main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NSW CR/RSA

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Shara_82, Feb 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Syrix_Kahl

Syrix_Kahl Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 25, 2001
    Oh, I'm sorry SM, you seem to have mis-read me. I said, "she won't have people trying to trip her up." as opposed to "she won't have me trying to trip her up."

Perhaps I could re-phrase it if there's too much confusion over the matter?

Edit - Bloody excellent typos.

2. Shara_82

Shara_82 Administrator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 10, 2001
    OK... *insert official cool down warning here*.

3. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    I think that if there are other people who want to try their hand at being the City Rep....why not? ?[face_plain]

It's like sharing a swing at the local park.....when you've been on the swing for awhile and the kid behind you says he wants to have a go, do you get off and let him have his fun or ignore him and swing your brains out?

I dunno....I think what we're running into here is personal judgment calls. I personally feel that the swing should be shared. Some don't.

It's hardly occasion to break out the knives and back-room political tactics, guys :)

4. Syrix_Kahl

Mar 25, 2001
    It's fun for all the family, Brett :D

-Okay, okay. That was a joke. I'm just trying a bit of light hearted humour.

And I guess it's just as well the original post, right Shara...

5. Shara_82

Jan 10, 2001
    Like the joke, don't get the bit about the first post...sorry, my brain has gne a bit today. :)

It's like sharing a swing at the local park.....when you've been on the swing for awhile and the kid behind you says he wants to have a go, do you get off and let him have his fun or ignore him and swing your brains out?

I get your analogy, here, but I think this is where half to problem lies. This isn't like a toy to share around - its a position of responsibility, a job if you will. Its not something to be given out to whoever wants it at the time.

6. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    Noted Syrix, I did misread that comment of yours, however that doesn't change the fact that there are ppl trying to trip her up, instead of realising that we're all here for the same reasons : We like Star Wars, and we want to get to know other ppl who do.

And I don't see the CR position as a swing at a local park, but to use an analogy along the same lines, isn't it more like a lifeguards posts at a beach or swimming pool?
    Don't you need someone who has the responsibility and the know how of the job to do it?
    And no, the same guard isn't on duty all the time, however, noone strolls out of the water and takes the seat just because they feel it is their turn.
    If positions were all turn based, then maybe Lucas will have to hand off ep3 to a director we feel could do a better job, wait, bad example... :p

I think we could all at least agree that so far Shara has done an outstanding job as CR, noone is yet to provide a clear cut reason, or specific incident proving that she can't do the job, all we have so far is ppl saying "she's been in long enough", and "give someone else a turn". This isn't someone hogging the local park's swing, this is someone serving well in an area of responsibility.
    As has been suggested before, why don't we just give this time, and see what happens?
    Why do something to fix a situation that is otherwise functioning perfectly?

7. Keith_Katarn

Keith_Katarn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    ** WE LOVE SHARA ** :D

8. DarthAttorney

Nov 8, 2000
    SM: I don't think this thread was ever about taking instant action and installing a new CIty Rep over the weekend. As Shara said in the first post: "This is not a vote." :)

From my POV, it was designed to canvass the members and see if there was interest in the possibility of having a new CR. Which I think has been shown. Admittedly it's been by 5/6 members....but the idea is still there.

And if I can just work with your lifeguard analogy for a moment, I'd say it was the RSA who's the lifeguard in this instance, using their abilities to help where the CR can't. Although I don't know who the CR is in this scenario....maybe the guy driving the Mr Whippy van in the carpark? The lady who runs the greasy fish and chips shop? ?[face_plain] ;)

EDIT: And this is soooo not personal. Because Shara, you're one of the best friends I've ever had and I swear this is not me or group of guys teaming up to attack you or undermine you or give you hassles. This is what we think and I reckon it's great that we can have some honest conversations about where we all want our little fan force to go without resorting to flaming or baiting or whatever. :)

9. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    So who would be the RSA in your scenario? the guy who mows tha lawns at the park?

If we're gonna use analogies, then, to go back to the lifeguard one, we have a lot of ppl peeing in the water.

why can't we give this some time? both to see if ppl really are gung ho about having a new Cr in say, a month? And also to see if Shara can handle both duties?
    Nothing will be solved by this pointless toing and froing in this thread.

I propose that we set a date for a month from now, take a look at the situation then, and not only will Shara's ability, or lack of, to do both jobs be plain to see, but she'll also have had time to decide whether or not she wants to do both.

10. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    I think we should get a new CR (not that Shara hasn't been doing a fantastic job) so that our new RSA can give her new responsibility her undivided attention. As such we'd need a CR who can give his/her role his/her full attention

11. Shara_82

Jan 10, 2001
    And this is soooo not personal. Because Shara, you're one of the best friends I've ever had and I swear this is not me or group of guys teaming up to attack you or undermine you or give you hassles.

Dude, I know that. I'm just saying my opinion in this, like everyone else is. :)

From my POV, it was designed to canvass the members and see if there was interest in the possibility of having a new CR. Which I think has been shown. Admittedly it's been by 5/6 members....but the idea is still there.

But what about the people who obviously have no objections to my staying CR, and are simply trying to stay out of the politics? If they had the opinion that we needed a new one, they would post, but as such out of a forum of over 20 people, there are 5 or 6 saying yes. That hardly seems like a large majority to me.

I think we should get a new CR (not that Shara hasn't been doing a fantastic job) so that our new RSA can give her new responsibility her undivided attention. As such we'd need a CR who can give his/her role his/her full attention

I, at this point in time, believe I DO have time for both, but that is just my opinion. :)

Edits: stuff I forgot. [face_blush]

12. DarthAttorney

Nov 8, 2000

[i]"But what about the people who obviously have no objections to my staying CR, and are simply trying to stay out of the politics?"[/i]

You assume that they would post.
    This means nothing.

This thread got off to a roaringly bad start with accusations and recriminations hurled left and right. I myself didn't post until things had calmed down a little. Sure there are a number of people who haven't expressed their views....but can you blame them? [face_mischief]

Isn't this why Australia invented the secret ballot system?

13. foxy

foxy Jedi Youngling

Feb 24, 2002
    I don't think it matters, NSW is hardly a huge forum that needs stax of monitoring anyway. So i don't give a crap.

And who do you have in mind anyway? Coz the ppl who say they want to "give another a go" haven't volunteered their services or suggested anyone who might be more capable than Shara and no one has actually said they wants the job, have they?

Either way i don't think it's worth getting all your panties in a twist over, it's just a CR.

14. wedge3210

wedge3210 Jedi Master star 5

Jun 7, 1999
    But if people don't voice their opinion then it's there own fault if they end up with a system they might not agree with.

15. Shara_82

Jan 10, 2001
    You assume that they would post.

Yes, true. However I stand by my belief that we should take it on the majority of the forum, rather than the majority of the people who have posted in here. If they want a change so much, then they should post - everyone is free to air their views in this thread WITHOUT the recriminations that came earlier.

Edit: stupid markup codes!

16. Syrix_Kahl

Mar 25, 2001
    Yes, true. However I stand by my belief that we should take it on the majority of the forum, rather than the majority of the people who have posted in here.

I do believe the purpose of this thread was to see if there was any interest in seperating RSA and Cr, or something like that.

From what has been posted, there obviously is. In fact, this thread was started because there are people who think so.

This thread has served its purpose.

Now we need to take this to a vote (as was suggested in the initial post).

17. Shara_82

Jan 10, 2001
    The vote I was talking about was the vote for a new CR. I have not seen the majority of the people who post here interested in that yet. This thread is the vote for whether or not we do that - we can't do it in a poll simply because they are too easy to rig (via socks, out of state people, etc.) :)

18. DarthAttorney

Nov 8, 2000

"I have not seen the majority of the people who post here interested in that yet."

Do you say that as the unbiased Aus. Region RSA or the CR trying to keep her job? ?[face_plain]

19. The_Scream_Man

The_Scream_Man Jedi Knight star 5

May 1, 2000
    I know I said I wouldnt post, but:

Shara is right. This was to see if people agreed or not. Majority seem not to at the moment. So that means we change nothing.

Nothin wrong with that. Long as everyone has their say, and says what they feel, all is well.

20. Shara_82

Jan 10, 2001
    I say that as a person who knows that we have had upwards of twenty people coming to meets, many new people since then, and regulars who did not make it to those meets.

And while I'm sure someone will accuse me of stalling with this comment, but I would like to think that this thread could remain in place for a little longer than three days. I know of at least two people who have said opinions are coming. (To me at least, although that may not be of much comfort to many people. :( )

Edit: and Scream - I want to thank you for being a prime example of what this thread is supposed to be about - everyone posting their opinions, and being willing to listen to everyone else. So thank you. :)

21. mauls-menace

mauls-menace Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    Personally I'm of the opinion "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!" :D

22. Ki-Bara-Mundi

Ki-Bara-Mundi Jedi Master star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    I hate doing the italics thing, but it's the only way my post will make any sense without having to scroll halfway up the page. ;)

However from what I can tell of your post, would it not be up to the person having that pressure on them to decide whether they are able to handle it?

The pressure on the person holding the positions would also be a concern for forum users. We don't want to see our RSA's having short lifespans. I thought Sil would hold the position for years, but that never quite happened.

Again, that's just one concern, others have been raised. But as long as we can cope with them, there probably shouldn't be any change.

23. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    OK, this will be the last post I make in this thread, because the discussion has been pretty much played out. I have a two-part suggestion:

1. If people want to share around the CR position, then they need to come up with names. People who can actually do the job, and fulfill all the responsibilities it entails. No more hypotheticals.
    2. If people are worried about the chain of command, or the 'one person shouldnt have too much power' idea (or some variation of it), then perhaps we should defer to a higher power? Hama or MysterySith should have knowledge of whether it is workable, and if these things have gone down in the past. Why not just get in contact with them? Ask their advice?

And thats it, my final 2c

24. Shara_82

Jan 10, 2001
    2. If people are worried about the chain of command, or the 'one person shouldnt have too much power' idea (or some variation of it), then perhaps we should defer to a higher power? Hama or MysterySith should have knowledge of whether it is workable, and if these things have gone down in the past. Why not just get in contact with them? Ask their advice?

Already done - Hama doesn't have a problem with it. There are several RSA/CRs at the moment, and none of them seem to be having a problem handling it. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.