?

Well, I ain't killed a first human being, so I ain't reckonin on killing another.

21. That_Flashing

That_Flashing Jedi Master star 5

Aug 22, 2000
    No, never. Not under any circumstances.

I think only the creator of that life should have the power to take it away.

22. Ender

Ender Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 12, 1998
    Yep. In self-defence or if my mother or brother were threatened.

23. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    Hmm... good question.

While it takes a lot to get me riled up, I tend to act on impulse. While I certainly don't WANT to, I probably would have to in self-defense or in the name of my country.

The first goes with the "eye for an eye" basis. While I certainly don't want to do it, I must retaliate and do whatever it takes to ensure my survival. While I'm usually a passive person, I will fiercely fight for my own, or someone close's, life.

The second one is more impersonal. Do I want to kill the enemy soldier? No, but I have to to help my country win. Sure, I'd regret it. Sure, I'd feel sorry for the soldier's family and friends. I'd live with that terrible feeling for the rest of my life.

24. DarthLothi

DarthLothi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 4, 2001
    I don't think I would have any problem killing someone who threatened my wife or family. And I would die to protect them, too.

25. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    Everyone has the capability to kill someone, all you need is the proper motivation and frame of mind. It's a primal instinct which we still have yet to overcome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.