main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CR in Flux

Discussion in 'Archive: Milwaukee, WI' started by Mauler_II, Oct 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheWampas1138

TheWampas1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    Ignore it. It's not important and it's petty. So Jeffrey, you interested in being CR?

2. Carter-TFN

Carter-TFN Ex-Staff, Admin Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2001
    They're meant as truths. His general lack of tact and respect in posting and the second comment is an admission of his wrongdoing to the Milwaukee FF.

3. TheWampas1138

TheWampas1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    Yes, yes that's very nice. However, as a administrator that seems very inflamatory of you. Are you trying to start a flame war because most of us know Tom and will defend him so unless there is a point to your little postings other than to inflame this issue I suggest you let it go.

Marcy

4. Mauler_II

Mauler_II Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    I REALLY don't think you want to open this can of worms Carter. OBVIOUSLY we have different opnions of Tom here. Unless you're simply spoiling for a fight I respectfully ask that you not post here on this topic again.

5. Idaara

Idaara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 29, 2002
    I agree... you admins have already made your point by demoting Tom, why start up with those of us here? Or aren't we allowed to have our own point of view on the matter even if it doesn't agree with yours?

6. Bishop76

Bishop76 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2002
    I don't know if I'm interested. It would mean dealing with people like Carter, yes?

I'll give it some thought.

Jeff

7. Cetera

Cetera Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 29, 2000
    BYOB,

Just wanted to express my support for you. I appreciated it when you spoke out with the LMM thing. Anyway, that is pure horse**** what they have done now. Am I going to get banned for saying that?

8. CaptMereel

CaptMereel Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 11, 2002
    Okay, I've read this whole thread and now have to give my two cents worth....Tom has been a great CR - no doubt about that! Yes, sometimes when he says something you have to think about whether he was serious or not but that's his appeal. What I see is people who have more time on their hands than they should have and who get offended by comments that, if they were said vocally to their faces, would know that it is sarcasm at its best. I have always said give people a little power and it all goes to their head and they become little dictators. I see it in my county's board and in every little town and city across this state and country.

Lighten up and maybe we wouldn't have all the petty squabbles and major wars this world has had and will continue to have....life is just too DAMN short to be so petty and narrow minded.

Whenever and wherever you get a group of people there is bound to be conflict...that is human nature and if people are too thin skinned to shrug it off, ces la vie!

There...'nough said....

9. Carter-TFN

May 24, 2001
    I wish Milwaukee FF well in your search for a new CR.

edit: I don't know BYOB personally like many of you here and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, from your real life interactions, that he was a great CR. Unfortunately, 99.9% of the posters here don't have the luxury of knowing Tom in real life and can't take his real life personality into consideration with certain remarks he makes.

Anyhow, the things I know about BYOB's situation are but the tip of the iceberg in the grand scheme of things. The FF admins have a better history.

10. Idaara

Apr 29, 2002
    I most truly hope that was meant in sincere manner.

11. Bobafemme

Bobafemme FF Jedi Council Member, Chicago IL RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 25, 2000
    It's not like BYOB was banned, for the love of things Star Warsy. He was on probation, he has been warned about his JC behavior, this isn't over one offense, but the sum of many. No one is saying that he can't participate in the JC or FF. He just can't be the CR. He can have whatever role he and the MC want, but not CR role.

12. Cetera

Mar 29, 2000
    Yeah, but the reason he was demoted because he was a color-name being the voice of reason in a thread, and when people made up more and more lame excuses, he got irritated, and blunt, and slightly sarcastic. He didn't say anything derogatory to anyone, he didn't say anything inappropriate. He got kicked because he isn't liked, because he is "controversial," and doesn't always tow the party line. Lame.

13. Idaara

Apr 29, 2002
    All I meant was that if what Carter said was supposed to be taken in a snotty or sarcastic way, he is way out of line.

14. Mauler_II

Mauler_II Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    In another moronic twist of fate, the "punishment" does not stop Tom from posting anywhere - he can still make all the comments he wants to. What the "punishment" does do is prevent him from doing the one thing we all agree he was great at doing - mangaging our little forum.

It's like a cop pulling you over for speeding, telling you you were going to fast, giving you they keys to a new Corvette, and telling you that as a punsishment you can no longer contribute to charitable organizations.

BTW - forgive me for speaking of you in the third person Tom!

Edit: spelling

15. LeiaYT1300

LeiaYT1300 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    That's what I meant about the punishment fitting the crime. Demoting him from the position of CR does nothing, really. A temporary banning would have been more appropriate in this case.

16. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    If you were to see the long line of his offenses then you might get what we are trying to do here. He was given a second chance on things and blew it. I'm sure he has done a good job in real life with your club but as a representative on the boards his record is far from clean.

17. Carter-TFN

May 24, 2001
    I most truly hope that was meant in sincere manner.

I'm a big supporter of FF. TFN has been working with LFL to include FF as a big part of the AOTC IMAX screenings. Other TFN staff and I have worked to bring the FanForce site online with banner design and coding.

I do mean that in the most sincere manner.

edit: "I'm sure he has done a good job in real life with your club but as a representative on the boards his record is far from clean."

A good CR represents his club in RL, which Tom has achieved from his popularity here, and as a representative of Milwaukee FF in the grand scheme of the FanForce community.

18. Cetera

Mar 29, 2000
    OMG! Mauler, you are so correct. You have now been initiated into the group who doesn't like the admins, because they seem to lack intelligence when others disagree with them, or even say they are using their authority inappropriately.

19. SySnootles

SySnootles Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2002
    That is very wise of you to point out, Bobafemme. I sincerely mean that. He wasn't kicked off of the boards. He is not lost to us. I believe it's really the principle we're dealing with here.

As I mentioned before, we know Tom well and know his ways and personality. What he said on many of the boards for which he was reprimanded was not in a vein of comtempt or disrespect. In person it is quite clear how he means to say things. Small things like the non-verbal communicative symbols, inflections, volume, etc... All things not transferable to a print medium. This is our loss if we don't know the person well enough to interpret the words on the screen to his or her actual meaning.

I think the angst in this thread goes deeper than just Tom's demotion. I believe it's more of a reflection of Milwookieeians uncomfortableness (well it's a word now) regarding the rigid and almost unreasonable rules which govern this site. At least that's my take on things.

I would like to make it clear that I do NOT speak for anyone else in the Milwookiee Council. The opinions stated here are my own.
    Catie

20. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    "I would be able to check the boards sometime in the mornings and then later on at night."

That's all you need, my friend. :) As far as "policing" the threads, any one of us could do what I did to accomplish that, and I think all of us will.

"They're meant as truths. His general lack of tact and respect in posting and the second comment is an admission of his wrongdoing to the Milwaukee FF."

With all due respect, Carter, I'm afraid you're mistaken on both points. First, I think I'm entitled to at least allude to what my feelings on the matter are, and that's what I intended to do with the giraffe comment. (See Auraveda's sig for Zappalicious enlightenment.) Second, I ain't apologizing for jack squat. I'm only sorry that my friends are left without a CR all because some thin-skinned people didn't like the way I said things.

Unless you're claiming psychic powers, I don't think you should go around classifying your individual interpretations as "truths." Don't presume to know my mind. You'll set yourself up for embarrassment.

"It would mean dealing with people like Carter, yes?"

Not necessarily.

"I wish Milwaukee FF well in your search for a new CR."

We'll survive. You can bet on it. [face_plain]

"...the things I know about BYOB's situation are but the tip of the iceberg..."
    "If you were to see the long line of his offenses ... as a representative on the boards his record is far from clean."

Yeah. I'm a bad bad man. Let's see that long line of "offenses." I can think of one offhand that was actually legitimate. Many of the rest can't be debated anymore because the threads no longer exist. But I would trust these people to judge my actions objectively.

21. jedisister

jedisister Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 1, 2001
    While I'm sorry for Tom's demotion, we still need to deal with the matter of a new CR. Dan, as a last resort, only, given his limited time, is there anyone else interested in the position? or 2 people and we can take a vote. If anyone is interested please let us know ASAP!! Thanks!

22. Carter-TFN

May 24, 2001
    BYOB, you're not a bad person, you just have a very poor attitude. In any regard, I had nothing to do with your demotion. That was a decision based on current and prior dealings with the FF administration.

23. Idaara

Apr 29, 2002
    Seems to me that that should have been a PM, Carter, and not a post. Just my 2 credits worth. (Edit: Above written before Carter edited his post.)

Also, Traci, seeing as I'm a bit of a "latecomer" to the group and have not offered to take on much in the way of responsibility up to now, I would like to add my name to the potential candidates for the CR position, provided that Dan decides he does not want to take the position.

24. Cetera

Mar 29, 2000
    Carter, with all due respect, is that really a good, tactful thing to say, in public, by an admin, about someone who has been demoted? I don't think so. I personally think that most mods/admins have very poor attitudes. And I don't go flaunting that opinion. I think BYOB was well within his rights to say everything he said, and I don't see any reason why he should have been banned. I think the mods do a very lousy job with this place.

25. Auraveda

Auraveda Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 5, 2001
    Tom has a fabulous attitude. As it has been said before it is merely misinterpreted by people who have not had the pleasure of meeting him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.