main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Cowgirl's Drabble Roundup: UDC VIII & Beyond

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Cowgirl Jedi 1701, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    If the title doesn't make it obvious enough, this thread is for the Ultimate Drabble Challenge, and any other Star Wars drabbles I happen to write. Enjoy.

Edit: I decided to use this thread to collect any hyper short fic bits going forward, even if they're not technically drabbles.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2024
    AzureAngel2 likes this.
  2. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    Apologies for scrambling this week's prompts, but it was necessary to tell the story in order.

Valor
    Looking relieved and a bit irritated, Obi-Wan helped Anakin out of the fighter cockpit.
    "Are you okay?"

"Yeah."

"Great. So what in blazes were you thinking?"

"Qui-Gon said 'Stay in the cockpit.' I stayed."

"I know. But I don't think he meant for you to go flying off into battle."

"I blew up the droid ship. And I didn't get hurt."

"That was reckless and dangerous."

"Sorry. I was just trying to help."

"I know. You did help."

"You're not mad at me?"

"No. You did good, kid."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah. But Anakin?"

"Yeah?"

"Someday you'll be the death of me."

Defeat
    "LIAR!" Anakin screamed, "I HATE YOU!"

But even as he said it, he knew that he was the liar. He didn't hate Obi-Wan. He could never hate Obi-Wan. They were brothers.

They were brothers.

So why couldn't Obi-Wan see beyond Anakin's physical actions? Why couldn't he hear beyond his words? Why?

Why is your soul so blind, so deaf?

Why can't you see me struggle as I sink into the darkness?

Why don't you hear when my soul cries out to you for salvation?

You are my salvation, Obi-Wan, my only hope.

But it is too late. I have lost.

Sacrifice
    When Vader first saw Luke Skywalker, he didn't know his name, only that he could lead him to the Rebels.

When he learned the boy's name, he wondered.

When he saw Luke fly, green, yet an ace, he suspected.

When they met on Bespin, he knew. The boy had Padmé's eyes.

When Luke chose to believe in him, he remembered he had a heart.

When Luke curled into a fetal ball under the vicious onslaught of the Emporer's Force Lightning, screaming in agony, but still steadfastly refusing to give in, Anakin Skywalker gave his life so his son might live.

Victory
    For much of his life, he had battled against the darkness.

For a time, he'd held it at bay, but though he was strong, the darkness was stronger. Eventually it overpowered him, consumed him.

Yet even then, a small bit of light remained within his darkened soul, an ember of his former self.

Time and again, the darkness tried to smother that ember, but still it glowed, ever persistent.

"Dark Lord of the Sith?" It would crackle at him, "Try Dark Lord of I Don't Give A Kriff."

Love undeserved kindled the ember to roaring flame, light vanquishing the darkness.

Honor
    The flames rose high into the night
    To light the solemn funeral rite
    It was a real impressive sight
    The day my father died

I don't know just how I knew
    It was the proper thing to do
    I lit the pyre and the fire grew
    I guess it just felt right

My, my, this here Anakin guy
    "He was Vader!"
    Said a hater
    But he died a Jedi
    He saved my life
    And kissed the Dark Side goodbye
    Now I'm thinking I'm gonna cry

Firelit, here I stand
    Leia doesn't understand
    Anyway, she holds my hand
    Promising she'll try

3. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    A great set and ending with a beautiful poem

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  4. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Defeat and Sacrifice were sublime, great insights, and in the case of Anakin as he faced Kenobi on the lava planet, an angle I had never considered.

It is regretful that recipients are unable to detect when someone does not mean it when they push people away, and say they hate them.

Valor and Victory were okay.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  5. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    I hadn't intended it to be a poem, but I had American Pie in my head, both the original and the Weird Al Yankovic version.

Yeah, I figure that if some part of Anakin didn't want help, he wouldn't have bothered pausing the fight and talking to Obi-Wan.

6. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    These are all incredible, but OMG, Honor. A cover of a longtime favourite parody. :) Enjoyed how you defended Anakin in it, too! His story is tragic, after all; but it takes a writer to tell it through laughter.

Keep up the good work!

Ridley Solo and AzureAngel2 like this.
  7. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    Thanks EP. I hadn't planned to do it that way, I just wanted to use the imagery of the flames rising into the night. Then I thought of that line from American Pie and the plot bunny wouldn't stop singing, so I just rolled with it.

AzureAngel2 and Ewok Poet like this.
  8. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    The poem came unexpected, but it is really appreciated. (Especially because I love that certain song by Weird Al.)
    It is like the famous cherry on top.

I also liked the way you portrait the relationship between Anakin & Obi-Wan at different stages, plus show more of Vader´s parenthood.

9. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    Thanks.

And now, Week 2 drabbles.

Name

"Well Sugar, now I'm satisfied you ain't gonna die on me -- though the Maker only knows how you ever survived that fall -- if you gonna go on livin', Honey, you gonna need a new name, 'cause Maker knows keepin' usin' the one you got get you kilt right quick."

"What would you suggest?"

"My fiancé, Lance Stormbreaker, met the Maker afore his time just this mornin'. Some scum kilt him for his pocket money. Family ain't met him. Ain't even seen a holo. Come home with me, they won't know the difference."

"More than kind, Ms. Moonstep."

"Call me Claire."

Title

He had once held the title of Master. But that was far away and long ago, a different life.

He had once been a Holdfather, but that title had disappeared along with Master, to be replaced by Uncle.

By simply living when he should have died, he won the title of Survivor.

Once he had eschewed the notion of emotional attachment, but when the darkness had enveloped his entire world, Claire Moonstep appeared and became his light. He married her, and became a Husband.

Claire had a sister, Tyra. That made him Brother.

Time soon brought him another title. Father.

Number

Sixty-six.

Order Sixty-six destroyed his world, and almost took his life.

One.

One woman risked everything to give him a new life.

Fifty.

He was fifty years old when he married Claire Moonstep.

Five.

She was only five years his junior.

Three.

She bore him three strong sons.

Seven.

Between them, his three sons gave him seven grandchildren.

Nine.

The baby boy in his arms was only nine days old. His name was Kit, in honor of Kit Fisto.

One hundred.

He never thought that he would live this long. His life had been tumultuous, at best, but not wasted.

Date

It was a date he could never forget.

On this date, he lost the Jedi Temple, the only home he'd ever known.

On this date, he lost the Jedi Order. Colleagues, yes. Friends, no doubt. But even more, the only family he'd ever known.

A year later, it was made a State holiday. Empire Day. He wanted to barf.

On Empire Day, his first son was born.

On Empire Day, Alderaan was blasted to rubble.

On Empire Day, the Empire fell.

Empire Day was renamed Victory Day.

On Victory Day, Kit Stormbreaker was stealthily stolen away by the First Order.

Legacy

For as long as he could remember, the only name he'd known was a number. FN-2187.

Poe Daemeron called him Finn. It was as good a name as any.

The stormtroopers of the First Order called him Traitor. He didn't care.

After Starkiller Base was destroyed, a few malcontents defected to the Resistance. They had another name for him. Stormbreaker. He embraced it as his own, not knowing it really was.

Years later, as Finn practiced with his lightsaber, instinct, and a memory buried deep in his subconscious, guided him to an aggressive grace.

Watching, an astromech droid recognized Vaapad.

10. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Name
    = I like that you used an accent here and not everybody speaks posh RP like the British queen.

Title
    = It is nice to see that by losing the title of Master he had been able to give his life new meanings.

Number
    = Interesting to see that numbers can have so many meanings in the life of a person. Some for the worse, some for the better.

Date
    = It makes me angry that after so much heartbreak Kit Stormbreaker was stealthily stolen away by the First Order.

Legacy
    = You really write Finn in an interesting way. I did not notice before (in another fanfic that is) that it was him, meh, because I suck with numbers. And before that I read a clone story somewhere else. Therefore the mix up in my head. I hope you can forgive me.

Kahara likes this.
  11. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    Thank you. And you don't have to apologize for sucking with numbers. I'm not exactly Charlie Eppes either.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  12. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    This is perhaps while I never realize Finn´s First Order name. [face_blush]

13. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Name: A space!western, maybe? Their accents make me think so. Creative use of the prompt!

Title: I can see that the situation from the last drabble went far...and got quite nice. :)

Number: Lovely semi-poem right there. Numbers in a drabble named after numbers. And these OCs are captivating!

Date: Oh, Kit, NO! Your parents had such a lovely love story and now this. :(

Legacy: FINN AS A JEDI, HECK YES. I love it, love it, love it. And I assume that it's either BB-8 or R2-D2 that recognises Vaapad.

Another great set here. :)

Kahara, AzureAngel2 and Findswoman like this.
  14. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    Ummm.... No.

Yup.

Claire Moonstep is an OC. Her Jedi isn't.

Grandparents, actually.

Why would BB-8 know anything about Vaapad?

I honestly didn't think I'd made the main character of this set so hard to guess.

Kahara, Ewok Poet and AzureAngel2 like this.
  15. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    I'll confess that it took me a few readthroughs to guess who these were about, and I too had originally guessed an OC, too, because of the name. I see now that the key to much of it is in the very last drabble of the set. If I understand aright, this is a very interesting origin theory you have here for Finn! :)

16. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    I've had that Mace Lives! plot bunny bouncing around my brain for a while now. I will likely expand on these ideas in the future.

17. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Where did you hear that?

* wonders if she can manage to go to bed properly now

18. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Nice set again with your characters

Kahara and AzureAngel2 like this.
  19. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    I found the question "What if Mace Windu survived?" just generally floating around the internet, as it probably has been since ROTS came out. I've also seen a couple videos on YouTube theorizing what would happen if he survived, but didn't find them particularly satisfying, because they all have him going off the rails and going Dark, and I don't like that.

One day Claire Moonstep popped into existence and told me, "Honey, that man need some lovin'."

20. K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku

K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 18, 2000
    These are great! I loved 'Try Dark Lord of I Don't Give a Kriff." It just sounds like Anakin. And Week 2: For a second I thought we were off on a space western jaunt with an OC, but when you got to Finn and vaapad, I had to smile. Nicely done! :D

AzureAngel2 and Ewok Poet like this.
  21. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
  22. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Well done@Cowgirl Jedi 1701! I do not like the theory of Mace being Snoke anyway. Your version follows a certain motto "The Beatles" came up with ages ago: All you need is love.

23. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    No kidding, TPAM. The "Mace is Snoke" theory is the worst!

Week 3 drabbles below.

Helpless

The first thing he was aware of was the heat. The last thing he'd been conscious of was bone chilling cold worse than Hoth. But then it was called carbon freezing.

Something was wrong. His eyes were open but all he could see was....nothing. Blackness.

When Jabba's raucous laughter boomed out he jumped to his feet, his fists clenched....and would have fallen on his ass if not for Leia's hand on his back steadying him.

At least his wits still worked, not that it would help much.

A few snarky comments later, they dragged him to the dungeon.

Satisfied

He was shoved unceremoniously forward, and stumbled into another being as the cell door clanged shut behind him. His groping hand felt fur, and he had a hunch. A question rumbled at him in Shryiiwook confirmed it.

<<Are you okay?>>

Am I okay? Hells no, I'm not okay! I'm blind, I'm so weak I can barely stand, and my head is splitting! Kriff it, Chewie, where did you leave your brain?

"I'm fine, Chewie"

<<You don't look fine.>>

"Okay, I'm terrible. But I threw some good snark at Jabba."

<<Not very damn helpful.>>

"Hells no, but it was damned satisfying."

Enough

Since the moment he'd met Luke Skywalker, his life had been turned upside down, not that it hadn't been a shambles already.

Luke had quickly become one of his best friends, and Leia, well maybe that was a bit more complicated, but if she was gone, he'd sure as hells miss her.

Even though he'd made some great new friends, and reconnected with some old ones because of this mess, he was getting fed up.

The Death Star, Darth Vader, carbon freezing, Jabba the Hutt, a sarlacc....and now another Death Star?

He decided he'd had enough of this shavit.

Non-Stop

For as long as he could remember, he'd lived life in the fast lane, and lately it had been doubly hectic. Hyperspace offered the much needed opportunity to relax, and enjoy Leia's....delightful....company.

She still had on the metal bikini Jabba had made her wear, and....damn.

"Princess, do you have any idea what you're doing to me?"

"What?"

He opened a door. "In here, Sweetheart. I'll show you."

Later his breath came in gasps as he flopped onto his back. Her fingers continued teasing him mercilessly, and he braced himself for another exhausting round of thoroughly enjoyable torture.

Burn

He didn't understand why Luke chose to have a funeral for Vader. He chose not to ask. The one brief meeting had given him the impression that Vader was a complicated being. He knew his own feelings about Vader were complicated. He wouldn't miss Vader, but didn't hate him. He respected him -- was even grateful to him. If not for Vader, he wouldn't be friends with Luke, or be loved by a princess. Done watching Vader burn, he turned back to the party to "allay loo ta nuv", as the Ewoks said.

24. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    This is a wonderful VIP trip through Han´s mind and you manage throughout your drabbles to let him sound like himself. The soft heart hidden under a scoundrel´s sarcasm. Beautiful! @};-

25. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    Thanks.

AzureAngel2 likes this.