main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Count to Ten (one time post for the April Vig Challenge)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Takianna, Apr 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Takianna

Takianna Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    Title:Count to Ten
    Author(s):Takianna
    Timeframe:pre TPM
    Characters:Obi-wan Kenobi and Qui-gon Jinn
    Genre:Fun for April Vig Challenge
    Keywords:April Vig Challenge
    Summary:Games masters and padawans play.

Count to Ten

Obi-wan was hiding. Not well, but it didn?t matter. He knew his master was looking for him. The hanger bay was full of nooks and crannies were a youngling could get lost. In this case, Obi-wan had shimmied into a narrow crevice between two shipping containers. His arm still stuck out a bit from in between them, but he didn?t care. It was the exercise which was important in this case.

Master Jinn had asked Obi-wan to hide, but not only in the physical realm, but inside the force as well. Something he had been taught since he could walk. It seemed easy enough. Obi-wan wrapped the force around himself and used it to guard him against his Master?s ever narrowing search pattern. The sound of his footfalls were coming closer.

Trying not to giggle, although sometimes it was hard to not laugh at his master, Obi-wan stayed crammed in between the two boxes. His breath coming quickly now as he anticipated his Master rounding the corner. Searching, but hopefully not finding him. Obi-wan squinted his eyes shut, hoping by closing his eyes he would be harder to find.

?Young Kenobi,? Qui-gon laughed. ?Where are you??

It was a singsongie call, but Obi-wan stifled the giggle which was rising in his throat. He enjoyed this game and he knew his master was always looking for new places they could play it. Obi-wan found his mind wandering to other times they had played the game. This was his undoing. As his mind wandered, his ability to stay wrapped in the force slipped away.

?Be mindful of the force,? Qui-gon said and tapped the young Obi-wan on the shoulder. ?Letting your mind wander could be the difference between life and death.?

Obi-wan pried himself from between the boxes and lowered his eyes to the ground. It was hard to win when playing against such a worthy opponent. ?I?m sorry master,? was all he could manage. It was even harder to disappoint the one who was as close as any youngling could call a parent. ?Next time I will try harder.?

Qui-gon patted Obi-wan on the shoulder. ?You do not disappoint me,? Jinn smiled at the padawan. ?This is all part of learning to become the best jedi you can become. I know it can be exasperating. We must all learn the skills we will need.?

They walked towards the turbolift which would take them back to the main level of the temple. The car whooshed to a stop and they both stepped inside. Obi-wan was thoughtful about what the hide and seek game was teaching. He knew if he thought hard enough, it would come to him and he would impress his master.

?Patience,? he said timidly at first. ?The game is not to teach us to hide. We can do that skill from the time we are about five. It?s about patience.?

Qui-gon nodded approvingly. A wide smile spread across his face and settled into his eyes. Something Obi-wan enjoyed seeing. ?You are correct padawan. The exercise is to show you sometimes you will have to wait on your opponent. Patience in everything we do.?

Obi-wan stood silently and reveled in the fact he was finally right about something. He would have to make sure to tell the other padawans. Sometimes they gave each other a ?heads-up? about what they were to learn from certain exercises. It was a short cut for many of them to get past some of the harder tasks. They didn?t speak about it to their masters though. It was an unwritten rule and nobody broke it.

?Will we always be together?? Obi-wan blurted out and looked at his master. He was embarrassed by the change of subject so quickly. The words had just tumbled from his mouth.

?What do you mean? Do you wonder if I will always be here?? Jinn asked. ?I may not always be with you physically. I will always be with you in the force.?

There was a long silence between them. The turbolift car came to an abrupt halt.

2. JediKaren

JediKaren Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 26, 2007
    This is really good! I really liked this.

3. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Loved it great writing.=D=

4. Ghost_Of_Tatooine

Ghost_Of_Tatooine Jedi Knight

Mar 19, 2008
    Qui-Gon shows great wisdom!
    What better way to teach a young one than through 'play'!

=D=

5. Qui-Gina-Jinn

Qui-Gina-Jinn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 2, 2003
    Brilliant!
    Loved it - am almost sad it's just a viggie...

6. Takianna

Takianna Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    Who knows maybe someday it could go further. Thanks to everyone for the great show of support.

7. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Awwwww....that was so sweet!

And very typical of Qui-Gon to use a game to teach Obi-Wan.

I may not always be with you physically. I will always be with you in the force.

Very poignant.

Great response to the challenge

=D= =D= =D= =D=

8. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    Great entry! :D I just loved the idea of using 'Hide-and-go-Seek' to teach the idea of patience. :)

9. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Well done. I liked the idea of hide and seek being about patience!

Great job.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.