RPG Cracken's Crew website and Clone Wars Sourcebook

Discussion in 'Games' started by JediAlly, Nov 26, 2005.

1. JediAlly Force Ghost

star 4
    Forget what I said about the Skirmisher.

In the text for the LH-3210 Cargo Hauler, you have LG-3210.
  2. Anstrona Jedi Knight

Keith or I are gonna have to pick up the Complete Encyclopedia to get the last few tidbits of info on some stuff since the CE was just released a few weeks ago.

The Skirmisher is from the Jedi Trial book. The Confederates used these ships to covertly board Nejaa Halcyon's flagship Ranger and nearly took the ship. We've actually be pretty sparing with what we were covering from the cartoon because we knew the Clone Wars Campaign Guide was on the horizon and they'd cover a lot of that stuff and we'd have no reason to dispute the stats seeing as the cartoon is the only source.

Trade Federation Medium Cargo Freighter was from the Starfighter and Jedi Starfighter video games. Obscure entry, I know... but I think the LEGO transport was even more obscure, lol.

I've noted the typo in the cargo hauler. All of this stuff will get addressed in the next round of updates for sure. Thanks, Ally.
  3. NarCranor Force Ghost

star 2
    Hey everyone,

Just wanted to inform you all that we have finally put up our converted Dark Side chapter, which is now in Saga Edition. The chapter can be found at http://www.fandomcomics.com . However, in the course of doing this chapter, we really put in a lot of extra work to re-writing entries and adding all the new data from the newer sources to release in the past 18 months. We have also added two additional characters.

For those of you who haven't been around long enough to remember when we put out the D20R version, just some quick thoughts on the philosophy behind the stats. In general, we look at the major players in the films as people who have come to represent the top of their respective fields in the galaxy. For instance, Bail Organa as a Level 9 Noble might work for Threats of the Galaxy, but we see him more as a Level 16 or so character. This is a senior member of the galactic senate, after all. A guy who has risen to the highest halls of power in a galaxy-spanning organization. So, in general, our NPCs will be of a higher level than those officially done by WOTC, with the intention of providing NPCs that will be able to function as "BBEG"s for entire parties. After all, Dooku's dark siders can't really function as much of a threat to a group of players if they are all level 10 and below. And using one of the Separatist Council members as the "evil brain" of a campaign plot seems to work better with them at the 15-20 CL.

Also, we do stat some characters that have already been handled officially in Saga Edition. In these cases, we typically don't have much interest in re-treading the same ground of the official stats with minor tweaks. In most cases, we will try to present a radically different take on the character. We understand that some of these might be considered controversial (We gave Darth Vader levels of scoundrel, for instance, though for good reason).

Finally, with the new Clone Wars cartoon, the timeline during the three years of war has taken a huge hit. No one is quite sure 100% when anything takes place any more. Since we didn't really have a desire to put the project on hold until things are officially straightened out, we made the decision to choose one of the existing fan timelines and use that as our bible. We chose this one: http://timelineuniverse.net/Riseoftheempire.htm#22%20BBY For anyone who feels that some event is listed as taking place at the wrong time, we are always interested in knowing when we have made an error, so we can take steps to correct it. But in the case of timelining, unless it goes against this source, we are content to leave it 'wrong" for the time being. Rest assured, when there is an official word about the sequence of events, and what retconning has to take place to make the timeline work, we will update appropriately.

In any case, the new chapter presents 18 Sith and Dark Jedi that were active during the Clone Wars for use in Clone Wars Campaigns. The pdf file is 36 pages and four pieces of original art by Holly Laing, Tim Sullivan, and TJ Colligan, all of which depict characters who are either never before depicted by official sources, or whose original source had a resolution far too low to make it suitable for presentation.

As always, please let us know what you think of the updated chapter, and fill us in on any errors you might have spotted or comments you might have.
  4. JediAlly Force Ghost

star 4
    Hey, guys. Two things. First off, I think you should check out your website, your computers, and your files. My computer is in the shops dealing with a bad case of a trojan, so I rented a laptop. I downloaded your latest file and saved it to my flash drive. Unfortunately, afterwards, things went wacky on the laptop becauswe it too caught a virus. I had to get the rental rebuilt. When I tried to access the file and the flash drive, I got an indication that the laptop was infected again. Fortunately, I did a system restore and got rid of the virus on the laptop. Now my flashdrive might be infected, just like my computer that's currently in the shop is, or it might be that the new file's infected. I thought I should let you know so you can check it out and make certain things are OK.

Second, I'm familiar with the timeline you're using for the time being. I like it, and I think it's a better alternative than that on the Wook. But I believe the entire timeline won't be settled until the Clone Wars series come to an end. However, we do have some established episodes. From Wild Space, we have Downfall of a Droid and Duel of the Droids, and their associated web comics, occur after the movie. I believe the forthcoming episode and its web comic take place before the movies. Then we have the various arcs - Malevolence, Gunray's capture and escape, Dooku's capture and escape. With luck, the forthcoming novels will allow you to place these episodes in a proper timeline.
  5. Anstrona Jedi Knight

Ally, I did a full sweep of my entire computer, the file I uploaded to our site, and just for good measure I downloaded the file from our site that you would have downloaded and scanned it with AVG, Panda Antivirus, TrendMicro, Ad-Aware and Spybot. Everything came back 100% clean. Thanks for the heads up, but we're all good here. Sorry to hear about your rig. Data loss is always such a pain.
  6. JediAlly Force Ghost

star 4
    I haven't lost any data. Or at least I don't think I have. I get a data execution prevention message for Windows Explorer when I turn on the computer, and can't go any further. I should get the computer back in a week. I just hope they don't have to wipe the computer and build it again from scratch. Regardless of the result, I'll either run an anti-virus and anti-spyware on the flash drive, or wipe it and start fresh.
  7. JediAlly Force Ghost

star 4
    Hey, guys. Looking at the Saga Dark Side, and I got a few questions.

Palpatine - after the various retcons and so forth, I think it took Palpatine's spirit a year to reach Byss and possess a clone body. He then spent the next five years recovering and growing stronger before he sought control of the galaxy again.

Vader - you gave him Use the Force +21 at the Battle of Mustafar and +18 at the end of the movie. The reduction was to reflect the loss of his connection to the Force because of the numerous implants and prosthetics he received in order to survive, right?

The new Nightsisters from Jedi Alliance - I got the game though I haven't gotten very far. One of the main reasons is that with six characters, you got fifteen team-ups, and there are secret areas on some levels that can't be reached unless you have either one or both characters with specific abilities. The point is, you decided Anakin and Obi-Wan faced off against one of them, while Anakin and Mace went up against the other. Was that an arbitrary decision, or do either of you have the game and played those specific levels with those characters?
  8. JediAlly Force Ghost

star 4
    Under Vulpus, you have Use the Force +11 and Use the Force +16.
  9. Anstrona Jedi Knight

Awesome, thanks for all the good catches. You're right on the Palpatine thing and the discrepancy on Vulpus (it should all be +16). I'm planning on posting an updated copy of this chapter this weekend. Guys over at the Wizards and SWRPGNetwork forum caught one or two other minor errors that I'd like to fix.

For Vader, you're right. For every prosthetic implant you have, you take a -1 penalty to Use the Force checks, to a maximum of -5. He's got 4 implants, two arms, and two legs.

As far as the Jedi Alliance content, neither one of us have played the game, but Keith has the strategy guide and he used that to make his write-up. You'll have to take it up with him.
  10. NarCranor Force Ghost

star 2
    Yeah for Jedi Alliance I used the pairings the strategy guide set up, since that is about as close to the "official story" for that game that we are going to get.
  11. JediAlly Force Ghost

star 4
    Ah, I see what you did. Maybe I should do that as well. I've been waiting for a strategy guide to appear on gamefaqs.com, where someone would give what they consider to be the optimal team for all missions.
  12. NarCranor Force Ghost

star 2
    Well I dont know about "optimal" but for story purposes, here are the team ups that are shown in the strategy guide.

Mission 1: Prelude (Anakin & Ahsoka)
    Mission 2: Rodia 1 (Obi-Wan & Anakin)
    Mission 3: Coruscant (Plo Koon & Mace Windu)
    MIssion 4: Rodia 2 (Obi-Wan & Anakin)
    Mission 5: Christophsis 1 (Obi-Wan & Anakin)
    Mission 6: Dathomir 1 (Plo Koon & Ahsoka)
    Mission 7: Christophsis 2 (R2-D2 & C3P0)
    Mission 8: Dathomir 2 (Plo Koon & Ahsoka)

For Mission 9, I think technically you are supposed to use pairs you have already selected, but the guide has these pairings for the 3 parts instead, so we went with what the guide had, even though you cant technically do it with the game.

Mission 9: Devastation Part 1 (Plo Koon & Ahsoka)
    Mission 9: Devastation Part 2 (Obi-Wan & Kit Fisto)
    Mission 9: Devastation Part 3 (Anakin & Mace Windu)

So there you are. I can't speak to ultimate pairings. Im not sure if all the levels with environmental secrets have jedi capable of breaking down the walls to access the crystals hidden. But that is what the guide went with.
  13. Anstrona Jedi Knight

I've done some small corrections and updates to the Dark Side document and posted it to our site just this afternoon. I've also included a change log inside the zip with the pdf so those who are printing these documents can conserve on reprinting. I'll do my best to keep doing that from here on out.
  14. JediAlly Force Ghost

star 4
    Hey guys. Hope things are going well for you. I got a question for you. I was reading Rather Darkness Visible from Tales #19, and there was the ship that Dooku was in. It was unfamiliar to me, so I looked it up on the Wook and in your work. The Wook called it a Confederacy air cruiser, but I didn't see it in your works. From the Wook, I know it's from Galactic Battlegrounds, but that's it. Did you guys miss this one?
  15. NarCranor Force Ghost

star 2
    Hrm I could have sworn we did that one...but Im having a hard time finding it. Of course, you can pretty much just use the stats for the LAATAK or wookiee air cruiser or the republic one. There were 6 different factions worth of air cruisers in the game, and they are all fairly comparable.

Also, alien chapter is done for saga, we just havent posted yet, ought to be up tomorrow though.
  16. NarCranor Force Ghost

star 2
    Well, its a few days late, but we have the alien chapter up. This chapter includes Saga Edition stats and write ups for 33 alien species as yet un-statted by WOTC for use during the Clone Wars era. Also, we have done something a little different with Near-Human species, 10 of which are included. Hope you all enjoy the chapter, and as always, let us know what you think. Particularly curious what people think of the near-human stuff, as it is a bit different.
  17. JediAlly Force Ghost

star 4
    Looked through it. I agree that the near-human section is definitely different. From what you're saying, if I want to create a Pantoran character, I start off with creating a Human equivalent, then add/subtract the suggested feats/skills to make the character Pantoran.

And speaking of the Pantorans, I have to question if they are Near-Humans. Granted most of them resembled Humans, but Chairman Cho's face was definitely more angular. In addition, they traveled on Orto Plutonia in regular clothings, while Anakin, Obi-Wan, and the rest donned cold weather gear. Now, you said they're resistant to the cold weather on Pantora. That would sound like they would receive a species bonus to Survival skill checks made to survive in cold environments, akin to the Red Nikto's +4 species bonus to Survival skill checks made to survive in arid environments. But the fact they weren't bothered by the cold on Orto Plutonia suggests it's more than a species bonus in this case.

One more thing. With some of the near-Humans, you have Sacrificed listed for the Suggested Feat or Skill. What exactly does that mean?
  18. NarCranor Force Ghost

star 2
    George lucas' baron papanoida is also listed as a pantoran now, his face is anything but angular.

Sacrificed means that the normal human bonus feat or bonus skill (whichever its listed as) is sacrificed, you dont get it, instead, you get the other feat or whatever. This was done in cases where we felt that whatever feat or whatever else we were giving was a bit too powerful, and wanted some way to sort of hip check it with some balancing factor.

But yes, the basic idea is that they are near human, so treat them as human (re: no attribute changes) but instead of getting a free bonus skill and bonus feat, you get teh ones we have suggested for that species. That would normally be a no benefit situation, so we make it where if the bonus skill they get isnt a class skill normally, it is for that species, and if they dont meet requirements for the feat, they still get access to the feat.
  19. NarCranor Force Ghost

star 2
    Hey everyone, just wanted to let you all know that Tron has finished and posted the Weapons conversion for the Clone Wars Fan Sourcebook at http://www.fandomcomics.com . The chapter looks gorgeous and contains crunch for 66 different weapons entries in use during the Clone Wars era! I am personally really happy with this chapter, and feel it is some of the best Saga Edition work we have produced on the site thus far. Give it a look and let us know what you think, along with any errors or typos or concerns you may have! (We do love to debate!).

Anyway, enjoy the chapter!
  20. NarCranor Force Ghost

star 2
    Alright, we have posted the new gear chapter, and already integrated it with the weapons chapter. I honestly think this is one of the best done things we have put up thus far. The gear is really creatively handled by Tron as far as providing unique benefits. Lots of great tools to benefit you Medic PRCs out there! Download this and please give us some feedback on the entire thing, curious what people think of the fantastic job tron did.

In other news, I am down to the final 3 NPCs to stat for the first Fringe NPC section, which is going to go up July 1st, likely to be followed by Fringe Force Users on Aug 1st, and Jedi Council update/conversion to saga on Sep 1st. After that we will probably just be alternating between Jedi conversions/updates and fringer NPCs until the end of the year, when we do droids (right after the official droid book comes out, so we can see what is officially done already).

In any case, download the new chapter, enjoy it, and let us know if you find any errors, issues, or typos!
  21. JediAlly Force Ghost

star 4
    Smart decision on the droid chapter.

Question - I remember the prestiges you two came up with. Any chance of them being converted to Saga talent trees, or are they going to disappear completely?
  22. NarCranor Force Ghost

star 2
    Some of our PRCs will come back as talent trees. Tron is handling pretty much all of the Jedi chapter conversions while I move ahead with the Fringe NPCs. So what stays, what gets converted, and what new stuff gets created will really depend on the needs of the NPCs and at the end of that, if Tron or I have some cool ideas for stuff well make some. That said, I think a lot of the stuff wed go for is either already covered, or likely will be (new noble build book incoming, as well as soldier build book, and I can only imagine scout isnt that far off)

Of course, if the noble build book doesnt have Senator, expect that to appear in some form, but something like Republic Commando? Probably not. There is already Elite Trooper, Vanguard, Infiltrator, and a number of other PRCs that can be used or combined to represent the various Republic Commandos, so Im not sure they need their own PRC anymore. We will really have to wait and see on a lot of that. As far as Jedi PRCs? I wouldnt expect them to return as PRCs, maybe as talent trees, more likely well just take the best of what we did, and make them into talents for existing trees.
  23. NarCranor Force Ghost

star 2
    Well, it is up, and on time! This chapter is the latest in our Clone Wars Fan Sourcebook, designed to be a great compliment (but never a replacement) for the TCW CG published by WOTC. Contained in this chapter are all the members of the criminal underworld active during the Clone Wars era. The chapter ended up with about 40 NPCs, 30 Minions/Followers, 6 Vehicles, 6 Alien Species, 1 Weapon 1 Feat, and a few Legacy Destinies.

There were originally 6 new organizations that were supposed to debut in this chapter as well, but time constraints prevented their inclusion. Look for a new chapter down the road to include the Desilijic Hutt Clan, Besadii Hutt Clan, Tenloss Syndicate, Clatuvaac Hyperspace Navigator's Guild, Ohnaka's Raiders, and the Zygerrian Slavers Guild. Characters are still given organizational scores, but no SQs are listed for those Organizations, since I haven't statted them yet.

Anyway, I hope everyone enjoys this chapter, which represents our full-time (hopefully triumphant) return to NPC statting for the next year or so. As always, please let us know what you think of the builds, and inform us of any typos, errors, or anything of that nature that you come across, and tell us how much you enjoyed/despised the chapter!

Look forward to hearing the feedback, and in the mean time I'm getting started on my Non-Jedi Force Users section of the fringe chapter!
  24. JediAlly Force Ghost

star 4
    Kowakian Monkey Lizards - The old d6 form has these rascals as creatures only. But the Saga seems to make them sentient species. I'm left confused as to which applies to these rascals, and therefore which stats should be used for them - creature stats or alien species stats.

Ziro the Hutt - There might be a problem with the timeline in the entry. According to the website you referred me to about the SW timeline, the events of Jedi Alliance took place before the Blue Shadow Virus crisis on Naboo, long before Ziro's escape in Hostage Crisis. But you have Jedi Alliance taking place after Hostage Crisis. I guess this might be something that needs to be addressed once Season 2 takes off. Also, Ziro has stats listed in the Clone Wars Campaign Guide. If you planned on giving stats for him after his escape/appearance in Jedi Alliance, did you use the stats in the book as a starting point?
  25. NarCranor Force Ghost

star 2
    Thanks for browsing it so carefully! As always, your input is valued, Ally. Lets see if we can't address your concerns...

Monkey Lizards: Yeah, its a judgement call on these guys. D20 Alien Anthology had them as creatures, but with an Intelligence score of 6 or so. In Saga, Creatures must have an Int of 3 or less, and they are definitely semi-sentient. Pilf Mukmuk, Hondo Ohnaka's Kowakian, seemed quite intelligent, able to pickpocket, inform, and use tools and the like (he tries poisoning the Jedi half a dozen times in his webcomic at the official site). In the Tales From Jabbas Palace anthology, Salacious Crumb's tale shows him to be fairly sophisticated and sentient, and not at all animal-like. All that research led me to make the judgement call that they deserve to be done up as an alien species. Of course, this can certainly be debated, but it was definitely something done intentionally.

Ziro: Well, this is more a timeline issue than a Ziro issue, but the timeline we have been going by did put Jedi Alliance after Ziro's escape. But I think it has to be....If Ziro hasn't been free SINCE being locked up, and the first season's worth of episodes are released in chronological order, then Ziro isnt out of prison and free to be back in his palace until after Season 1. Jedi Alliance can't take place prior to season 1/the movie because Ahsoka is in it. Of course, we have yet to get much in the way of official word on timelining shifts in light of the movie and cartoon series. So I am sure a lot of our write ups will require a shuffling of the timelines at some point down the road when things get a bit more nailed down. Our focus at this point is more on being consistent than on being "correct", since there is so much ambiguity at the present time on when certain events take place.

For a look at the timeline we are using (though we did make some modifications to the first 6 months for our purposes), check out the site here: http://timelineuniverse.net/Riseoftheempire.htm#22%20BBY

As for Ziro's stats not being offshoots of the official ones, if you will recall our Jedi and Dark Sider chapters, we stat everyone, regardless of if they have been officially statted or not. On those that have been statted already, we often go out of our way to do an "alternate take" on them. For instance, our D20R Dooku had levels of Melee Duelist. We often feel that some of the more "main" characters presented in hte official material are a little too low a level to represent the power they wield in the galaxy, so often our NPCs are a bit more beefed up, level wise. We also have access to all the various official sourcebooks, and are able to take feats and talents and PRCs from them all to suit the character in the way we feel is most appropriate, while the official books are only allowed to take talents and feats that are either in the core book or the book the NPC appears in. So the two builds are completely unrelated, and don't try and show any sort of progression.

Anyway, thanks again for taking the time to read the doc! Hope it was enjoyable!