main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Count Dooku was actually good the entire time, and it was pretty obvious

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by OG_Birdman, Dec 27, 2016.

1. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    I actually was always on Team Dooku in terms of idealism and rebellious nature. I think he started off good, as in seeing the Jedi and Republic as being corrupt, but attached his carriage to the wrong horse, so to speak.

I hate to admit it, but Dooku DID do some pretty horrible things during the CW. He did murder people, order droids to murder people, and did learn the Darkside of the Force. Do I think Dooku originally had good intentions? Sure. But once joining Sidious and turning to the Darkside of the Force, as Yoda says, it forever dominated his destiny. He fell down the slippery slope. I'm sure it started as a means to and end, but it ended up changing his morals and eliminating his restrictions.

2. mihaitzateo

mihaitzateo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 5, 2015
    Count Dooku is actually a Jedi Master which also uses the dark side of the Force, he is not a Sith.
    Some kind of Mace Windu, if you like.
    We never see him with Sith eyes, glowing yellow, as we seen Anakin.
    He always have a very cool head,not letting himself sunken in anger or hatred.

3. thrawn91

thrawn91 Jedi Padawan

Jan 3, 2016
    I don't think Dooku was "good" but he was not inherently "evil" either.

He was trying to overthrow Palpatine from within but Anakin had to ruin those plans of course

I always saw Dooku as more of a politician than a force user. He also had a very calm nature during his duels which were very unsith like when compared to Maul in Episode 1 and Vader in Episode 3.

Lord Sith Harloxzz and Tonyg like this.
  4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    He is a Darth: Darth Tyranus - he might often be called Lord Tyranus - but Vader is often called Lord Vader.

Emperor Ferus, Andy Wylde and Tonyg like this.
  5. xx_Anakin_xx

xx_Anakin_xx Jedi Master star 4

Jan 9, 2008
    I think if you separate star wars into white hats and black hats - and you should - then Count Dooku wore a black hat. He was the proverbial bad guy.

All this gray stuff - everyone has good and evil in them - is for real life.

Fiction has to choose because ultimately the plot twists and excitement arise from trickery (good guy pretending to be a bad guy) and conversion (bad guy turning good) in movies/books.

Fiction also must credit audiences with having a least minimal good sense. We all know nobody's perfect, but we also know that 'good guys' don't cross that line into 'evil' territory or they are bad.

I feel like sometimes fiction tries to test the edges and make a 'good guy' as bad as possible without tipping the scales - but that is nonsense. I refuse to bite. If you cross the line or WALK the line for too long, you are a bad guy.

Count Dooku became a Sith lord. The Sith are prima facie evil - that is, evil until it is proven otherwise. Whereas the reverse is true for Jedi. Dooku was a Jedi; he knew that the opposite of that was Sith. He knew what their goals were - and those goals were evil. You can't be in it, but not of it.

Darth Tyranus nee Count Dooku was definitely a bad guy.

jakobitis89 and theraphos like this.
  6. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Is Dooku older than Palpatine? How could someone like Dooku be influenced by someone like Palpatine, I'd love to see that back story.

Erkan12 likes this.
  7. The Jedi of the time prequels were corrupt and arrogant were more involved in matters of politics than in the own force

Many of these causes caused Dooku to abandon the Jedi Order and his former apprentice Qui Gon Jinn was aware of this

Dooku was a respected Jedi Master within the Jedi Order, so many were surprised to see him again as a Sith Lord

Maybe Dooku started with good intentions but ended up being corrupted by the dark side of the Force

Dooku was perhaps never a good boy at all in the sense of the word but was aware of the corruption of the Republic and was willing to murder his Master as well

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  8. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Dooku was blind enough to not see that he was just a placeholder until Anakin grows powerful enough.

9. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    There's no age limit for someone to fall for an offer of more/greater power.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  10. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Dooku is definitely an antagonist but I would say he is the least evil of the villains we've seen in the films. He definitely has a lot of support in the form of the CIS. He genuinely believed the Republic was corrupt and wanted to save it.

However, he was going to willingly participate in the genocide of the Jedi (he was aware of Order 66, after all). It would be interesting to see what his long term goals were if Palpatine didn't have him killed. The Death Star seems a bit too extreme for someone like Dooku.

whostheBossk likes this.
  11. theraphos

theraphos Jedi Knight star 2

May 20, 2016
    Dooku ordered a weapons test on unarmed civilians during the Clone Wars (TCW s1, Defenders of Peace). He also knew about the DS (AotC) and was involved in the project. I think he's more extreme - and evil - than people give him credit for, just because he's not cackling and eating babies.

12. DBPirate

Jun 20, 2015
    I know that he knew about the Death Star but we don't know if he was actually intending to blow up planets with it. But I'll give you that weapons test point. I forgot about that episode.

13. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    ?!? How exactly wouldn't he know that? It was the very purpose of "the ultimate weapon".

Andy Wylde likes this.
  14. DBPirate

Jun 20, 2015
    I said we don't know. That was the purpose but I feel like Dooku's more of a person who would use it for intimidation rather than actually using it.

15. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Using it for intimidation can still be evil. "Do as I say or I'll blow up your planet" is evil. Even the most "benign" intimidation, as deterrence, can't really be described as good.

This thread is terrible, btw. None of the four "reasons" in the OP are arguments for someone being good. Telling someone your plan doesn't make you good (especially if your plan is evil). Following through on that plan, which Dooku didn't anyway, doesn't make you good, either. "Not Jedi" doesn't make someone good. The Sith not being inherently evil, while debatable, isn't an argument for Dooku being good. "Not inherently evil" doesn't mean good.

The OP looks like copypasta, anyway.

Andy Wylde, Deliveranze and theraphos like this.
  16. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012
    Dooku played his part in orchestrating a war that he knew would kill billions and ravage worlds. What exactly gives you the impression he wouldn't use a Death Star to kill billions and ravage worlds?

Andy Wylde, theraphos and Alexrd like this.
  17. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    RIght.

How exactly wouldn't we know that? It was the very purpose of "the ultimate weapon".

Why? And wouldn't intimidation require using it at least once?

Andy Wylde likes this.
  18. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    As far as the Death Star was concerned, Dooku's beliefs seemed on par with Tarkin's. Throughout his canon appearances, we see Dooku believing in the use of fear and intimidation, but he also is willing to use the club. If he can threaten to destroy a planet,then he's as evil as someone who does.

19. Darth Sith Saber

Darth Sith Saber Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 24, 2016
    With regards to a point in the OP, what gets me is that Obiwan and the council didn't take what Dooku said more seriously. Sure he was most likely (from their POV) lying, but this chancellor constantly acting shifty and gaining more and more power, winning Anakin over slyly and imposing himself on the Jedi Council should have raised suspicions and Obiwan should have recalled what Dooku said, especially when someone says "I sense a plot to destroy the Jedi" but may as well have said "I like gravy on my beef" for all the reaction it elicited from the Jedi.

Surely someone should have looked into the matter... In TCW Palpatine starts to reveal himself as shifty and untrustworthy and in ROTS he doesn't have anywhere near as much trust from the Jedi as he had in the two previous films, yet no one suspects a thing or thinks to look further into Dooku's words in conjunction with the sensed plot to destroy the Jedi...

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  20. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I can't speak the Jedi's failure to investigate Palpatine. But after Geonosis the Jedi know the following:

1. Count Dooku captured Obi-Wan and tried to get him to join him.

2. Count Dooku ordered the execution of a Jedi Knight and his Padawan. When other Jedi intervened to stop it, Dooku unleashed battle droids on them, killing most of the two hundred Jedi present.

3. Dooku uses Force Lightning on the Jedi that try to capture him.

Coming off of Geonosis, the Jedi know that Count Dooku is a Sith Lord who is uniting the commercial organizations in order to destroy the Republic through war. The Jedi have no reason to believe anything the Sith Lord says. He proved on Geonosis that he desires only their destruction and the conquest of the Republic.

21. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    But the Jedi know all about the Sith. They know the dynamic between apprentice and master. They would, or should, infer that Dooku was attempting to recruit Obi Wan and make him his apprentice with which to usurp his master.

22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Given how old Dooku is, they might have presumed for a while that Dooku was Maul's master, creating a mythical "Darth Sidious" when he himself is the real Master Sith Lord.

23. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    In fact, that's exactly what they believe, for a time.

[​IMG]

It's only after Vos goes undercover and becomes Dooku's apprentice that he gets an actual look at Darth Sidious in the holographic flesh.

whostheBossk and Iron_lord like this.
  24. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Didn't Anakin and Obi-Wan actually find themselves face to face with him when he rescued Dooku from them during Dark Disciple? The book is vague on exactly how Sidious accomplished the rescue.

And of course Yoda saw him in visions in TCW Season 6 finale, though not in the flesh.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  25. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    Actually it's pretty clear.

-Dooku kills Ventress
    -Obi-Wan and Anakin break in, Dooku runs away. Droids attack. Vos helps the Jedi fight them. By the time the fighting is over, Dooku has vanished. Sidious likely sent a stealth craft for Dooku and the Count made his getaway. Obi-Wan and Anakin never see Sidious.