main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Crackers Don't Matter: The Farscape Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Jan 4, 2006.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    [image=http://www.galaxycon.com/Farscape%20cast%20S3.jpg]

The second best Sci-fi show of the 90's, and one that was pretty much Sci-fi's flagship show until the acquisition of Stargate. After 4 seasons and a sudden cancellation (Sci-fi backing out of a contracting 5th season at the last minute) it's fan campaign, which covered print and TV ads, suceeded in getting a concluding miniseries produced- The Peacekeeper Wars. And, though it's main actors are now working on Stargate SG-1, there is still talk of a future miniseries or movie.

Defintely check out The Farscape Discussion thread in Amp for a look back at the reaction building up to and for The Peacekeeper Wars.

So pull up a frelling chair, and talk about a show that dared to be weird, and brought deep character stories and great acting, and, one that made most other shows look like the dren they are.

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I loved Farscape. I wish there had been a fifth Season.:_|

3. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    I don't think Farscape is one of the best SFF shows ever created, I think it is one of the best frelling tv shows ever created. Period. Of any genre.

I can't really think of a whole lotta shows that had such quality acting, effects, story, music and overall belivablity and Farscape nails them all.

I know many people hate the series finale but thats probably how I'd of ended the series. I mean not too many shows will end a series with the two main characters finally getting engaged, having a happy moment and then 30 seconds later turned into crystal with Dargo screaming in horror. That was a great ending, one that made me very mad, but a great ending nevertheless and totally Farscape IMO. What I don't get though is why they didn't cut the last 30 seconds and end the show when Crichton and Aeryn kiss?

4. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    The producers of the show were still ticked at Sci - Fi (the final episode being filmed the week the cancellation order came down), and figured keeping the ending as it was would make the audience even more madder and rail against Sci - Fi Chanel even more.

Hey it worked. We got Peacekeeper Wars.

5. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    It would always be nice to see the show return in some form. I remember when the show was announced, and waiting and waiting for channel 9 (ironically a production supporter, since the show was filmed in Oz) to get it on the air. Found it strange at first, but came to love every minute of it. Watched the Peacekeeper Wars on UK tv last year, found it a fitting way to end the run.

I'm still yet to see Ben Bowder (love 'em) heading SG-1, but I hear the role suits him, if a little bit stricter compared to Crichton.

6. jaina_clan_solo

jaina_clan_solo Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 14, 2005
    I screamed when they ended the series 'killing' crighton and aeryn.

anyway what are people's favorite episodes? I'm just curious.

Mine was Out Of Their Minds. The actors were all brilliant, able to to take on each other's characters. The intonations, little character movements etc.

jcs

7. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    My fav. episodes include any of the ones with Scorpious and when John blows things up....must be all inclusive....'Into the Lions Den', 'Liars Guns and Money'

8. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    The 'animated' episode is one of my favourites. That was great fun to watch.

9. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    For some reason my favorite episode is Terra Firma, I don't really know why. There's nothing really all that special about it besides Crichton getting to see his parents again, but I love the entire Earth angle in: Kansas, Terra Firma, A Constellation of Doubt with Terra Firma being the highlight of the three.

Though my 2nd favorite episode is either Bad Timing (series finale) or that spider episode where some woman is actually a spider and is stealing peoples abilities? Its in season 4.15 (can't think of episode name).

I love those two episodes so much because they finally give me what I'd been waiting for since the pilot of Crichton and Aeryn finally announcing their love to one another and getting past all that hard to get routine. 4.15 had Aeryn all pissed at Crichton for using the old woman's forgeting drug but she was satisfied with why he did it. So Scorpy wouldn't know and they announced their love for each other there in a hallway with comms disabled so Scorpy couldn't hear. Then of course there is the finale Bad Timing where Crichton proposes to Aeryn and the baby is indeed Crichton just their being crystalized is the only downside to it. :p

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Always dug the Talyn/Crais stuff, myself, really.

Small episodes I dug were Out of Their Minds (the body-switching episode), Prayer (the one with Aeryn captured by the Scarren)s, and Scratch 'N Sniff (the one where John and D'Argo have to explain their story to an extremely confused and annoyed Pilot).

But I'm a sucker for the big stuff too- Liars, guns and Money, Infinite Possibilities, Into the Lions Den and the We're So Screwed trilogy.

"Now I can speak only truth and that comes as good and bad news."
    "Alright, give me the bad news first."
    "The bad news is that you are married and you must endure as a statue for eighty cycles in a strange world."
    "What's the good news?"
    "Chiana and I are having fantastic sex."

11. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    Farscape was awesome. I really grew to love the characters. I actually saw the show after the fact, on DVD, so I got to watch it straight through over the course of weeks. Which was good, because Cichton was hard to take in season two. He was so angry.

12. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    LOVE this show. So fun to watch.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Saw this in the city yesterday and just had to snap a pic of it...

[image=http://www.denimfilms.com/shared/DongBu-bus.jpg]

Crichton: "That's no moon...that's a Budong!"

14. AT-AT_Commander

AT-AT_Commander Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2001
    Saw the peacekeepr wars over the weekend. and Now my wife wants to see this series along with firefly cause she also enjoyed Serenity. But i didn't relise how good this show was. Can't wqait to catch some episodes soon.

15. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Yikes, if I watched Peacekeeper Wars without the series, I'd be lost.

16. Queen_Pixie

Queen_Pixie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 1999
    That's what has kept me from watching The Peacekeeper wars(I've owned it for months) I'm afraid that since I missed various episodes from all seasons(but I do agree with others, the body switching episode was awesome), I won't get it. And why in the world don't they air the syndicated re-runs in order?! I finally saw the very first episode a few weeks ago, and the next week, it was in an entirely different season.

17. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    I wish they'd air them in order too, it'd go a long way to getting some new fans if the stuff was in order.

I think (for my station anyways) Saturday is in order and then the Sunday episode is whatever they wish to air at that time.

I honostly can't imagine watching TPK without the show, as that'd just get too damn confusing. Whose this guy who knows wormholes? What the hell is this guy smoking, seeing some weird dude in his head in odd clothes? Who is this Grayza woman?

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It'd probably be possible to understand Peacekeeper Wars by watching just the 4th Season. It wouldn't cover everything, but the general more important stuff probbaly would be understood.

19. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Hm, but even that would leave some gaps. Season 3 just to be sure.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    More the end of Season 3 than anything else.

21. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Yeah, that's about when things really start moving, although you'd probably be confused by the lingering Ayren/John storyline.

So, to be safe, watch the entire thing.

22. messicat_kenobi

messicat_kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    This is probably my favourite show EVER!

I have all the DVDs, and I even have the soundtrack for Peacekeeper War. I was really lucky to get all 4 seasons for $30 each, I don't how that compares to prices in the US, but seeing as you normally don't see even S1 for less than $70 here in Australia, well, it's a bargain for sure! I'd been given Peacekeeper War as a present, and the loser channel who was playing Farscape decided to stop playing the episodes in any sort of order, and of course after 11pm, often randomly and then just stopped playing it altogether, so I'd only seen up to the end of S3, and I knew I couldn't watch PK without seeing S4! It was just bliss watching so much Farscape! I loved rewatching my favourite episodes, and picking up on the cameos, Aussie tv stars mostly, and everything I missed the first time round. And of course, special features! Interviews! Awesome stuff!

John is my favourite character, his relationship with Aeryn is just so real! Farscape has the right amount of insanity for my liking! And the relationships have so much realism to them, species isn't a boundary! Maybe it's the emotion involved that I like as well...hmm

Although I am sad that it finished, I think it finished really well. I mean, sure, I cried at the end because of the characters who died, but I thought it was wrapped up nicely. It's unrealistic to expect a show to go forever and ever, you just have to rewatch the episodes!

23. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    The soundtrack for the mini was great.

24. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    Awesome news! Tonight at 11 PM EST Sci-Fi will be airing the PeaceKeeper Wars!

I don't think this has aired on TV shortly after it was first aired!

25. MatRags

MatRags Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2001
    I've been re-watching the show via syndicated re-runs every Sunday night on UPN. So awesome. They're in season 3 right now, as Eat Me was on last night.