RPG Cracken's Crew website and Clone Wars Sourcebook

Discussion in 'Games' started by JediAlly, Nov 26, 2005.

Moderators: MarcusP2, The2ndQuest
  1. NarCranor Jedi Knight

star 2
    I have two questions for you, though.
    1. I know you drew on the Jedi Starfighter game, which lead into AOTC. Never played the game myself, but I recalled the press surrounding the game. That included the Force powers one could activate during the game, and that includes Force lightning. Now under any rules - d6, OCRB, RCRB, and Saga, using Force Lightning incurs a DSP. Shouldn't you have included that in the text - using Force lightning to attack another ship incurs a DSP?

We will look into this one. I have a feeling we might need to give the power some erratta, such as, using it against droid fighters does NOT provoke a DSP. You use it in the game constantly, and plo koon can use force lightning in jedi power battles without ill effects as well. So Plo Koon, Adi Gallia, and Saesee Tiin can all use it without apparently being dark. I understand that is how the rules are though. Tron and I will pow wow and look into it! Great catch.

2. Where did these starfighters come from: Kit Fisto's Jedi Starfighter, Saesee Tiin's Jedi Starfighter, Relay Starfighter, Wookie Blade heavy bomber, and Wookie Agr fighter? I don't recall ever seeing any of them, unless they appeared in video games.

Kit Fisto's Fighter (hasbro toy)
    Saesee Tiin's Delta 7 Modification (Jedi Starfighter Game, New Essential Guide To Vehicles And Vessels, hasbro toy)
    Incom Relay Starfighter (Dark Lord-The Rise of Darth Vader Novel)
    Wookiee Blade Bomber (Galactic Battlegrounds: Clone Campaigns Video Game)
    Wookiee Agr Fighter (Galactic Battlegrounds: Clone Campaigns Video Game)

As always your input is highly valued, and carefully regarded! Thank you!
  2. JediAlly Jedi Master

star 4
    I know about that, and in New Essential Guide to Characters and Essential Guide to the Force they called Plo Koon's power Electric Judgment. It wasn't a dark side power, but it was considered very controversial.
  3. NarCranor Jedi Knight

star 2
    Consider the following additional erratta to the Force Lightning power for the Jedi Meditation Chair, it will be incorporated into the file soon.

"Whenever a Force Lightning attack is made in this manner, the Dark Side gets to make an attack roll against the user's Will Defense. The Dark Side receives an attack bonus equal to your current amount of Dark Side Points, plus an additional attack bonus based on how experienced a Jedi you are. These bonuses are +15 against Force Users without Jedi Training, +10 vs Jedi Padawans, +5 Vs Jedi Knights, and +0 vs Jedi Masters. If the attack by the Dark Side is successful, the user receives an additional Dark Side Point."
  4. NarCranor Jedi Knight

star 2
    Well, next chapter is coming along nicely. I have 30 of 41-43 capital ships done (not sure if two are worth statting, but ill probably end up doing them anyway). We have one incredible piece of original artwork already as well. Now, Starships of the Galaxy statted 12 capital ships used during the Clone Wars already, and I had not planned on re-statting those. However, if I finish the new stuff early enough, there is a good chance I will go over the 12 officially covered ships, and where I feel necessary, re-stat. I will say I am quite happy with how the chapter is coming along, and being that I only have 11-13 left to go, I estimate it will be done in another 4-5 days. This ought to give tron and myself plenty of time to edit it a few times each, and put out a chapter as smoothly polished as starfighters was.

Also, for those interested in all things Fandom Comics, I got one of my pieces of short fiction nominated for best alien in this years TFN fan fiction awards. The piece is called Cheedak's Last Hunt, and can be read on the fandom comics site or on the TFN forums.

Further, TJ Colligan gave me a call the other day, and our latest collaboration seems to be coming along. Hopefully we will have a few comic pages to post on August 15th.

In the meantime, I am going to keep barreling through these capital ship stats, and try to get them finished by friday.

Still very curious if anyone has any further thoughts on the starfighters chapter!
  5. Anstrona Jedi Youngling

Just giving everyone a progress update. Nar completed capital ships two days ago and I finished my first editing pass and fired it back to him for his second draft. He should be sending me his completed second draft tonight and I'll do a good once over and get started with compiling the document. So Capital Ships is well on schedule for an August 1st release. Additionally, I've completed 40 space transports with 9 more to go while Eric "Servo" Allen is hard at work with our first original pin-up for the space transports chapter. Eric and I are sharing the work of pinups and deck plans, so I'm looking forward to seeing how that works out.
  6. NarCranor Jedi Knight

star 2
    Well, just wanted to let you all know we at http://www.fandomcomics.com have updated the site again and posted our Capital Ships chapter for our Clone Wars Saga Edition Fan Sourcebook. Contained are 46 capital ships, two of which have original artwork (Givin Wavecrest Frigate and Geonosian Corvette). I am very excited to present the new chapter, and can?t wait to hear what you all think of it. Next month we will be taking a small break, and posting a smaller RPG update that we have been holding in reserve dealing with Starship rules, and breaking them down for GMs that are having difficulty understanding the stats. October 1st is when transports are going up though! In any case, let me know what you think of the Capital ship chapter, any errors you might spot, how it worked in your games if you used it, or just your general impressions after downloading!
  7. Xenon_gun Jedi Youngling

This chapter looks nice, very much like a real WOTC book chapter (the same goes for Starfighters). While I haven't used the starships contained, it all looks and reads sound. First impression of the composite cannon is that it should be a single attack against Reflex defense, since this way it goes back to making lots of saving throws (which WOTC designers wished to avoid). Page 40 has the picture slightly clip off the first line of text underneath. Also, I think that the Banking clan frigate and the Recusant were already statted in the SOTG, but it may be that I am missing something.

Otherwise, the chapter is great. New options, new ideas (the Mere Cruiser). Oh, and the Providence-class and the Invisible Hand have stats, finally, which is nice. I like the Hardcell, as well, for the translation of their weak spot into RPG terms.
  8. JediAlly Jedi Master

star 4
    Did the Corellian Coronet-class Fleet Carrier/Destroyer, Geonosian Cruiser, Humbarine Warship, and Procurator-class Star Battlecruiser appear in any of the books/comics?

You have the Diamond-class cruiser as a part of the Corporate Alliance. I thought it was associated with the Commerce Guild. That's what it says in the Wookiepedia. And Shu Mai was president of the Commerce Guild.

Also, I think the Advanced Droid Bomber appeared in Galactic Battlegrounds.
  9. NarCranor Jedi Knight

star 2
    Xenon, thanks for the kind words. We actually restatted a few ships that were already in SOTG, just because we felt that they did not follow continuity, mostly in terms of weapon load-outs.

Ally, The Coronet-Class was named by me, but the CEC multi-km ship, Humbarine multi-km ship, and Procurator class, along with Mandator I and II ships are all taken from small mentions in the Cross-Sections books for E2 and E3. The Geonosian Cruiser is from Republic Commando, seen briefly in the first mission cut-scene. The advanced droid bomber as pictured and statted is from the TCG, but GB may have had it as well, I would have to check. I think it was a separate bomber though, based on how it looked.

The Diamond Class Cruiser I will take a look at, and correct if neccesary. Im always getting the Corporate Alliance and Commerce Guild confused for some reason...
  10. LawgSkrak Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Any new issues of the comics coming soon?
  11. NarCranor Jedi Knight

star 2
    Well, we have 3 projects Im currently talking to artists about, as recently as today. The three guys we are working with right now are:

Steve Criado (Of Cracken's Crew fame, he wants to do a mini comic (6 pages or so) before getting back onto the next issue of Cracken's Crew)

TJ Colligan (Of tales of the Chu'unthor fame, he is doing, ironically a Cracken's Crew mini comic, a 6 pager I wrote a while back exploring one of the team members, much in the way our short fiction pieces flesh out some of the characters.)

Sean Vrabel (He has done a pinup for us for the Clone Wars Fan Sourcebook, Jedi Master Darrin Arkanian and Master Roan Shryne. He is doing a top secret mini comic project, which is nearly completed. We are just waiting on him to send in the pages so I can do some script tweaks before he starts coloring it. So it is very nearly done, and I think will blown people away when we finally get it up.

Naturally, the original plan was for all three of these projects to have released at various times already, starting back in january. Our artists have all run into a series of life-related delays that have caused the holdups, and it looks instead like we will be getting a lot of the material all at once in the next two months or so. We will likely string out releasing it, however, to give the guys time to get some pages in the vault for their next projects, so we don't run into such a gap in publishing again.

Also just FYI in general, id suggest redownloading capital and starfighter chapters, as we recently brought on a full-time editor, who has already torn the documents apart and we have made quite a few corrections! The hope is that future projects will be a lot more error-proofed than before. The trouble with editing your own material is that your eyes tend to overlook the same mistakes many many times.

In any case, bright future ahead for the remainder of the year!
  12. NarCranor Jedi Knight

star 2
    Just a quick note, we did update the site tonight with two smaller "filler" updates. The first is a rules cheat-sheet for starship/vehicle stats. This sheet spells out each of the stats in a vehicle stat block and explains them all in one spot, with page references for where certain tables can be found and the like, to make the starship rules a bit more understandable without having to go on a scavenger hunt like we did to figure them out. At only 8 pages, I think most people will find it a handy little reference.

Second, is a sneak preview of our atmospheric vehicles chapter. The sneak peek has all the Speederbikes, Swoops and Airhooks that were in use during the Clone Wars, of which I believe we came up with about 11. (Aratech 74-Z is already officially statted, and was skipped). In any case, enjoy both these chapters, and as usual, let us know of any errors or inconsistencies, or how they worked in your games upon reading them!\

Then get ready for Ocotber 1st, because that will see the release of 50 starship transports! Enjoy!

Keith "Nar" Kappel
    http://www.fandomcomics.com
  13. JediAlly Jedi Master

star 4
    Nice little filler - a snack in-between the four-course meals that comprise the regular chapters.
  14. NarCranor Jedi Knight

star 2
    Thanks! To make up for it, the next two ought to be fairly massive. Oh, and we brought in a professional editor, so we are hoping the errors our chapters seem to be riddled with should be greatly reduced, though we still depend on you all to help us find them!
  15. JediAlly Jedi Master

star 4
    The Space transports chapter is up.

The artwork of The Flare was very nice.

Spelling error - AA-9 Freighter entry - Antazi instead of Anzati.

H-Type space yacht - You said this vessel was on New Plympto. I just checked Paths to Nowhere, and I think you got this mixed up with the J-Type space cruiser. The ship in question in that comic was a broad-winged ship, similar to the Naboo ship that was at the beginning of the AOTC movie. Both of these are the J-Type space cruiser.

Jadthu-class landing craft - I thought I read somewhere that Incom made them.

The ARC LAAT gunship also appeared in the Clone Wars Cartoon Episodes 2 and 3 on Muunilinst.

Did any of the following make an appearance in the Clone Wars - LAAT/v, Loronar transport, Republic Pocket Air Cruiser? I know the LAAT/v was referred to in The New Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels.

16. Anstrona Jedi Youngling

Thanks for the kind words, I'll be sure to pass that onto Eric. He was the artist for the 121-B Yacht pin-up. He and I did the deck plan together.

I'll definitely make note of the things you caught and make sure they get fixed when we recompile for the combined, massive, "vehicles" chapter.

You're partially correct on the Jadthu. It's actually of Republic Seinar Systems manufacture. The contract was awarded to them by the Republic to take the Incom civilian version and retrofit it for combat. The Republic probably purchased them from Incom, then turned around and contracted Seinar to modify and reproduce them. That's my take on it, anyway.

The LAAT/v was mentioned in the NEGV&V as being used in the Clone Wars, yes. The Republic Pocket Air Cruiser is the name Nar and I settled on for the "Republic Starship" that appeared in Galactic Battlegrounds: Clone Campaigns. The Loronar Transport is actually from the West End Games 2nd Edition Gamemaster's Handbook and was touted as being designed just before the Clone Wars. I figured you can never have too many generic transports for players to choose from so why not throw it in there?
  17. NarCranor Jedi Knight

star 2
    Well, a belated happy Halloween to everyone! It is the 1st of the month again, and once again Fandom Comics has posted a new chapter in their Clone Wars Saga Edition Fan Sourcebook! This chapter focuses on Repulsorlift vehicles, and features 52 of them from the Clone Wars era! Note that we did not reprint the 11 speederbikes/swoops and airhooks from our preview for this, so there are 63 total repulsorlift vehicles on the site now for the Clone Wars era! Also included are some new stock templates for vehicles, and additional emplacements to customize your ships and vehicles with, including a new "vulnerability" mechanic that is based off the "ion vulnerability" presented in the core book for the AAT entry!

Anyway, as always, I hope everyone enjoys the chapter, and please let us know if you find anything that needs correcting.

http://www.fandomcomics.com
  18. JediAlly Jedi Master

star 4
    When I saw the AST, I was thinking what is this? It's definitely not a standard Hasbro or LEGO toy. Thought it was a McDonald Happy Meal toy. Definitely didn't see this in any of the movies, novels, or comics. I would have doubted its canonicity.

Droid Transport Carrier - I could tell from the forward cannon it was from LEGO. Another vehicle the canonicity of which I would have questioned.

I know that WOTC has a ROTS Collection special, in which were I believe to be RCRB stats for the main characters, ships, and vehicles of the movie. Did you use these as a guide in creating Saga Stats for the following: Droid Gunship, Wookie Fluttercraft, Baktoid Fleet Ordnance Heavy Missile Platform,

The Saber-class TX-130T tank appeared in the recent The Force Unleashed Sourcebook

Where did the M31-Airspeeder appear? I know the Refresh Droid appeared in the ROTS Visual dictionary, but did it appear anywhere else?
  19. NarCranor Jedi Knight

star 2
    Well, clearly those who refuse to recognize the validity of some of those vehicles can choose to ignore them or not use them. The M31 was mentioned in holonet news ads, which is where the image is from. We def did our research and yes, the WOTC articles were looked at for inspiration for those craft that were appropriate to it. As for the refresh droid, it was mentioned a few times in connection with the hailfire droid, but it has never been pictured. As for the TX-130, there are a few variants of it, and at the time that particular entry was written, there was no official saga version. After seeing what they did, however, I felt the research I did on the tank was more canonically correct.
  20. JediAlly Jedi Master

star 4
    A few hours early, but the next chapter is up. And it deals with the walkers and the ground vehicles of the Clone Wars.

I can already see a revision - you have A6 Turbo Tank, and then you have Kuat Drive Yards HAVw A5 Juggernaut. Don't you mean A6?

I know the AT-HE only appeared in the cross-section books, but what about the Metalorn Garbage Crane?

Let's see, we covered space, air, repulsor, and ground vehicles of the Clone Wars. The only area left is the sea, and I think the only vehicle exclusive to the sea are the Quarren version of the SPHA-T and the Separatist carriers that delivered those one-droid attack subs in the Clone Wars Cartoon.

Also, in light of the release of Clone Wars on DVD and TV, do you plan on releasing stats for that squid ship that kidnapped Rotta and the Malevolence and its sister ships?
  21. NarCranor Jedi Knight

star 2
    Well actually we are planning to sit on a lot of the cartoon stats in anticipation of the clone wars campaign guide from WOTC on Jan 20th. So the malevolence, squid ship, magnaguard fighters, twilight, etc etc etc are all going to wait until we see whats in the official book. I have a feeling that it will be very very cartoon heavy.

As for ocean-going craft, they were supposed to be a part of this chapter, but we fell behind schedule a bit, and opted to leave them out. We figured demand for seacraft was less than anything else, so we will likely save those for a rainy day. Tron and I are a bit eager to get back to doing NPCs.

As for the textual correction, Ill have tron look into it, and we will make sure it is correct for the vehicle recompile we are planning for jan 1st, which will combine all 5 vehicle chapters done thus far, and add in a few additional vehicles, along with corrections and hopefully some new original artwork.
  22. NarCranor Jedi Knight

star 2
    Hey everyone! Just in time for use as an invaluable companion to the Clone Wars Campaign Guide, we at Fandom Comics ( http://www.fandomcomics.com ) have finally got our Jan 1st update posted! (yeah, we ran a little late, holidays, sue us) Anyway, the massive chapter contains 102 Confederacy vehicles, 81 republic vehicles, and 55 neutral vehicles, ranging from airhooks all the way up to multi-kilometer warships. Thats 238 different vehicles! The chapter also has 56 new emplacements and 19 new stock vehicle templates for use with the existing vehicle modification rules found in Starships of the Galaxy (WOTC).

This combo chapter contains all the previous vehicle chapters done on the site, but was heavily edited and had several additions of vehicles missed in the initial pass, as well as some new artwork, particularly the SX-troop transport, drawn by Eric Allen, which also has a deckplan. Note that we do intend to update this chapter one more time in the near future, after we get our copies of TCW CG, in order to delete some of our stats rendered obsolete by the new product, and add yet more stats for vehicles that we assumed would be in that book that did not make the cut.

In any case, this combination chapter represents nearly the whole of the Fandom Comics RPG effort for 2008, and our first Saga Edition offering. We hope you all find this fan supplement to be useful in your campaigns, and invaluable for those taking place during the Clone Wars era.

As always, should you notice any errors, omissions, or other issues, please make us aware of them so that we can make certain they are corrected when we repost the chapter.

Thank you all for your support and interest,

Keith "Nar" Kappel
  23. JediAlly Jedi Master

star 4
    I was a little surprised that this came out today. In light of the Clone Wars Sourcebook coming up next week, I thought you'd wait to see all the details within the book, then adjust your homebrew stats accordingly. In any case, I'll check this out.
  24. NarCranor Jedi Knight

star 2
    Yeah it was supposed to come out on the 1st, we just got a little delayed on it. We do plan on adjusting things when the official book comes out as well. Mostly this is just going to consist of deleting a number of entries entirely (likely canidates include the medstar frigate, CIS advanced prototype, and others presented in official form in the new book). And then update the table in our sourcebook that lists the locations to find the official stats for these items. We do already have a working list of what is in the new book, so we have an idea of what well be looking at in a week, but until we actually get our hands on the book,its hard to say which vehicles we will feel are covered properly, and which we feel our stats do a more canonically correct job with, and are worth keeping.

However, in general, we have found that we end up restatting capital ships, leave the starfighters, and split on the transports in terms of what official material we find to be worth restatting or not. Also, there will be another round of additions in light of some things that are NOT in the official book that we assumed would be (I believe the tentacle ship that abducts jabbas kid, magnaguard starfighters, republic artillery cannons, and more) Plus we will be adding more stuff from the cartoon episodes, such as the pirate saucers from the most recent episode. You'll notice the D-Class Starfarer from the Wildspace novel did make the cut, a last-minute entry. We felt it was far too good a potential PC party ship not to include.
  25. JediAlly Jedi Master

star 4
    I found the first errata. You have the Techno Union Cormelish-class Battle Mound. I checked the Wook, and it said that in the recent version of the Star Wars Encyclopedia, those battle platforms were called Conqueror-class atmospheric dreadnaughts.

The Skirmisher boarding craft - that's what you're calling those ships that delivered the droid commandos to the Rishi moon in Rookies and the B-2 super battle droids and Ventress to the Tranquility in Cloak of Darkness? If so, I believe that's one of the ships that are going to go.

The Trade Federation Medium Cargo Freighter - Where did that appear?
Moderators: MarcusP2, The2ndQuest