main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Counting Stars (Post-FOTJ, K/J) Completed 8/19/16

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Dantana Skywalker, Jan 25, 2016.

1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Happy, delicious sighs! Love his basking. It's a beautiful thing and a rare gift to feel such bone-deep happiness. :)

2. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    --Tears--

Kyp's never been completely sure when his actual lifeday is. He was young enough when his parents died that he knows the general time of year, but doesn't know the exact day. When he got out of Kessel, he picked a day that was "close enough". No one argued or questioned it, so it's been the observed day for nearly forty years. For his fifty-first lifeday, he and Jaina had marked the occasion with a small, private dinner, since they'd still been hiding their relationship at the time. This year, Han throws a proper party, as Kyp is his son-in-law now.

Three days after Kyp's fifty-second lifeday, Jaina goes into labour. It's a hard seventeen hours, with Jaina barking obscenities at her husband during the worst parts, but at the end of it, a squalling, red-faced and wrinkly Kyrie Durron emerges. Jaina bursts into tears and apologises profusely to Kyp as they hold the baby. Grinning broadly, Kyp points out it's not the first time she's called him names and probably won't be the last.

As Jaina rests, Kyp sits by her bed in the medical ward, Kyrie in his arms. Her little head is covered with dark fuzz, and she holds his finger tightly in sleep.

Han comes in and pulls up a chair. “I remember when Jaina was that little,” he says. “One of the best days of my life. You think you're prepared for it, but when you get to hold your baby… There's nothing like it.”

Kyp shakes his head. When he looks up at his father-in-law, his eyes are shiny with unshed tears. “No,” he says thickly. “There isn't.”

Han holds out his hands. “You mind if I hold her?”

The new father carefully passes the infant over. As he watches Han settle Kyrie against his chest, he says, “I never thanked you.”

“For what?”

“Being there for me that night.”

Han frowns a little in confusion, then realises what night Kyp is referring to: the night of Jaina's wedding to Jag, when Kyp got completely smashed in an effort to drown his sorrow. “Oh. No need to thank me, kid. Even if it took Jaina a long time to see it, you've always been family. Family looks out for each other.”

Propping his chin on his hand, elbow on the arm of the chair, Kyp watches Han rock his newborn granddaughter. “Still. That was the lowest I've been since… Since Carida, and both times, you've been there for me. I really appreciate it, Han. You've been family when I had no one else.”

“You're stuck with us now,” the older man says gruffly.

“I'm not going anywhere,” Kyp assures him.

Han nods. He smooths a few bits of hair on Kyrie’s head that stick up. Kyp isn't going to tell him it's useless, that his daughter has inherited his curls. “You know, when I realised you were in love with Jaina, back on Borleias, I knew I didn't need to worry about her as much. Because I had been. I saw what was happening to her and there wasn't a damned thing I could do about it. We'd just lost our boys, and I was terrified something would happen to Jaina, until I saw the way you looked at her. I knew you'd never let her get hurt. You brought her back to us.”

He looks up at Kyp. “I know she picked that idiot over you. She even told me you'd, ah, expressed interest in her. Never could understand why she chose Jag, myself. I wanted you for my son-in-law. It's hard, being a father. You gotta let your kids make their own mistakes. I just hoped she'd see the light one day. I been watching you two dance around each other for years. When I figured out you'd finally got together, all I could think was that it was about damn time. I didn't even mind when you eloped.”

Kyp grins sheepishly. “Yes, I absconded with your daughter.”

Han snorts. “Shoulda done it years ago, if you ask me. But I'm kinda glad you've always put her first, even if it hurt you. A father needs to know someone loves his little girl as much as he does.”

The younger man nods. He looks at Kyrie, blissfully sleeping in her grandfather’s arms, and knows what Han means. He would do anything for his little girl, and her mother, and hopes that someday, Kyrie will find someone who loves her just as much. She's so special, she deserves nothing less.

They sit in silence for a while longer, until Han rises and hands Kyrie back to her father. "I'll go, let you guys get some rest," he murmurs, and takes his leave.

Kyp cuddles Kyrie close, studying the tiny lashes fanned on her little cheeks. One of the happy tears he's been holding back splashes on her cheek, and he gently wipes it away.

Jaina stirs, waking with a small groan. She sees him holding the baby and offers a wan smile. "Hey. How is she?"

"She's perfect. How are you?"

"Exhausted. Sore in places I didn't know I had."

He reaches over and strokes her hair. "Go back to sleep, sweetheart. You earned it."

Jaina nods, closing her eyes. "Wanna hold her."

"You did. And you will. Rest now. I've got you both."

bellum stellarum likes this.
  3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    I'm one happy sloshy gooey puddle. Thanks. :D [face_love] Oh sweet and beautiful moments there and exquisite use of "Tears." [:D]

Love the honesty in the family-talk and the warmth.

4. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Last one! I'm working on a sequel, but I'm not sure when I'll be posting it. I'm thinking of doing another of these prompt challenges for it.

-----------------------------------------

--Eternal--

They're outside, taking a walk with the baby for the first time. Kyp holds Kyrie close, telling her about everything around them even though the infant is asleep and wouldn't understand anyway. Jaina thinks it's the cutest thing she's ever seen. Of course, she's probably biased.

A cargo freighter banks low overhead, turning to approach the landing field on the other side of the base. Jaina watches it idly.

"And over here is the garden where Mommy and Daddy have had lots of conversations," he's saying now. "I was going to ask Mommy to marry me here, but she got to it first."

Jaina grins. Kyp has been nothing but a very devoted father since Kyrie's birth, even handling diaper duty with a relatively cheerful nature. No one relishes diaper duty, but he hasn't complained once. And their daughter is definitely a daddy's girl. Jaina can calm her well enough, but Kyp's presence alone is enough to soothe the baby.

His commlink goes off, interrupting her musing and his tour guide monologue. Holding Kyrie to his chest with one hand, he retrieves it off his belt. "Durron."

"Master Durron, this is Jedi Dorvald. There's someone here, came in on the supply ship. They say they're looking for Master Durron."

"Which one?" Kyp asks.

"I don't know. I commed you because I figure Jaina is busy."

Kyp glances her way and raises a brow. Jaina shrugs. She isn't expecting anyone. "We'll be right there."

They cut through the main building, since fences and outbuildings make the long way around very long. Kyp still has the baby, absentmindedly patting her tiny back as they walk.

"Who do you think it is?" Jaina asks.

"I honestly have no idea," he confesses.

They reach the landing field, where visitor ships come and go. The Jedi ships are in one of two hangars to either side: to the right are the X-Wings, to the left are the shuttles and personal craft of the various Jedi. In the middle, on the duracrete surface of the landing field, sits the cargo shuttle.

Kyp suddenly stops, eyes going wide, and hands Jaina the baby. Through their bond, he's projecting shock and a hesitant joy he's trying to suppress. She turns, sees Seha Dorvald standing by the cargo ship, red braid trailing down her back, talking to a tall, thin being with yellow and green mottled skin, a bulbous head, and narrow eyes. A Khommite, Jaina thinks, though she hasn't seen one in years, and suddenly she understands.

Her husband practically runs over to the newcomer, Jaina following a little more slowly so she doesn't jostle the baby. As she reaches them, she hears Kyp say, "You're from Khomm."

"I am," the being says. The voice is the same as her vague memories. "Are you Kyp Durron?"

"Yes," he says fervently. "What generation are you? 83? 84?"

"85," the Khommite says. His eyes search Kyp's face. "I am Dorsk 85. Unfortunately, Dorsk 84 perished not long after his cloning."

Jaina looks to Kyp. He practically vibrates, he's so happy. It's sad to hear of Dorsk 84's death, but all the same, this is a very big deal to her husband.

"And you're here . . ." Kyp trails off.

Dorsk 85 bobs his head. "I am told I show Force-sensitivity. I have heard tales of Dorsk 81 and 82 and their bravery, and I would like to follow in their footsteps. I was told to find you. I went to Coruscant first, but they directed me to Hapes. The Queen Mother told me to come here on this supply ship. Am I . . . welcome here?"

Kyp grins broadly. "Oh, yes. Dorsks 81 and 82 were two of my best friends. You are very, very welcome here, Dorsk 85."

He holds out his hand, and after a moment, the alien shakes it. Jaina hides her smile by kissing the top of Kyrie's fuzzy head.

The two males turn and go into the building. Jaina lingers by Seha for a moment, to give them some space.

"Who is that?" the younger Jedi asks.

"Oh Khomm, they reproduce by cloning," Jaina tells her. "When Kyp was at the academy, he was friends with Dorsk 81, who died. Dorsk 82 came to learn, and he was Kyp's best friend until he died, too, during the war against the Yuuzhan Vong. Kyp also knew Dorsk 83. Dorsk 85 is . . . well, technically, he's Dorsk 82's great-grandson."

"Wow." Seha doesn't seem to know what else to say, so she goes back to checking the manifest lists for the cargo shipment.

Jaina heads back into the building. To Kyrie, she says, "Some things don't end when we die. The Force, Kyrie, is a very powerful thing. It binds us all, and it keeps love going, even after death. And that, my darling girl, makes all we endure worth it."

Kyrie blinks dark eyes for a moment, then falls back asleep. Jaina brushes her lips over the wispy hairs on her daughter's head, and goes to find her husband.

--end--

5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Cool meeting Dorsk #85. ;) Sweet with Kyrie. Thanks for sharing these and any sequel anytime will be SQUEE-licious. @};- :)

6. mulberry

mulberry Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 20, 2009
    That was a lovely ending.

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  7. master_jade

master_jade Jedi Master star 2

Jan 27, 2006
    Wow, since I've read the whole story in a one sitting, it would be difficult to mention all the beautiful excerpts, but my favourite parts have been both meetings between Jaina and Jag: the first one via holo and the second one, when he came in person to see whether it was really true that Jaina and Kyp got married. :)

Both times Jag was so pompous, what with calling Jaina "Master Solo/Master Durron" and insisting on being called Emperor Fel - that it was simply hilarious. Jag came as an imperial to the bone, stiff and all. And control freak - as Jaina duly noted in her conversation with Tahiri. (Btw. I like the idea of Tahiri as Emperor's Hand - and possibly the founder of Imperial Knights of the Fel Empire? And her remark about Star Destroyers' decks being cold and Jag not being open to installing floor heating was really funny. Plus I like the idea of her in an imperial uniform).

But the best lines in my opinion were those:
    Unhand as in "I'll chop Your hand off in a typical SW fashion", I presume? :D
    And calling Jag, of all people, living avatar of the Force is just too much.

I have an impression that this is a rewrite of the conversation from the (in)famous rooftop picnic on Borleias... Nice shot. ;)

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  8. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    It kinda is a revisitation of that conversation, yeah.

interesting you should mention the Imperial Knights, who apparently used white lightsabers. Tahiri's lightsaber, since leaving the Jedi back when she followed Jacen, has been white.