main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Couple of questions...

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by DarthWolvo23, Feb 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthWolvo23

DarthWolvo23 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    A couple of questions that popped into my head:

1a. In ROTS when Anakin tells Padme he will kill Palpatine and they can rule the galaxy together has he forgot that apparently he needs Palpatine to keep Padme alive? I know this ultimately was untrue but at this point in the story Anakin should still BELIEVE he needs Palpatine alive.

Indeed if all Anakin thought he needed to do to achieve this power over life and death was to go on a murderous rampage what part does Palpatine play in his knowledge to Sith power at all? Where does any sith training take place? Palpatine is merely a catalyst.

1b. Why is Palpatine so bothered about turning Anakin to the darkside? Is it because he truly believes together they can learn to cheat death or does he just want a powerful sucessor for his Empire if he fails to cheat death?

2. A separate point...Why does Obi Wam wait 3 years in between ANH and TESB to conatct Luke and tell him to travel to Dagobah?

And in that time why not mention that Leia should also go and begin her training to?

Cheers for any answers or thoughts guys

2. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    1a. I think he plans to learn all he can from Palpatine about keeping Padme alive, and then kill Palpatine. Anakin doesn't care that much about Palpatine and he turned to the Dark Side out of desperation; I also think that at that point, he had figured out that Palpatine was not the friend he had pretended to be for 13 years.

1b. I think the murderous rampage was supposed to be an initiation of some sort. As far as why Palpatine cared about turning Anakin, I don't think he really needed him, I think that turning the "Chosen One" to the Dark Side was just his way of giving the Jedi the finger. And trying to ensure that Anakin doesn't destroy the Sith.

2. No idea.

3. DarthWolvo23

Jan 30, 2005
    Thanks for the response

1a. So his speech to Padme meant "I can overthrow the Emporer after he has taught me for a few years and then we can rule the Galaxy?"

It doesn't make any sense cos Padme was apparently going to die in childbirth and those kids came pretty damn soon so where were Palps and Anakin going to research this power prior to Padme giving birth?

1b. Yeah I thought maybe to stop Anakin destroying the Sith but that didn't work too well! Why not just kill him?

4. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    IMO he may have thought he needed him then. It reminds me of Vader's ruminations regarding Luke in SOTE: two magnets would attract more of the dark energy than one. Certain EU indicates that Palpatine learned the ability to cheat death at some point, but even if we assume that to be true, I don't think it had happened by the time of ROTS.

5. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    1a.Exactly. And Anakin was at that point "high" from the Dark Side, thinking that he could do anything he wanted now that he is "free" from the Jedi.

1b. Exactly again. IMO, Palpatine doesn't need Anakin for anything. But turning the bright young Jedi into a Sith, corrupting him and creating a monster, was Palpatine's way to take revenge from the Jedi (and probably, he obtained a certain sadistic pleasure on watching Anakin pathetically pledging himself)

2. There's nothing in the movies suggesting that it has been 3 years since the destruction of the Death Star ;)

6. DarthWolvo23

Jan 30, 2005
    But in the established timeline TESB is 3 years after ANH.

Even if we ignore that, The Jedi still decide not to train Leia UNLESS Luke fails.

Why not train both?

After all they think there are 2 Sith to destroy.

7. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    1b. Palpatine needed someone very powerful to use as a pawn. Once he had Vader, he could sit back in his throne and make Vader do all the work. The sith "use" their apprentices just to serve themselves. The Sith are completely selfish; both the master and the apprentice.

As for the whole power over life death thing... Palpatine never intended to teach Anakin because he didn't know how. It was just a trick. He probably sensed that there was some way to retain your identity after death like we see in the OT, but I don't think he knew how to save Padme at all.

2. I think Obi-Wan was nervous about Luke. He saw what happened to Anakin and he wanted to wait until he thought Luke was truly ready before he continued his training with Yoda. As for Leia, maybe Obi-Wan and Yoda thought they already had their hands full with one apprentice.

8. d_arblay

d_arblay Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2005
    You beat me to it :)

9. DarthWolvo23

Jan 30, 2005
    I know palps never intended to teach anakin the power to cheat death but in order for his fall to make sense we must assume anakin thought he was to be taught this power so my question is still when could this training possibly take place before the babies were to be born?

10. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    I'm assuming Padme was about seven months pregnant so there would still be a couple of months. I'm also assuming that all Anakin would need to do was "learn a power," not be given a lengthy series of lessons; thus why he was willing to go along with the murderous rampage, because Palps told him that "only then [afterwards] will you have enough power to save Padme."

As far as the previous post about Palpatine wanting Vader to do his dirty work--that makes sense, given that Palpatine never does his dirty work himself, not as Chancellor or as Emperor. And he would of course want the Jedi's "Chosen One" to do his dirty work. So he didn't necessarily need Anakin and he would have destroyed the Order without him, but he wanted him--because without him, he couldn't be a lazy ******* who sits back and takes all the credit/reaps all the benefits without actually doing anything.

11. d_arblay

d_arblay Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2005
    Well Anakin's only just completed his initiation mission when Padme comes to see him on Mustafar, remember. I imagine he thought his teaching would begin immediately after. And as anakin_girl said, Padme was not exactly due at that point. In the end she was dying and the babies had to be born prematurely for them to be saved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.