main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Could you kill another human?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Rouge Null, May 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cailina

Cailina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 1999
    To defend myself or those I care about(close friends/family) I could probably kill someone.

I would die to defend someone I cared about too.

2. Kerr_Plunk

Kerr_Plunk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2002
    i would die to defend my children/loved ones

3. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    In defence of loved ones, myself, or my country.

4. PROPHEToftheCOUNCIL

PROPHEToftheCOUNCIL Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2001
  5. Fluke_Groundwalker

Fluke_Groundwalker Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 11, 2001
    Catholic version says "Thou shalt not Kill" hence their anti-death penalty stance.

I'm Catholic and I support the death penalty. As do most of my friends and family. Do not make assumptions when you don't know what you're talking about.

I would kill for my family, friends, and country.

6. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    I am able too. I have, unfortunately, had a chance to check that fact. Almost killed a stupid kid who kept taunting me for an hour until I went berserk and strangled him. If not for other people's interference, I would have killed him.
    That's the reason why I've been controlling my anger ever since.

7. Cailina

Cailina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 1999
    Catholic version says "Thou shalt not Kill" hence their anti-death penalty stance.

I'm Catholic and I support the death penalty. As do most of my friends and family. Do not make assumptions when you don't know what you're talking about.

I did not mean that all Catholics are anti-death penalty. I meant that the official stance of the Catholic church is that they are anti-death penalty. Better? I'm basing this on what I was taught having been raised a Catholic.

8. Darth Rayder

Darth Rayder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 1999
    Actually, the Church's stance is that the death penalty is permissible if there is no other way to protect society from an assailant. However, the Pope has suggested that such instances are exceedingly rare.

9. thegreatyoda

thegreatyoda Jedi Master star 4

Jun 10, 2001
    I might be able to in self defense. But if I did, I know I would spend the rest of my life haunted by it. Well, if I ran into Hitler I'd kill him without a second thought. But anyone else would probably cause me some permanant emotional damage.

10. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    Could you kill another human?

Hell yeah!

If my life was threatened! In a situation like that the natural survival laws kick in. I feel that you, as a form of life itself, have a right to do away with anyone who is in anyway trying to hurt you. That's the laws of nature. Being scared and running from the problem is okay too. But you can hide and still get killed by your attacker. If you have knowledge that someone is after you, and you know who it is, you have a God given right to seek them out in violent fashion as well.

Malcolm X said "By any means Necessary"

And that's my law too!

11. Boywunder

Boywunder Jedi Youngling

May 6, 2002
    "In defense of loved ones, myself, and my country."

What if your country wanted you to do it for an unjust cause?

I'll never blindly follow any government.

12. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    I refuse to answer that question TrainingForUtopia.

[face_plain]

Get thee to banland.

13. Darth Rayder

Darth Rayder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 1999
    I realized that I didn't answer the original question.

Yes, I could kill another human, if I was threatened. With some ease, in fact. If someone attempts to harm my loved ones or myself, I could end their life without the slightest hint of remorse.. well, no remorse for the action. I'd be sorry that I was placed in that situation, perhaps.

14. Mrs_MayimNaar

Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    Here's another interesting question to ponder: Would you kill a loved one to save them great pain?

For example, if someone you loved were trapped under a rock after a landslide, and was dying a slow excruciating death, and there was no way to save them, would you kill them to put them out of their misery?

Or like in The Last of The Mohicans when Duncan gives himself to the Indians to save Cora's life. They then string him up and begin to burn him alive. Nathaniel stops just outside the camp and turns around to shoot Duncan (they call it a "mercy killing" in the book) to save him from the misery he is in.

So, could you? Kill someone to save them from pain? I am talking about in an extreme, circumstance, mind you, not euthanasia.

15. R2D2-PENA

R2D2-PENA Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 6, 2001
    Here is another question:

Have you ever killed anyone? And how did you feel? And have you ever been in a life or death situation?

For me, the answers would be YES, i have killed someone, and i felt really scared and at the same time relieved (in the good sense) i ran a guy over in my car, and killed him, but it was not my fault and i felt scared, but at the same time relieved being the fact that i was not blatanly killing that person, so would that mean that in a state of war or self-defense, i would feel remorse? maybe not, as i have already experienced this, and i was once in a shootout situation where i was forced to protect and be protected and i know how i would react next time.

How about you?

16. JangoFettClone

JangoFettClone Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 24, 2002
    Remind me never to jump in front of your car.

17. R2D2-PENA

R2D2-PENA Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 6, 2001
    Hey i was on the highway, it was not my fault, but i now remember to look forward when driving.

18. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    I've never killed anyone, but I think that if I did it wouldn't tear me apart. I'm not a real emotional person; I'm not awed by awesome things, I don't cry when relatives die, I don't dwell on pain or shortcomings, and I don't get stressed out about things.

19. Tuebor

Tuebor Jedi Youngling

Dec 26, 2001
    Kill another? Two contexts.

#1 Murder: I hope not, I'd like to think that I have the control to find another way to deal with the rage that would bring that possibility.

#2 Other: Without a doubt. Not just in defense of my life or my family or loved ones. I look at the other person's action. If some ^%^!$#@! is hurting someone or threatening someone else that is their action. What is required to stop their aggressive action? If 'diplomacy' or 'negotation' works...great If not, I'd choose to protect the victim whether I love them or not whether I know them or not No regret for the 'big stick' or small caliber.

20. Lisse

Lisse Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 6, 2001
    Most of the time, no. There's only two exceptions I can think of: to save my life or those of my loved ones, or if the person I happened to be killing was someone truly evil. Hitler or Stalin comes to mind. But otherwise, no way.

21. Dathka

Dathka Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 24, 2002
    It is impossible to answer that question with 100% certainty as people usually don't stop to think it extreme situations but rather react. I think I could kill someone, but I've never been in a situation where I've had to find out (thankfully).

Morally however I have no problem with defending myself or others.

There is also a very fine distinction between intentionally seeking the death of someone and having them die because of your behaviour modifying techniques ;). In order to protect a loved one I would probably try to incapacitate the person the fastest and shurest way possible. If the only way to do that was a deathblow to the spine then so be it.

22. queenseamstress

queenseamstress TFN Costumes Staff star 3 VIP

Jan 30, 2002
    I could kill someone if the situation was to protect my young children or another member of my family-and I would not think twice. I could also do this in a self-defense situation where my own life was in danger.
    As far as what Mrs. MN was saying earlier-I think it depends on the situation. If there was any possible way to save the person I loved, or if it was a terminal illness type situation, I beleive I could not do it. I would do anythign in my paower to save them or make them more comfortable, but I do not beleive I could kill them-nor do I believe in mercy suicide to terminally ill patients.
    There is a reason murder and suicide are great sins-death should be from natural causes or accidents-not by someone purposely causing death for any reason. That is the job of our maker to decide when our time is up. This is also the reason serial killers do what they do-in general, most of their lives they have felt powerless, and causing death gives them the feeling of power and control that God must have.
    If I ever had to kill someone to protect myself or family-I would not regret it, but I am sure it would bother me for the rest of my life.

23. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    I will not say that I couldn't, even if I think that it would have to be a really bad situation for me to kill another human. Many a time I have told myself that there is really no use in doing so, but I realise that we do not necessarily listen to what our minds tell us, rather acting on the spur of the moment.

Nor will I say that if I kill, it would be either in self-defence or defending someone who shared the same ideals as me, was close to my heart or was innocent. I hope never to have to ever be faced with such a situation.

And most importantly, I hope that I will not be grappled by hate so strong that I might actually want to kill someone in revenge. The thought of it sickens me, but it is a reality that many a time terrible events such as these can make us change our feelings and harden them.

So yes, I probably could kill someone else, but I know that I would definitely feel guilty and miserable about it all my life.

As for whether I could lay down my life for somebody else, yes, I could. There are a lot of people in this world who deserve much better than I do, and I know that I have been very fortunate to be able to live the life that I have now. There are many people who don't deserve to die, and if by my death I can save them so that they can contribute in positive ways to the people around them, it would be worth it.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  24. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    To save someone I loved or care about? Yes
    For self defense? Possibly.
    For sake of doing it? No

For self defense, the reason I said possibly is that if I know I can escape the situation without harming the person, I would. I hate violence. I think if I could just break a nose or hurt a leg or something, I'd do that before killing them.

How many of you would die for another human?
    Yeah. I'd gladly give my life to help save someone else. Maybe it's because I'm not afraid of death. But I care about my loved ones and friends before I care about myself.

25. Cristalia

Cristalia Jedi Youngling star 3

May 15, 2000
    Could I kill someone? Yes.
    Could I die for someone? Yes.

All I'd need was a good enough reason.

Cris~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.