RPG Cracken's Crew website and Clone Wars Sourcebook

Discussion in 'Games' started by JediAlly, Nov 26, 2005.

1. JediAlly Force Ghost

star 4
    I think you should complete this using RCRB, then go Saga if you want. First off, you'll have a chance to see how others react to the Saga version. If their view is favorable, then go for it. If the opinion is unfavorable, then don't go for it. Secondly, it'll give WotC time to post errata/revisions and release additional Saga sourcebooks which you can then use.
  2. Sen_Enteel Jedi Padawan

Hey everyone!

We have another big update to our growing collection of Clone wars sourcebooks up on the site and ready for your perusal! This time we've added the second half of the Republic Chapter. This sourcebook is pretty large - a whopping 94 pages - and features 42 NPCs not covered in the last Republic chapter, most of whom are from the Republic Army, Navy, Senate Bureau of Intelligence, or Senate guard.* Also included are two senators and one senatorial aide that we didn't finish in time for the first half posted back in March.

If you look on the updates page at our website you might also see that we've made some corrections to several exising sourcebooks based on tips and suggestions made by all of you.

Please stop by the website and check it out. If you catch any errors, or have any questions or ideas for us, we would be most appreciative if you post them here for us. After all, we make most of our corrections based on information from all of you - the D20 fans. Thanks as always for your continued support, and we hope to hear soon what you all think of our newest addition!

* These are not clones. Clones will be covered in its own chapter.

Sen Enteel (Dawn)
    http://www.fandomcomics.com
  3. JediAlly Force Ghost

star 4
    First off, in regards to your weapons chapter, I couldn't make a comment about it because I don't recognize a bunch of them. I take it most of these weapons can be found in the Republic Commando game and associated novels and short stories. I have yet to read those and Dark Rendezvous.

As for this chpater, one mistake so far. It's Pengalan IV, not Pengalon IV.

Finally, I think in the future, you should combine the weapons chapter with the forthcoming armor and equipment chapter.
  4. JediAlly Force Ghost

star 4
    Found another one - the Dreadnaught Barrow Oicunn served on was the Mas Ramadar, not Mas Ramdar.
  5. NarCranor Force Ghost

star 2
    Good eye as always, Ally! Thanks so much, you have always been one of our stronger supporters. Just FYI, Weapons, Armor and Equipment will probably be combined. Thanks again! and let us know if you find anything else!

Keith
  6. JediAlly Force Ghost

star 4
    At least we got something, though I'm certain the clone trooper aficionados had been drooling over the armors and equipments you were originally planning to present. Now I'm certain they want to drop Keith into the sarlacc, where he'd experience a new meaning to the words pain and suffering as he's slowly digested over a thousand years.
  7. Anstrona Jedi Knight

Yeah, I'm trying to razz Keith a bit. Negative reinforcement - lighting a match under his behind, basically. The armor/items chapter is actually gonna be combined with the weapons chapter when we release it (with corrections to the weapons chapter obviously). So far, we've got roughly 200 pieces of armor and equipment and an additional 12 weapons. We had the armor/items split evenly between Keith and myself. I had 108 to start, and Keith had about 105 plus the weapons. By mid-month I had totally jammed through mine...having all but 8 finished (because they needed input from some of Keith's items), and I went ahead and did the weapons on top of that. Keith on the other hand managed to get about a dozen of his finished. He was really busy with all kinds of crap last month so I can't dump on him too bad. We all have days where we just can't seem to get anything done. Mine just don't tend to clump together into month-long blocks :p
  8. NarCranor Force Ghost

star 2
    Gah! Tron you mutinous bastard! j/k yeah I had issues last month getting work done. I just had too much on my plate basically, and ran around like a little chicken with its head cut off. I did get SOME items done. The good news is (and I say this without any evidence to support it) I shouldn't have that problem this month. So hopefully well have the items up on the 1st. Also, keep in mind saga is out, so Tron and I are eagar to pour through the SE and start estimating what kind of effort it will take to roll the entire sourcebook over and do a saga conversion (while still keeping D20 going as well)
  9. KudosDas Jedi Master

star 2
    Looking forward to it guys as always. :)
  10. JediAlly Force Ghost

star 4
    The next part is up. Or should I say half of the next part is up. Keith's internet connection is down for the time being, so his half is inabsentia.

I might have more to comment about this chapter next month when the entirety is up, but I do have this to say about Darth Andeddu. Wicked stats, but have you taken into account his appearance before Darth Krayt in the Legacy comics? From a holocron no less? Presumably his holocron? I think his entry might need to be modified.
  11. JediAlly Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, it's a new month, but so far...

Nothing.

I guess DRL is using the Force to levitate those guys, preventing them getting here.
  12. JediAlly Force Ghost

star 4
    The complete section for Equipment is now up. I'm checking it right now, but from I've seen so far, all you clonetrooper and Mandalorian fans out there, consider this chapter an appetizer for next month's installment.
  13. JediAlly Force Ghost

star 4
    I just checked the site to see if the Clones chapter is up. Instead, I got this instead:

Hey everyone. Its no national secret that we haven't exactly been putting out our monthly Clone Wars D20 Fan Sourcebook chapters with the speed you are all accustomed to as of late. October 1st marks another month we will not be posting one. For this I apologize. The release of the Saga Edition Star Wars RPG has forced Tron and myself to rethink our RPG release strategy and come up with a new plan to keep things fun and current around here.

As a result of those talks, Tron and myself have decided to cease D20 Revised statting and focus instead on converting existing stats to Saga Edition standards and continue with the Clone Wars Fan Sourcebook in the Saga format. Our first chapter of Saga material should release Jan or Feb 1st, at which point we will make our future publishing schedule more clear. Thank you all for your support, and note that the current D20 chapters will remain available for download on the website for the foreseeable future.

Personally, I am not happy with this decision. I know the Saga edition is out, and while I like a few things about it, I think WotC made a mistake in the sense they went a little too far in simplifying the rules. Now if the powers that be go ahead and publish some more sourcebooks for the Saga Edition and flesh some things out, then maybe my opinion of the Saga rules might improve. But that's just my two cents. And I can see that a conversion from RCRB to Saga would be inevitable. But in my opinion, I would have gone forth and complete the sourcebook in RCRB. When that's all done with, then go Saga. By that time, some additional sourcebooks might be out that'll flesh the rules out a little and make the conversion a little easier.

Regardless of whether or not you like the Saga rules, or whether or not you agree with this decision, it looks like we won't be getting anything new until the new year, and even then it'll be stats converted from RCRB to Saga. As for brand-spanking new stats, like the clones, I don't think they'll be coming forth until the middle of next year.
  14. NarCranor Force Ghost

star 2
    I am very sorry the shift in focus on our site has changed toward a direction not quite as much toward your liking, but as I am sure you can surmise from my lack of presence on this forum lately, real life struggles have been dominating both mine and Tron's life of late. Beyond that, Tron and myself promised each other that when things started feeling more like work than fun, that we'd tone things down, or take a break. When you start seeing chapters getting delayed and pushed back, it tends to be an indication that things are starting to feel like an extra job for us. That is not to say we will not eventually go back and convert what we do, as far as new material is concerned, back to RCRB, and even possibly D6 for the entire sourcebook as well. Note that the comic portion of our site is still updating with more or less monthly regularity (though the latest page for Tales of the Chu'unthor is a day or two late....gotta call TJ about that)

As for your concerns about Saga not being a fleshed out enough game...

Currently, we are basically taking a complete break from all the RPG aspects of the site, and actually playing a bit of saga ourselves, getting fully adjusted to the new system. We don't plan to produce any new clone wars material until the starships of the galaxy book comes out, at which point we are planning to do the Starships chapter of the Clone Wars Fan Sourcebook. After that, we will probably focus on non-stat chapters of the sourcebook, or chapters that are unlikely to be affected, character creation wise, by future RPG sourcebooks and supplements. For instance, I do not want to convert the Jedi Order chapter to Saga until the Force Unleashed campaign book is out, just so that we can take any additional force rules, powers, feats, etc into consideration for character conversion. Believe me, your concern is my concern in terms of converting from a very raw game with little supplemental information to draw from.

In any case, I hope this post can allay some of your fears for Fandom Comics' future, and give you something to look forward to in 2008. In the meanwhile, we may have some other little surprises creeping up around the web for you to enjoy. More on those as they become more firm.
  15. NarCranor Force Ghost

star 2
    Hey everyone,

I know it has been a while since I last hit up the forums to notify you all of a site update, but TJ has uploaded another stunning page of Tales of the Chu'unthor, and I thought you should all take a look. In the past few months, we have also added RPG D20 chapters, a news post about the future of our D20 updates, and more comic book pages of Cracken's Crew.

There are also a handful of exciting things in Fandom Comics' future over 2008, many of which we will start announcing as soon as timetables become more concrete, but plans include two additional comic book titles, more RPG material, and other exciting projects!
  16. NarCranor Force Ghost

star 2
    Hey everyone, just wanted to let you know that we are starting to move things back on track here at FandomComics, particularly with our RPG material. We have made the move over to Saga Edition, and tron and myself both have the starships book now. Our first chapter will most definitely be starships of the Clone Wars, and that will likely be followed by ground vehicles. We will not be converting over our force users until both The Force Unleashed and the KOTOR sourcebooks are released, anticipating additional character options for force users in both.

Starships are coming along quickly and easily, with nearly a quarter of them already done. We are not setting a specific release date, but we will probably keep it on the 1st of the month, and I can promise it won't be feb 1st, so march or april 1st is much more likely.

In any case, I look forward to returning to some kind of schedule on the RPG material, and can't wait for you guys to see it.
  17. NarCranor Force Ghost

star 2
    Hey everyone,just FYI, if any of you live within a few hours of Birmingham, Alabama, make plans to come check out fandom comics at OmegaCon, a sci-fi convention we got invited to over St. Patricks Day Weekend at the Birmingham Sheraton. Their site is www.omegacon.us . I will be running a Saga Edition Clone Wars game there, which will probably end up being a test run for the adventure campaign for our Clone Wars Fan Sourcebook. Artist TJ Colligan will also be there doing sketches, and all kinds of other fun stuff (like Ray Park!)
  18. NarCranor Force Ghost

star 2
    Alright it has been a little while since I have posted last, but lots of exciting things are happening over at Fandom Comics! First, we have posted the final page of our first entire comic issue! Thats right, issue 1 of 4 of Cracken's Crew: The Invisible War is finished! Steve Criado did an amazing job drawing it, and hopefully my shoddy script didn't mess things up too badly. Cracken's Crew will return in a few months with issue 2 of the 4 issue mini series.

Our other large piece of news is that Fandom Comics has been invited as a guest to OmegaCon, a sci-fi/fantasy convention in Birmingham, Alabama over St. Patrick's Day weekend. Plenty of Star Wars guests will be in attendance, including the actors who portrayed Darth Maul, Admiral Motti and Rena Owen, and official Star Wars authors Alan Dean Foster, Dan Cragg, and Dave Sherman. Fandom Comics will be there in Force, including myself, TJ Colligan of Tales of the Chu'unthor fame, and Dawn, our PR girl. If you are within driving distance of Birmingham, AL, please swing by over the weekend and pay us a visit! The convention website can be found at http://www.omegacon.us Jaws from James bond and Richard Hatch from Battlestar Galactica will also be there, among others.

The Fandom Comics website, of course, is http://www.fandomcomics.com
  19. JediAlly Force Ghost

star 4
    I checked the website to see if any new stats are up. Turns out one of the hosts there recently introduced a new bundle into the family. Here's congrats to his becoming a father, or maybe even a father again.
  20. NarCranor Force Ghost

star 2
    Riley is Tron's first, and she is still very healthy, thank you for noticing! Between the convention and Ryan's baby, things have been a little nuts, but we are starting to get back on track. Tron and I have done a few starship scenarios so that our new chapter will be nice and balanced with what already exists. Obviously we will post here just as soon as we know when it will be going up!
  21. NarCranor Force Ghost

star 2
    So tron and I have done some talking, and we are waiting to convert our existing characters to saga edition until november or so, as there are several books related to character creation coming out between now and then. In the mean time, we will continue with our starships section, which we have decided to release in three separate sections, the first of which is Starfighters. The starfighters chapter is planned to be available for download on June 1st at our site, followed by capitol ships and transports in following months.

Comics also seem to be getting back on track, with two mini comics planned on being the next set of pages released over the summer.
  22. NarCranor Force Ghost

star 2
    Did I say june 1st? Whoops, totally meant july 1st (really, it was always planned for july, sometimes when I post late at night my brain stops working). In any case, I have great news, the Starfighter chapter is actually done. There will be 32 starfighters in the chapter, 11 of which are uniques. There are no repeats of officially statted starfighters in SOTG/SECRB, of which there are 13 (from the clone wars anyway).

The chapter WILL go up july 1st, no question, as it is written already. Tron just has to do his editing pass and fix some things, and then I have to do a final editing pass, and then it has to be put into pdf. We will also have at least one, hopefully two pieces of original lineart from a new fandom comics contributor, and a few photoshopped things from Tron.

July 1st, its set in stone. I will be starting capital ships shortly, of which there have been 50 identified as participating in the clone wars, 34 of which I will be statting (16 are already covered in SOTG, though I will be looking into those, and perhaps restatting where I feel appropriate). The hope is to have that for august 1st, though don't be surprised if it gets pushed to september.

Tron has been diligently working on the transports, and he is about halfway done with the stats and write ups for them. Of course, we have big big plans for the transports chapter, and it will be coming out third in the starship series, along with a massive recompile of all 3 starship chapters into one pdf document, reorganized for ease of use.

Note that we will be using the saga edition style pdf, which should mean much much better printability with plain white backgrounds, for those of you that want to put these on a shelf in a binder.
  23. NarCranor Force Ghost

star 2
    Starfighters is still on schedule and will be going up tuesday, July 1st! It will feature a couple pieces of original art, and several images manipulated by anstrona to suit our needs as well! I have already begun work on capital ships, and have added a few more to the list, so that there are 40+ ships expected to be in the chapter. More on that in the next two weeks.

In the mean time, I hope everyone enjoys our tuesday post after the weekend, and takes the time to let us know what they think of it here and on our own forums!
  24. NarCranor Force Ghost

star 2
    Well, it is finally here! Please, go to our site at http://www.fandomcomics.com and download the zip of the .pdf for starfighters. 45 pages of crunchy goodness! I hope everyone enjoys the stats and the optional rules and equipment! Please please please let us know if you see any errors, be they grammatical, or continuity, or formatting, so that we can fix them up and make certain that we retain a high degree of quality on the site!

Note that this is the first chapter that shows of the skills of our latest contributor, Eric Allen! Also known as Uncle-Servo of the Star Wars Deckplan Alliance, Eric has been kind enough to contribute two pin-ups for this chapter, the Cord-Class Starfighter and the Corellian Lancet Interceptor! Both turned out fantastic, and any words of encouragement and praise you might have for Eric would be appreciated either here or in a new thread on our own forums.

Our own Ryan Brooks also altered four or so images to suit needs for pin-ups, the Delta-12 Skysprite was particularly fantastic.

Our D20 material will be getting archived very soon. It will remain available for download, though probably in just one large single file. We will be slowly converting these chapters over to saga, interspersed with additional new chapters over the coming months.

In any case, I look forward to seeing everyone's comments and thoughts on our first Saga Edition rules chapter! Capital Ships ought to be next, but well have an announcement about that in a few weeks, when we see how scheduling is looking!
  25. JediAlly Force Ghost

star 4
    Let me reiterate something I said before - I am not all that impressed with SAGA. I think they oversimplified the rules and removed a lot of detail that could have helped flesh out your characters. Hopefully over time, they'll bring back much of what they cut out in future sourcebook releases.

Despite this, I think for your first attempt at SAGA, you've managed to convey in your work the same quality that was present in your previous works. I like the modifications that are available, especially the Jedi pilot chair. It would help explain how Saesee Tiin was able to be such a fine pilot. I'm certain that this is a feast for the starfighter jockies amongst us, but a mere appetizer for the fleet junkies.

I have two questions for you, though.
    1. I know you drew on the Jedi Starfighter game, which lead into AOTC. Never played the game myself, but I recalled the press surrounding the game. That included the Force powers one could activate during the game, and that includes Force lightning. Now under any rules - d6, OCRB, RCRB, and Saga, using Force Lightning incurs a DSP. Shouldn't you have included that in the text - using Force lightning to attack another ship incurs a DSP?

2. Where did these starfighters come from: Kit Fisto's Jedi Starfighter, Saesee Tiin's Jedi Starfighter, Relay Starfighter, Wookie Blade heavy bomber, and Wookie Agr fighter? I don't recall ever seeing any of them, unless they appeared in video games.