main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sth Bend, IN couting up game

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by masterwu, Jun 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MusicTrooper

MusicTrooper Jedi Master star 4

Feb 22, 2005

If I put 575 photos of this

[image=http://prblog.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/spam.jpg]

into this post, then truely I would have a lot of spam.

2. BaseDeltaZero

BaseDeltaZero Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2001
    In the year 576: The Gokturks besiege Panticapaeum in the Crimea.

Don't ask me what it means.

3. ToneLoc

ToneLoc Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002
    AIP Physics News Update Number 577: Cold Antihydrogen Atoms

PRESS RELEASE
    Date Released: Sunday, February 24, 2002
    Source: American Institute of Physics

Cold antihydrogen atoms might have been made, for the first time, in an experiment at the CERN lab, where positrons and antiprotons are brought together in a bottle made of electric and magnetic fields.

Nature allows the existence of antiparticles but hasn't seen fit to make a lot of them. Modest amounts of antiprotons show up in cosmic ray showers, and positrons (antielectrons) are forged in certain high-energy regions of the sky such as galactic nuclei.

But if larger forms of anti-matter like anti-atoms, anti-stars, and anti-galaxies were plentiful in the visible part of the universe then we would see the catastrophic gamma ray glare from places where matter brushes up against antimatter. Such radiation has not been seen and scientists must make their own anti-atoms artificially.

Making antihydrogen is difficult, however, because positrons and antiprotons, even when they can be marshaled and brought near each other, are usually going past each other too quickly for neutral atoms to form.

A few years ago a dozen or so hot antihydrogen atoms were made on the fly amid violent scattering interactions at CERN and Fermilab (Updates 253, 297). These did not dally long enough to be studied, but instead expired quickly when they crashed into detectors that established the antihydrogen's brief existence.

At CERN several experiments are devoted to making cold anti-atoms in a controlled environment amenable to detailed studies. The main goal here is to determine whether the laws of physics (gravity, quantum mechanics, relativity, etc.) apply to anti-atoms the same as they do to regular atoms.

At this week's meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) in Boston, Gerald Gabrielse of Harvard, spokesperson for the Antihydrogen Trap Collaboration (ATRAP), reported new results.

In this experiment 6-MeV antiprotons (themselves made by smashing a beam of protons into a target) are slowed by a factor of 10 billion (to an equivalent temperature of 4 K), partly by mixing them with cold electrons, and then collected in a trap. Positrons from the decay of sodium-22 nuclei are cooled and collected at the other end of the device. Eventually about 300,000 positrons are electrically nudged into the vicinity of about 50,000 antiprotons.

Gabrielse believes that what sits in the trap isn't entirely a neutral plasma consisting of coincident positron and antiproton clouds, and that cold antihydrogen atoms might have formed. More diagnostic equipment being installed now may settle the issue in the coming months. A larger version of the ATRAP apparatus, which might be in operation as early as this fall, should allow the researchers to introduce some lasers for the purpose of studying the spectroscopy of prospective anti-hydrogen atoms in the trap.

send to a friend

4. CarboniteHan

CarboniteHan Jedi Knight star 3

May 11, 2007

Did anyone actually read 577?

5. BaseDeltaZero

BaseDeltaZero Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2001
    579=5.7.9 is a nationl retail apparel chain operationg in the US and Puerto Rico, carring trendy junior clothing, featuring sizes 00-9.

No, I did not read 577 as it was..well...boring. And you did not reference anything for 578 so here is something:

6. Xmaveric

Xmaveric Jedi Master star 5

Nov 25, 2000
    580 - Five hundred and eighty replies to this thread have mostly been spam. To counteract this movement, I am posting a reply with some substance, some meat, some panache if you will.

7. garbagge59

garbagge59 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 23, 2004

i can write meat and stuff in my post too. and is spam technically meat?

8. Xmaveric

Nov 25, 2000
    582 times have you watched my sister, too long have you haunted her steps.

9. garbagge59

Nov 23, 2004
    ...and i would walk 583 miles, and i would walk 583 more

10. Xmaveric

Nov 25, 2000
    One of the most successful projects of the MIT Radiation Laboratory in microwave radar was the SCR-584 radar, an anti-aircraft gun laying system. This feat was accomplished under the guidance of Ivan Getting and Louis Ridenour, although many very brillant individuals were also involved.

This page is a memorial to their genius, a virtual obelisk raised in their honor. Though my career in radar and microwave radio began 42 years after the SCR-584 became operational, I feel a certain connection to their genius. In my studies of the Radiation Laboratory journals, I am humbled by the accomplishments of this team. The SCR-584 and its technology are a monument to the Gemini-twin philiosophies of Ockham's Razor and KISS. In an age when it was an accomplishment to get a thousand vacuum tubes to function for more than a few hours, the Rad-Labbers, by dint of God-given talent, hard work, and the genius of simplicity, wrought a beautifully-simple and deadly-accurate radar which won a war, and inspired a generation of radar designers.

I also hope to honor the brave GI's who operated the SCR-584 in World War II, and those who used the '584 in the "Golden Age" of aircraft and missiles, beating a WW-II sword into a Cold-War plowshare. Tell your SCR-584 stories, one and all, so that the world may learn what was done for the protection and prosperity of the United States of America, and free peoples around the world.

11. garbagge59

Nov 23, 2004
    585 bottles of beer on the wall, 585 bottles of beer...

12. CarboniteHan

May 11, 2007
    Cap a new bottle, put it on the wall, 586 bottles of beer on the wall.

13. Xmaveric

Nov 25, 2000
    The National Transportation Safety Board dispatched a full Go Team on Monday, November 12, 2001 to the site of the crash that day of American Airlines flight 587, an Airbus A-300, N14053, which had just taken off from Kennedy International Airport in New York for the Dominican Republic. The airliner crashed into a neighborhood in Belle Harbor, New York. The engines and some tail components were found some distance from the main wreckage site. Both the Cockpit Voice Recorder (CVR) and Flight Data Recorder (FDR) were recovered.

The Safety Board dispatched approximately 40 personnel to the scene, working under the direction of Investigator-in-Charge Robert Benzon. Among the investigative groups that comprise the NTSB team are Operations, Witnesses, Structures, Power Plants, Systems, Air Traffic Control, Weather, Aircraft Performance, Cockpit Voice Recorder and Flight Data Recorder.

Parties to the investigation are the Federal Aviation Administration, American Airlines, General Electric Engines, Allied Pilots Association, the National Air Traffic Controllers Association, and the Association of Professional Flight Attendants. In addition, as the aircraft was manufactured in France, the Safety Board's counterpart agency, the Bureau Enquêtes Accidents, is the Accredited Representative to the investigation under the rules of the International Civil Aviation Organization. Airbus Industries is an advisor to the BEA.

[image=http://www.ntsb.gov/events/2001/AA587/587webphoto.jpg]

14. MusicTrooper

Feb 22, 2005
    588....is a number somewhere on this photo,

[image=http://www.library.cornell.edu/preservation/kodak/kodak-appendices/images/dimension.jpg]

15. CarboniteHan

May 11, 2007
    589 is a lonely number.

16. garbagge59

Nov 23, 2004
    garbagge590 is not as cool as garbagge59

17. Xmaveric

Nov 25, 2000
    This thread has 591 reasons for me to quit smoking crack.

18. MusicTrooper

Feb 22, 2005

an issue number for many comics,

here I hope is one,

[image=http://i7.ebayimg.com/02/i/03/df/29/3d_1_b.JPG]

19. Xmaveric

Nov 25, 2000
    http://caalpost593.org/

20. MusicTrooper

Feb 22, 2005

This lego set has 594 elements

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/9380

21. Xmaveric

Nov 25, 2000
  22. MusicTrooper

Feb 22, 2005

Not as secrect as 595, but still kinda geekly(cryptolect) classified:)

test

23. Xmaveric

Nov 25, 2000
    http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/rimfire_rifles/model_597/model_597.asp

24. MusicTrooper

Feb 22, 2005

Ceti 597

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ceti_597

from wookieepedia

Ceti 597 was a planet in the Mid-Rim area

25. MusicTrooper

Feb 22, 2005
    598....a bus I caught once.....and now that I read this I wonder why we say we
    caught a bus....oh well, here's the photo:)

[image=http://www.mehva.org/bus/598b.jpg]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.