main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oregon Countdown to the Original "Unaltered" Trilogy on DVD

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by crashdown, Jul 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brigandarklung

brigandarklung Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 9, 2005
    My turn, 45 to go...

2. TatooineForceRecon

TatooineForceRecon Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 20, 2006
    Don't hold back, dude. Tell us how you really feel.[face_laugh]

3. crashdown

crashdown Jedi Master star 4

Nov 6, 2003
    I MISS YOU BOWEN !!!

4. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    HAHA, sorry I didn't mean to sound rude or step on anyone's toes. If those are the movies that do it for you because you remember them from theaters as a kid, great, but I will say one thing...

When people tell me, "Those are the movies I grew up with," I look at them kind of funny -- I grew up with them too! DUH. I'm 23, I watched the OT on VHS all of the time, and it was not the Special Editions or even the THX versions, which I never owned, it was the old school OT. I loved the movies. But for me, anyway, and I speak just for myself, I have been happy with the new changes as they have come because they represent tweaks I thought were useful to the story (even visual changes that "open up" the worlds of Star Wars). So as I watched those new versions, they gradually became the ones I was now used to seeing. Same was true of TPM. I saw that movie 50 times in theaters, but when they changed it for the DVD release I absolutely loved what they added, the longer podrace for me was a delight as I just loved that entire sequence and couldn't get enough. Some people call it too long, I say just perfect!

Another situation this reminds me of is "Who is the best James Bond?" I always say it's PIerce Brosnan because to me he is most like how I'd imagine Bond being, he's the best Bond in my opinion. Does that mean he made all the best Bond movies? Clearly, no. I liked the four he made, to varying degrees (I enjoyed them all, unlike some people, they were all at least solid B movies and Goldeneye was more like an A- to A movie). So then people always say, "Well see, I grew up with Sean Connery as Bond, so to me he's the real Bond." Huh? I grew up with him as Bond, too, silly! When I was a young boy I repeatedly re-rented all of the Bond movies, and I loved most of them, so to me of course Sean Connery was also the truest Bond of the time.

Perhaps I'm just less influenced by nostalgia than most people -- I am readily willing to rethink what I previously believed and supplant what I thought with something new. So I'm perfectly fine with saying Brosnan is the best Bond because I believe it to be true objectively, even though I grew up with Sean Connery too. I'm fine with admitting the Special Editions (and later the DVD versions) of the OT are actually improvements in most respects (I do not care about who shoots first, though, to me that's a stupid debate, the stupidest debate in fact, because it doesn't make any difference to Han's character -- so I take sides with nobody, since I think Lucas shouldn't have changed it because it was fine as is, but I think it doesn't matter that he did change it and fans should stop complaining because it's insigificant either way; i.e. Lucas is wrong that it matters, and so are the fans, but if that's the way Lucas wants it then it's his work so whatever).

Just my 2 bucks [2 cents won't buy you anything now days!] ;)

5. crashdown

Nov 6, 2003
    44 days left [face_dancing]

-------------

Bowen, I think all us "Unaltered Trilogy" folks want is to have a good copy of the unaltered films on DVD. We are more than willing to pay Lucas for the effort. Whether it is good or bad, there are people like me who want the unaltered trilogy. I don't see why this has to be a debate about "why" or which is better. I only see it as a matter of give the people what they want and the people will make you richer for your effort. Putting the Unaltered Trilogy out is not going to impact all of you who don't care about it one bit.

Now, since Lucas is going to make a lot of money putting the unaltered trilogy out on DVD, I think he could at least put 2 to 3% (maybe less) of his profit to make it a good, up to date copy instead of just copying the old laser disc on DVD. Lets just end this debate by putting a GOOD copy out so that we can put this all behind us. By using the old laser disc copy, Lucas is only prolonging the controversy.

6. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Well that's the whole point, that's never going to happen, there just aren't enough people who care overall (even if it was 1 million fans) to justify the expense of cleaning up a really old film print properly and restoring it. That cost them a lot of money with the Special Editions and they aren't going to dig up the original print and fix that one properly, apparently. It just doesn't make financial or artistic sense for Lucas, unfortunately. I get your point, though, it would be nice for the fans who want it, but it's time to accept that version of the film is not meant to be seen again.

7. crashdown

Nov 6, 2003
    Bowen, most fans would be happy with an Anamorphic version. We feel that the quality of the old laser discs are fine, we just want it in Anamorphic so the image will fill up a digital TV. This Lucas can do without breaking the bank, but he just does not want to do it. Again, if he wants this controversy behind him, he will do what it takes to make us happy.

But Bowen, you are wrong...........the unaltered version is coming out on DVD in 44(ah)...43 1/2 days[face_dancing]

8. grumpydevil

grumpydevil Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 1, 2005
    My biggest gripe about this set is two-fold:
    1. LFL marketing is bundling the discs with the Special Editions, so if you already bought those (maybe because Lucas said he'd never release the OT in non-SE format), you're kind of getting screwed if you want the original editions as well.
    2. The Original Discs are basically copies of the laserdiscs. I got a copy of the Original Trilogy from an online source last year, so if you waited, you still aren't really being rewarded with a smash-bang-whallop of a DVD set.

Granted, LFL did make some improvements for the "Faces" LD set when it was released, but it just seems like an easy way to turn a buck (which he, of course, has every right to do).

As I've stated, since I didn't buy the DVDs last year, I will probably get these when they come out.

Now as far as the changes to the SE films, I like some changes, but I think others are superfluous and un-needed. But since this isn't a thread about OT vs. SE, I'll refrain from ranting about those. :D

-Kyle

9. crashdown

Nov 6, 2003
    Thank you so very much !!

10. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    I don't really think Lucas cares about "putting the controversy behind him" because they are his movies, not the fans. I know this is a common misconception, but they are in fact property of Lucasfilm and the fans do not own them or any rights to them. So who cares what the fans think? They can either appreciate what Lucasfilm does or not, it won't matter, there are plenty of fans who do like what LFL does and Star Wars is plenty big enough. I really don't think Lucas has to bend over backwards to satisfy every little niche of fans when most fans probably couldn't care less what version is available as long as it's good. Then of the two groups who do care, the larger group would rather have the newer versions, not the old ones. You can make some of the people happy all of the time, and all of the people happy some of some of the time, but you can't make all of the people happy all of the time ;)

11. grumpydevil

Oct 1, 2005
    All I know is that when I heard about all the changes in 2004, I decided not to buy the set.

Now, two years later, I have seen the versions, but still do not own them. If the original trilogy were to be sold separately from the from the special edition, and I had to choose, I'd still buy the original trilogy.

I don't necessarily agree or disagree with your statement about the two groups, though, Bowen. That kind of statement would be nearly impossible to back up unless the OT was not bundled with the SE versions. Then you could at least run a decent comparison between sales of the two.

Oh and I think I'm going to have to take issue with this comment:
    [image=http://www.freak23.com/jedi/fake.jpg]

I think that'll clear up any "misconceptions" anyone might have about the fact... [face_dancing]

-Kyle

12. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    I stand corrected. ;)

13. crashdown

Nov 6, 2003
    I think an actual side-by-side comparision is the last thing that Lucas want !!

OK everyone, now that we know "WHO" to blame for all of the world problems (or at least Star Wars related problems), I just want to say one think.....

"NO KYLE BASHING IS ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM !!!"

14. TatooineForceRecon

Apr 20, 2006
    Then why are we here?:D

15. crashdown

Nov 6, 2003
    Well OK, you can bash Kyle a little. But if he starts crying you have to stop.:p

16. grumpydevil

Oct 1, 2005
    Oh crap, Rob! Your helmet just fell off my table, rolled out my door, down the stairs and the street, gathered a lot of momentum, hopped on a passing train and got kicked by a hobo into the Willamette river!!! :p

-Kyle

17. Larena_Jade

Larena_Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2002
    hahaha..... I have no words for this. The "unaltered" trilogy on DVD....that's AWESOME and GREAT and FUNNY and darn near PATHETIC! yes! [face_dancing]

18. crashdown

Nov 6, 2003
    Since no one else wants to do it....

43 days[face_dancing]

19. TatooineForceRecon

Apr 20, 2006
    42 days [face_dancing] Start saving Bowen!![face_laugh]

20. Larena_Jade

Nov 19, 2002
    41 days until destruction

21. Larena_Jade

Nov 19, 2002
    40 DAY(S) [face_cowboy]

22. crashdown

Nov 6, 2003

Yes, Bowen WILL buy them. It will make him ill, but he will buy them........Bowen is a collector!![face_money_eyes]

23. Larena_Jade

Nov 19, 2002

24. TatooineForceRecon

Apr 20, 2006
    Uh....38 and 37 more days=D=

25. crashdown

Nov 6, 2003
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.