main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RPG Cracken's Crew website and Clone Wars Sourcebook

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by JediAlly, Nov 26, 2005.

1. NarCranor

NarCranor Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 1, 2005
    I would suggest redownloading it. We reposted it with a few error corrections. Now, on to the errors you guys pointed out.

Zonder: That actually isnt enough for me. Since it is Inquisitor Tremayne's line, who is to say he knows the difference between male and female selonians. If it were Drake or Ekria, I would definately relent, but tremayne has a flawed perspective. Just because he says it doesn't make it the truth. I will, however, look into it as promised. Also, the ultimate alien anthology mentions that the female selonians tend to be the larger of the two genders. I will go through the strip again carefully, to see if any of the other actual jedi give her a gender pronoun.

Kass Todd: This was fixed. Youll notice she does have the resilient and resolute species SQ. We just didnt change the template. That happened in a few other places too.

Codi Ty: Despite his appearance to the contrary, Codi Ty is in fact a male. Allara refers to Codi as a him. Again, perhaps flawed perspective? In the first issue, however, Codi Ty has no breasts, while Shaak Ti does. Also, Allara did have time during the shuttle trip to get to know Codi Ty before going before the council. I would imagine she would get it right. Unlike Tremayne, who merely saw a hulking mangy beast. How many times has a visitor referred to a pet dog as a boy rather than a girl, or vice versa?

2. NarCranor

Mar 1, 2005
    Well, a small update here. Our Cracken's Crew artist, Steve Criado, suffered a bit of a setback this week. Unfortunately, that means our march 1st update of page 12 of the comic will not be ready in time. So instead, we are planning to release an updated Dark Side chapter, with some fixes (including the doppleganger thing) and some new artwork for characters that did not have any previously.

Page 12 will instead go up on the 15th of the month, along with the Jedi Knights chapter of the clone wars fan sourcebook.

3. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    Here's a little tidbit for you and your associates, NarCrenor. Gry Sarth and some of his associates at The Rancor Pit had come up with an Attack of the Clones Sourcebook. You might want to consider referring to it because it has d6 stats of the various Jedi who appeared in the movie, and these Jedi will be featured in the forthcoming chapter releases of your sourcebook. Here's the link to his thread:

Galaxy Guide 15 - Attack of the Clones

4. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    I posted this at the WotC boards (as Lord Phobetor) and I'll add my thoughts here as well:

I like your build of Count Dooku. I can see him as a Consular/Master type. Just one quibble, though: I think he'd take levels of Jedi Weapon Master sooner than I can see him taking levels of Master Duelist. Basically swap out the levels of Duelist for JWM, making him a Jedi Consular 7/Jedi Weapon Master 3/Jedi Master 5/Sith Lord 3. The base attack prgression and bonus feats that a Consular gets dovetail nicely into the Weaponmaster prereqs: take Combat Expertise at 2nd level, Weapon Focus (lightsaber) at 7th, BAB is +5, and Bob's yer uncle! The levels of Jedi Weapon Master would give him a bonus die on lightsaber damage, as well as something like Superior Weapon Focus or Weapon Specialization with the lightsaber as his Weapon Mastery class benefits.

As far as stats for Lord Sidious, I'm astounded by the nigh-pathological avoidance that I've seen both with your stats and the stats of the Sith in the DSSB:

Why not use levels of Jedi as part of a Sith PrC build?

Now, before folks break out the torches & pitchforks, hear me out: the Sith are a group of schismatic Jedi. Moreover, according to the New Essential Chronology, the schism happened more recently that we were initially led to believe. Quite simply, the Sith take Jedi techniques of manipulating the Force, and take them in a different direction. There's no need to have some sort of "Dark Jedi" core class, as someone trained in the Sith tradition would rack up the DSPs necessary to qualify for the Sith PrCs in pretty short order. Also, from the RCR page 61:
    There's no need for Sith to have levels in Force Adept, unless they began their careers as "wild talents" as the RCR implies. According to your own write-up, Palpatine begain Sith training and later insinuated himself into politics, rather than being a politician gone horribly wrong. Moreover, the class features of the Sith Lord PrC mimic many of those of a low-level Noble, a point of contention I have with both the RCR and the new write-up.

As far as Lord Sidious' combat prowess, well-timed Force Points, along with Rage, Improved Critical, Farseeing (it allows you a re-roll), and Heroic Surge allow him to dominate the fight against the "Dream Team" (those who follow Dark Horse Comics know why I call them that). Throw in that little blub from the Dark Side Sourcebook about the penalties for being in a dark side site -and I'd consider the Sith Master's reception office to be such a place- and it's not hard at all to see how Darth Sidious pwnd them all. As a matter of fact, I'm working on translating the battles of the Saga into game terms.

All in all, I'd say either Jedi Consular 4/Sith Acolyte 2/Sith Warrior 4/Sith Lord 10, or perhaps Jedi Consular 6/Sith Warrior 4/Sith Lord 10. Heck, if you wanted to weasel your way into getting another die of lightsaber damage (giving him equivalent to Mace Windu's 7d8) you could go with Jedi Consular 2/Dark Side Marauder 2/Sith Warrior 6/Sith Lord 10. Personally, I'd go with option 1 myself.

As far as Anakin/Darth Vader, I'm torn. If ever there was a Jedi Ace, he's the exemplar. However, given the way that the PrC is set up, I have trouble seeing Anakin going for it. Here's why: The BAB progression iz teh suq!1!!1! I can see the rationale that Anakin took up the Jedi Weapon Master PrC after getting his hiney handed to him by Darth Tyranus. (as an aside, statistically, Dooku should've "rounded" the young Padawan. I'll be addressing that in my "game translation" attempt) However, I also see "Anakin's player" as something of a "power gamer," and I don't see him giving up precious base attack progression. I can see him taking a "level dip" to get Starship Operations-St

5. NarCranor

Mar 1, 2005
    Glad you took the time to read and analyze the stats so closely. While I will address some of your specific comments, the bottom line when it comes to builds is this. It is completely open to interpretation. You could build sidious as a level 20 noble and not be "wrong". We went with what we felt best reflected the characters we were writing up and researching.

Dooku: We felt the Master Duelist was more in line with his attitude as a social elitist. It is also a class you don't often see, and we wanted to use it. Part of the reason for bothering to do stats for the characters that have already been officially statted, is to provide an alternate build that offers players different types of challenges. Canny Defense and Showmanship were two SQs that we really felt reflected on Dooku's character. You can tell he prefers a certain amount of performance to his fighting, as though it were all an over the top holo drama. Is it the ultimate min/maxed build? No. But that isn't neccesarily what we are trying to do with every single build.

Sidious: Yes, we went with the idea that sidious was a sith first, and then became a politician as a means to an end. I disagree that sith should be able to use jedi levels interchangably. Not all sith are trained in the ways of the jedi order specifically. For an example of this, while Darth Maul was built with a JG build for the original core rulebook, the DSSB builds him wihtout the use of any jedi classes. The Jedi levels are for Jedi. Sith are NOT jedi. They are descendant from Jedi, and sometimes jedi turn to the dark side and discover the sith teachings, but I do not get the impression that Palpatine was once a member of the Jedi Order. He, like Maul, was trained by the sith. We felt a force adept base reflected this best. That was a conscious decision on our part.

Anakin: Anakin is impossible to stat. The things he does as a padawan defy any game system you could create. He gains an insane amount of levels in a very short period of time. He is the wild card, and the D20 rules don't really allow for that because they are fairly balanced. There is no way to build anakin within the rules in a way that really works. We did what we felt was most representative.

Ventress: We gave her more levels. She kills Jedi Masters two at a time. She HAS to be tough. We didnt like all the officer levels the WOTC site gave her, as she didn't seem to spend time ordering troops around. She just fought jedi to a standstill or killed them. As for Sora Bulq, he co-developed vapaad with mace windu.

The idea is that different GMs will have different requirements. A lot of the officially statted characters we have been given are fairly low level with a few exceptions. A lot of players out there play their characters forever, and get to a point where if yoda and mace sat out, a party of 4 players oculd take on the rest of the jedi council and do ok. So in many cases, we wanted to make sure we could provide challenges for GMs to throw at characters. Some GMs might run a different styled game or a lower level game and use different stats. Some campaigns might require a much more non-combat character RP approach, where they need dooku and sidious builds with way more points in diplomacy, bluff and sense motive, and that can change the entire build around. So while I appreciate that not all our stats are neccesarily your ideal builds for some of the characters, in all fairness, the only person who can create your ideal builds, is you.

In any case, look forward to seeing your assessment of our padawan chapter, which we have also released.

6. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Responded at the WotC boards, no time to re-post :p

The short version: we geeks can disagree, but it's all good [face_coffee]

7. MasterKazur

MasterKazur Jedi Youngling star 3

May 13, 2004
    Jedi Merkurian are you certain Anakin traded in two levels of Jedi Ace for Sith Lord levels? That would mean he doesn't level up during Episode III right?

He starts as Fringer 1/Jedi Guardian 5/Jedi Weapon Master 3/Jedi Ace 4 (13 levels total)

and he ends as Fringer 1/Jedi Guardian 5/Jedi Weapon Master 3/Jedi Ace 2/Sith Lord 2

Is this correct?
    I'm only asking because I asked you about this before and you said the official answer was that he traded in one level of Jedi Ace and then leveled up after the Temple raid.
    Meaning he started with 3 levels of Jedi Ace (level 12 total) and then leveled up to 13.
    But I could have misunderstood you back then.

I just did some research and it would be most likely that he traded in two levels of Jedi Ace, since his official stats from WotC says that the F 1/JG 5/JWM 3/JA 2/SL 2 are as of his attack on the temple.
    And I don't really see him leveling up after the Windu thing.

Whats the deal :)

8. jasconsolojediknight

jasconsolojediknight Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 31, 2006
    I can't get it to work?

9. Anstrona

Anstrona Jedi Youngling

May 14, 2005
    According to Gary Sarli AKA Wizo_the_Hutt - the guy who created the stats we're referring to on the Wizards site - he said Anakin traded 1 level of Jedi Guardian, and then leveled to gain the second level either during his assault on the Jedi Temple or while killing the Separatist leaders. So during RotS before he became Darth Vader he would've been FRG1/JG6/JA2/JWM3. That is the build I used for him in our Clone Wars Sourcebook, and that will appear in our Jedi Council sub-chapter update which if I'm not mistaken we have scheduled for April 15th.

10. KudosDas

KudosDas Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2005
    Brilliant work on the Padawans as always guys! :)

11. NarCranor

Mar 1, 2005
    Jascon, just right click on the link and save link as. Then open the file. It is a zip file of an adobe .pdf. So if you dont have adobe acrobat and winzip, you might have some issues with the file. Other than that, I can't see why it wouldn't work...maybe if you explain your problem in more detail.

12. MasterKazur

MasterKazur Jedi Youngling star 3

May 13, 2004
    Thanks alot Anstrona...

13. NarCranor

Mar 1, 2005
    Well, its the first of the month, and you guys know what that means by now. Updates. Today's site updates include a revised Dark Side Chapter of our Clone Wars Fan Sourcebook. We did numerous tweaks (including switching Dooku and his "clone" over to the Force Doppleganger explanation. We also added three new images we had done up by some great artists Holly Laing, TJ Colligan, and Tim Sullivan.

This would appear to be TJ Colligan's week, as he also has a sketchbook up that gives a sneak peek into Fandom Comic's latest comic book project Tales of the Chu'Unthor. Take an advance look at what is sure to be an exciting story we are kicking off this May. TJ was also added to the staff page.

Anyway, enjoy the update guys, and let us know what you think of the revisions on the Dark Side Chapter. Also if you ever wanted to go over the Padawan chapter with a fine tooth comb, nows the time, before we focus on that revision.

On March 15th you can expect page 12 of Cracken's Crew, and the Jedi Knights chapter of the Clone Wars Fan Sourcebook!

14. JediAlly

Oct 31, 2000
    Well, it arrived late, and it may be late where I am, but the next chapter is now up. Gave it a brief look, and not bad. Not too shabby at all. A redefinition of the Jedi Watchman, a new Martial Arts tree. But I have a question. There seem to be a bunch of Jedi who are missing. I know there's a Jedi Master chapter to come, but I don't think these Jedi are Jedi Masters.

Purge: Jastus Farr (he's one the alien guardsmen at the Jedi Temple in the ROTS video game), Sia-Lan Wezz

Dark Lord: Siadem Forte, Iwo Kulka, Jambe Lu, Nam Poorf

There are also from Dark Lord the Padawans Deran Nalual and Klossi Anno. I read Dark Lord once, and as I recall, the Jedi who received the most focus in the book were Roan Shryne and Olee Starstone. As such, while you had enough to make up stats for Olee, and presumably enough for Roan Shryne and Bol Chatak, there might not have been enough information for you to have come up with stats for the other Jedi who appeared in the book.

15. NarCranor

Mar 1, 2005
    Well we managed to get our update completed on the last moments of the 15th of March. This update brings you another chapter in our Clone Wars D20 Fan Sourcebook, the Jedi Knights. We present 25 of the more prominent Jedi Knights from the Clone Wars era.

Perhaps most notable to the fan community in this particular chapter is the inclusion of Ausar Auset, Durnar, and T'bolton from the Siege of Saleucami. These three characters were named for members of the Dark Horse Comics forums. I contacted the three of them to talk about what they wanted their character to be, and for T'Bolton and Durnar, who were never pictured, we had the talented Matt Skilton draw a great looking pin-up for us!

Im very curious what you all think of the chapter, and would love to see any errors you guys spot so we can get them corrected. Also, I apologise for the fact that we posted this about 23 hours later than we normally would have, but to be honest, my internet connection was down for a few days, and we just ended up in a position where he had to rush to get the project out, still technically on the 15th, just the very last moments of it.

In terms of the Knights you say are missing. There are actually more missing than that. There are half a dozen from E2 that die at geonosis. We are planning on just doing a sidebar for them when we recompile the entire jedi chapter, as well as some of the other unmentioned jedi. The four from dark lord just really didn't have enough information to create an entire stat and write up, not to mention the fact that we have zero information about anything they did in the clone wars, as Dark Lord takes place after the clone wars. We made the decision not to include them.

As for the two from Purge, they face a similar problem, but Purge might have been released just too close to our deadline to include all those guys, though we did manage to stick updates in Bultar Swan's stats and write up. You may very well see those two knights from purge in an update or in the final recompile, and rest assured, the Masters will more than likely also make it in. It is much easier to do stats and a write up for a character briefly seen that at least has an image associated with them. It is much harder when it is an obscure novel reference.

Roan Shryne will definately make the cut. Bol Chattak is still debatable. As it is even with 20 masters (not from the council) already completed, I still have over 40 on my to-do list, and I only have 60 days until the deadline on the master chapter, and that might even need some researching for some names I missed in my first pass. When the Jedi Chapter is completed, it is going to have stats and write ups for over 150 members of the Jedi Order that are active during the Clone Wars. We have already posted 68 characters (plus the 15 dark siders). That means between the Council and Masters sections, you are going to get another 75+ characters. Personally, we kind of felt that was enough to accomplish during our first pass for two guys :) .

The nice thing about this project is that it is a living document. Nothing is 100% set in stone. A year from now, when we have gotten through every planned chapter, we can go back and start filling in gaps with some of the lesser characters if we want to. We can update with all the new information that has been released in that year. Definately keep pointing things like that out as you see them. we appreciate it, it helps us make certain we ARE covering all the bases, or are at least aware of the ones we arent. I just hope no one gets too upset if there is something we just geniunely didnt feel was neccesary to do...Of course, if there is enough demand for a specific "cut" character, we'd do it...

Anyway, thank you again for your support of the project! It is greatly appreciated!

16. JediAlly

Oct 31, 2000
    Two questions about the Jedi Watchman/Jedi Shadow situation. You're saying that the Jedi watchman prestige presented at WOTC should be taken as the Jedi shadow prestige. Does that changes any of the special qualities or other information presented in the Jedi watchman prestige article at WotC?

Second, there's a fan-made Knights of the Old Republic Sourcebook. I don't remember where the link is, but I did download a copy of it onto my computer. If you want, I can copy the info about Jedi shadows in that work and send it to you via e-mail, so you know what I'm talking about. If you do want it, then once you see it, I guess I should take your statement about the Jedi shadow prestige over the fan-made sourcebook. Right?

17. NarCranor

Mar 1, 2005
    In the tales of the jedi WEG RPG sourcebook, they detailed 5 jedi templates. The Jedi Shadow, the Jedi Beastmaster, the Jedi Healer, The Jedi Mystic, and The Jedi Battle Master. Shadows specifically were assigned to watching other Jedi, or those who had left the Jedi Order, to see if they turned to the Dark Side. If they did, it was up to the Jedi Shadow to take care of business. They were stealthy, and deadly. This is basically the spirit of WOTC's "Jedi Watchman" class.

Now, Jedi Watchmen were assigned to a specific planet or system and given stewardship of it. Tholme was the Watchman of Kiffix, Ki Adi Mundi was once the Watchman of Cerea. Master Arca Jeth was the watchman of the onderon system, Jafer Torles was the watchman of Cartao. Jedi Watchmen watch over a specific planet or system to recognize problems and solve them before they become a threat to galactic peace.

Obviously these are two very different types of characters, and since both "titles" had already been established in previous EU, and the WOTC Jedi Watchman class (taken from the KOTOR video game) contradicted that directly, we decided to go with what we felt was the right way.

18. JediAlly

Oct 31, 2000
    Thanks for the clarification. I just reread the WotC article, and you're right. That's more appropriate for the Shadow than the Watchman.

19. NarCranor

Mar 1, 2005
    Alright everyone, its the first of the month again, and that means a brand new comic page! This month we bring you page 12 of Cracken's Crew: The Invisible War, beautifully rendered by Steve Criado. Page production on Cracken's Crew has slowed of late, due to Steve's increased workload at his real job. While that situation will persist for the near future, we do have an additional comic title being added to the Fandom Comics lineup in May! Tales of the Chu'Unthor is a new four-issue mini series focusing on the trials and tribulations of the eclectic crew of Jedi and civilians onboard the mighty Chu'Unthor, an ancient Jedi training ship that plied the spacelanes four centuries before the Battle of Yavin! Written by Keith Kappel, Art by TJ Colligan.

Also, be sure to check back with us on the 15th for our Jedi Council Clone Wars D20 Fan Sourcebook update!

20. NarCranor

Mar 1, 2005
    Just five short days until our Clone Wars D20 Fan Sourcebook Jedi Council chapter goes up. Despite having very few characters, this is actually our longest chapter yet. Anakin and Obi-Wan just have mammoth write ups that detail all their documented clone wars adventures. Basically if someone was on the council between E2 and E3, they will be included here (except Eeth Koth, who was omitted because he dies so quickly in the clone wars, and we decided not to do full stats for those who die at geonosis on this first pass on the Jedi chapter). I think that basically ends up meaning no Yaddle and no Yarel Poof, as they both die prior to the clone wars breaking out, and of course no Eeth Koth. Otherwise, I think the entire E1 council is included, though I could be missing someone. Anyway, just 5 more days!

21. JediAlly

Oct 31, 2000
    Since Eeth Koth was offed in AOTC and won't be covered, I take it the same can be said about Coleman Trebor. And of course we have the mysterious fate of Even Piell.

Are you also going to be doing a Jedi Masters chapter. We have at least Nejaa Halcyon and Tohno in that chapter. There might be others whom I can't recall right now.

22. NarCranor

Mar 1, 2005
    we are actually doing two jedi master chapters that cover non-council masters. A-K and L-Z. there are just a lot of them. Have no fear though, both tohno and halcyon will be covered.

23. SBD-518

SBD-518 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 10, 2005
    1 more day now?

24. NarCranor

Mar 1, 2005
    Well, it is that time of the month again, and this month we bring you an all new chapter of the Fandom Comics Clone Wars D20 Fan Sourcebook: The Jedi Council. This chapter covers all the Jedi characters who served on the council during the Clone Wars. It is our largest chapter to date, and covers a lot of characters that have been covered by official sources in the past, but we felt many of those stattings were not up to date with all the current character info out there.

The write ups are long and intense, covering every council member's path during the war. The thought here was that for those of you GMs out there who want to include cameos in your campaigns by council members, you can use our write ups to help find an appropriate gap, as well as provide filler background info to add depth. Anyway, I hope you all enjoy the chapter, please let us know about any grammatical or continuity errors in the write ups, or any comments or errors with stats, we always appreciate it.

Also, remember, May 15th is when we are releasing the first Jedi Master Chapter (A-K) and June 15th will be Jedi Masters (L-Z)!

25. SBD-518

SBD-518 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 10, 2005
    What ever happened to A'Sharad Hett? He'd either come under A or H, unless you are putting him in as Sharad Hett. He was a jedi master through the clone wars, and even survived the purge.