main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Count Dooku's claim 'Sith Lack Fear...'

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Sith Camp, May 18, 2015.

1. The Sith Camp

The Sith Camp Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 10, 2015
    Again apologies for Force-Induced-Trollination of Stupidity (FITS) BUT I came to reading a book called Star Wars and Philosophy - More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine -by a friend of mine about Star Wars philosophy about the Force and aspects of Star Wars concepts BUT it was stated that a difference between Dark Jedi and Sith were that well - Sith 'lack Fear' and they know how to use and apply Fear; and for the matter in Wookiepedia that Sith know how to use Fear and Dark Jedi well ... they're bottom line ... just not of 'Sith stock' the way Count Dooku see's it anyhow ... and also Darth Plagueis in the Darth Plagueis novel ... but isn't it ironic that Sith in the end DO NOT LACK FEAR but rather they are full of it anyhow and that their fears being either being scared of being dead or scared of being dead AND losing their Powers and that was the case of Darth Plagueis anyhow as Palpatine claimed in the Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise ...

2. JechtShotMK9

JechtShotMK9 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 27, 2013
    I seem to recall Dooku's "Sith have no fear" line being from when he met Ventress in the original Clone Wars shorts. Do you mind pointing out where it appears elsewhere?

3. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Besides one can't use what one doesn't possess so to me Lee trumps a cartoon.

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In the RoTS novel's extended version of Palpatine & Anakin's conversation at the opera:

"Evil is a label we all put on those who threaten us, isn't it? Yet the Sith and the Jedi are similar in almost every way, including their quest for greater power.""
    "The Jedi's quest is for greater understanding," Anakin countered. "For greater knowledge of the Force-"
    "Which brings with it greater power, does it not?"
    "Well ... yes." Anakin had to laugh. "I should know better than to argue with a politician."
    "We're not arguing, Anakin. We're just talking." Palpatine shifted his weight, settling in comfortably. "Perhaps the real difference between the Jedi and the Sith is only in their orientation; a Jedi gains power through understanding, and a Sith gains understanding through power. This is the true reason the Sith have always been more powerful than the Jedi. The Jedi fear the dark side so much they cut themselves off from the most important aspect of life: passion. Of any kind. They don't even allow themselves to love."
    Except for me, Anakin thought. But then, I've never been exactly the perfect Jedi.
    "The Sith do not fear the dark side. The Sith have no fear. They embrace the whole spectrum of experience, from the heights of transcendent joy to the depths of hatred and despair. Beings have these emotions for a reason, Anakin. That is why the Sith are more powerful: they are not afraid to feel."
    "The Sith rely on passion for strength," Anakin said, "but when that passion runs dry, what's left?"
    "Perhaps nothing. Perhaps a great deal. Perhaps it never runs dry at all. Who can say?"
    "They think inward, only about themselves."
    "And the Jedi don't?"
    "The Jedi are selfless- we erase the self, to join with the flow of the Force. We care only about others ..."
    Palpatine again gave him that smile of gentle wisdom. "Or so you've been trained to believe. I hear the voice of Obi-Wan Kenobi in your answers, Anakin. What do you really think?"
    Anakin suddenly found the ballet a great deal more interesting than Palpatine's face. "I ... don't know any more."

5. JechtShotMK9

JechtShotMK9 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 27, 2013
    'Preciate it. I'm gonna go drool all over my copy of RotS now. Just got the Acts of Caine series, and I need to get back into the Stover mood.

Dante1120 and Iron_lord like this.
  6. The Sith Camp

Mar 10, 2015
    Well - this might not help 100% BUT in ROTS notice in the duel with Anakin where Count Dooku applied Dun Moch he taunts Anakin going 'you have FEAR SKYWALKER ... BUT YOU DO NOT KNOW HOW TO USE IT!' or something like that ... implying that Sith somewhat know how to apply their Fear and such compared to those who are walking close on the border to the Dark Side of the Force ... :(

Erkan12 likes this.
  7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It's:

"I sense great fear in you, Skywalker. You have anger. You have hate. But you don't use them."

In the novelization, however, it's:

Dooku: I sense great fear in you. You are consumed by it. Hero With No Fear indeed. You're a fraud, Skywalker. You are nothing but a posturing child. Aren't you a little old to be afraid of the dark?
    (Anakin starts to lose the edge in the fight)
    Palpatine: Don't fear what you're feeling, Anakin, use it! Call upon your fury. Focus it, and he cannot stand against you. Rage is your weapon. Strike now! Strike! Kill him!
    (Anakin defeats Dooku, cutting off both his hands in the process)

8. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Fear is the necessary tool for the Sith, all Sith possess fear, that is why they are more powerful, as Plagueis said, Sith are more powerful because they don't afraid to ''feel'' they feel every emotion.

Yoda says fear leads to the dark side.

Again,

Lord Maul states that fear is his ally.

Barriss_Coffee and Iron_lord like this.
  9. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    One thing I used to think was that the Sith Code's use of the term "passion" equated to all emotions. As in, being passionate about something, which elicits strong feelings, both positive or negative -- in this case, "I fear this thing with a passion."

So when the code goes...

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

...fear is just one more tool that allows them to accrue Passion points as they level up the system.

10. The Sith Camp

Mar 10, 2015

But isn't the fact in the end the only 'True Reality' of the Sith really is just Anger, Fear and Treachery and cycles of Raw Endless Violence then? Given the Sith physically do not wish to die for the matter ... well by default - looking at Darth Sion - reduced to a walking talking rage roid builder on Dark-Side fueled steroids to Palpatine being 'Forced' to rely on Essence Transfer and yet physically you get ravaged in a nasty manner and matter ... so much for the Passion eh? Yet the Jedi want Compassion by default and Selflessness ...

11. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Sociopaths don't feel fear (or only very weakly), that is correct and well known. Palpatine and Plagueis strike me as natural sociopaths, so I don't think they know fear, Maul, Vader and Dooku don't (though I am not sure about Dooku). Therefore, my conclusion is that some Sith don't feel fear and others do. Those who don't probably feel superior to those that do, but I don't think they are justified in thinking this. Fear is an important motivator and humanity wouldn't have come so far if it didn't know fear. If Palpatine had feared what Vader would do, he wouldn't have turned his back on him while blitzing Luke.