main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Courtship: A rocky start

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Gorfy, Nov 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Oh, it's awful IMO. Mon Mothma is essentially pimping Leia out for the NR. And Leia is willing to let her, for the sake of Alderaan, but more importantly, for a hot piece of ass. (Not that Isolder's ass is better than Han's. See my post above.)

It's absolutely a violation of the Leia character, so the book bugs me, despite the other cool stuff that becomes a staple of the EU.

2. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013
    I started with X-Wing Rogue Squadron at the tail end of last year and worked forward chronologically and I can honestly say it's the only one that I started and then stopped reading because it was so unabashedly awful.

Gorefiend likes this.
  3. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Wait till you hit some of the stuff after Isard's Revenge ;)

4. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009

So should we consider Isoldor the Justin Bieber of the Bantam era of Star Wars lit.

5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I see him more like the Orlando Bloom, back when the Lord of the Ring movies are coming out

6. sharkymcshark

Dec 12, 2013

I got through to I, Jedi before skipping Children of the Jedi, Planet of Twilight, and The Crystal Star on the recommendation of a friend.

Continued on until I got up to Star By Star which was so poorly written and paced that I quit about halfway through.

7. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Wait... you managed reading New Rebellion, Darksabre, the Corellia Triology and the Jedi Academy Triology and yet considered Star By Star so poorly written and paced that you quit on it? o_O

Revanfan1 likes this.
  8. sharkymcshark

Dec 12, 2013
    Actually I missed New Rebellion as well now that you mention it. Didn't mind DarkSaber - it was quite campy, and I appreciated that.

The middle bit of SBS is such a boring slogfest - from the time that the Jedi group allow themselves to be captured onwards.

9. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    i enjoy the book, especially the nightsisters, and Luke being healed from death by the force.

10. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    I too enjoyed the adventure of this book. It felt like a fantasy, not like a sci-fi story like a lot of the other Bantam-era novels do (TaB, TCS, X-Wing).

kataja likes this.
  11. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    Yes, exactly. Tarzan comes to mind - or something John Carterlike ;-P And truth is, this is definitely part of the OT spirit too. A pity really, that COPL isn't better than it is, or other might have followed...

Sarge likes this.
  12. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    One of the reasons the Witches appeal to me so much is that they're a somewhat-primitive/somewhat-contemporary (they use what modern instruments they come across) group that has the power of the Force but doesn't realize that that's what it is. In a galaxy as large and diverse as the GFFA, there is bound to be a group like this. While I like the Sci-fi aspect of Star Wars, but this pocket of difference makes it very interesting.

13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    If CoPL was adapted into a comic what do people think they should keep, what should be cut and what should they just change? Also should they, in the long tradition of adaptations, give people/places/things a new look?

14. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008

i enjoyed the novel, especially the events on Dathomir

15. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    from what i know Isolder was a pretty highborn character. He semed very much the strong, handsome male type, with lots of money. I think she was tempted a little

16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I never got the impression that Leia gave a **** about whether a man was "high born."

17. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

Are you kidding me? That's totally in character for Mon Mothma. She was doing it because an alliance with the Hapans would be a huge boon for the New Republic. Leia's and Han's feelings on the matter are irrelevant as far as she's concerned.

And actually I thought Isolder was portrayed as a pretty decent guy, which I found to be a nice twist.

Havac and Riven_JTAC like this.
  18. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Mon Mothma isn't really a likable person in the Expanded Universe.

No wonder Bel Iblis quit.

RC-1991 and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  19. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    You call it pimping out, Europe calls it a political marriage. See the 1600s through about 1900.

20. windu4

windu4 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2008
    The one thing that bothered me about Courtship and will continue to bother me for all of eternity was Han shooting Leia with the "gun of command" or "gun of will" or whatever and forces Leia to come with him to Dathomir. Not only was that out of character for Han but it also worked.

21. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Yeah that gun seems like it would have been useful more often.

22. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

Is it really out of character, though? I mean he is kind of a jerk.

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    An institution and time frame best forgotten.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Why is that time frame best forgotten? Also is it not better to remember our mistakes instead of forgetting them?

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    That's a valid point as long as the institution of arranged political marriage is portrayed as a mistake.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.