main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Crazy Rumor Time: M$ To Buy Up BioWare!

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Rabid_Balding_Ewok, Apr 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    BioWare downplays Microsoft buyout rumors

>>>This morning, the Web was awash in rumors surrounding the future relationship between BioWare and Microsoft. According to reports attributed to the latest issue of Polygon magazine<<<

>>>"To us, it's really thin air," a BioWare staffer told GameSpot today, referring to the unsubstantiated Web posts. However, the representative would not straight-out deny the reports of its purchase, either, allowing some speculation about the alleged deal to linger.<<<

The fact that they wont flat out deny it is gonna fuel this fire till E3, hehe. Don't know how I'll feel if this is true. Bungie was able to put out a top notch game under M$. So if this were to happen the "evil corporation" probably wouldn't interfere to much. And if it does happen I want M$ to put Bio to work on a new Shadow Run game, since they own FASA. :D

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

2. Prime_

Prime_ Jedi Master star 2

Feb 4, 2003
    Being own by MS might improve the size of their development budgets, so that may be a good thing...

3. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    I personally wonder if this is a reason LA went with Obsidion for KOTOR2. Probably unrealted, but the thought did cross my mind.

¤Night

4. darthgoat

darthgoat Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    if so then another good company has bit the dust.

5. Miin_Bodenna

Miin_Bodenna Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 7, 2002
    if so then another good company has bit the dust.

not necessarily, bungie is owned by Microsoft and they've mad a few decent games or two

6. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    not necessarily, bungie is owned by Microsoft and they've mad a few decent games or two

Yes, but it caused the delay for an extra year or so for Halo. Also, it probably made the game worse than it could have been.

7. Prime_

Prime_ Jedi Master star 2

Feb 4, 2003
    Microsoft likes good business, and well made games are good business...

8. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    IMO, halo was ruined by this marriage. initially halo was intended an RTS. what we got however was a watered down console shooter more akin to Goldeneye. PC users got screwed in that the title was X-Box only for 6-9 months. when it finally reached the PC we got a pretty shooter with repeatitive gameplay. what was revolutionary became average. thats not to say that the original version of halo wouldnt have been just as average. the world will never know.

9. orangefuzz

orangefuzz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2003
    HAHAHAHA!!!! Microsoft's domination of the world draws even closer! [face_devil]

10. Darth_Gehenna

Darth_Gehenna Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2001
    Halo was a shooter well before Microsoft bought Bungie.

11. orangefuzz

Feb 21, 2003
    Halos aweosme what are you talking about!?! Sorry, I just love that game, I don't see how you can't like it.

12. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    At one point Halo was a RTS but the change was not due to the purchase of Bungie. Bungie was unsure what they wanted to do with Halo and kicked around alot of ideas before they setteled on a shooter and thats when M$ bought them up.

History Of Halo. :D

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

13. orangefuzz

Feb 21, 2003
    I got to the second paragraph and then I realized it total BS. The $700 and two goats is what got me.

14. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    Even after Halo was changed to shooter, the original plans were a lot more grand than the X-Box could handle and it was watered down.

15. Miin_Bodenna

Miin_Bodenna Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 7, 2002
    want to elaborate on grand?

16. orangefuzz

Feb 21, 2003
    It's weird to think of Halo as a RTS. I mean I'm no expert, but there is a big gap between RTS and shooter. There almost like opposites. Although I suppose it could have been weirder, they could have had like "Master Chief's Ultra-Kart Racing!"

17. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    halo was intended to be a shooter on a massive scale. think planetside but good. that "could" have been revolutionary.

"Halos aweosme what are you talking about!?! Sorry, I just love that game, I don't see how you can't like it. "

i've got a laundry list of reasons but i'll name 3.

first the plot was lame. fight aliens, fight mutants. welcome to 1994. even the something as crazy as Painkiller has a reasonably interesting plot. at least its different. this is the same old stuff we've had since doom. not that FPS plots are anything to write home about in general but after all the fanboys falling all over this thing, i really expected to be blown away not return the game to the store the day after i bought it.

second the controls. on the PC the controls are very imprecise. very rarely was i ever even sure i scored a hit on an enemy. it really felt like console shooter where precision is sacrificed due to imprecise input devices. ever wonder why games like Metroid Prime have the lock on system? because you cannot aim effectively with that analog pad. mouse + keyboard beats game pad every time.

lastly and most importantly the gameplay is amazingly repetitive. its the same thing over and over and over. there is very little variety. that equals boring.

i've got a million more reasons why Halo is The Phantom Menace of the video game world. get a good PC, play a real shooter like UT2004 or Half-Life. better yet wait a few months for Doom and Half-Life 2.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.