main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Count Dooku character discussion.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by SatineNaberrie, Feb 13, 2015.

1. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    I feel Count Dooku is an under rated villain. I love his swords man ship and think his was played by an awesome actor, Christopher Lee. He has intelligence and cunning. He isn't an brute strength villain. He has class.

I haven't really read the EU stuff on his background. When it comes to the novels I pick and choose my canon and Disney threw out the old EU anyway.

Does anyone else imagine or feel that he left the Jedi because he believed they were corrupt? Was he an idealist who had good intent and became twisted and evil?

Do you think if Count Dooku had survived ROTS somehow, he may have came to his senses after his master's betrayal?

When I see ROTS and just go by the movies and before I watched TCW, which showed how black his heart was, when I saw the look on his face when Palpatine orders Anakin to kill him I imagine he realized too late what the Sith were.

I think he may have been redeemed if he had lived longer. In my opinion Vader was eviler than Dooku and he renounced the darkside.

2. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    He believed the Republic was corrupt, not the Jedi. But since they served the Republic, he left them.

That's how Lucas puts it.

3. IG Lancer

IG Lancer Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 8, 2015
    Well, if Dooku's fall was anything like Anakin's, he may have started with good intentions, but once Palpatine made him slip to the Dark Side he became utterly evil and Darth Sidious's b*tch.

I don't really understand the mechanics of falling into the Dark Side, to be honest...yes, I get that you give in to rage or hate or fear and receive a flow of dark power that helps you but also enhance those emotions. And the more you use the Dark Side, the more you come to rely on being angry and hateful to keep being powerful, which in turns warps more and more your mind.

What I don't understand is how sudden is the transition: Anakin cuts Windu's hand, and next he is kneeling in front of Sidious, receiving the order to kill the children. He may have been slipping to the dark side during all the II and III movies (his lack of emotional control, the murder of the Tusken, the execution of Dooku...etc.), but until a minute before he was on the side of the angels and now he's killing kids; he should have cut Palpatine's head when he heard that order...It's as if he had become a completely different person in a seconds.

And it seems it is really how George Lucas intended it to work. Palpatine expected Luke to kill his father and become his puppet.

So there is no way to know how Dooku was before falling into the Dark Side. Once he fell, he was evil to the bone, because it apparently is how it works.

Maybe Dooku changed less than Anakin; the EU material implies that he sook the power of the Dark Side on his own before meeting Sidious, and that he believed that it was just another aspect of the Force to be mastered, that he was arrogant enough to believe that he could use both the Light and the Dark side. If he crossed to the Dark Side on his own, for his own motives, instead of being corrupted and tricked by other, maybe he kept more of who he used to be...

Iron_lord likes this.
  4. Darth Zannah

Darth Zannah Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2014
    i love count dooku...he was such a better villain than viceroy gunray from the Phantom Menace...and the fact that christopher lee plays him makes me love him even more...i also like that when he engaged in his light saber battle with anakin and obi wan he taunted them...also the fact that he trained qui gong and was the padawan of yoda makes him all the more fascinating...especially because he left the jedi order...as a matter of fact i am getting ready to read Yoda Dark Rendevous just to dive more into his chaarcter

5. IG Lancer

Feb 8, 2015
    Wasn't he Master Thane Cerulian's padawan?

6. Darth Zannah

Darth Zannah Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2014
    never heard of him...I'm going off what was said in AOTC by Yoda..."you've fought well..my old padawan"

7. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    As we see in AOTC, every young Jedi student studies under Yoda for a time. When Dooku became Thame Cerulean's Padawan, it was more akin to graduate studies.

heels1785 likes this.
  8. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Dooku's extremely under rated as a villian. Sure, Maul was cool, but they should've just had Dooku has the apprentice from TPM-ROTS, and established him as a baddy more. He's got excellent dueling skills, knowledge of the force, charisma, and is an ex-Jedi. Maul was an assasin, and that's pretty much it.

Plus, Dooku is referred to as a former apprentice to Yoda. That makes things even more personal.

whostheBossk and Darth Blade like this.
  9. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I absolutely believe Dooku was an idealist with noble aspirations that saw the Jedi were growing stagnant, corrupt, and complacent. I believe he was distorted by Palpatine as was basically everyone.

SatineNaberrie likes this.
  10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    TCW seems to be moving away from that - in Season 6, in one of Yoda's visions, we have Dooku, as "Yoda's old Padawan" talking about various missions they'd been on, including one to Kashyyyk, where the two of them fought a terentatek.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  11. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012
    There is a difference between a Padawan and a youngling. The two aren't interchangeable. Yoda specifically calls Dooku, his old padawan.

12. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    But Yoda specifically refers to him as his Padawan in the movie. So he was Yoda's apprentice even beyond the initial training.

It's not something that comes from TCW, it's established in AotC.

13. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    I believe this too. I don't think he was completely naive to what was happening, but I truly saw Dooku as the kinda guy who thought he picked the lesser of two evils. If he was a complete monster, he wouldn't show the fondness he does for Qui Gon, and by extension, Obi Wan.

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  14. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Yoda specifically refers to the younglings as Padawans too.

15. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No, he doesn't.

16. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    I take it you haven't actually watched the movie? "Truly wonderful the mind of a child is. The Padawan is right."

17. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    You do know Disney non-canonized the EU a while back?

18. IG Lancer

Feb 8, 2015
    Maybe Master Thane died before Dooked was ready to be a knight and Yoda completed his training? There are several examples in the EU of padawans losing their masters and being reassigned to another.

19. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Even if Cerulean is no longer canon, my overall point remains the same. Nearly every Jedi trains under Yoda at some point. That doesn't prohibit them from having other Masters too (see Obi-Wan).

20. Crystalia

Crystalia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 24, 2013
    Count Dooku is awesome!

second best character in the PT for me easily!

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  21. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    There are thing in TCW that didn't match up with EU stuff. I suppose you can think of the EU as fan fiction in a way.
    I watched the commentary on the Griveous episode where it showed his lair and the different transformations, they brought of the comics and what they did for his orgin didn't match up.

Also Ventress in TCW seems inconsistent with what was done in comics before and also And Also Ahsoka isn't any any of the old stuff. Anakin didn't have a padawan.

I think we can believe Dooku was actually Yoda's Padawan or you can pick and choose you own canon.

only one kenobi likes this.
  22. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    Count Dooku is a great and complex character. He was an aristocrat . He was an idealist, and yet he was a bit of an elitist. I don't think he was 'duped' by Sidious. He had a lot of knowledge and experience to know what he was going down the path of. He's different than some Sith we see in the movies in that he seemed to be in control of his anger, while others were not.

23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    This is pretty much my take on him. I enjoyed him as a villain much more so than a one-dimensional type like Maul.

He was all over the place in the EU and pretty much useless in TCW, but one EU area where I enjoyed his portrayal was Plagueis. His being disgruntled with both the Jedi and the Republic really shows there, and we can see why he left the Order and joined Palpatine.

24. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    yes, he seems to come at it from a point of view where he doesn't 'hate' like most Sith , he comes at it from a disdainful aristocratic point of view. I don't think he hates the Jedi or any one person, he's just become disatisfied with the whole corrupted process so he wants to be one to control the galaxy from his point of view.

25. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    I like Count Dooku mostly in the EU as he's a complex character that I actually do sympathy with. While reading Darth Plagueis I found myself agreeing with him on a lot of stuff and I like how dignified he is as a sith compared to others. I certainly enjoy rage filled sith like Maul and Vader but Dooku does bring something new for your average sith.