main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Count Dooku character discussion.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by SatineNaberrie, Feb 13, 2015.

1. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012
    Which means when they point it out that he was trained by Yoda they are doing more than just pointing out the obvious. Otherwise every Jedi's entry would read "trained by Yoda", when they don't.

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Ki-Adi Mundi in the old EU was specifically Yoda's Padawan for "more than two decades" or "For the next 21 years" after being found - if that time overlapped with Dooku's teenage years - that might be why they chose to give Dooku another Master, rather than retcon Ki-Adi's.

In TPM Yoda tells Qui-Gon "An apprentice you have. Impossible, to take on a second" and Mace chimes in with "The Code forbids it."

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ki-Adi-Mundi

21 years- beginning in 88 BBY.

Dooku, by contrast, was 13 in 89 BBY, which was when, in the EU, his Padawanship started.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dooku

For all of Dooku's Padawan years except the 1st, Yoda was busy with Ki-Adi.

3. mikeximus

Jan 6, 2012

Yeah... I dunno. Just from the movie, I just get the feeling that it meant more than just one of thousands that Yoda trained. We never hear Yoda call any of the other Jedi his old Padawan, and there is plenty of opurtunity for Yoda to remind the other Jedi as to who brought them along.

So when Yoda uses it with Dooku, it just seemed more personal.

I admit I could be wrong, but, I won't concede based on EU... lol

Edit: Actually reading what you said... a padawan for more than 2 decades? That seems a bit out of line with what we see in the movies...

4. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    That is of course the EU-verse - there's nothing in the movies that says how old Ki-Adi was, or that Yoda trained him.

He did start at 4 instead of 14 though. I think (since the Ki-Adi comics were written pre-AOTC) there was no "youngling class" for him and Yoda started training him right away.

Result - he graduated at 25 or so - same age as Obi-Wan.

Jedi Knight Fett and mikeximus like this.
  5. mikeximus

Jan 6, 2012
    I will admit I don't know the source or it's context, but, it is interesting... I will continue to research it to find those answers...

[​IMG]

6. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Is that from Star Wars Tales, or from one of the later Star Wars Republic comics?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  7. mikeximus

Jan 6, 2012

Not sure. I was just googling "Dooku Yoda Padawan" and was looking through images and it caught my eye. It's from the EU Wiki..So I am not sure of it's true source.

8. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It would appear that it is the Most Precious Weapon comic, a Hasbro/Toys-R-Us exclusive - that was republished in the Menace Revealed omnibus.

At least that's what came up when I clicked on one of the first links in the Dooku article, about his early lightsaber training:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Most_Precious_Weapon

9. mikeximus

Jan 6, 2012

Very Interesting....

Iron_lord likes this.
  10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    From a Legendsverse completist perspective, one way to reconcile "my old Padawan", Ki-Adi's Padawanship, and Thame Cerulian, might be for Dooku's Padawanship with Thame to be delayed for a while, and for Yoda to be Dooku's Master during his first year, before the Council ended up deciding Ki-Adi was more in need of Yoda's expertise, with Yoda handing Dooku over.

Result - nothing needs to be retconned out of existence.

11. mikeximus

Jan 6, 2012

That all goes over my head lol... So I will take your word for it.

At the end of the day for me, the line in AOTC seems to mean more than Yoda just referring to an old youngling he trained. Is there a happy medium? I am sure there could be. Where that is? I have no clue.

Iron_lord likes this.
  12. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    Could always split the difference and have Yoda as an 'unofficial' mentor of Dooku - while never specifically the master in a master/padawan partnership Dooku ended up with a bunch of questions/theories and went to THE wisest, oldest Jedi of the lot to discuss them and they were pretty close beyond the normal Jedi brotherhood deal. That way everyone wins, they have a particular bond but Yoda doesn't go around on missions.

Iron_lord likes this.
  13. The Sith Camp

The Sith Camp Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 10, 2015
    Well - Count Dooku on a mission to Vjun - he did claim he had 'gone too far down the path of the Dark Side to redeem himself...' to Master Yoda and yet Master Yoda simply remarked and admitted he too - despite being a powerful Jedi Grandmaster in his own right - Master Yoda himself too 'felt the Dark Side in him at times...' but he did nearly convince Count Dooku to reconsider and return to the Jedi Order had it not been for Anakin and Obi-Wan intervening at the wrong time ... and considering Count Dooku at times makes references back to his days in the Jedi Order ... plus how he remarked at times about Sifo Dya's ideals ... and the fact how Count Dooku for a Sith Lord - he doesn't seem to be as most other Sith Lords where the Yellow Eyes of Rage, being so 'Force-Happy' when worked up, or Passionate about POWER, or displaying raw intense emotions ... but rather he keeps his cool ... and well compared to most Sith whom usually are physically mutilated either by self-infliction or injury as their dedication to the Dark Side or concentrations of the Dark Side - yet Count Dooku doesn't have Sith Tattoos or physical injuries or scars of the extreme ...

whostheBossk likes this.